Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Posters

Options
  • 23-04-2019 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

Why on earth (literally) is this practice not banned?

How can we be expected to take our politicians serious on climate change, when they literally print off this rubbish, post it up everywhere and create a load of rubbish in the process.

We are living in modern times, there are countless environmentally friendly ways to contact me and tell me what you've done, rather than post your mug up everywhere with your name. It's creating a **** load of rubbish, and amongst other things, it's ****ing eyesore.

Where can I get a definitive list of candidates in my area not doing this? They'll get my vote, don't care who they are, they'll get it.

I held my nerve earlier walking the dog, while a group of people related to one of the candidates went about littering the place and plastered there face everywhere, in the hope for some reason that would make me give them my vote :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Posters work, especially for new candidates. There's much research to prove this.

They can be reused/up cycled and usually are, they're too expensive to just discard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I automatically dismiss any election candidate that litters the place with posters .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

In local elections if you don't put posters up, you basically don't get any votes. If you're a new candidate nobody knows who you are.

You are basically voting for the equivalent of the Monster Raving Loonies (or worse - the few who should probably be sectioned) if you exclude all candidates with posters. Which at least explains how they get any votes at all, really.

The Presidential Election gives the few candidates hours and hours of TV/radio coverage and thousands of pages of print coverage which no local candidate can get so that example does not work.

Some of the Tidy Towns that are getting very beligerant about posters do not seem to realise they're basically helping the long established Councillors with name recognition by doing so. I haven't seen any blatant cases of where said Councillors are involved in the tidy towns being dug up however; but nothing would surprise me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I automatically dismiss any election candidate that litters the place with posters .

you weren't going to vote for them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Dalkey tidy towns are removing them all,HaHa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

greasepalm wrote: »

No they're not. Turns out that mightn't be lawful.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Nope, they’ve backed down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

I'm not really put out by them. Mostly they get used more than once and compared to what we do every day of the week they're hardly a massive environmental issue.

The only issue I have with them is the leaving cable ties stuck to lampposts and putting them into ESB line carrying posts, which is quite dangerous.

As long as they're put up within reason, they're not a big deal.

I'd rather see posters flying up than the whole thing going online and ending up being subject to bubbles and manipulation.

Politics needs to be somewhat physically visible.

In the Netherlands they put up boards that candidates can stick their waffle on, much neater and less waste

Anteayer wrote: »

Politics needs to be somewhat physically visible.

We have Rte for that - day in day out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Whats rte as no one looks at that,pity i thought the cause of removing posters might grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Ban posters they are a disgrace on many fronts. Allow some designated area they can put up literature such as outside a town hall. I will make a point of it to any callers and will NEVER vote for candidates putting up posters advertising local meetings...very cynical and manipulative, not the sort of representative I want.

Whats rte as no one looks at that,pity i thought the cause of removing posters might grow.

That would be theft, the posters are personal property.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Caranica wrote: »
    That would be theft, the posters are personal property.

They are also really expensive. A million years ago, well, more than twenty, when i was involved in that sort of thing, they were about 3.50 each for a full colour one.

spurious wrote: »
    They are also really expensive. A million years ago, well, more than twenty, when i was involved in that sort of thing, they were about 3.50 each for a full colour one.

Minimum €5 now

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

I'd like to see the loophole that allows for the "public meeting" posters to be closed.

If there was some sort of fund to pay for the complete removal of the cable ties.

Wishful thinking, I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

vicwatson wrote: »
    In the Netherlands they put up boards that candidates can stick their waffle on, much neater and less waste

That's a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

L1011 wrote: »
    In local elections if you don't put posters up, you basically don't get any votes. If you're a new candidate nobody knows who you are.
    If the posters are banned for everyone then there is no advantage to be had. Makes it a bit more fair for those who might not have party funding behind them.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭wally79

OldGoat wrote: »
    If the posters are banned for everyone then there is no advantage to be had. Makes if a bit more fair for those who might not have party funding behind them.

There’s an advantage to the incumbent

Would be tougher for a new candidate to get their name out there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

If the posters are banned for everyone then there is no advantage to be had. Makes if a bit more fair for those who might not have party funding behind them.
    gives advantage to those who can buy billboards/bus ads etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

work wrote: »
    Ban posters they are a disgrace on many fronts. Allow some designated area they can put up literature such as outside a town hall. I will make a point of it to any callers and will NEVER vote for candidates putting up posters advertising local meetings...very cynical and manipulative, not the sort of representative I want.
    Doesn't leave you anyone to vote for, save the ones who would love to but can't afford them.
    On topic don't mind them so much in a campaign except when they're all fighting to get them on the same pole. They alert people to an election and give people some idea who's in it. After is a different story and I'd like to see them gone in 48 hours, not seven days or more.

How would you know there was an election and who's running?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Except for those who are already elected and hence known. Which was my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

wally79 wrote: »
    There’s an advantage to the incumbent

Would be tougher for a new candidate to get their name out there
    Just having a face on a pole is not a good enough reason to vote out an incumbent or to vote in a new player. A photograph on a pole does not get your manifesto before the voters.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

L1011 wrote: »

That's what knocking on doors does? Didn't see one poster this morning for one of the guys I'll be voting for. However he knocked on the door over the weekend, had a chat about a couple of local issues and followed up with me with a letter in the door (probably I know waste, but only an A4 page). That's how to get votes...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

is_that_so wrote: »
    How would you know there was an election and who's running?

Internet
    Radio
    Television
    Leaflets
    Newspapers
    Knocking on doors

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There was an agreement not to put posters up in Raheny village as the tidy towns judging starts during the election campaign. Posters were up in the village 6 hours before the midnight start time and I see a video of Terence Flanagan team (FG) putting up posters at 3am and waking up residents in the process.

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Internet
    Radio
    Television
    Leaflets
    Newspapers
    Knocking on doors

All of those may not apply to a lot of people and assumes that they access any of them. The majority of voters start to pay attention in last two weeks.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    There was an agreement not to put posters up in Raheny village as the tidy towns judging starts during the election campaign. Posters were up in the village 6 hours before the midnight start time and I see a video of Terence Flanagan team (FG) putting up posters at 3am and waking up residents in the process.
    That's all a tad NIMBY. Any village anywhere in the country will be in the same boat and I'd imagine that will be taken into account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

That's what knocking on doors does? Didn't see one poster this morning for one of the guys I'll be voting for. However he knocked on the door over the weekend, had a chat about a couple of local issues and followed up with me with a letter in the door (probably I know waste, but only an A4 page). That's how to get votes...

Same here. New candidate knocked on my door last week. He'll most likely get my number 1 vote.

There are lots of countries that don't use posters at all. A German girl told me a number of years ago that they have nothing like this in Germany. She was amazed at the amount of posters, sometimes several af of same poster on the same lamp post

Advertisement