Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It depends on a good few factors,
    1). Cost - Most important
    2). Whether the connection times are sufficient, especially in an airport expanding at the rates Dublin is
    3). Time - How much time do you actually save? Considering you've to be at the airport for an hour and a half before the flight in Cork, plus the flying time, really takes out any time savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It depends on a good few factors,
    1). Cost - Most important
    2). Whether the connection times are sufficient, especially in an airport expanding at the rates Dublin is
    3). Time - How much time do you actually save? Considering you've to be at the airport for an hour and a half before the flight in Cork, plus the flying time, really takes out any time savings.

for internal flights here, dont they let you use fasttrack for free? , so 45 minutes early, if you dont need to check in baggage? also cant they operate the same system as in dublin, that you can leave your baggage off, the night before?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,019 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Okay thanks for the statement we'll take it you know better than the bean counters in EI.

:rolleyes:

Just my opinion, obviously - like everyone else posting here. There are no 'verified representatives' of EI or IAG on Boards.

So far the 'bean counters' in EI haven't regarded it as viable to bring back, and imho they are unlikely to in future. In the past with shorter checkin times, less security hassles and no motorway it was different.

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 irishkopite93

ATR 42 is the largest frame I'd imagine being used and efficient on the route.
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    I flew back from Aus recently into dublin, the woman beside me, had to get the bus back down to cork, that would be unberable to me. the new aircraft available now, I am talking airbus , boeing, would use a lot less fuel than older ones, when the route was operating right? could an a220 be a good fit for dublin to cork?

the populations of cork and dublin are growing quickly. also dublin is now a proper hub, it wasnt years ago... If they launch this, we have our answer, I would absolutely expect it to be sustainable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I would agree with you timings would need to be specific. There's so much Atlantics now it makes the service much more viable coupled with a lot more commuting to/from Dublin there is sufficent demand for the route. Aircoach and GoBe prove this, EI have mooted offering connecting Cork-European services via Dublin too that would not be sustainable as a direct service from Cork.

Heres how that could work;

DUB0630-0725ORK Connections from early Atlantic wave 0445-0530.
    ORK0755-0850DUB Connections available to all TA/Europeans.

DUB1230-1325ORK Connections from Late atlantics including San Francisco and early Europes.
    ORK1355-1450DUB Connections available to BOS, JFK, MCO, ORD, MIA and late Europes.

DUB1850-1945ORK Connections from Mid Europes and LAX.
    ORK2015-2110DUB Late flight option.

Also with those rough timings Business travellers are offered a full business day when travelling from Cork to Dublin.

At that rate so all Cork would need is 1 service and that could be a flight to Dublin.
    No need for flights elsewhere as all existing Cork routes are available from Dublin and in all probability cheaper as well.
    Perhaps EI could operate 2 x A320's all day long up and down to Dublin.
    I can just imagine the savings that the DAA could make at Cork, quite a lot of unnecessary staff there then with a single domestic service.

It is a none runner, with the motorway now, anyone from Cork who needs a flight ex Dublin would be most of the way there when the check in time and journey time to Cork airport are calculated.

This was purely lip service to keep a group of local business people in Cork happy.

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    At that rate so all Cork would need is 1 service and that could be a flight to Dublin.
    No need for flights elsewhere as all existing Cork routes are available from Dublin and in all probability cheaper as well.
    I can just imagine the savings that the DAA could make at Cork, quite a lot of unnecessary staff there then with a single domestic service.

It is a none runner, with the motorway now, anyone from Cork who needs a flight ex Dublin would be most of the way there when the check in time and journey time to Cork airport are calculated.

This was purely lip service to keep a group of local business people in Cork happy.

They have to check in anyway, whether in cork or Dublin. What about if they are coming from west cork etc. saying “ the motorway “ a three hour drive in no traffic , before you get to the airport and even start the airport bit ? That’s a nope from me. The aer Lingus guy said many stay In nearby hotels the evening before flight, which is what I do , and I’m near Citywest !!! It’s so much easier getting rid of bags and security in a tiny airport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

If only you could do a quick flight from Weston to Cork on something like a Jetstream 31

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Idbatterim wrote: »
    They have to check in anyway, whether in cork or Dublin. What about if they are coming from west cork etc. saying “ the motorway “ a three hour drive in no traffic , before you get to the airport and even start the airport bit ? That’s a nope from me. The aer Lingus guy said many stay In nearby hotels the evening before flight, which is what I do , and I’m near Citywest !!! It’s so much easier getting rid of bags and security in a tiny airport

What percentage of people would be coming up from West and South of the airport compared to those in the City, suburbs, East and North Cork?

What percentage of people would be coming up from West and South of the airport compared to those in the City, suburbs, East and North Cork?

I’ve no idea. But if I were in cork and could fly from there to Dublin and do all the airport related stuff in a far smaller airport, that’s what I’d be doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

EI feed from ORK onto hubs like LHR and AMS. There is no reason why they shouldn't be feeding their own hub.

The KL agreement looks to be finishing soon, I can see the rationale in wanting to transfer pax onto their own services.

