Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Knock/Eirtrade thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

GM228 wrote: »
    I would guess the Dr. Peters Group would have an agreement with AF to crew the plane to it's final resting place, doubt there are many A380 certified pilots outside of the commercial operators for such ferry flights, though I could be wrong.

It has to be an Air France crew, it doesn't matter how many qualified A380 pilots are out there it's a very complicated procedure to fly an aircraft that isn't on an AOC so it's simpler that it remains on the AF AOC until it gets to its final resting place.
    Also it's quite common to have to paint the aircraft white as a return condition of the lease even if it's going to another operator who will be repainting it anyway so AF would probably have had to pay 'a fine' for not painting it. You can sometimes agree a settlement to pay but I would think in this case AF were quite happy to paint it to avoid the publicity when picture of these aircraft in bits start appearing all over the internet...

Plus I guess they’d be happy especially when they no longer own it. Bad publicity for no reason.

Plus I guess they’d be happy especially when they no longer own it. Bad publicity for no reason.
    Exactly, they don't want to become a meme...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was watching a video of a plane being scrapped on Youtube. Anyone know what the chains they use to slice through the fuselage would be made of?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was watching a video of a plane being scrapped on Youtube. Anyone know what the chains they use to slice through the fuselage would be made of?
    I've seen them do it with a JCB and a few chain saws. They're remarkably easy to tear down for scrap once you've 'harvested their organs', a couple of ramp agents with a couple of belt loaders could scrap one on a thirty minute turnround.

I’m told it’s still happening. I’ll post again when I hear something more concrete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Muahahaha wrote: »

metal Muahahaha :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

AAAAAAAAA wrote: »
    I find the act of painting over the livery on crashed planes to be far more of a waste considering everyone already knows who's plane it was that crashed.
    Anyone remeber the BA B777 at LHR. Sky had a camera pointed at it for about 3 hours before BA parked a fuel truck to block line of sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Assuming that we can make it on time AND the poor plane lands in Knock...

Any one care to share best route to the airport ,where to stay,where to eat.
    Whats the most effective place to capture the vibration of the engines and to see it landing clearly,without any obstructions ?
    Also,if possible to get closer near to the plane body ?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

They never owned it - it was leased ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Any idea if this big bird is still scheduled for Knock today, or has Storm Dennis postponed her arrival??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Cancelled for the time being. No new date yet sorry.
    Any idea if this big bird is still scheduled for Knock today, or has Storm Dennis postponed her arrival??

GVHOT posted this yesterday ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Looks like Tuesday now.
    Qantas VH-OQA arrived in Dresden yesterday, also destined for scrappage at Knock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

mayotom wrote: »
    Looks like Tuesday now.
    Qantas VH-OQA arrived in Dresden yesterday, also destined for scrappage at Knock.

That was the aircraft that had the catastrophic engine failure a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Confirmed for Tuesday. Time to be confirmed. The German Dresden aircraft enthusiasts are in full swing at the moment discussing the logistics of getting AF375s into the Airport. 3 A380's will be scrapped initially.
    I'm looking forward to shooting this from my usual spot. Packed lunch and a flask up on the gate pillar methinks!

• Advertisement

Confirmed for Tuesday. Time to be confirmed. The German Dresden aircraft enthusiasts are in full swing at the moment discussing the logistics of getting AF375s into the Airport. 3 A380's will be scrapped initially.
    I'm looking forward to shooting this from my usual spot. Packed lunch and a flask up on the gate pillar methinks!

GM228 wrote: »
    Privately or publically, the only "official" word I have seen is a resounding "no" from the airport on Twitter.

Ok. It's definitely coming. I have contacts in both Leipzig and Dresden. Knock info are playing it down as they want to keep it low key for their own purposes. They have nothing to do with Eirtrade.
    There will be 3 aircraft in total over the coming weeks. I have a pic on my phone of the first aircraft sitting on the ramp in Leipzig waiting for the opportunity to leave.
    I have it in good repute that it will be a next Tuesday arrival. No time yet. I'm keeping an eye on my German contacts. One of them is a despatcher.

