Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Orville

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

bluewolf wrote: »
    i just finished watching part 1 of identity
    ahhh

it's very cybermen isnt it
    wheres the doctor when you need em :pac:

Wait till you see part 2. Its on Syfy UK tomorrow by the way or you can watch it now online other ways. Still prefer it on the TV myself via proper TV.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Wait till you see part 2. Its on Syfy UK tomorrow by the way or you can watch it now online other ways. Still prefer it on the TV myself via proper TV.

ah i like watching it on the big tv. i could cast but it's a lot of effort
    thanks though!
    i will see if i can nab it tomorrow evening

Joys of a NAS box or tv connected PC

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Ill add spoiler tags in case, but i really enjoyed the
    Space battle part, it reminded me so much of Bablyon 5, especially with the Union ships flying in formation after the Kaylon ships, they looked like the Rangers White Star ships flying in formation and all shooting at the same time. Id be surprised if that wasn't an influence there.
    Id love B5 to get a HD Upgrade with better special effects like they did with TNG, for me it was an amazing show but id say its aged badly in that regard, i haven't watched it in years, but the storyline was amazing. Up to the end of S4 anyways..

Ill add spoiler tags in case, but i really enjoyed the
    Space battle part, it reminded me so much of Bablyon 5, especially with the Union ships flying in formation after the Kaylon ships, they looked like the Rangers White Star ships flying in formation and all shooting at the same time. Id be surprised if that wasn't an influence there.
    Id love B5 to get a HD Upgrade with better special effects like they did with TNG, for me it was an amazing show but id say its aged badly in that regard, i haven't watched it in years, but the storyline was amazing. Up to the end of S4 anyways..

Don't watch it. Even by late 90s standards the B5 effects look absolutely terrible, the look like Final Fantasy IX cutscenes

• Advertisement

haha id say so, ive watched all B5 a couple of times and love the over arching storyline and different aliens etc. it was great at the time. If they re did it up with updated effects id watch it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

There is always that old story that B5 was going to be the original DS9.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Ms

haha id say so, ive watched all B5 a couple of times and love the over arching storyline and different aliens etc. it was great at the time. If they re did it up with updated effects id watch it again.

It would be great to see B5 did get digitally remastered alright. The effects do look old now but its still a great show with a great story, some very cool ships and great characters in it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

It would be great to see B5 did get digitally remastered alright. The effects do look old now but its still a great show with a great story, some very cool ships and great characters in it.

Yeah, it was never about the effects. To be honest, they were crap when it aired too. CG on TV was not there yet and they suffered Vs the models in DS9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Draco based Amigas, those were that days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I vaguely recall an article about a possible Babylon 5 remaster, the gist of what I remember being that they don't have the original footage anymore; I think only the copies of the final composites exist, so there's effectively zero chance of a remaster (the TNG remaster had the origin negatives so they could easily remake the FX and layer over).

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Just watched the last episode of season 2. We saw a bit more of Kelly!

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Just watched the last episode of season 2. We saw a bit more of Kelly!

Yeah, even my other half mentioned It. First-time I've noticed it in the show. Then couldn't stop seeing it

Men so predictable. I really couldn't care less if this series survives. Its passable at best. Retro but in a bad way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Men so predictable. I really couldn't care less if this series survives. Its passable at best. Retro but in a bad way.

Women so predictable, making the topic about themselves :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Goodshape wrote: »

Good news. It is a fairly decent show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Good news. It is a fairly decent show.

I agree. I enjoy the humour and plot lines. My only gripe is that the CGI isn't as good as it could be.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I agree. I enjoy the humour and plot lines. My only gripe is that the CGI isn't as good as it could be.

I did think that the Kaylon battle was pretty nifty. Think they got a better budget this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sleeper12 wrote: »

I suppose it depends on what you want from a show really. Discovery and GoT had big budget effects but the former hid behind it IMO and the latter was much the same in the final season.

Plot, interesting characters who develop and internal consistency are far more important than flashy CGI

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on what you want from a show really. Discovery and GoT had big budget effects but the former hid behind it IMO and the latter was much the same in the final season.

Plot, interesting characters who develop and internal consistency are far more important than flashy CGI

Babylon 5 had great plots and storylines but the CGI definitely let the show down. Still a great show though.

BSG had the characters, the cgi budget, the music and it turned into a magnificent space opera.

The Orville is terribly bland. If you can't see that then you need help !

