Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BrewDog Bar Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Edinburgh is ok, Glasgow one isn't much better (but grand for daytime drinking). Glasgow also has a Doghouse, which is their BBQ type establishment. It's not great at all if you just want to drink as most of the tables are reserved for eating. It does have a great bottleshop attached to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just back from Edinburgh where I was really looking forward to visiting the brewdog bar, but it was very uninviting and uncomfortable.

I too was expecting something better than what we're used to in Dublin, but the reverse was the fact and apparently that's the standard across the board.
    Hopefully they'll offer a decent bottledog facility.

Edinburgh one is not a great bar in any shape or form tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The one in Newcastle is quite nice, I was there a few years back during some hot weather that had no business being so far North and we popped in and the place was air conditioned! We stayed for the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The only one I've ever been in was the one in Manchester and I thought it was really nice. All the other lads, who weren't craft beer drinkers (at the time!), really loved it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I've being to Camden, Tokyo and Barcelona and they were all sterile compared to other bars in the city. Too much style over substance

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've done Leeds (nice), Brighton (very nice) and Birmingham (poor and the area is VERY rough on weekend evenings) multiple times so far. Every single time staff mention there being Irish plans when they hear the accent or see a BOI card.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭listermint

L1011 wrote: »
    I've done Leeds (nice), Brighton (very nice) and Birmingham (poor and the area is VERY rough on weekend evenings) multiple times so far. Every single time staff mention there being Irish plans when they hear the accent or see a BOI card.

Plains ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭squonk

The one in Shoreditch is OK. It's a bit basic but it's grand.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

listermint wrote: »
    Plains ?

Plans, as in "oh! we're planning a bar in Dublin" gets mentioned pretty much every time.

Lad behind the bar in the Brighton branch interrogated me on my preferred Irish craft beers and took notes for management on them - no idea if they did ever get a Rustbucket tap in, but it might have had some affect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

Ah man, that area is far from rough, take it as someone local who has been to most of the rough areas of Birmingham!!
    There are a few winos drinking on the street, but thats more to do with its proximity to the train station than anything else but they rarely give any trouble except the odd "spare some change" line.

In saying that, the Brewdog there has gone rapidly downhill in last 12 months, large turnover of staff and the place just does not seem to have the enthusiasm there anymore. We used to always include it in our regular town pub hopping tour, but less and less now.

• Advertisement

gucci wrote: »
    Ah man, that area is far from rough, take it as someone local who has been to most of the rough areas of Birmingham!!
    There are a few winos drinking on the street, but thats more to do with its proximity to the train station than anything else but they rarely give any trouble except the odd "spare some change" line.

In saying that, the Brewdog there has gone rapidly downhill in last 12 months, large turnover of staff and the place just does not seem to have the enthusiasm there anymore. We used to always include it in our regular town pub hopping tour, but less and less now.

I work in East Wall and I wasn't happy staying there for any longer than required! Digbeth after was like a haven of tranquility in comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

There's a new one in Brussels right opposite Gare Central. Its v nice with a great big balcony. Provided a welcome change of pace for a few hours but given whats available in Brussels anyway it'll be interesting to see will they last!?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JoeLapira

I was at the one in Manchester and thought it was a very good bar. I went on a Tuesday evening so it was pretty quiet but the service was very good, the beer was excellent and they had pinball machines, what more could you want. Heading over to London next weekend and i'll be calling into one or two of the bars there aswell. It would be great of they opened up a spot in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Has there been any news on when/where they're planning on opening in Dublin?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Kevski wrote: »
    Has there been any news on when/where they're planning on opening in Dublin?
    Only that Dublin is no longer on their list of international targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

BeerNut wrote: »
    Only that Dublin is no longer on their list of international targets.

Hmmmmm
    That is interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FredDunkirk

Just back from Edinburgh where I was really looking forward to visiting the brewdog bar, but it was very uninviting and uncomfortable.

I too was expecting something better than what we're used to in Dublin, but the reverse was the fact and apparently that's the standard across the board.
    Hopefully they'll offer a decent bottledog facility.

I have read about the bottledog offering dedicated growler filling station for takeaway draft beer. Any advice on for a novice "growlee"? I'd love to give it a go myself. What growler options are there in Dublin?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Latest update...
    Dublin – We had a licence partner lined up but unfortunately it fell through. We are currently reviewing Dublin strategy but other sites as it is high up our priority list and will keep you informed.

There are maybe ten currently empty actively licenced premises in the city centre or close in (they do not always go dead central). That's about the number you'll get in a medium sized British town; and its a lot easier to get a new licence there. Suspect they're tearing their hair out over how awkward it is to get going here.

There are maybe ten currently empty actively licenced premises in the city centre or close in (they do not always go dead central). That's about the number you'll get in a medium sized British town; and its a lot easier to get a new licence there. Suspect they're tearing their hair out over how awkward it is to get going here.
    Tragic.
    It reminds me of the grief whetherspoons had

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

I think the problem is, they don't buy the properties they use, all the UK ones are on long term leases (20 yr plus)
    That and I think pub's are becoming attractive investments again with the upturn in the Dublin economy so leasing isn't being done, they're being bought.

If BD want to open here, which I seriously question at this point, they quite frankly are going to have to put their money where their mouth is. Purchase a building. Hell, there are ex industrial units in Smithfield that'd be perfect for their brew pub concept, which they're going ahead with in Paris AFAIK.

sofireland wrote: »
    I think the problem is, they don't buy the properties they use, all the UK ones are on long term leases (20 yr plus)
    That and I think pub's are becoming attractive investments again with the upturn in the Dublin economy so leasing isn't being done, they're being bought.

If BD want to open here, which I seriously question at this point, they quite frankly are going to have to put their money where their mouth is. Purchase a building. Hell, there are ex industrial units in Smithfield that'd be perfect for their brew pub concept, which they're going ahead with in Paris AFAIK.

Is that how GBB are operating theirs?

GBB mainly lease, but on shorter terms afaik. They may own one or two of the pubs. It's a sign that their model is proving more difficult as it took an age for Limerick to come about.

There is just that feeling for me, BD missed the boat, the Dublin scene has some great pubs now, and it's becoming more and more diverse with the likes of Underdog being added to the scene.

GBB mainly lease, but on shorter terms afaik. They may own one or two of the pubs. It's a sign that their model is proving more difficult as it took an age for Limerick to come about.

There is just that feeling for me, BD missed the boat, the Dublin scene has some great pubs now, and it's becoming more and more diverse with the likes of Underdog being added to the scene.
    Yeah, it makes me think they'll get a hump and pack it in,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

GBB mainly lease

Which ones don't they lease currently?

Which ones don't they lease currently?

As far as I know Oslo. Could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mc Doc

I drunk lots of Brew Dig beers.
    I can't say, I'm expert, however I believe it is very ordinary beer... A lot of frustration every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

GB have pulled out of The dark horse, and Beer traders is likely to follow, they let the lease run out in Blackrock, closes today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

GB have pulled out of The dark horse, and Beer traders is likely to follow, they let the lease run out in Blackrock, closes today.

The Cottage and The Scholar's Rest in Galway both closed in the last few years as well. Bit of consolidation going on maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Bit of consolidation going on maybe?
    Not with Limerick open and Kilkenny on the way. They've always been pretty agile when it comes to opening and closing places. Mustard in Galway was another of theirs that they offloaded early on, presumably because it wasn't paying its way.

Advertisement