Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Election Posters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Not necessarily from election posters. How about circuses, meetings, church collections, pantomimes, gaa matches etc. Those posters tend to be much lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭howiya

Some amount of posters below the 2.3m height requirement in my area. If a politician or their staff can't handle such a simple job as putting up a poster at the correct height how can they be trusted with the tougher decisions they'll face in office

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

howiya wrote: »
    Some amount of posters below the 2.3m height requirement in my area. If a politician or their staff can't handle such a simple job as putting up a poster at the correct height how can they be trusted with the tougher decisions they'll face in office

Report them on www.fixmystreet.ie A litter fine is cheaper than an insurance claim

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

I was driving to work early this morning there was the one candidate on every single lamp post both sides of the road. They must have started at 12.01. Very irritating im not voting for her says I. By the evening she had many friends also tied to said posts. Now i can't even remember which one the irritating one was! They've all merged into one photoshopped mess. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Remind me wrote: »
    Face on a pole leads to a bit of research
    If posters on poles were the only way a candidate can get people to look at their manifesto then you might have a point. However there are numerous ways, less intrusive ways, less polluting ways, less contentious ways for them to do so.

A poll has been cited by various politicians and groups, the 2018 Claire Byrne Live/Amárach Research poll. Over 70% of respondents have said they want rid of posters. More and more councillors and politicians are realising that the public are overwhelmingly not in favour of posters.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/fine-gael-election-candidate-calls-for-poster-ban-ahead-of-poll-894540.html

Meanwhile other councillors and politician flout the guidelines in what can only been seen as unfair and self serving gestures.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/dublin-city-council-investigating-early-election-posters-1.3870438

The Journal has run it's own poll (undoubtedly taking it's cue from Boards again :) ) The poll currently stands at 88% or respondents in favour of banning the posters. Even when taken with a pinch of salt that is a huge percentage.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

There should be a place in each village where they are erected. If there are 10 candidates then there should only be 10 posters. Find a nice wall in a high traffic area and screw a few timbers to it and mount the posters to that.
    No need for all those posters. Complete waste and serve very little purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

OldGoat wrote: »
    If posters on poles were the only way a candidate can get people to look at their manifesto then you might have a point. However there are numerous ways, less intrusive ways, less polluting ways, less contentious ways for them to do so.

A poll has been cited by various politicians and groups, the 2018 Claire Byrne Live/Amárach Research poll. Over 70% of respondents have said they want rid of posters. More and more councillors and politicians are realising that the public are overwhelmingly not in favour of posters.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/fine-gael-election-candidate-calls-for-poster-ban-ahead-of-poll-894540.html

Meanwhile other councillors and politician flout the guidelines in what can only been seen as unfair and self serving gestures.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/dublin-city-council-investigating-early-election-posters-1.3870438

The Journal has run it's own poll (undoubtedly taking it's cue from Boards again :) ) The poll currently stands at 88% or respondents in favour of banning the posters. Even when taken with a pinch of salt that is a huge percentage.

Guarantee that poll saying 70% are people who know the election is on.

People with little interest would not have a clue without the posters or possibly bumping into a candidate at the shops.

People interested in politics will look up other methods such as social media.

Candidates looking to get elected don’t care if it is a person that doesn’t have a clue about them but sees their mug on a poster and gives them number 1.

I would be in favour of banning the posters, especially because the lamppost outside my house has 3 on it already!! But I have an interest in politics so will look up and do my research but the majority won’t.

There should be a place in each village where they are erected. If there are 10 candidates then there should only be 10 posters. Find a nice wall in a high traffic area and screw a few timbers to it and mount the posters to that.
    No need for all those posters. Complete waste and serve very little purpose

This I agree with, similar to what someone said earlier about the Netherlands

Guarantee that poll saying 70% are people who know the election is on.

People with little interest would not have a clue without the posters or possibly bumping into a candidate at the shops.
    I think your polling cards arriving in the post would be clue enough that there is an election on the way.

I think your polling cards arriving in the post would be clue enough that there is an election on the way.

The polling cards that could arrive days before?

I didn’t receive a polling card for the presidential election but I am on the register and have been since I was 18. Many friends in their early 30’s renting and their polling cards go to their home address.

Most people. Including me don’t want the posters but they are known to work so until banned will be used.

• Advertisement

The polling cards that could arrive days before?

I didn’t receive a polling card for the presidential election but I am on the register and have been since I was 18. Many friends in their early 30’s renting and their polling cards go to their home address.

Most people. Including me don’t want the posters but they are known to work so until banned will be used.
    Yet the vast majority of people do get their cards just fine and have time enough to do a bit of research if they wish to.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Most people couldn't tell you where their polling cards are or they may arrive late are so no they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

TallGlass wrote: »
    there are countless environmentally friendly ways to contact me and tell me what you've done, rather than post your mug up everywhere with your name.

