Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

threeball wrote: »
    Much better front 6 and good to see Cathal Mannion back in midfield. Still very exposed at the back with Mc not a FB and Shane Cooney no where near as good as Mc at CB. If his intention is to play Daithi in midfield when he returns then he better start looking at a different number 3 quickly.

Where are you taking the DB midfield thing from? Would be madness. As much as Daithis best position is prob centre back, hurling teams have been defaulting to plugging their best defender in at FB for well over 20 years. Would be madness to move someone who's more natural than most in there out. We all saw what happened before he moved inside, god help us

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭threeball

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Where are you taking the DB midfield thing from? Would be madness. As much as Daithis best position is prob centre back, hurling teams have been defaulting to plugging their best defender in at FB for well over 20 years. Would be madness to move someone who's more natural than most in there out. We all saw what happened before he moved inside, god help us

I've heard it raised by a couple of commentators plus I don't see the point in playing your CB out of position only to switch him when your FB returns. The common sense approach is to fill the vacant position with a temporary alternative with a view to having them as a replacement in the case of injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Match off in Mohill. Won't say too much but it's a joke calling things off this late in the day. I'm here since one and the place was waterlogged then but they had to wait for the ref to arrive to make the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

threeball wrote: »
    I've heard it raised by a couple of commentators plus I don't see the point in playing your CB out of position only to switch him when your FB returns. The common sense approach is to fill the vacant position with a temporary alternative with a view to having them as a replacement in the case of injury.

Gmac might be the back up with someone else filling at 6 for him. I'm sure he just wanted to see how it would go, I don't think he's being that bad there tbh, its just Daithi is so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I'm a little confused by some of the numbers in yesterday's Independent article about county finances. It says Galways gross debt is €3.1million. I thought the debt had been reduced to €2.5million based on the reporting of the accounts two months ago.

• Advertisement

grbear wrote: »
    I'm a little confused by some of the numbers in yesterday's Independent article about county finances. It says Galways gross debt is €3.1million. I thought the debt had been reduced to €2.5million based on the reporting of the accounts two months ago.

They had a 6 or 700k shortfall in donations/fundraising last year due to people not giving money to events etc because of the issues around finance. Perhaps they had banked on getting the same as the previous year but with all the scandals the shortfall is now showing up on the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

C'mon PJ, where's the team for Sunday v Tyrone? It's usually available before the Tuam Herald. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway team v Tyrone

Conor Gleeson (Dunmore MacHales)
    Sean Kelly (Moycullen)
    Sean Ó Maolchiaráin (Oileain Arann)
    Johnny Heaney (Killanin)
    Gary O’Donnell (Tuam Stars)
    Liam Silke (Corofin)
    Cillian McDaid (Monivea Abbey)
    Ronan Steede (Corofin)
    Cein D’Arcy (Caherlistrane)
    Eamonn Brannigan (St Michael's)
    Damien Comer (Annaghdown)
    Michael Daly (Mountbellew-Moylough)
    Robert Finnerty (Salthill Knocknacarra)
    Shane Walsh (Kilkerrin-Clonberne)
    Adrian Varley (Cortoon Shamrocks)

Looks like John Daly hasn't recovered from his knock in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Delighted to see Varley start. He's got a lot of critics but I genuinely believe if we're up to anything this championship he needs to be creating space central to open up lads like Heaney and Walsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Stewball

What's happened to Sean Andy, injured? dropped?

Stewball wrote: »
    What's happened to Sean Andy, injured? dropped?

He's still on the panel. Just hasn't got a game yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

He's still on the panel. Just hasn't got a game yet.

No harm, needed a kick up the hole. The lad needs to shed the excess bulk and get back to playing ball.

Galway Senior Football Championship

Group 1

Salthill-Knocknacarra, Oughterard, St Michaels Monivea Abbey, Annaghdown, Moycullen.

Group 2

Tuam Stars, Milltown, Caherlistrane, Mícheál Breathnach, An Spidéal, Mountbellew/Moylough.

Group 3

Corofin, Killannin, Claregalway, Barna, An Cheathrú Rua, St James.

Galway Intermediate Football Championship

Group 1

Naomh Anna Leitir Móir, Glenamaddy, Kilconly, Oranmore-Maree.

Group 2

Killererin, Kilkerrin-Clonberne, Williamstown, St Gabriels.

Group 3

Cortoon Shamrocks, Headford, Carna-Caiseal, Caltra.

Group 4

Dunmore MacHales, Corofin [2], Oileann Arainn, Menlough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Any Galway posters can clarify whether the Galway v Clare minor hurling challenge match at Kinvara got the go ahead today? Any info on this will most appreciated by this Clare poster!!

Strange first half. Letrim with the breeze just sat back made very little attempt to play out. Galway making hard work breaking them down.

Bradshaw and Darragh Silke on the bench the two "surprising ones"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Off the post for galway great move

Great first half. Our counter attack is second to none, although given we're playing with effectively 12 well known scorers on the pitch is not a surprise.
    Walsh is the best in the country on this form. Steede has be excellent in midfield. A bit loose at the back. Given the effectiveness of our counter I think we can afford to lean a bit more balance back towards our defence.

