Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

anyone know the exact house types that are still available?
    there are a few different types of the 4 bed.

Also anyone know anything about phase 3, like when the houses will be available?

I asked sherry fitz but they had lttle detail and were more concerned with selling the remaining 4 bedrooms from phase 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

I'm unsure if people have realistic expectations of buying a property. There are always issues, you do your snagging and try to catch them. If you buy you will have problems and frustrations. There is a lot of advise on this thread on how to deal with Ballymore and hopefully avoid these issues.

Anyway, noise level of royal canal avenue can take getting used to. There are buses and trucks using the route that you will hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Manion wrote: »
    I'm unsure if people have realistic expectations of buying a property. There are always issues, you do your snagging and try to catch them. If you buy you will have problems and frustrations. There is a lot of advise on this thread on how to deal with Ballymore and hopefully avoid these issues.

Anyway, noise level of royal canal avenue can take getting used to. There are buses and trucks using the route that you will hear.

I disagree. If you purchase a new product or service you expect it to be fit for purpose. As far as I'm concerned the need for snagging is bad form on the quality of the delivery of the builder. It's fine if what the snagger finds is trivial, however, if they are finding loads of issues or things like kitchen's are just not done properly, that's really not them doing a quality job. Think this allowance for builders doing a bad idea came from the celtic tiger era and it isn't good enough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cronos wrote: »
    I disagree. If you purchase a new product or service you expect it to be fit for purpose. As far as I'm concerned the need for snagging is bad form on the quality of the delivery of the builder. It's fine if what the snagger finds is trivial, however, if they are finding loads of issues or things like kitchen's are just not done properly, that's really not them doing a quality job. Think this allowance for builders doing a bad idea came from the celtic tiger era and it isn't good enough.

Snagging is around a lot longer than the Celtic tiger. I remember my parents snagging their home in 1996.

The same thing happens in car production, the dealers have to carry out a PDI check before handing over to the customer.

Like everything, mistakes can happen but I do agree major items should be picked up by a decent foreman before the new owner gets to snag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

Here is the kitchen section of a house I recently snagged. It was not in Royal Canal Park, it was located in D16. In total the house had 237 snags! By the way the wardrobe units were also SCANDALOUS. It's like the builders don't care about what they are giving to the customer. Also the customer if they employ someone to snag the house then they do not have to do it. I often wonder what the finishing foremen / foremen actually do for their wages. Pride in their work seems to have gone out the window. It is a disgrace the way a customer is told the house is ready to snag when there are 237 items wrong with it. If I was the foreman I would not be calling the customer until the house was completely finished & I would be very disappointed if they found 2 or 3 items wrong - I would sack myself!

KITCHEN:

KITCHEN UNITS ARE SCANDALOUS.

1) Door catches on the frame & is damaged at the lock section. Door needs to be replaced.
    2) Skirting board is marked under the window.
    3) Window needs cleaning & the top junction with the frame needs attention.
    4) The radiator to the back of the room is not sitting on the radiator bracket.
    5) Wall fixing holes are showing under the wall light fixing points - see green tape.
    6) LHS door is catching on the other door.
    7) Remove the protective tape from the door frames.
    8) Seal the gaps around both roof windows.
    9) Both window sash frames are damaged under the window handles.
    10) Floor unit is very dirty - paint splashes, mud etc. The top of the unit is loose & the unit appears to be unlevel.
    11) Back socket box (blank cover) above the floor unit is black in colour. Change to match the others.
    12) Drawers have debris left inside.
    13) Fixing caps required in all kitchen units, shelf brackets are damaged, hinge covers are missing.
    14) Sealant required around the gas hob unit.
    15) LHS wall unit beside the hob has been roughly fitted at the lower hinge.
    16) Wall light fitting under the wall unit has damaged the unit when being fitted.
    17) Second hinge arm needed on the top of the small unit & also the small unit overhead the oven.
    18) Door to the utility does not close. Also the door does not open fully to 90 degrees.
    19) Seal the RHS architrave to the wall & paint the RHS edge.
    20) Screw missing on the top hinge of the door.
    21) Seal the tall larder / cooker unit to the wall on both sides.
    22) No shelves fitted to the tall larder unit.
    23) Tall larder unit hits the oven unit frame.
    24) All units are filthy.
    25) Screw fixing caps required.
    26) 1 No. light fitting not working.
    27) Ceiling rose not fitted.
    28) Rear of the island unit is filthy.
    29) Granite worktop overhead the LHS doors is scratched.
    30) Units are filthy.
    31) Hinge cover caps not fitted on both LHS doors to both units.
    32) In the RHS unit the electric box needs fitting properly.
    33) The soft closers need adjusting.
    34) Above the fridge unit the holes need filling & the electric point has been fitted too high.
    35) Water & gas stopcocks are not readily accessible & the areas around these stopcocks requires attention.
    36) Gaps behind the large drawer units need fitting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Is that in rcp?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