Not trying to be smart because I hate posters, but...like what? I don't want to be doorstepped, I think leaflets are worse than posters and they're not allowed phone or email me without consent. What else is left?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It was said earlier that Germany doesn't have election posters on lamp-posts/poles.
    It might be so in certain regions, but this article has a streetscape of Berlin that looks very like Dublin.

https://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2017/09/23/552583400/in-german-election-campaign-posters-are-more-important-than-tv-ads?t=1556182158286

is_that_so wrote: »
    Most people couldn't tell you where their polling cards are or they may arrive late are so no they are not.
    If people lost their cards is of no consequence to the point at hand, that point being that they know of an election.
    As for cards arriving late I'd be interested in seeing the numbers on that. Is there any evidence of systematic failures in delivering polling cards to the registered addresses in a timely fashion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Remind me wrote:

Actually I don't think they do, considering the environmental implications and the assumed waste of money I think they annoy people more. One candidate I know of has refused to put up posters but engages on the doorstop is getting good traction online and will get a vote from me based on his stance and local policies.

Yet the vast majority of people do get their cards just fine and have time enough to do a bit of research if they wish to.

Don't disagree but a candidate will look for any means possible to get elected and posters, currently, are part of that.

There was a massive reduction in number of posters used during the Presidential election on the back of Gallagher not using them in 2011 a few followed suit but there is a much smaller pool of candidates for a Presidential election and a much bigger platform to be seen.

Don't disagree but a candidate will look for any means possible to get elected and posters, currently, are part of that.
    Herein lies the problem. The only ones who can stop the posters being used are the elected but the elected want the posters despite the wishes of the majority* of the populace. :)

* I know, I've only mentioned two vox pop polls showing this but they are the only polls that I can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

can anyone find this video on facebook? Dublin Councillor apologises following 3am incident that 'frightened the life' out of 84-year-old woman https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-councillor-apologises-following-3am-16173869

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Pembroke electoral area is plastered with unlawfully hung posters, mostly Fine Gael with FF in second place. I guess Fine Gael (esp for James Geoghegan and Paddy McCartan) and Fianna Fáil were later at putting up posters. Some are on traffic barriers and trainings obscuring traffic signs, a road traffic offence not just a littering one. The rest are well below 2.3m with a significant number either at the bottom of the pole or within 1m of the ground.

This is disgraceful. Passing over Milltown Brudge it’s amazing how few posters are up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

This I agree with, similar to what someone said earlier about the Netherlands
    The same in France, and when there's a national election each candidate gets a "5 minutes to convince" slot on TV and radio.

Maybe an electoral commission could organise something like this on placards and online. You could type your Eircode into a central website and be presented with a portfolio of the people running in each poll. Then you could contact the candidates and watch/read as much or as little about them as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Herein lies the problem. The only ones who can stop the posters being used are the elected but the elected want the posters despite the wishes of the majority* of the populace. :)
    Not being smart, but the 'wishes of the majority' in opinion polls means SFA. Most people haven't given the matter any thought or any discussion. They haven't read through the pros and cons. The opinions expressed in the polls are knee jerk reactions, which are not a sound basis for public policy.

One candidate I know of has refused to put up posters but engages on the doorstop is getting good traction online and will get a vote from me based on his stance and local policies.
    Existing Councillor or new candidate?

Here's a broader perspective on the issue: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/election-historian-unapologetic-in-his-defence-of-posters-1.3871686

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Existing Councillor or new candidate?

The son of an existing councillor, so I suppose he has name recognition to a degree. I'm well into my 40's and despise these posters and regularly report any below the minimum height or on ESB poles. I don't vote based on the face I see littering the environment. I actually refuse to vote for them. Funnily enough the same ones who litter the poles are rarely willing to engage on the doorstep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Out walking tonight, about 5KM, 5/6 posters on the ground, some in front gardens. Noticed one blocking a road sign, wasn't the wind, literally put over the road sign (Wouldn't be surprised if it was done intentionally by another party).

One or two clearly breaking the height rule consistently/intentionally, mind you nothing dangerous to me, might poke someone in the eye/face if you where not paying attention or blind. Zero attention paid to the ESB asking people not to post these things on the same poles as ESB lines.

I'd say people wouldn't be half bothered if these people putting them up followed the rules.

Funny how some posters here are reminding us that they are to signal an election is taking place, yet by the same token, there is zero posters about the referendum that is also taking place (not that I am complaining about it either).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The son of an existing councillor, so I suppose he has name recognition to a degree..
    Post back after the election and let us know how he got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

is_that_so wrote: »
    How would you know there was an election and who's running?

are you taking the piss?! loads of alternatives, they can advertise like any other entity/company can -some do using bus stop adverts or on those solar power bins.

if there was no tradition of election posters, here or anywhere, and some politician asked permission for them to go up, even supplying an honest photoshoped impression of what it will look like as.