Andrew33 wrote: »
    That was the aircraft that had the catastrophic engine failure a while back.

The very one

Here she is, parked up yesterday at Leipzig waiting for an opportunity to get going.

Looks like Tuesday now.

Yeah that’s what I have as well but this source wasn’t reliable. Looking forward to the photos and videos of their arrival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

The quintessential white elephant. What a waste.

Oh well, we all make mistakes, even Airbus.

Half tempted to go down to Knock for a gander. Never seen an A380 in the flesh before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

they should use the fuselage for emergecy accomodation in dublin, throw it down in phoenix park somewhere! get ethihad or whoever, to insall their fancy suits into every last inch of it ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Apparently the two Qantas A380's in Dresden are there for a cabin refit and there is no mention of any Qantas A380 being retired or scrapped yet. The all Eurowhite A380 is a former Air France A380 that does appear to be going for scrap. I can't imagine Knock as a suitable place to scrap an aircraft, wouldn't the constant rain destroy everything? especially as spare parts and not scrap metal seem to be the big money spinner from these. Getting the cockpit soaked in rain with a hole in the roof wouldn't see too many salvageable parts I'd reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

theguzman wrote: »
    Apparently the two Qantas A380's in Dresden are there for a cabin refit and there is no mention of any Qantas A380 being retired or scrapped yet. The all Eurowhite A380 is a former Air France A380 that does appear to be going for scrap. I can't imagine Knock as a suitable place to scrap an aircraft, wouldn't the constant rain destroy everything? especially as spare parts and not scrap metal seem to be the big money spinner from these. Getting the cockpit soaked in rain with a hole in the roof wouldn't see too many salvageable parts I'd reckon.

They take most of the valuable stuff out before it gets to the scrapper and they then carefully remove anything that can be reused before they cut it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

theguzman wrote: »
    I can't imagine Knock as a suitable place to scrap an aircraft, wouldn't the constant rain destroy everything? especially as spare parts and not scrap metal seem to be the big money spinner from these. Getting the cockpit soaked in rain with a hole in the roof wouldn't see too many salvageable parts I'd reckon.

I mean seriously, if that was actually the case, do you think there would be an aircraft scrappage company based at the airport? Do you actually think it rains there all day, every day, and never stops?

Of course an aircraft can be scrapped there, all that is needed is a runway long enough to allow it to land and at 2,340 metres, Knock has that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

I wonder will they road freight the engines out, or will they be picked up by a freighter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Lurching wrote: »
    I wonder will they road freight the engines out, or will they be picked up by a freighter?

Unless there is an urgent commercial need for them, whatever is cheapest, I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭hopeso

Did anyone else notice that all threads relating to this have disappeared from a FB group overnight?

hopeso wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice that all threads relating to this have disappeared from a FB group overnight?

Yes, with a post stating what that page was for., Which doesn't say anything about not discussing this. All a bit strange.

Yes, with a post stating what that page was for., Which doesn't say anything about not discussing this. All a bit strange.

One of the admins there throws the toys out sometimes. Needs to lighten up a bit.

• Advertisement

I never noticed the updated post. Just read it now. It is all a bit strange...... :confused:

greenpilot wrote: »
    One of the admins there throws the toys out sometimes. Needs to lighten up a bit.

Not much of a group then, if a major event like this involving the airport is off topic......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭sidekick

Sad to see it being scrapped but I understand the reasons. Curiously I flew it from CDG to LHR back in 2010 when AF was using the aircraft on that route to build up flying hours for the crew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

sidekick wrote: »
    Sad to see it being scrapped but I understand the reasons. Curiously I flew it from CDG to LHR back in 2010 when AF was using the aircraft on that route to build up flying hours for the crew.