• Advertisement

EI feed from ORK onto hubs like LHR and AMS. There is no reason why they shouldn't be feeding their own hub.

The KL agreement looks to be finishing soon, I can see the rationale in wanting to transfer pax onto their own services.

thats what I figured, we should be promoting dublin as a hub, not flying them further to london or wherever, particularly if heading westbound!!!

I flew back from Aus recently into dublin, the woman beside me, had to get the bus back down to cork, that would be unberable to me

But that problem was easily solved by her if she had simply selected a routing that took her to Cork rather than simply selecting a flight back to Dublin. I’m going to guess she came back with one of the ME3. Was the 3 hour bus journey plus whatever else she needed to do at the other Cork end to get home worth the cost saving of the flight to Dublin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Clon63

I see that Aer Lingus have a newcearly morning departure from EdInbugh at 6.25am. The aircraft returns to Edinburgh and then does returns to Cork and then SHannon.

Is this the first time in a while that a short haul aircraft is overnighting in a while? Apart from Heathrow obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Clon63 wrote: »
    I see that Aer Lingus have a newcearly morning departure from EdInbugh at 6.25am. The aircraft returns to Edinburgh and then does returns to Cork and then SHannon.

Is this the first time in a while that a short haul aircraft is overnighting in a while? Apart from Heathrow obviously

Well it's Stobart actually - Aer Lingus Regional, as opposed to Aer Lingus per se, who seem to be basing one aircraft in Edinburgh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Aviation2K16

Does anyone know when EDS will be rolled out of the paint shop in SNN?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Well it's Stobart actually - Aer Lingus Regional, as opposed to Aer Lingus per se, who seem to be basing one aircraft in Edinburgh.

Yeh it’s a Cork based aircraft and crew that will overnight in EDI

Locker10a wrote: »
    Yeh it’s a Cork based aircraft and crew that will overnight in EDI

Makes sense.

Also explains the very early finish to its day so the crew can have the mandatory rest period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

The next A330 for Aer Lingus, EI-EIN has just completed another test flight. It now totals three test flights covering 5h 18 mins in duration. By comparison EI-EIM had two flights lasting 6h 7min in total. Pretty sure that should be it for EI-EIN and delivery will follow shortly.

No sign of EI-EIM leaving BRU yet or EI-LRD (A321LR) having its first flight.

In livery news, EI-EDS is back from Shannon in its new colours and was replaced by EI-DEC which positioned last night.

Are there anymore LR’s on the production list?

EI-LRD’s first flight should be imminent. The schedules show SNN & DUB will each have 2 based A321 LR in 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

The remaining four A321LR due this year have yet to appear in the production list. The current batch first appeared in the list some time in early Spring last year, I think it was March so lets hope they appear soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Is that ex Qatar A330 still going to EI in April?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Is that ex Qatar A330 still going to EI in April?

Already on the IAA register apparently. EI-EIK, will replace EI-EWR, which is returning to lessor.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

HTCOne wrote: »
    Already on the IAA register apparently. EI-EIK, will replace EI-EWR, which is returning to lessor.

No info on airframes.org.
    Not that this means it isnt on the IAA register.

What is its current QR reg?

EDIT: just looked it up elsewhere.
    A7-AEH is still showing as a QR bird on airframes.org.
    Again, this doesnt mean that it isnt coming to EI or someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Tenger wrote: »

A7-AEH

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Tenger wrote: »

EDIT: just looked it up elsewhere.
    A7-AEH is still showing as a QR bird on airframes.org.
    Again, this doesnt mean that it isnt coming to EI or someone else.

I should probably say, I read the EI-EIK thing on an online forum (not sure if it waa in here or one of the others) so it could be hogwash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

FWIW A7-AEH last flew on 10 February and appears still to be at Doha.

EI-FNH A333 currently inbound to Dublin from Bordeaux as EIN2505.

EchoIndia wrote: »
    FWIW A7-AEH last flew on 10 February and appears still to be at Doha.

EI-FNH A333 currently inbound to Dublin from Bordeaux as EIN2505.

It is swapping with A333 EI-DUZ which positioned to Bordeaux for maintenance earlier today as EI2504.

Final A321neo EI-LRD positions from XFW to DUB, Thurs 27/02 (subject to change).

EIN2395 XFW1130-1240DUB 32Q EI-LRD

A330 update;

EI-EIM positions BRU-DUB, Mon 24/02.

EIN2641 BRU1600-1650DUB 333 EI-EIM

EI-EIN positions TLS-BRU, Thurs 27/02.

EIN2533 TLS1315-1500BRU 333 EI-EIN.

Again all subject to change.

A320 update;

EI-DEC expected to position from repainting in SNN back to DUB next Wednesday morning.

• Advertisement

Final A321neo EI-LRD positions from XFW to DUB, Thurs 27/02 (subject to change).

EIN2395 XFW1130-1240DUB 32Q EI-LRD

Good to see LRD will arrive next week. Will it go into service immediately or will it stay in DUB?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement