Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

DvB wrote: »
    The year is going so fast its scary, had the kids communion last weekend, we have our holiday in 6 weeks, then its 6 weeks of summer camp for them & then back to school & our countdown/prep starts... I know I must say this every year but this year is moving at a scary pace.

Stop! It's flying past! I've just sent our little girl into playschool all dolled up for her graduation photos! And I was just thinking earlier how quickly it's flown since September! When she starts school, I feel like the year will go even more quickly! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

31 weeks left til the big day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭DvB

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Stop! It's flying past! I've just sent our little girl into playschool all dolled up for her graduation photos! And I was just thinking earlier how quickly it's flown since September! When she starts school, I feel like the year will go even more quickly! :eek:

Since ours started school, (4 years ago now:eek:) we've been saying that the way the year is broken up into term sized chunks it makes the year go a lot quicker. Playschool/montessori isnt broken up in anything like the same way so it appeared longer, but the school year makes it seem such a short amount of time.

Still convinced once you have kids the years fly by anyway... watching them grow so fast makes you want life to slow right down, instead it gets quicker & quicker:(
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Still convinced once you have kids the years fly by anyway... watching them grow so fats makes you want life to slow right down, instead it gets quicker & quicker:(

Agree!

Funny how two letters in the wrong order can change a whole sentence :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

otnomart wrote: »
    Just bought my flight home for Christmas !
    Earlier than ever ! Beat my own record from last year, when I bought it in mid July.

I can now totally relax about it for the Summer.
    Maybe as a next project I will start looking at a Christmas market break for end Nov - early Dec.

Inspired me to have a lil at options for a Christmas market break.
    Find flights to cologne for 4 €323 all in, and accommodation on Airbnb for <400 for A3 might trip.

So tempted...
    Will have to reassess the finances after our family holiday in June.
    Anybody have experience of these types with small kids (3&5), is or fun and magical, or just a lot of hassle where they barely get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

• Registered Users Posts: 30,297 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Father's Day at Dealz!
    60892297_338962256819611_9087587887037284352_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=0ca0dfc042ac25f38fc435d054677ed8&oe=5D59F480

10 days until June Bank Holiday Monday.
    23 days until Father's Day.
    33 days until Rudolph Day/Half way point.
    64 days until Argos Autumn/Winter Catalogue.
    70 days until August Bank Holiday Monday.
    90 days until Brown Thomas Christmas Shop.
    94 days until Rose of Tralee.
    115 days until 100 days to go.
    156 days until Clocks go back.
    160 days until Halloween.
    189 days until Black Friday/Late Late Toy Show November 29th.
    191 days until December 1st.
    215 days until Christmas.

When you see it like that doesn't seem like very far away at all :eek:

Better starting getting organised!!

I remember discussing this with Loughc a year or so ago & saying that once we get into the 100's on the countdown the year really seems to pick up pace, I always thought the first 3 months of the year drag terribly but the rest just fly by, this year will be no different, its already going so fast.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

It's great to see it broken out like this! Although I do want to enjoy the summer as well, I will look forward to the preparations starting in earnest come September!

It's great to see it broken out like this! Although I do want to enjoy the summer as well, I will look forward to the preparations starting in earnest come September!

Agree, having got the communions out of the way last weekend the countdown is now on to our holidays... I am so looking forward to getting away for a week in the sun. Hoping we get a decent summer here too, makes it far more enjoyable.

My wife was saying to me last night about how I am always thinking of the future and what is coming up and I don't live in the present. Turned into a mini domestic as I said I do live in the present however I like to have something to work on/work toward in the future as well.

Needless to say I lost :D

I'd be a bit guilty of that myself TRS30! Mr. CL and I often have this conversation as I can sometimes be like "right what's next" instead of just enjoying the moment. But like you, I love have something to look forward to!

I'd be a bit guilty of that myself TRS30! Mr. CL and I often have this conversation as I can sometimes be like "right what's next" instead of just enjoying the moment. But like you, I love have something to look forward to!

I use to be worse. I hated to have something that I need needed to be done, I would have to try and do it straight away and would be thinking of things that needed to be done in the future and worry about if I forgot to do them. Mostly not really important things either.