0_CC-POSTER90185458.jpg
    Note the ones deliberately designed to mimic statutory road signs.

image.jpg

image.jpg

oh a roudabout, perfect place to distract drivers.
    election%20posters%20kerry%203.jpg

D5Fk8krUwAEw1Bt.jpg:large
    They would be fcuking torn apart, ridiculed, probably even calls for resignation for such an utterly idiotic and highly dangerous idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

rubadub wrote: »
    are you taking the piss?! loads of alternatives, they can advertise like any other entity/company can -some do using bus stop adverts or on those solar power bins.

Some candidates cannot afford to advertise alternatively on bus shelters etc. For instance, and this isn't in Dublin City but Fingal so I'm not sure if there's a huge difference elsewhere.

The local FG candidate has a poster on literally every lamp post around here, on both sides of the road. Whereas the 'smaller' party candidates such as Solidarity, Soc Dems, the Inds have very few. So you can imagine what it would be like if it was bus shelters only etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

LorelaiG wrote: »
    . So you can imagine what it would be like if it was bus shelters only etc.
    Yeah, it would be great, no schoolchildren put at risk by been masked by posters at traffic lights which are obscured to cars by posters. No leftover cable ties jutting out into cycletracks at eye height waiting to hit somebody on a bike. None in the rivers, blowing onto windscreens etc.

They should just have a single booklet organized by the government giving all equal space, this would be posted out to all households which have somebody registered to vote.

If you want to make it fair then ban any other advertising, no pamphlets in doors or advertising on bus stops. But I think that is too far. As I said before if there was no tradition of posters and it was suggested today, with honest predictions of what will happen, there is no way in hell it would be approved. It is pure madness what is being tolerated -simply because people have grown accustomed to it. They have proven time after time that they cannot behave responsibly, disobeying ESB warnings, creating electrical & fire hazards, pure scumbags.

Not being smart, but the 'wishes of the majority' in opinion polls means SFA. Most people haven't given the matter any thought or any discussion. They haven't read through the pros and cons. The opinions expressed in the polls are knee jerk reactions, which are not a sound basis for public policy.]
    As I said in my post there are only two available vox pop polls and both of them show a vast majority in favour of banning the posters. If you can find me any better polls then I'll happily take a look at them.

It also seems a bit misconstrued to dismiss the polls as 'kneejerk' when the article you point too is basically saying that people only vote in a kneejerk reaction to seeing the face on the poles.

"Posters work, you can show people what you look like and who you’re standing for." - No policy, no manifesto, just a face and a party name.

“Face recognition is important, especially for new candidates." Why? Do voters only judge people by their appearance? If this is the case then perhaps having a faceless leaflet with just policy would produce produce more informed voting choice.

There seems to be two big reasons for perpetuating in this redundant form of politicking, new candidates get a chance and it informs people that a vote is about to occur. On the first point I say that removing all the posters levels the playing field even more such that some candidates having more funding clout then others do not get an unfair advantage. Policy debate would be a better way of removing an incumbent or defend a seat.
    The second point of informing voters that a vote is on the way is already covered with the arrival of polling cards to registered voters, for those who profess to having no other source of local news.

I understand that Mr. Kinsella is a bit upset that people are trying to get posters banned. It has after-all been his hobby of 40 years to collect them. I too would defend my hobby if people tried to dismiss it as bunkum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

rubadub wrote: »
    Yeah, it would be great, no schoolchildren put at risk by been masked by posters at traffic lights which are obscured to cars by posters. No leftover cable ties jutting out into cycletracks at eye height waiting to hit somebody on a bike. None in the rivers, blowing onto windscreens etc.

They should just have a single booklet organized by the government giving all equal space, this would be posted out to all households which have somebody registered to vote.

If you want to make it fair then ban any other advertising, no pamphlets in doors or advertising on bus stops. But I think that is too far. As I said before if there was no tradition of posters and it was suggested today, with honest predictions of what will happen, there is no way in hell it would be approved. It is pure madness what is being tolerated -simply because people have grown accustomed to it. They have proven time after time that they cannot behave responsibly, disobeying ESB warnings, creating electrical & fire hazards, pure scumbags.

I get the hazards of posters from a safety point of view. I get it but my point is, the bigger candidates have better means to advertise so I think it needs to be an outright ban of any pole/shelter etc advertising and possibly do as you say. Although it's funny because the ref com books never seem to make it to my house yet my neighbour always gets one, and yes I am registered to vote.

Advertisement