Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BrewDog Bar Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dark Horse was the least like any of their other pubs. Offo, large non-craft-drinking regulars base etc.

Their business model is leasing pubs (mostly) and not doing expensive refits so chopping and changing is to be expected.

Must get to the Beer Traders if there's even the vaguest chance its closing, need to keep my completion stats high :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I wonder if the nearby spoons killed them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

RasTa wrote: »
    I wonder if the nearby spoons killed them

I wouldn't think so, it was doing well at one stage, but chopping and changing Staff/management on a constant basis is never going to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I wouldn't think so, it was doing well at one stage, but chopping and changing Staff/management on a constant basis is never going to help.

As far as I can see, that's the way it is in all the GBB bars.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Niall Phelan saying in the SBP theyve a site identified to buy in the next 5 to 6 weeks and another in the pipeline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

L1011 wrote: »
    Niall Phelan saying in the SBP theyve a site identified to buy in the next 5 to 6 weeks and another in the pipeline

I suspect it will be popular, but I do t think their brand and quality is not where it was a few yeaes ago

Anytime I walk buy the one in Manchester it's always men dressed in suits inside. So many better bars over here so you can kinda see why it's mainly the office or convention crowds that go in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

oblivious wrote: »
    I suspect it will be popular, but I do t think their brand and quality is not where it was a few yeaes ago

Not normally in Tesco but was the other day, got a 4 pack of PUNK IPA for €8 and felt it was nowhere near as good as it used to be, not sure if it's my taste changing or change in recipe - it's not me it's you kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

I still love Punk IPA...

Regularly pick up the 12 can fridge packs up north for £13

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

I suspect it will be popular, but I do t think their brand  and quality  is not where  it was a few yeaes ago

Not normally in Tesco but was the other day, got a 4 pack of PUNK IPA for €8 and felt it was nowhere near as good as it used to be, not sure if it's my taste changing or change in recipe - it's not me it's you kind of thing.
    I think taste change after a while. Its only 5.6% and moderately hoppy. I love Elvis juice though and the born to die is my favorite dipa out there.
    Im looking forward to this bar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Got a 4 pack of PUNK IPA for €8 and felt it was nowhere near as good as it used to be, not sure if it's my taste changing or change in recipe - it's not me it's you kind of thing.

I've noticed a change in it as well. Prefer the older flavour myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The recipe did change. Not sure of the exact date but they do have two recipes in their recipe/Brewing guide book.

Was many years ago, the first one turned up as Original Punk a while ago (possibly May '17) in the bars and it was the stuff I remember slightly horrifying me when my beer experiences to date were macro lagers, Guinness and some very traditional English ales.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The recipe did change. Not sure of the exact date but they do have two recipes in their recipe/Brewing guide book.

More than one I believe, the first was an abv drop and the later on with hopping rates (IMHOP)

More than one I believe, the first was an abv drop and the later on with hopping rates (IMHOP)

I’ll dig it out later and check.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I’ll dig it out later and check.

According to the book there has been 2 iterations, 2007-2010 & 2010-Present

6% to 5.6%

Over twice the hops in the latest version.

Ahtanum, Chinook, Crystal, Motueka in the original version

Chinook, Ahtanum, Simcoe, Nelson Sauvin, Cascade, Amarillo in the latest.

Malts are Extra Pale in both with the addition of a small amount of Caramalt in the latest version.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Punk 1 was very closely based on Thornbridge Jaipur which Martin Dickie developed before setting up BrewDog.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

With any luck the next version will be better

The company "blueprint" for 2019, released today, has the Dublin bar slated to open next June. There are no other details.

Talking to someone from brewdog today who is over on a trade visit and they expect to be opening the bar here in September. They are hoping to have the licence sorted this week and a site is being built in Dublin which they will be leasing. Lots of marketing/advertising planned for the summer.
    They are also hoping to open one in Cork in the future.

• Advertisement

I heard recently that Delaney's on North King Street was one of the previous sites that fell through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Honestly not that pushed on this opening anymore. A few years ago I was looking forward to the option but after being to a few of the newer UK ones I'm not a fan of the bars.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

matrim wrote: »
    Honestly not that pushed on this opening anymore. A few years ago I was looking forward to the option but after being to a few of the newer UK ones I'm not a fan of the bars.

It's getting a big dragged out alright. As well, if it's somewhere as far out of the city centre as Delaney's is I'd not have the time to visit much either.

Their bars are rubbish. Good stuff on the guest taps sometime but has that generic chain feel of the UK

It all depends on location I suppose.

Any chance that they'd have a Bottledog (Off Licence) attached to whatever premises they open?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Think they’ve missed the boat tbh.

Think they’ve missed the boat tbh.

You may be right. It wouldn't exactly be offering anything new. It's like the RDS beer festival. When it opened first it was the only place to get such a wide selection of beers in one place, now craft beer pubs are ten a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Slightly OT, but anyone been to Brewdog in Liverpool?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Me too

Advertisement