My better half (perfectly named) has made me just enjoy the moment a bit more and not to worry so much about things in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I do live in the present but I always have plans and something to look forward to.
    Enjoy your Fri evening, Elves !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Passed a neighbours house and they have a snowflake light up :)

D7Zq0RuW4AU3-L8.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I think we're all a bit guilty of living for the future.
    I look forward to Friday on Monday, I look forward to my lunch-break at 10am, I look forward to 5pm at 3pm, I look forward to bank holiday weekends and Easter... I look forward to my holidays, I look forward to Christmas.

I don't think I'm wishing my life away, but it's always nice to have something coming up to get excited about. :)

I look forward to a lot of things.
    From take aways to chocolate to the weekend to TV programs to Christmas.
    I'm easily pleased tough!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Good Morning Everyone!! I'm back!!!

How are we all??? I've missed ye all terribly!!

Apologies for the unannounced almost month long absence, work has just been killing me the past month, only coming up for air now, it's been so busy in here. I'm back and hopefully won't be missing again!

Posy wrote: »
    This is my 2,710th post here. :D

I think Loughc has way more than anyone though! :pac:

Yep... I'm not even sorry :o
    Its official, LoughC is MR CHRISTMAS!!!

Dare i say it, could he be santa? :D

I can neither confirm or deny :p :pac:
    I remember discussing this with Loughc a year or so ago & saying that once we get into the 100's on the countdown the year really seems to pick up pace, I always thought the first 3 months of the year drag terribly but the rest just fly by, this year will be no different, its already going so fast.

This is certainly different this year, this year has gone so fast already, I cannot believe it's June this weekend.... hopefully the last 100 days of the countdown will slow down as that's my favourite part.
    I look forward to Friday on Monday, I look forward to my lunch-break at 10am, I look forward to 5pm at 3pm, I look forward to bank holiday weekends and Easter... I look forward to my holidays, I look forward to Christmas.

I don't think I'm wishing my life away, but it's always nice to have something coming up to get excited about. :)

I completely agree with you Posy, for me the year is made up of 100's of little excitable moments, a long weekend, a trip away, a holiday, etc, all leading up to the most exciting moment Christmas!! And yes I look forward to Friday on Monday too :pac:

Completely agree. I think human nature is to look forward to things that we enjoy.

I have a tendency to be thinking/worrying/planning about things that I need to do rather then just enjoying the present.

Anyway, enough of my character flaws........

Loughc wrote: »
    Good Morning Everyone!! I'm back!!!

How are we all??? I've missed ye all terribly!!

Welcome back Loughc.

We've all being doing out bit to keep things ticking over in here. I believe we are entering the quiet period with holidays etc coming up. However on the bright side, we are nearly half way through the year so can soon start the count down rather that the count up :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

TRS30 wrote: »
    Welcome back Loughc.

We've all being doing out bit to keep things ticking over in here. I believe we are entering the quiet period with holidays etc coming up. However on the bright side, we are nearly half way through the year so can soon start the count down rather that the count up :)

I was thrilled this morning to see so many unread posts in here! Love catching up! :)

Car99 wrote: »
    In one word what is Christmas?

Magical :)

Some stats update! :)

We are 151 posts ahead of May last year still with 5 days to go, and last month we ended up 141 posts ahead of April.

We are 90 posts behind Year to date when compared to last year but I reckon we'll close that gap no time, the drop off from Feb hasn't been too much which is fantastic, there is a real sense of community building in our little forum at the moment it really is great to see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Welcome back Loughc. Hope you are well rested.

There is a mid year 'half way to christmas' party on here in the 21 June, I a defo going.

Jude13 wrote: »
    Welcome back Loughc. Hope you are well rested.

There is a mid year 'half way to christmas' party on here in the 21 June, I a defo going.

Well rested :eek: I wasn't away I was just bombarded with work :pac:

I do have my summer holidays coming up in about 4 weeks time, how about the rest of ye elves, any holidays planned?

Loughc wrote: »
    I do have my summer holidays coming up in about 4 weeks time, how about the rest of ye elves, any holidays planned?

No big holiday this year due to elf arrival earlier in the year. A few days in sister's place in Wicklow. Friend has offer their cottage in Galway so maybe a few days there as well.

Outside chance of a mini trip to the UK if can get a really good ferry deal.

You off anywhere nice? (such an Irish question, of course it's going to be nice however seems less rude then saying 'where you going?')

• Advertisement

TRS30 wrote: »
    You off anywhere nice? (such an Irish question, of course it's going to be nice however seems less rude then saying 'where you going?')

Off to Tenerife for a week, first holiday in 2 years, saving for a house will do that I suppose haha.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement