Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Fire - Mega Superthread. All gig/new album discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Why haven't they made a proper recorded version of Burning Bridges? It's a great song, the only recorded version I heard was just instrumental:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

It looks like they will play Ireland this year. Someone posted on the Electric Picnic thread that they contacted Scott Rodger on Twitter. He replied, pretty much saying they'd be back this year. He didn't say when or where but it's not Oxegen. There's plenty of space in their schedule during July/August/September.

Here are the tweets:
    http://bettween.com/scottsmethod/scottrodger/Jan-27-2011/Feb-27-2011/desc

btw Scott Rodger is Arcade Fire's manager, just in case some people don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Looks like Arcade Fire are headlining Electric Picnic this year!

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2011/03/03/arcade-fire-for-electric-picnic/

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

Aldebaran wrote: »

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2011/03/03/arcade-fire-for-electric-picnic/

If it happens I'm sold.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Aldebaran wrote: »

Should've been Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga headlining. They've sold more records than The Suburbs have!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Day tickets ,yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

http://www.factmag.com/2011/03/14/arcade-fire-head-to-haiti-with-leah-gordon-unveil-spike-jonze-suburbs-trailer/

Sounds kind of like the project they were working on with Johnathan Demme before the earthquake.

Also worth a look:

Apparently, there's no Haiti DVD in the works, but they are indeed performing around the country with local artists right now. Last night they were in Port Au Prince, tonight they're in a more remote spot further out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

I got really excited when you threw up that Burning Bridges/Breaking Hearts clip Jill, but it's been removed by the user :(

Although I did come across them doing a lovely cover of Guns of Brixton, at the stairwell of Brixton Academy, which compensated a little.

Can't wait for EP!

Blah, damn. Here, try this one:

And Kettles, from the same show:

• Advertisement

Interview with Will on Pitchfork. DVD of 'Scenes From The Suburbs' out in the summer will contain some bonus songs.

http://pitchfork.com/news/42108-arcade-fire-talk-iscenes-from-the-suburbsi/

Will Butler has started a blog about their couple of days in Haiti. He's an excellent writer and it's well worth reading.

http://marcademire.tumblr.com/post/4518020665/parc-jean-marie-vincent

This in particular caught my eye:
    We did see the PIH clinic. It’s a collection of 8 or 9 large army green tents set up on a piece of graveled land just inside the border of the park. Dr. Louise Ivers was guiding us. It was pretty “M*A*S*H style,” she said. Except, we assumed, for the hilarious antics of Hawkeye and the gang.

Dr. Ivers is an Irish doctor who’s been working in Haiti for PIH since 2003. She’s been working in Port-au-Prince since the earthquake. Things that would make a person laugh, she laughs at. Things that would make a person furious, she gets furious about. She is amazing and lovely. But then again, as a band, we are racist for Irish people.

Dr. Ivers' younger bro is one of our own boardsies, and RTE featured her in a documentary a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Listening a lot to The Suburbs.
    One thing i wonder is why Regine doesn't sing more.
    Half Light I and Sprawl II are two of my favourite songs on the album.
    Her voice works really well with the myriad instruments they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Listening a lot to The Suburbs.
    One thing i wonder is why Regine doesn't sing more.
    Half Light I and Sprawl II are two of my favourite songs on the album.
    Her voice works really well with the myriad instruments they use.

I agree about her voice, its not the best but it suits what and how they play - I love Sprawl II, such an uplifting song...

She is really cute too - though I know a lot don't see this...I don't know what it is about her...

She is really cute too - though I know a lot don't see this...I don't know what it is about her...

She tends to look weird in photos, but I think once you see her in action, her charm becomes apparent.

Their Coachella set was webstreamed, and it was pretty amazing. There are videos and torrents on the go, and they're cracking, so they're well worth looking up. I won't spoil it if you haven't seen or heard about it already, but for Wake Up and the rest of the encore, they had a very cool crowd gimmick that went down a treat and looked very cool.

