Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade Fire - Mega Superthread. All gig/new album discussion.

• 27-06-2009 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭

Just a little bit in NME, but it made my June.

http://www.nme.com/news/nme/45573
    "None of us want to take three years making a record," Butler explained. "It could be that we'll play live [soon] and maybe we'll end up bashing it [another album] out fast. We're in the middle of writing, things are coming together, it's a great feeling."

Butler added that he's itching to get back to playing gigs.

"If you had asked me [about playing live] six months ago I'd be like 'No, I'm good'," he said. "But now I go to a gig and I get the little…I can imagine being on that stage. It's the step before you actually go and do it."

Obama shows aside, they'd been previously sounding very reluctant altogether to get back in the giant seven person saddle, so this is good news to me. I've been trying to tide myself over with Bell Orchestre and the thought of The Box soundtrack, but frankly, it's just not doing the trick. Live tour this side of Christmas would be lovely.

Profoundly unlikely, but lovely.

Especially since this time around, we might be able to talk about it here. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Good news,although I can see them being crushed by the weight of expectation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I dunno, I think that now they've survived the difficult-second-album phase relatively intact, they're probably making this record under a lot less pressure than they made that one.

There was already quite a bit of general whining from folks who just wanted more Funeral, and I think quite a few of them were a bit put-off by the doominess of Neon Bible, so I reckon that's already out of the way.

That said, I daresay #3 is going to be quite a bit cheerier than the previous one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭deisedude

New Arcade fire album soon you say

*wets pants in anticipation*:D

Ah, nads.

Looks like Bell Orchestre - mighty fine in their own right, I should add, and their album is well worth hearing - are going to be touring right up until November. Since most of Bell Orchestre are Arcade Fire's string section, it would thus be extremely unlikely Arcade Fire will be on the road this side of 2010.

Blah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Heaven Net

Obama shows aside, they'd been previously sounding very reluctant altogether to get back in the giant seven person saddle, so this is good news to me. I've been trying to tide myself over with Bell Orchestre and the thought of The Box soundtrack, but frankly, it's just not doing the trick. Live tour this side of Christmas would be lovely.

Profoundly unlikely, but lovely.

Especially since this time around, we might be able to talk about it here

• Advertisement

Okedokee. Story is, Album #3 is due in May of next year, with a single sometime before that.

Supposedly, they're looking at a few live shows starting around spring, but in all likelyhood, they'll be smaller warm up shows to hammer the songs into live shape rather than proper full-on venues and crowds. A separate source reports that the band have no intention of touring as such until June.

Eeeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Okedokee. Story is, Album #3 is due in May of next year, with a single sometime before that.

Supposedly, they're looking at a few live shows starting around spring, but in all likelyhood, they'll be smaller warm up shows to hammer the songs into live shape rather than proper full-on venues and crowds. A separate source reports that the band have no intention of touring as such until June.

Eeeep.

Superb news!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Fantastic news!

Something to look forward to in 2010 already.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Hope they tour! id love to see them in the o2!

I know it's a cliché, but I'd far rather see them somewhere smaller.

I missed the Olympia gigs last time around and it kills me to think of it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Even with the size difference, I think I'd prefer the o2 to the Olympia.

If there were any justice, they'd be playing in my house.

And then they'd ask me to be friends, and we'd all run away together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

If there were any justice, they'd be playing in my house.

And then they'd ask me to be friends, and we'd all run away together.

Sorry Jill, there is no justice in the world cause they are playing my house. Sorry:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Jim wrote: »
    Even with the size difference, I think I'd prefer the o2 to the Olympia.

no thanks.

olympia >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The o2 for an Arcade Fire type gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

quarryman wrote: »
    no thanks.

olympia >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The o2 for an Arcade Fire type gig.
    Generally I believe the smaller venue the better. I just really hate the Olympia.

The frustrating thing is that everyone wants to see them, they got big so quick and getting tickets to them in a small venue is like trying to get tickets to U2 at Slane, it felt like that type of a big deal event.

I reckon when they come back it's the O2 unless they just do a low key initial tour to start off, a tour to leave the touts happy in the money they can charge.

Jim wrote: »
    Generally I believe the smaller venue the better. I just really hate the Olympia.

And i would hate the o2 for an intimate gig like Arcade Fire.

I have no great love for the Olympia either. How about Vicar Street? Deal?

Contact Butler now and inform him we have reached our decision.

I don't really get the hate for the Olympia. I've never seen any particularly good bands there, maybe that's it, but it's not the worst venue in Dublin by a long shot.