No it was a house in D16. Not all houses have that many faults. I have had about 5 that have had over the 200. Most come in anything from 120 - 180 mark. I wish there wasn't as many faults because it takes me longer to snag the house & also type the report afterwards! I was in a house once that had 52 faults & I considered it to be a very well built house which I would have gladly moved into myself the same day. I actually came out of the house & said to myself that man should get a medal for building the house so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 noriordan78

Hi,

I had the guy from KN around today who installed my phoneline. I asked about Bridge Avenue and he said he thought 1-7 were already wired up, wasn't sure about the others but he said if they hadn't been they would be shortly as they're not overly busy this month. You will still need to ring eir to book the installation though.

I rang eir after he left to ask about broadband and TV. I was told it could take 3-5 working days for it to come up on their system that the phoneline had been installed to move it on but to ring back on Tuesday to see if it had been done by then and then they would be able to process the order.

Hi,

I had the guy from KN around today who installed my phoneline. I asked about Bridge Avenue and he said he thought 1-7 were already wired up, wasn't sure about the others but he said if they hadn't been they would be shortly as they're not overly busy this month. You will still need to ring eir to book the installation though.

I rang eir after he left to ask about broadband and TV. I was told it could take 3-5 working days for it to come up on their system that the phoneline had been installed to move it on but to ring back on Tuesday to see if it had been done by then and then they would be able to process the order.

Thank you for asking about bridge avenue. Not sure you mean by 1-7, perhaps 21 to 27? Do you have the phone number and who I need to talk to in Eir to organize that? I could just ring their main line but I've seen people ring multiple times and not get the right person.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 noriordan78

Sorry wasn't sure of numbers, he referred to the houses being lived in as having been done so guess they're the ones closest to Royal Canal Avenue.

This was number on an email to ring if changing an appointment 1800 580 500 so I assume it's the one to ring to make one too.

• Advertisement

You have to have realistic expectations around the hassle you will have. That's not to say you have to cut the builders slack. I've had them back maybe a dozen times and there is no excuse for the way they left the ground floor.

I do wonder what level of inspection took place before handover as some of the stuff would have been caught by anyone with two eyes.

For those interested it would appear that royal canal avenue broadband is still limited to 8 mb. Eircom claim 20 mb bit that is only if you get no voice call traffic enabled on the line.

Eircoms line checker will tell you what's available at specific addresses. A few doors down can get 100 mb. As can the houses at the back.

kceire wrote: »
    Snagging is around a lot longer than the Celtic tiger. I remember my parents snagging their home in 1996.

The same thing happens in car production, the dealers have to carry out a PDI check before handing over to the customer.

Like everything, mistakes can happen but I do agree major items should be picked up by a decent foreman before the new owner gets to snag.

My profession is software testing. I work with software developers every day. If we gave the customer the software the developers built directly I can assure you that the computer you're working on right now wouldn't work. But companies invest money in doing these things properly as they know that development is a different skill to quality assurance and working to tight deadlines can make developers try to cut corners. Same reason pharma plants have a QA department.

If you think it's normal for builders to think like this, then you have been conditioned to think it. It's one thing to have a snagger, it's another thing to have obvious snaggs.

I amn't talking about the RCP guys here. I'm more talking about the construction industry generally. Don't want to continue to take this off topic.

Some anti social behaviour the last two nights along the canal. Two Muppet's going up and down on a motorized skateboard at a 1130. This was extremely loud and audible within the house.

Seemed to be targeting the new houses as the stopped at one point just to rev the thing outside of the houses.

Anyone else seen this?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭maciektok

I saw it on wednesday or thursday, These kids live in the RCP i think, I rang the Gardai but they did not show up, I'd say anytime you see it just ring the Gardai and the managment company, Sooner or later they are going to hit a pedestrian with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Nhol78

Can the management company check the cameras around the area, it might be worth asking them if this happens again.

maciektok wrote: »
    just ring the Gardai and the managment company

Gardai wont do anything about someone revving an engine loudly.
    Theres a bus stop oudisde our apartment in a very reputable Southside location.
    Twice in the past 4 weeks kids have taking to demolishing the bush shelter outside the apartment.