A great 4 months work under the new management. Back to being the best team in the country to watch. If we never won an all Ireland I'd rather we played like this than what we had to endure the last few years. You can see the players are loving it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Penalty.goaaaaaaal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Has to be it 2-18.....0-11 now tyrone down to 13 men

That's a great confidence booster for a team on the rise. As good as they are now, today will bring them on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Great win for the footballers. It's some change from this time 12 months ago wrt the style of play and the amount of scores. I know Tyrone were (eventually) down to 13 men, which would have skewed the scoreline somewhat, but that was some performance by Galway.

Pity the hurlers couldn't level it below in Waterford, but wrt the hurlers imo, finding and trialing players should be their objective for this league. If they win a few matches, All well and good. If they don't, at least the likes of fintan Burke and a few others will have been road tested before the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Huge congrats to joycey and the lads.well done and long may it continue.ga ga ga Galway are back lads.
    Ye May dust off the straw hats for days ahead please god

Plenty to like. Plenty still to work on. Defending and kickouts I thought today was our poorest in four games. Gleeson couldn't find the runners who I thought made plenty of runs for him.

Sean Kelly. Two games one man marking Michael Murphy and today on Mcshane. Excellent on two of the best in the country. Looks like he'll be our go to man marker going forward. Hopefully whatever happened to Mcshane is not as bad as it looks and he has a speedy recovery.

Defenders did fine going forward. Bit lazy tracking the runners going the other way and coughed up too many goal chances especially in the first half with the game in the melting pot.

Steede took his scores well. Got into nice pockets and linked well. Best game to date. D'Arcy was struggling a bit and nice to see PJ bite the bullet early. Flynn was excellent when he came on and caught the first kickout after only a few seconds on the pitch to put down his marker.

Damo, Varley, Brannigan were excellent. Damo brings a huge physical presence to the centre forward position. Finnerty didn't get on the ball enough and Mike Daly mixed the good with the bad.

Shane Walsh is untouchable at the moment. Not just his scoring but his creativity as well.

Meath is a big test. Galway have always struggled in Navan and it will be the first game we go in as hot favourites. PJ will need to keep their feet on the ground and show the same focus up to now. A win and we can realistically start aiming for a league final.

All to play for.

Plenty to like. Plenty still to work on. Defending and kickouts I thought today was our poorest in four games. Gleeson couldn't find the runners who I thought made plenty of runs for him.

Sean Kelly. Two games one man marking Michael Murphy and today on Mcshane. Excellent on two of the best in the country. Looks like he'll be our go to man marker going forward. Hopefully whatever happened to Mcshane is not as bad as it looks and he has a speedy recovery.

Defenders did fine going forward. Bit lazy tracking the runners going the other way and coughed up too many goal chances especially in the first half with the game in the melting pot.

Steede took his scores well. Got into nice pockets and linked well. Best game to date. D'Arcy was struggling a bit and nice to see PJ bite the bullet early. Flynn was excellent when he came on and caught the first kickout after only a few seconds on the pitch to put down his marker.

Damo, Varley, Brannigan were excellent. Damo brings a huge physical presence to the centre forward position. Finnerty didn't get on the ball enough and Mike Daly mixed the good with the bad.

Shane Walsh is untouchable at the moment. Not just his scoring but his creativity as well.

Meath is a big test. Galway have always struggled in Navan and it will be the first game we go in as hot favourites. PJ will need to keep their feet on the ground and show the same focus up to now. A win and we can realistically start aiming for a league final.

All to play for.

Agree on Sean Kelly, putting him corner back was a great move as was Johnny Heaney. Real competition in defence now with Silke looking to get his place with Daly looking to get back in.
    Finnerty the only one who really looks out of place, I think he needs another year to develop. I'd like to see Farragher take his position in the next few games. The type of ball Galway are delivering now would see him scoring heavily I think.

Butchered a few goal chances yet again. If we can tidy that up it will be hard to live with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Tyrone weren't able to stop galway's fast attacking without fouling that's why they finished with 13 players on the pitch and conceded a penalty.
    I enjoyed watching that fast direct kick passing game it's all we know and all that has ever got us medals.
    Meath are waiting to spoil our party now and hopefully the lads are prepared dig out a win any style will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

It's been like moving from the Dark Ages to the Renaissance. Imagine how much KW has been holding these players back. Not saying we're going to win Sam or anything, but at least there's a gusto among fans following the team again.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Robert2014

The question I have is how sustainable is it to play like this? Most teams have some sort of defensive strategy in place for a reason. We tried to play like this up until a few years ago and we weren't very successful then either. I hope that this is not a false dawn and come the summer time we are looking back and saying we should be putting a defensive plan in place all along.

I'm not saying we should go back to the plan Talty had, I'm sure there is a happy medium that we could find to be more defensively sound but allow us to attack as we are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Robert2014 wrote: »
    The question I have is how sustainable is it to play like this? Most teams have some sort of defensive strategy in place for a reason. We tried to play like this up until a few years ago and we weren't very successful then either. I hope that this is not a false dawn and come the summer time we are looking back and saying we should be putting a defensive plan in place all along.

I'm not saying we should go back to the plan Talty had, I'm sure there is a happy medium that we could find to be more defensively sound but allow us to attack as we are doing.

Would be worried about the same thing although we did have men behind the ball at times, not quite as extreme as b4 so hopefully its part of the plan. As you say, there has to be a happy medium, the great thing is the pace we are breaking with.

Advertisement