That said, I'd love Vicar street. Or Whelans. Or, as mentioned previously, my living room. The sound wouldn't be great, and they'd have to have the drummer and at least one guitarist playing from my kitchen, but it would still be awesome.

I suspect next time around, the band themselves might try and figure out a way to thwart tout-types. I know Win Butler made a habit of sneaking fans into shows, and even for the Phoenix Park dates, they set up a charity volunteer thing at the last minute so anybody who hadn't gotten hold of a ticket yet could get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Vicar Street please, I'd take the Olympia though. Either way, definitely risking a Pixies style ticket farce.

Vicar Street please, I'd take the Olympia though. Either way, definitely risking a Pixies style ticket farce.

I had no problem getting Pixies tickets at the time, getting Arcade Fire tickets for Olympia was tougher for me - I got none! It's the luck of the draw I suppose. Had to go to Stockholm to see them, the only bad thing about that was we were the very back of the theatre and Win was verging on being unable to sing, they cancelled the rest of the tour the next day. Great excuse to get to Stockholm though.

• Advertisement

getting Arcade Fire tickets for Olympia was tougher for me - I got none! It's the luck of the draw I suppose. Had to go to Stockholm to see them, the only bad thing about that was we were the very back of the theatre and Win was verging on being unable to sing, they cancelled the rest of the tour the next day. Great excuse to get to Stockholm though.

i was as that gig too!

Decided to pick somewhere on their European tour and we changed from Paris to Stockholm last minute. Was so lucky, as you said, they cancelled the rest of the tour after the Stockholm gig.

Arcade Fire have agreed to license Wake Up to the forthcoming Superbowl, with all profits going to Haitian Earthquake relief.

They've been in talks for the last while for a couple of similar Haitian charity deals, so we can expect to hear a bit more of them in movies and tv shows over the next while.

Meanwhile album and related tours are looking like August at least at this stage. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Arcade Fire have agreed to license Wake Up to the forthcoming Superbowl, with all profits going to Haitian Earthquake relief.

They've been in talks for the last while for a couple of similar Haitian charity deals, so we can expect to hear a bit more of them in movies and tv shows over the next while.

Meanwhile album and related tours are looking like August at least at this stage. :(

Although I rarley come across you, I fucking Love you Jill Valentine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

The Marquee in Cork would be nice too, don't think it's going to happen though.

They've suggested - suggested, mind - that they'd like to play a few towns outside of Dublin next time around, so it's not entirely unfeasible.

ShoulderChip - You silver-tongued devil, you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Daithio2

Is there a service/ fan club type thing you can sign up to so that they give you advance warning that tickets are on sale? Like waste for radiohead or whatever. I have never seen them live and would be totally sick if I missed out!

They do have a mailing list, but they haven't really used it beyond a few discount codes for their merchandise shop and some charity fundraising stuff.

Back when they were playing smaller venues, your best bet was just to show up at the door and hope for the best. If one of the band members could find you, they'd get you in one way or the other. They used to quietly sneak people past security all the time. Wasn't really possible as they got a little bigger, the size of the venues they were playing just made it unfeasible. Once they got a bit more recognisable, and once people kind of started to expect it, it got a little out of hand.

Instead, they set up a charity volunteer program announced via a fansite, www.arcadefire.net. Anybody who still didn't have a ticket after the shows had been sold out could apply to collect for Partners In Health outside the venue. They might miss the first song and the last song, but they'd get a free ticket. Anybody at Phoenix Park last time around would have seen them in the green t shirts, handing out posters and taking donations. Up until very recently, they were one of Partners In Health's primary donors.

I don't know if they'll do it this time around, but I do know that they accepted a few more "volunteers" than they strictly needed last time around.

Which reminds me, if you haven't read Régine Chassagne's piece in The Guardian after the Haitian earthquake, it's well worth your time:
    I Let Out A Cry...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Cheers jill, very informative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Daithio2

Awesome Jill, thanks a million.

Assuming you'll probably know when Arcade Fire tickets are due to go on sale before they even know themselves, would you mind throwing a post up on here when you know? :)

• Advertisement

After I get done screaming it out windows and knocking on my neighbours doors and running down O'Connell street yelling at traffic, yes, I'll post if I hear anything.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 eeefa

Yea I've been looking out for information on them playing a gig here.
    If they're not playing Oxegen...I heard that they will be though (I don't want to see them at Oxegen!) then I'm hoping for a lovely summer gig...preferably not in the 02...

I'd be surprised to see them at Oxegen, to be honest. They won't be touring until August at least and I get the impression they're looking to scale waaaaaaaaaaaay back on festival gigs. They did something like 30 festivals in the space of a month in 2007, and I think they have lost their taste for them a little.