I rang the gardai each time and although the kids hung around for 20+ minutes drinking and damaging the shelter, no gardai turned up.

As long as its nothing too serious, try not let it bother you.

Cheeky question but how much were "the swan" 4 bed houses going for in phase 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Gardai wont do anything about someone revving an engine loudly.
    Theres a bus stop oudisde our apartment in a very reputable Southside location.
    Twice in the past 4 weeks kids have taking to demolishing the bush shelter outside the apartment.

I rang the gardai each time and although the kids hung around for 20+ minutes drinking and damaging the shelter, no gardai turned up.

As long as its nothing too serious, try not let it bother you.

Regular disturbance like that you would be better served talking to your community officer during the week.
    He will get some patrols in place to catch this faster than emergency call outs.

Regular disturbance like that you would be better served talking to your community officer during the week.
    He will get some patrols in place to catch this faster than emergency call outs.

Thsts useful info, thanks. It's unfortunate that the gardai can't see X number of calls comming in from an area and schedule patrols automatically, instead of hoping people will know to contact their community officer.

Anywho, that's a discussion for a different thread.

I'll get onto the community officer

• Advertisement

Does anyone have the details of the community office.

I approached the youths last night and the response was threat of assault and property damage. Called the Gardai, who did drive by. The Garda indicated I was the first call despite this going on for over an hour.

I agree they do appear to be in the development. Too much gets blamed on cabra and finglas, these two looked like local Muppet's.

Fine welcome to the neighborhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭maciektok

what time was this at?? sorry to hear that. we are here over 6 months and haven't noticed any antisocial behaviour. did you tell the Gardai that you were threatened?? also I think we should speak to the managment company cause at the end of the day we are paying for security

11:30 last night. I did inform the Gards which is probably the only reason they came by. Ill get onto the management company now.

From what i read there was a queue when the last phase came up for availability.
    Anyone got any advice for when the next batch come up for offer to help increase chances of getting one?
    Appreciate a PM from anyone who queued for the last release.
    Thanks!

From what i read there was a queue when the last phase came up for availability.
    Anyone got any advice for when the next batch come up for offer to help increase chances of getting one?
    Appreciate a PM from anyone who queued for the last release.
    Thanks!

We were in the second phase along the canal. People were queing up from the night beforehand. It apparently was a bit shambolic in terms of the queue and there were numerous resets of the queue list maintained by Sherry Fitz. We arrived about 3 hours before kickoff and there was something like 27 people a head of us for 22 or so houses. Most people however were queuing for the smaller 3 bed houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭janeybaby

anyone know the exact house types that are still available?
    there are a few different types of the 4 bed.

Also anyone know anything about phase 3, like when the houses will be available?

I asked sherry fitz but they had lttle detail and were more concerned with selling the remaining 4 bedrooms from phase 2.

I was told the following 4 still remain -

14 Bridge Avenue (390k)
    30 Bridge Avenue (390k)
    8 Bridge Avenue (410k)
    14 Royal Canal Avenue (420k)

You'll get the map on their website and be able to find out what types these are.

janeybaby wrote: »
    I was told the following 4 still remain -

14 Bridge Avenue (390k)
    30 Bridge Avenue (390k)
    8 Bridge Avenue (410k)
    14 Royal Canal Avenue (420k)

You'll get the map on their website and be able to find out what types these are.

Jaysis that's some price inflation.

Manion wrote: »
    Jaysis that's some price inflation.

I think the Bridge Avenue 390k ones have not gone up much. I'd say they are worth 400k personally. Think that's a smaller increase than average house price increases last year.

Is the extra 20k on 8 Bridge Avenue for the second parking space? Is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭janeybaby

I think the Bridge Avenue 390k ones have not gone up much. I'd say they are worth 400k personally. Think that's a smaller increase than average house price increases last year.

I'm not sure to be honest Cronos. When we viewed the show houses we were told by Sherry Fitz that it is 10k extra for the additional car park space. So the 20k wouldn't really add up unless they've moved the goal posts and now its 20k for the extra space - I wouldn't be at all surprised. Could also be relative to the new help to buy scheme for first time buyers.

• Advertisement

I looked back through my emails and can see the prices for these are the same as when they were released. They are substantially more expensive than the phase 2 houses though. I suppose that's to be expected as the development matures people are taking less of a risk and demand is more focused.

Advertisement