It's a terrible shame these never really took off, only seemed to work for Emirates really with their superhub in Dubai. I have to say, having flown on one from Dubai to Athens, it really is a lovely airplane with a great passenger experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I flew to Aus and back a few years ago on the A380 and thought it by far the nicest longhaul aircraft I ever flew on. A real shame it wasn't a commercial success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

hopeso wrote: »

What group is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Comhra wrote: »
    I flew to Aus and back a few years ago on the A380 and thought it by far the nicest longhaul aircraft I ever flew on. A real shame it wasn't a commercial success.

Likewise - a couple of times. You'd think with the Covid-19 virus outbreak, some governments would put a thought to equipping these as mobile hospitals/clinics for just such disasters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Inquitus wrote: »
    It's a terrible shame these never really took off, only seemed to work for Emirates really with their superhub in Dubai. I have to say, having flown on one from Dubai to Athens, it really is a lovely airplane with a great passenger experience.

The AF ones are a bit dated now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

The quintessential white elephant. What a waste.

Oh well, we all make mistakes, even Airbus.

Half tempted to go down to Knock for a gander. Never seen an A380 in the flesh before.

I was on one for several hours from Johannesburg to Dubai. Nothing special to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

cnocbui wrote: »
    Likewise - a couple of times. You'd think with the Covid-19 virus outbreak, some governments would put a thought to equipping these as mobile hospitals/clinics for just such disasters.

Fly around for 14 days as an airborne quarantine? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

So, any hints on the best place to see it landing ?

Dublin to Knock airport,via M/N4 takes about 2:30 .Is that corect ?

503098.jpg

Are the planes landing from left side (East) or from right side (West) !?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,722 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

rolion wrote: »

It all depends on what way the wind is blowing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I was on one for several hours from Johannesburg to Dubai. Nothing special to be honest

I'd take a 747 any day! Not been on one tho... Biggest i've gotten on is a Aeroflot 777-300

Thursday now, no time yet.

I'm based near Knock. The airport is distancing itself from the potential for the arrival of the A338, as is the FB group, which is a private group set up by enthusiasts in the area. When the c17's began to arrive around Joe Biden's visit, things became daft as folks started posting erroneous info to both EIKN's page and the FB group so it had to be reigned in.
    The last thing they need is a crowd of lost Dubs trundling around the boggy mountain top trying to peer through the horizontal rain, of which there is much :)
    I do jest of course.
    However, that being said, Here are the facts. Yes there is a company based at NOC licenced to scrap aircraft up to and including an A338. Yes, there are up to 3 speculated to arrive at some stage....BUT...
    I have a friend who works at Dresden, where they now sit and he tells me that the aircraft scheduled to arrive here has just had a quick refurbish in the EADS hanger and is now scheduled to fly to the U.S. on the 24th. So, unless plans change, it's a non runner. I will however keep you posted if plans change.

• Advertisement

503098.jpg

Our prevailing winds come from the......
    So aircraft will be landing towards the.

:)

Thursday now, no time yet.

That's the original heads up got, however I received news this morning that Indicated another change of plans.

503098.jpg

Sounds about right on the trip time from Dublin, well I'm presuming you don't leave at rush hour.

Which runway it lands on entirely depends on the winds, thought I think ideally they will want to use 26 as that has a full cat 2 ILS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

eikn-ariel-labels2.jpg

If photography is important there are a few spots people use outside the Perimeter fence:

A- Main 26 approach (form East) lights/turnpad, good for overhead and elevated view over the countryside. Narrow local road so could park on the lay-by on the main access road and few min walk.

B- Local road passes 08 (from West) approach/fire training area, not best for photos.

C- Local cul-de-sac leading to perimeter fence/VOR. Good views for runway touchdown/airport in backdrop but limited car space.

--

D- The airport has a good viewing lounge on 1st floor for 26 approaches and main apron, you can partly see second apron with bar/cafe/parking bonus.

E- Hangar area normally accessible, but road could be restricted if crowds turned up.

20th 1130

• Advertisement
Advertisement