Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭Caquas

120 Km., compared to 83 Km. (Google Maps, from Athlone Castle to Ballyloughane Stand in Galway). Almost 50% longer.

Better to think of this as three Greenways linked together - Athlone to Portumna, Portumna to Gort, and Gort to Galway. Each is +/- 40 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how many people are going to be cycling from Athlone all the way to Galway or vice-versa, and how many of those are going to be in any sort of hurry? It's primarily a leisure/tourist facility as well as providing local connections between the towns along the way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Gort to Galway might be used partly as a commute route.

I doubt anyone would use it for more than 10 km as a commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You would get people commuting longer than that. Probably not very many in that or any specific area though.

I assume taking it that way is also to link up to the muted Greenway up the Shannon from Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Just seems a little on the cheap side. By all means go the tourist route but get something from Ballinasloe Westbound too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tender out for Muff to Quigley's Point greenway construction

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Few more snaps there of between Confey and Louisa Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its frustrating its taken so long for SDCC to get this done. The next section (90% in Kildare) has been done for AAAAAAAGES. If they'd completed it already you could join in Inchicore, fly down to Ponsonby Bridge then wing it north to Sallins for a burger in Lock 13. Perfect for the casual daytripper.

Elsewhere in their purview the contractors on the Dodder Greenway are taking forever to finish a small section between Tesco and Rathfarnham Cross. Seems like they either do nothing or have 1/10th the staff that would be reasonable. The bits that are done are swarmed, people want them. Need to get a move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭nilhg

KCC has almost none of that section done? Works started from Sallins eastwards but only on a short section as yet I think.

https://kildarecoco.ie/AllServices/Planning/PublicRealm/GrandCanalGreenway/Grand%20Canal%20Greenway%20.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

In fairness, that is because ABP refused permission for parts which need to go through the process again. It says work is ongoing on two sections and works to start on others this year, hopefully there will be some meaningful lengths open in the near future.

Why are councils in control of building these cross county projects.

Is there no other way ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

When I say done I mean its usable on a bike. https://goo.gl/maps/3fSWjTA6j2LkeLvC6

The Sallins to Ponsonby bit is under construction but the diversion to get around that isnt too bad to ride. Diverting at Peamount is a dog though, not one you'd want to do with novice riders.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It would be easier now to travel via Adamstown and then along Tubber Lane via the newly opened Celbridge link road

Why would want someone else "in control" of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Because CCs are awful at organising infrastructure.

In Donegal the CC had funding granted for a greenway crossing the border from Derry and following old railway path around Inishowen. Process began over 5 years ago and they still havent managed to submit an application for planning.

Some of the European grants they had are now expired I believe. Project is a total quagmire.

Because work varies too much between councils. Some sections get finished which other parts take years because of a useless council.

Intercounty projects should have intercounty management.

Some CCs are awful at infrastructure (and some awful at just about everything) but in this case, part of the project was refused by ABP. Doesn't matter who is over the project, nobody can do any work on what was refused. KCC are doing work on some sections which were approved and are to start on other sections this year.

On Donegal, I have seen that they have several "greenways" is planning but some of it is a path alongside the road. This is the case for Muff to Quigley's Point which has gone to tender as per post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The only "greenways" completed in donegal to date are a <10km section of extremely steep incline between letterkenny and kilmacrenan, just 2m from the road, and a 2km section cross border at Muff.

Truly woeful stuff.

In planning is the muff-quigleys point roadside "greenway", and a similarly speced roadside path between lifford and castlefinn.

They had a chance to make an interesting routing alongside the river Finn, and instead routed it 2m away from a main road. Thats CCs for ya.

• Advertisement

Well TII have enough to be doing and the Athlone-Galway greenway seems a bit of a disaster so far (although that probably applies to most things infrastructure-wise in Galway). Another quango spanning the country isn't the answer, particularly not for something so locally sensitive. County Councils are better resourced for this (all have active travel sta now) and each has a vested interest in getting their own sections done. Intercounty projects involve all relevant councils with one acting as the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

Isn’t Aylmers to Ponsonby Bridge of pretty good surface already? What works are needed on that section isn’t that much I would have thought.

The worst part and the section that needed doing was Ponsonby to Sallins.

That makes no sense. You say CCs are better equipped but also point out how shte Galway are which is my whole point. One CC ruin the good work of the rest and CCs often have conflicting vested interests with some far more beholden to NIMBYs than others.

Why do TII have "enough to be doing" and CCs don't ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Glad this has started and that it is finally actually happening. This will be the best of the greenways - it will be amazing on a lovely summers day walking around Mountain Stage through the viaducts and little tunnels with the views over towards Inch.

If you're able bodied and have a suitable bike it's passable, but if you're a 4 year old on your santa bike it's not very enticing. Greenways are about more than enthusiast cyclists.

It'll all be brought up to a common standard, suitable for families with buggies, kids bikes and loads of things I can't even think of now as well as the folk who use it currently.

It's been an eyeopener for me to see the use the Blueway through my local town gets even though it's not complete yet or promoted anywhere.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hazelhatch Br to Ardclough Br is a decent surface with it being a mix of grit and tarmac.

The surface from Ardclough Br to Ponsonby Br is a solid surface as it is a road but could do with a complete resurfacing as there are a few areas littered with potholes. I think the council should look at closing this road off to through traffic before the greenway opens properly.

Way to take it up the wrong way.

The long term plan is to get it all up to a Deise style grade but in the meantime there's no reason not do a small bit that unlocks use for many.

A long old stretch is this gravel that a 5yo can easily ride on (you don't need to go near the water).

Galway is but one CoCo and seem to be pretty near if not bottom of the pile. Westmeath, Limerick and Waterford CoCos have all done a good job of delivering greenways so its not true to say all are awful. The problems in Galway are not limited to the CoCo, TII have spent 20 years pushing a Ring Road plan which clearly never had a chance. My point about the Athlone-Galway greenway is that TII are involved in it but yet it is hardly an exemplar.

TII have responsibility for the National road network plus the existing and planned light rail and metro systems. They have an enormous amount of work already. CoCos have dedicated transport staff and are based locally to the projects, plus CoCos can utilise the Part 8 planning process. I'm not saying that CoCos are particularly good but they are better than the alternative and can be improved. There is nothing to be gained from handing responsibility to a different body (TII or otherwise) which has to take on all new staff and familiarise themselves with many projects across the entire country, you'd lose years doing that.

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm missing something here but the planning is in place as is the funding, the contractor seems to be working and the suggestion seems to be not to complete it to plan?

KCC have been very slow on the Gtrand canal Greenway compared to Offaly where most of the work is complete and a credit to the people involved, until recently KCC had no works done on the mainline and work on the Barrow line is much slower to finish than promised, even taking into account Covid delays.

I'm much more familiar with West of Sallins but have ridden as far as the bridge past Killeen GC and that wasn't a great surface, it's not far from there to the Dublin border, I can't see why a proper job wouldn't be done all the way to there.

Advertisement