Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a rifle bullet knock leaves off a tree?

Options
  • 19-11-2019 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Weird question but its part of a thesis i'm writing (where i'm trying to recreate a firing situation):

If a rifle (not a shotgun) is fired up into a tree (say a sycamore tree or an oak tree), will it knock leaves down on top of me?

Does anyone have any experience at firing into a single tree and seeing leaves rain down from the tree as a result?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

How long is a piece of string?

Your asking such a vage question with so many variables to be considered that there is no realistic answer.

Variables, to name a few:
    1: type of bullet, grain, calibre, velocity
    2: condition of the tree and its leaves, summer growth full of sap, winter dry and about to fall.
    3: bullet placement, does it strike the leave in a vain or stalk, does it pass through the thin membrane..... or does it strike a branch or limb?

Unless your in a safe environment the practical application of such experiment would be rather dubious.

What I can say is that at 50 yards or so a HV .22 hollow point will pass right through the centre body of an aluminium drinks can with out seemingly (to the naked eye) moving it while a LV 22 bullet will send it flying.
    The faster lighter projectiles pass through imparting very little energy and leaving small entry and exit holes, while the slower heavier bullet passes through the first side, expands some what and dumps energy on exiting usually leaving a wider hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭GerryCarry

How long is a piece of string?
    Variables, to name a few:
    1: type of bullet, grain, calibre, velocity
    2: condition of the tree and its leaves, summer growth full of sap, winter dry and about to fall.
    3: bullet placement, does it strike the leave in a vain or stalk, does it pass through the thin membrane..... or does it strike a branch or limb?

Thanks for your response.
    1. 7x52mm, rimless cartridge, full metal jacket military bullet, round tip.
    2. Winter (but good foliage on the tree)
    3. Any variable. A twig or branch could be hit but should not break off and fall. Only leaves, or shredded leaves should fall. This is the type of situation i'm trying to recreate.

I haven't tried this yet in a live environment yet (as i only have a shotgun, not a rifle). Before i do i'd like to get peoples opinions here as to whether i can recreate the situation i'm looking for using this type of ammunition from a high powered rifle. I'm trying to get leaves, or shredded leaves to fall down like confetti. Can it be done do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

GerryCarry wrote: »
    I'm trying to get leaves, or shredded leaves to fall down like confetti. Can it be done do you think?

How many bullets are you planning on firing?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭GerryCarry

Effects wrote: »
    How many bullets are you planning on firing?

Well i'm trying to recreate the situation and capture it on camera. Hopefully just one. (i might aim down into the tree from a higher tree for safety purposes so the bullet enters the ground).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Jayzus, do NOT fire bullets upwards!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Does anyone have any experience at firing into a single tree and seeing leaves rain down from the tree as a result?
    If they have done this, then they shouldn't have a gun anymore.
    Can it be done do you think?
    Who cares?

DON'T DO IT.

This is not some "goodie two shoes" rant. What you are describing is reckless at best, dangerous at worst and on either account outright stupid.

Firing any rifle into a tree, in other words the air, with no safe backstop is a stupid thing to consider and outright f**ktard thing to do. As for doing it with a "high powered rifle". What in the name of baby Jesus course would require this, and why would you think it's a good idea?

================================================================================================

MOD HAT ON.

This topic is beyond stupid, reckless and to protect others that through a will to help would post plausible results, i'm closing this thread for review by the other Mods.

DO NOT try and post about it again.

You will get a decision via PM when i've discussed this with the other Mods.

===============================================================================================
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement