Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Posters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Same here. New candidate knocked on my door last week. He'll most likely get my number 1 vote.

There are lots of countries that don't use posters at all. A German girl told me a number of years ago that they have nothing like this in Germany. She was amazed at the amount of posters, sometimes several af of same poster on the same lamp post
    They have advertising boards, as a lot of other countries do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,303 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Same here. New candidate knocked on my door last week. He'll most likely get my number 1 vote.

There are lots of countries that don't use posters at all. A German girl told me a number of years ago that they have nothing like this in Germany. She was amazed at the amount of posters, sometimes several af of same poster on the same lamp post

Don't they have a party list system for most elections rather than voting for individuals?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's what knocking on doors does? Didn't see one poster this morning for one of the guys I'll be voting for. However he knocked on the door over the weekend, had a chat about a couple of local issues and followed up with me with a letter in the door (probably I know waste, but only an A4 page). That's how to get votes...

Not everyone answers the door. No candidate has the time to repeat visit the entire ward to try get everyone - remember that its a part-time job paid as such even for those who are elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Don't they have a party list system for most elections rather than voting for individuals?

I'd be lying if I pretended to know what system they have. I just know that they don't have the poster mess we have in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

The excuse is used that it would give an advantage to the incumbent which i do understand however there are ways around it.

E.g. In every constituency produce a booklet in which every candidate gets one page that gets delivered to every house similar to referendum commission leaflet.
    They can put what they want on that page and they make a contribution to cover the expense of it.
    Have designated billboards on which each candidate can put up a single poster

That way everyone gets equal publicity without the need for such wasteful eyesores.

• Advertisement

They do both and you get two votes: one for a person and one for a party. Person vote is FPTP and for a party proportional.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    The excuse is used that it would give an advantage to the incumbent which i do understand however there are ways around it.

E.g. In every constituency produce a booklet in which every candidate gets one page that gets delivered to every house similar to referendum commission leaflet.
    They can put what they want on that page and they make a contribution to cover the expense of it.
    Have designated billboards on which each candidate can put up a single poster

That way everyone gets equal publicity without the need for such wasteful eyesores.

There's that (growing?) junk mail issue for candidates. People will see posters but may ignore election bumph.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

is_that_so wrote: »
    How would you know there was an election and who's running?

How do you know when anything is on that's not an election?

How do you know when anything is on that's not an election?
    People are not switched on to elections. Last two weeks is where they even notice and I doubt if many know who half the candidates are.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,386 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

greasepalm wrote: »
    Dalkey tidy towns are removing them all,HaHa.

I live in Clare and the town I live in has a by-law that bans election and referendum posters.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I live in Clare and the town I live in has a by-law that bans election posters.

Is that legal? The law seems to allow them, with some restrictions.

Is that legal? The law seems to allow them, with some restrictions.

Not sure, but it’s great!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not sure, but it’s great!

It seems to be based around this initiative and voluntary by the looks of it.

https://greennews.ie/over-100-towns-move-to-ban-election-posters/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

vicwatson wrote: »
    In the Netherlands they put up boards that candidates can stick their waffle on, much neater and less waste

These are way better for the environment, as the posters stuck to them are thin paper, rather than the thick plastic posters that need to stand out when attached to a lamppost with cable ties or whatever.

(cable ties - another lovely post-election nuisance...)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

So far the only clear reason to having posters on poles is to benefit the candidates running for election and of those candidates only the eventually winners will see any real advantage or gain.
    There exists somewhere in the annals of DCC a rule that bans posters from both O'Connell St. and Grafton St.. I want to know how these two roads are exempt and how can I have that ruling applied to my street.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

It seems to be based around this initiative and voluntary by the looks of it.

https://greennews.ie/over-100-towns-move-to-ban-election-posters/

Apologies, I thought there was a by-law enacted and didn’t realise there were so many places doing the same thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I find them very useful. Handy for under my bike when doing a bit of work on it. Saves the ground getting any dirt or oil on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

I hate these things with a passion.

it's not just the fact that look awful, it's what they leave behind when they take them down, the plastic ties wraps.
    Lamposts where I live still have them on from the last round of elections, and it looks awful.

They should be colour coded. Every party/ candidate should be allocated a colour, and when they are taken down, if there are any left, they should be fined for each one that is left.
    Don't particularly care how much it would cost them to do this, but it's better than leaving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,449 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Dub Ste wrote: »

it's not just the fact that look awful, it's what they leave behind when they take them down, the plastic ties wraps.
    Lamposts where I live still have them on from the last round of elections, and it looks awful.

They should be colour coded. Every party/ candidate should be allocated a colour, and when they are taken down, if there are any left, they should be fined for each one that is left.
    Don't particularly care how much it would cost them to do this, but it's better than leaving them.

Colour coded ties would mean having blue or red strips running across the candidate's eyes, mouth, neck etc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Colour coded ties would mean having blue or red strips running across the candidate's eyes, mouth, neck etc

An improvement for many candidates so :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Out of curiosity, I counted the number of posters that I passed or could see on a 6km walk into town from Killester this morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭De Bhál

i hate the sight of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Walking down James's Street from Thomas Street this morning, on my way to the Luas. I pass a lot of lamp-posts. Every.Single.One as far as my eye could see had these posters up. Same candidates (none of whom I can picture or name now), same positions, on each pole.

My heart sank when I saw them this morning.

They're a f*cking eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

TallGlass wrote: »

Where can I get a definitive list of candidates in my area not doing this? They'll get my vote, don't care who they are, they'll get it.

That's why they put them up - If they don't, people with little interest wouldn't even know an election was happening, because they are up there is a greater chance of them voting.

Dub Ste wrote: »

I was thinking of taking photos of the poles near me when the posters are up, then again after they've been removed when just the ties are still there, and emailing all the candidates whose face are in the first photo, asking them to ensure their ties had been removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I was thinking of taking photos of the poles near me when the posters are up, then again after they've been removed when just the ties are still there, and emailing all the candidates whose face are in the first photo, asking them to ensure their ties had been removed.

It's actually next to impossible to remove a poster without taking down the cable tie, unless the poster is very thin and of poor quality. What drives me crazy is a pool of cut cable ties at the bottom of the pole where they're just left behind.

Caranica wrote: »
    It's actually next to impossible to remove a poster without taking down the cable tie, unless the poster is very thin and of poor quality. What drives me crazy is a pool of cut cable ties at the bottom of the pole where they're just left behind.
    I respectfully disagree. Here's one lamppost in Killester/Donnycarney, photo taken June of last year with a number of ties still on it:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3754567,-6.2190399,3a,50y,263.24h,110.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxq_qTapLDU7azNj8a9DI-g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

And again, just up the road:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3758213,-6.2181625,3a,32.9y,163.54h,98.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgXtFOm1hMX3fv-EXeCOLRQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Remind me wrote: »
    That's why they put them up - If they don't, people with little interest wouldn't even know an election was happening, because they are up there is a greater chance of them voting.
    If those who are not interested in voting just turn up because of a face on a pole then perhaps we would be better off if the only people who voted are those actually interested in the outcome irrespective of faces.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    If those who are not interested in voting just turn up because of a face on a pole then perhaps we would be better off if the only people who voted are those actually interested in the outcome irrespective of faces.
    That would probably leave a turnout of well under 40%. Most people really don't care about politics but some will do their civic duty anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

OldGoat wrote: »

Face on a pole leads to a bit of research

Advertisement