327167-Your-Opinion-Has-Been-Duly-Noted.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It's not that bad. IMO there is something a bit off about it though. I've only seen 3 random episodes from early season 2 and while they're enjoyable watching it just seems a bit flat or something... maybe just the budget or some actors who are just a bit ****, i'm not really sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

It's not that bad. IMO there is something a bit off about it though. I've only seen 3 random episodes from early season 2 and while they're enjoyable watching it just seems a bit flat or something... maybe just the budget or some actors who are just a bit ****, i'm not really sure...

I really enjoyed S2 and it does remind me a lot of the days when Trek was good and thoughtful. Like TNG was. Maybe that's why I like it. I like to thing of it as what the Federation would be like in the 25th century and it is a continuation of the trek timeline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I strongly dislike Seth McFarland and I really wanted to hate this show but I actually love it. Those last 2 episodes of season 2 though were utter crap. I usually love time travel episodes but they just got everything wrong with it and it was so out of character for the writers. Hopefully it was just a blip on the radar and not a sign of things to come.

I really like it but it is a bit sterile and lacking, well, something

I really like it but it is a bit sterile and lacking, well, something
    It's just so bland. Acted bland. Script bland. Picard and the whole crew elevated the whole thing. They made us take them seriously. The acting on this is brutal.

However all that being said bland tv is good too. Sometimes complicated scripts seem to too much. At least with the Orville you know it's mainly stand alone episodes. A 7 year old could follow the script. When as a tired parent I switch on tv the orvivlle is like a McDonald's hamburger. You know exactly what you get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭blade1

They made us take them seriously

You may be able to sue for damages Bob! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,683 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Its a nice antidote to all the gloomy Sifi with sh1tty characters like The Expanse et al.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    Its a nice antidote to all the gloomy Sifi with sh1tty characters like The Expanse et al.

Ummmm... No. Just no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,683 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Ummmm... No. Just no

you make a good argument :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

silverharp wrote: »

I think I bailed on The Expanse just as it was about to get good according to people. It was an absolute, total slog...up to episode 4 I think

Inviere wrote: »
    I think I bailed on The Expanse just as it was about to get good according to people. It was an absolute, total slog...up to episode 4 I think

I had to go back and try it twice, and then i was obsessed. Highly recommend giving it another go

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »

The first few episodes, even most of the first season to be honest are a slog. but it really does turn into an amazing show, and the potential for next season... you should defo stick it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Ummmm... No. Just no

Yeah, the tv show is utter garbage. The books are excellent though

Yeah, the tv show is utter garbage. The books are excellent though

What is wrong with you people???:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭blade1

What is wrong with you people???:eek:

You're on boards long enough now to know how it goes around here! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Ok, so I've watched the first two episodes of the Orville (my third or fourth time trying), and for whatever reason, I didn't hate it this time! I may have even cracked a smile and laughed at certain points :o

I think last few times I tried, I was coming off finishing a Star Trek show, so found the tone just too different and couldn't relax to enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

This is now on Disney+ and well worth the watch.

It has a lot of the feel of The Next Generation, Voyager and Deep Space Nine with more comedic elements and frankly some really good character development. The ongoing situation with the Kril, interactions with other species are all great.

It really does remind me of The Next Generation, which Seth McFarlane has openly admitted it was heavily inspired by, but much more humour and "human" interaction.

I've been open in my dislike of ST: Discovery because I felt it was too drama focused and became a show about a single character, which I kinda feel about ST: Picard too, but The Orville is absolutely a show to watch if you want new episodes of 90's Star Trek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

New teaser, new subtitle. It's out in March.

Ms

Is that a new bridge or a new ship I wonder? But then it has been 3 years since the last episode so I suppose a lot could have happened. It would be interesting if the crew on the Orville too had moved on 2 or 3 years as it would mean there would be the potential there then for them to do back stories to big moments that happened in them two or three years and maybe even a time travel episode back a few years.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

This is on Disney+ now so im gonna give it another chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

New season has been pushed back to June 2nd. New sneak peek released.

Ms

It looks great. Would not look out of place on a cinema screen. I would pay to see that in a cinema.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭corkie

So what can we expect from the show's third season? Details are being kept tightly under wraps, but it seems the show is taking a page from Star Trek: Discovery and ......

..... sending the ship and its crew far into the future. Per the official premise, "Set 400 years in the future, The Orville: New Horizons finds the crew of the USS Orville continuing their mission of exploration, as they navigate both the mysteries of the universe and the complexities of their own interpersonal relationships."

Spoilers link.

Can understand discovery needing ....

..... a time jump to escape cannon restrictions, but The Orville shouldn't need to worry, so why the jump?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Into our future, not theirs. I'm pretty sure the gap was always 400 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You'd have to question the logic of all the people running alongside the windows in the middle of a pitched space battle, but it did look cool :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement