Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deal breakers and turn-off's in dating!

Options
  • 29-01-2020 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

I had a series of unfortunate dates recently and it made me post this thread.

So the first date was with a 28 year old woman from Cork and boy did I misjudge that book by its cover badly. Midway through the date she started lecturing me for having previously dated a foreign woman and how I should have only dated Irish women. Low point was when she basically alluded that should we ever have sex that I'd have to be STD screened since those types are full of disease.

I excused myself to the bathroom and debated doing a runner but returned and handled it more maturely had her blocked within hours from all social networks and apps. She works in an ok job and I would have thought she'd have more interactions with foreigners than to have such disgusting viewpoints.

Prior to the date she kept sending me pictures of her two small dogs, including parading them around her local town in a push pram and the dogs seemed to have several sets of doggy clothes also. Her main conversatons were the dogs and her hatred for her sisters boyfriend who had gotten her sister pregnant and constantly disrespecting him due to him being useless in a low paid job. I didn't know the guy but from what I could gather he was trying his best for kid and mum.

Anyway got out of dodge there big time.

Fast forward to the second disaster, met another girl who was 33 and I was interested enough in her. Again like the first girl she was totally obsessed with dogs and has six dogs, a big alsation, two collies and a Labrador and two small fluffy pipsqueeks. Her life seemed to revolve around working 3 x 12 hrs shifts and then walking her dogs. No way Jose! I was out of there like a burnt cat out of hell, there was definite psychological issues going on with her and whilst she lacked the vile judgemental racist overtones of the first girl such an obsession with dogs is a severe turn-off for me. I could tolerate a really small house dog who would be confined to the porch or backyard but not having big dogs having free roam of the house and into the bed etc! Yuck!

Unusualy to have such a string of dating disasters but eh. dust myself off and try again. What would be deal-breakers in a situation like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Darksoul

Maybe when talking to them first at the very start ask if they own dogs might help! Other then that your just going to just try be patient and see what happens with ya quest for a decent lady.

A woman fond of reality TV & soaps is rather off-putting. Sue me.

And I run a mile from narcissists.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Poor hygiene, self-obsessed, boring, rude, crap kisser.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

People who don't love dogs. In fact most animals..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm becoming very fussy in my old age. I won't date a smoker, social conservative or someone who wants children.

They have to be kind, independent and not looking for a mammy figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

Hairy box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

No braces

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Only trait I look for is to be disease free and thats not even a deal breaker

theguzman wrote: »

Prior to the date she kept sending me pictures of her two small dogs, including parading them around her local town in a push pram and the dogs seemed to have several sets of doggy clothes also.

And that wasn't enough of a red flag for you?
    theguzman wrote: »

Unusual to have such a string of dating disasters but eh. dust myself off and try again. What would be deal-breakers in a situation like that?

A string of dating disasters? That sounds like dating to me!

I like both slim and curvy girls, but when a girl shows up and has obviously been using creative lighting to hide her size, I find that a huge turn off.

I am a dog lover but dogs in a pram.. no thanks. Or having more than about 2 would be a concern for me(unless she's a dog trainer, vet or rescuer).

In the words of Bridget Jones, Alcoholics, workaholics, emotional fecktwits or perverts, although, I wouldn't mind the pervert.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Bad manners

• Advertisement

Motivator wrote: »
    Hairy box.

:D

I hope you keep things tidy too, it's much more pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I'd rather not date a smoker or a woman with kids TBH.

Really as long as you're sound and have your **** somewhat together then I'm in.

Also, when going on a date, for the love of God keep it lighthearted and fun guys.

Last date I was on within ten minutes of conversation I was asked "so, what do you believe in?"

Then followed a fairly heavy convo which I eventually steered the conversation away from. On the first date.

Then again that's what dates are for; to get an idea of someone. Trial and error.

Guys who 'don't like the feel' of condoms :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

If you have ever said anything remotely like, "If you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best", with a straight face. Die.

Unless you have massive tits.

Guys who 'don't like the feel' of condoms :rolleyes:

No one likes the feel of them though, but they are a necessary evil.

No one likes the feel of though, but they are a necessary evil.

Exactly. So by bringing it up they think they're gonna get a 'oh ok, let's not use one then' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Liverpool supporter. I was watching a match recently, Salah nearly ran the whole pitch and scored in the last minute against united, my wife Said, 'that was nice', I nearly asked for a divorce there and then

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Doesn't want kids.

Unhealthy or isn't into health and fitness.

Not a gentleman.

Rude to my family.

No sense of humor.
    Unkind person in general or doesn't consider people's feelings.

Isn't passionate about life.

Not at all spiritual or at the other end of the spectrum uses spirituality as an escape.

They need to be able to see reality ....but at the same time rise above it.

Also he has to support me and my dreams and understand i need to make sacrifices and still love me. And he needs to be kind to me and turn up at all my stuff cheering.

He also needs to be protective.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

No sex before marriage.
    Much less common than in the past but still adhered to by some. Is such a fundamental part to the enjoyment of life (or can be) that, in my mind, it is a major risk to get married before determining your compatibility in this area.

Nothing wrong with people who don't want to have sex much but you should explore this before becoming too invested in other areas of your life in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Liverpool supporter. I was watching a match recently, Salah nearly ran the whole pitch and scored in the last minute against united, my wife Said, 'that was nice', I nearly asked for a divorce there and then

What the hell are you doing letting your wife watch football?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Being rude to staff in bars/restaurants.
    Instant loss of respect be it when I'm on a date with someone or even just out for a drink in a totally non-date-like situation.

The worst I've ever encountered was a busy waitress made a minor mix up with the drinks, bringing the wrong type of coffee and a woman who was with our group snarled: "Oh for god's sake it's not like your job's difficult is it!?"

The rest of the table more or less cringed and disowned her.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Doesn't want kids.

Unhealthy or isn't into health and fitness.

Not a gentleman.

Rude to my family.

No sense of humor.
    Unkind person in general or doesn't consider people's feelings.

Isn't passionate about life.

Not at all spiritual or at the other end of the spectrum uses spirituality as an escape.

They need to be able to see reality ....but at the same time rise above it.
    That is quite a list to bring to a first date!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Xertz wrote: »
    Being rude to staff in bars/restaurants.
    Instant loss of respect be it when I'm on a date with someone or even just out for a drink in a totally non-date-like situation.

The worst I've ever encountered was a busy waitress made a minor mix up with the drinks, bringing the wrong type of coffee and a woman who was with our group snarled: "Oh for god's sake it's not like your job's difficult is it!?"

The rest of the table more or less cringed and disowned her.
    I hope you gave her a decent tip?
    (The waitress not your woman - she should be tipped in a ditch).

For me bad teeth, smoking and being into drugs deal breakers. Also messy drunks.

gmisk wrote: »
    I hope you gave her a decent tip?
    (The waitress not your woman - she should be tipped in a ditch).

We did! Someone even actually explained we hardly know this woman lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Noisy eater. It's just not going to work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

is_that_so wrote: »
    That is quite a list to bring to a first date!:D
    I know i am so demanding!

:P

Just being honest though.

I wouldn't say all that openly.

Lying is the basis of all relationships!
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Rule Number 1 of dating.

Dont tell the wife. Total dealbreaker

I tend to run a mile if I get a hint that someone's a bit of a control freak. You can usually tell within one date.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

If the woman smokes, does drugs, doesn't have a driver's license or car or has a weird OTT obsession with dogs. I have a lovely rottweiler but I dont parade him around the place the whole time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Fiannna Fáil membership.

Advertisement