Anyway - The Scenes From the Suburbs DVD is to be released on June 27th. It will come with an expanded version of The Suburbs, which has two extra songs, Culture War and Speaking In Tongues, as well as an extended version of Wasted Hours. Not sure if they're doing bundles with and without the album, but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

Awsome cover of Arcade Fires My body is a cage. Heard it on House and was blown away by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Anyway - The Scenes From the Suburbs DVD is to be released on June 27th. It will come with an expanded version of The Suburbs, which has two extra songs, Culture War and Speaking In Tongues, as well as an extended version of Wasted Hours. Not sure if they're doing bundles with and without the album, but we'll see.
    Any hope for the new version of Ready To Start that's started appearing?

Would be awesome - definitely think it completes the song, I thought the end was really weak before - but not according to the Scenes From The Suburbs preorder listing, m'afraid.

http://store.universal-music.co.uk/euro/cd/arcade-fire-scenes-from-the-suburbs/invt/0602527701349/

There'll be an interview with Will Butler on Phantom this weekend.

http://www.phantom.ie/entertainment/7166-aracade-fire-interview-on-the-kiosk.html

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Came home drunk last saturday night and threw on their Coachella 2011 gig, was jumping around in the bed. Excellent performance!

Loving that extended version of Ready to Start too

Rolling Stone's website will be streaming highlights of AF's set in New Orleans last night, notable because the very epically awesome Cyndi freaking Lauper joined them onstage for Girls Just Wanna Have Fun and Sprawl II.

lauper_arcade_fire_nola_06_05_11_03.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Few more details on the deluxe edition of The Suburbs:
    More details have been revealed about the deluxe edition of Arcade Fire's The Suburbs. The CD/DVD re-release comes out August 2 in the U.S. via Merge, and as previously reported, it'll include two new songs, "Culture War" and "Speaking in Tongues", the latter of which will feature vocal contributions from David Byrne(!).

Also included on the CD will be an extended version of The Suburbs cut "Wasted Hours (A Life That We Can Live)". The DVD will feature the Spike Jonze-directed short film Scenes From the Suburbs, as well as a behind-the-scenes documentary and the music video for the album's title track. In addition, a booklet featuring 80 pages of photos from the film shoot as well as lyrics will be included in the whole package.

http://pitchfork.com/news/42472-arcade-fire-unveil-ithe-suburbsi-deluxe-details/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Interested for the two new songs. They sound new-ish so I reckon they'll be more nostalgia/uplifting themed than Funeral's depression or Neon Bible's ambition.

Quick reminder, the two new tracks are due to be given a spin by Zane Lowe later today.

Please note, this is not an endorsement of Zane Lowe in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jungleland86

Fantastic performances, would love to see them do an MTV Unplugged style show/album.

Just so it's known, the extended edition of The Suburbs/ Scenes from the Suburbs is now available in Ireland - people forgetting we're a real country and all. There's some manner of bonus material that's not accessible yet, too.

Movie itself is good. Not amazing, but good. I think I'm inclined to like it because I'm such a sci fi nerd - rather than my AF nerdiness, like - but I can see it being a complete turn off for folks not predisposed to either short films, choppy edit storytelling or soft SF. A lot of people are gonna hate the **** out of this thing.

Arcade Fire themselves aren't great actors, but the kids are actually pretty good. Really good. Pleasingly awkward, and story suitable. Could have done with a few less Win heavy songs being so high in the mix though, that's the only thing that rings a little forced for me. Doesn't make a tremendous amount of linear sense neither, and will make a lot less if you've not seen the standard video - there's a lot of stuff in it that doesn't feature in the movie.

There is a sense that they got more out of the process of filming it than they did with the end result - the making of is really sweet - but it's likely not worth double dipping for most folks. though.

Oh, the booklet included is pretty neat.

The film is streaming here.
    For a limited time.
    Didn't think it was great myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Going to see them tomorrow night in Hyde Park in London. Can't wait.
    For anyone else going the run time is....

Owen Pallett - 16:00 - 16:30
    The Vaccines - 16:40 - 17:10
    Beirut - 17:30 - 18:30
    Mumford & Sons - 19:00 - 20:10
    Arcade Fire - 20:45 - 22:15
    Curfew - 22:30

Its over pretty early I must say. Would really like to see Owen Pallett and Beirut but won't be able to get out of work in time. Just hope the
    weather stays nice for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Annoyed that I bought The Suburbs on CD only last week and knew the deluxe edition was to appear anytime soon. Bummer

Advertisement