Electric Picnic is a better possibility, but I wouldn't bet money on it either, m'afraid.

Would be awesome though:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭starling.

Beyond excited! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 skeletonjones

Your all mad....Olympia for Arcade Fire all the way. Feck the O2...and I work for O2!!

Peter Gabriel did a version of My Body Is A Cage for his cover album Scratch My Back a while ago, the whole idea was that he'd trade covers with a number of his favourite bands, and then they'd return the favour with a cover in return. Earlier today, the New York Times reported that Arcade Fire were working on a cover of Gabriel's Games Without Frontiers, which would be pretty awesome.

Anyway, Pitchfork has since dismissed the idea saying that:
    According to Arcade Fire's publicist, The New York Times incorrectly reported that the band is covering "Games Without Frontiers". The band is not covering that song. It is unclear if they are covering another Peter Gabriel song or not participating in the project at all.

If they aren't doing it after all, it's a damn shame. It's a great song, and I can imagine them doing a really awesome job of it. And the idea of Arcade Fire doing a cover version of a song at least partly inspired by It's a Knockout delights me. They've done an old Eurovision cover before, which is only a slightly less weird notion.

In the meantime, it turns out that they were a couple of days away from a trip to Haiti when the earthquake struck a while back. They were heading there to record a documentary with Jonathan "Silence of the Lambs was goddamn awesome" Demme.

http://thephoenix.com/BLOGS/outsidetheframe/archive/2010/02/24/interview-with-coolidge-award-winner-jonathan-demme.aspx
    PK: One of the films you are showing is "The Agronomist." I know that you have a deep love for Haiti. Can you talk a little about it given the recent disaster?

JD: I would have been there today. I was heading for Haiti last Friday with the band Arcade Fire. We were going to do a music driven, kind of music documentary, against a backdrop of carnival in Jacmel - the great, now devastated, south coast Haitian city. We had our final conference call the morning of the day the quake struck. We were gonna go down anyway until we realized we can't really get there. My personal feeling was, those who go down two months or three months from now, with a specific mission in mind, will be valuable in their own way, as the people that are going now. So I'm gonna go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

I'd be surprised to see them at Oxegen, to be honest. They won't be touring until August at least and I get the impression they're looking to scale waaaaaaaaaaaay back on festival gigs. They did something like 30 festivals in the space of a month in 2007, and I think they have lost their taste for them a little.

Electric Picnic is a better possibility, but I wouldn't bet money on it either, m'afraid.

Would be awesome though:

Yes had the pleasure of seeming at Oxegen three years ago. Drummer at one stage climbed one of those pylons at side of stage and started banging the drumsticks against it. Was a terrific gig. . Think they have been four or five times at this stage. Will be very curious to hear what their new stuff is like. Love this one by the way. But opening track from Funeral remains my favourite track on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

These songs are BIG, expansive melodys that need large large settings to let the music drift and filter around.

Seen them at Oxegen and they are definitely a Mainstage band that can hold the crowd...

As for the 02 the new layout of it tends to make it more intimate than previously as its all so nicely packed and surrounded 270degrees.

From their manager's twitter:
    Arcade Fire about to announce some UK and international festival dates. the fun shows will be announced on the day

no way, what does about mean?
    how soon will it be do you think?

can you post the twitter link and anywhere i could look for updates

Whoops, yes that would make sense. http://twitter.com/scottrodger is the guy in question, but by and large he keeps pretty quiet. I don't think he realises anybody knows who he is, to be honest. :D

For updates though, I'd suggesst following the dude at http://twitter.com/arcadefiretube He knows his stuff and he misses nothing. His Youtube account is well worth a look if you're looking for good live stuff, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

God, Oxegen. Blah. :(

Still though, Arcade Fire, hurrah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

They better do their own show at some point too, I have no plans to struggle through another Oxegen. Though, if they are on the same day as Broken Social Scene, I might do a day ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Oxegen? FFs, why not Leccy Piccy!

It seems to be part of a package, Oxegen now for a stint in the 02 later on.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

It seems to be part of a package, Oxegen now for a stint in the 02 later on.

same as before!

Looks like it, yeah. Although I still have my reservations about the O2. I thought Phoenix Park made for a real "event", and it was great. Myself and some friends took the day off and spent a lovely sunny afternoon drinking beer on the grass before we went in. O2 can't really top that, IMHO.

when is the o2 event going on sale?

when is the o2 event going on sale?

No official word on it at all, it's kinda off-the-record as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Any word on what night there playing, cant see anything on the Oxegen site

• Advertisement
Advertisement