Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

jr86 wrote: »
    Will there be any more? There's 35 on the panel acc to the Connaught Telegraph, given there'll be injuries at different stages I'd have thought he'll stick with around that number overall

I think 5 more? Could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Whats the story with Diskin? Is he still on the panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Whats the story with Diskin? Is he still on the panel?

I presume so. He was on the bench for the league final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,340 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Do we know if there's a similar style development panel under Horan?

Also, it didn't get mentioned here afaik but very interesting interview from Keegan during the week. Basically said there's no drink ban under Horan because he expects them to behave like adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

PARlance wrote: »
    Do we know if there's a similar style development panel under Horan?

Also, it didn't get mentioned here afaik but very interesting interview from Keegan during the week. Basically said there's no drink ban under Horan because he expects them to behave like adults.

Was a great piece, Keegan is a very interesting character, am already looking forward to his autobiography when he retires :D

It's a subject which has gained lots of publicity in recent years. Funnily enough I actually know more cases of player-driven bans (and self-imposed ones in individual cases) than manager ones (at club level anyway).

I personally don't agree with blanket drink bans on a generic level, but I can see why they may be implemented at times, rightly or wrongly. Teams will look for anything to generate an edge nowadays at the top level. Its one less thing a manager can be blamed for after a loss

I find though that many managers in my experience give it the big un about not implementing drink bans and so on, and while they may not explicitly do so, they do conveniently schedule training sessions friday nights and first thing Sunday morning :pac:

Its amazing how times change though. I played a club county minor football 15 years ago, and a few of us had a great session the Thursday night for freshers week (saw plenty of opposition players out too!) and the match was the saturday!

I've even played plenty of championship matches in my late teens after going for a few the night before. The best ever was an under 21 game I think it was, and it was 2 days after Oxegen one year, I think the whole team was there and absolutely still dying :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

On the drink thing, while drink bans are not explicitly stated, I think a lot of panels probably have implicit rules on drinking. The manager isn't going to tell you outright that you can't go to the pub, but you're probably not gonna be picked either if you're fond of the drink. Obviously, this is big match celebrations aside.

jr86 wrote: »
    Was a great piece, Keegan is a very interesting character, am already looking forward to his autobiography when he retires :D

It's a subject which has gained lots of publicity in recent years. Funnily enough I actually know more cases of player-driven bans (and self-imposed ones in individual cases) than manager ones (at club level anyway).

I'd say there's a good chance there's a manager orchestrating those player-driven ones... quick word in a few senior players ears.

Thought the timing was funny from Keegan. He has probably just lost the winter-arse and can comment now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

PARlance wrote: »
    I'd say there's a good chance there's a manager orchestrating those player-driven ones... quick word in a few senior players ears.

Thought the timing was funny from Keegan. He has probably just lost the winter-arse and can comment now :)

I thought he looked a bit stocky at the roscommon game alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Any one no what happen here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Pat Lambert,Brian Reape and Shairoze Akram have received scholarships from DCU GAA.

Indications here that Tom Parsons might make an appearance depending on how far we get in the championship this year. Sounds like he's making a pretty remarkable recovery.
    https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/we-have-to-see-how-our-journey-will-go-tom-parsons-in-line-to-make-mayo-return-during-2019-championship-38042929.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

If only to dream . Mayo winning the Sam McGuire 2019 and Tom Parsons makes his return in the dying minutes . I think I’d die happy with that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭BandMember

I doubt that we'll see him getting any game time this year to be honest (I really hope that I'm wrong though!!), but just the fact that he's made it back this far is incredible and great for him personally. No matter what your county allegiance, you couldn't help but wish a guy like that well.

Interesting that Horan is still saying that they're looking at bringing in a few more new faces and letting some more guys go - you can't but wonder why they weren't there already (barring injury, of course).

With probably around a week or so to go before they fly out to NY, the make up of the Championship panel will start to become a lot clearer. I don't see the likes of Cillian, Seamie or any of the casualty list playing in this one, but hopefully we will have a full panel ready for the next game.

BandMember wrote: »
    I doubt that we'll see him getting any game time this year to be honest (I really hope that I'm wrong though!!), but just the fact that he's made it back this far is incredible and great for him personally. No matter what your county allegiance, you couldn't help but wish a guy like that well.

Interesting that Horan is still saying that they're looking at bringing in a few more new faces and letting some more guys go - you can't but wonder why they weren't there already (barring injury, of course).

With probably around a week or so to go before they fly out to NY, the make up of the Championship panel will start to become a lot clearer. I don't see the likes of Cillian, Seamie or any of the casualty list playing in this one, but hopefully we will have a full panel ready for the next game.

Cillian will definitely be playing in New York. He's back fit now but is badly lacking match practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

I don’t see Seamie playing full stop there’s no way he’s pushing ruan out of that team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭BandMember

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Cillian will definitely be playing in New York. He's back fit now but is badly lacking match practice.
    naughto wrote: »
    I don’t see Seamie playing full stop there’s no way he’s pushing ruan out of that team

My thinking would be that Horan won't be risking any player he doesn't need to (especially the ones coming back from injury) on what is a rock hard surface - high/hard impact like that is the last thing those lads need.

Agree that Ruane is nailed on to start, but, it's (hopefully!!) going to be a long summer and anything can happen - as we've seen before. We need everyone fit and ready, they will all be needed at some point.

naughto wrote: »

Not a chance but Seamie's a great man to have in reserve.

My thinking would be that Horan won't be risking any player he doesn't need to (especially the ones coming back from injury) on what is a rock hard surface - high/hard impact like that is the last thing those lads need.

Agree that Ruane is nailed on to start, but, it's (hopefully!!) going to be a long summer and anything can happen - as we've seen before. We need everyone fit and ready, they will all be needed at some point.

Horan will be naming the strongest possible team. Get the job done early and then sub players off.

Even if he's not 100% yet I'd start Cillian to play him into form. If he doesn't start this game he can hardly play against Roscommon/Galway later in the championship.

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Horan will be naming the strongest possible team. Get the job done early and then sub players off.

Even if he's not 100% yet I'd start Cillian to play him into form. If he doesn't start this game he can hardly play against Roscommon/Galway later in the championship.

According to James Horan the lads may not travel as they continue their recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I'd be surprised to see COC feature against New York

That said he's such an important player that he could well be parachuted straight in against Roscommon. For frees alone he'll be vital

• Advertisement

I don't think we'll see Cillian in NY tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

PressRun wrote: »
    I don't think we'll see Cillian in NY tbh.

Surely the whole squad will travel though? Are they not meant to be going on a training camp for the week afterwards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

glack wrote:
    Surely the whole squad will travel though? Are they not meant to be going on a training camp for the week afterwards?

Some not travelling till Monday I hear. Or before that at their own expense

ProudDUB wrote: »
    And not a single, solitary gag about Mayo being full of so much hot air, it was the only choice?

Very, very disappointed.

Did the quip "We’re building a dome here and we’re using all the hot air that comes out of our Connacht Council meetings!" not sufficiently sate your appetite?:)

Winners of the Mayo New York are out again on Saturday 25th Mayo 2019.

The game will be on Sky.

glack wrote: »

I mean, he might be there as part of the squad, but I don't think he'll play on the day, is what I meant to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Surely no player going, even if not togging out has to pay their own way?

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Surely no player going, even if not togging out has to pay their own way?

I don't think that was suggested. If they were going to go over in advance of Monday (i.e not travel with the rest of the squad) it was suggested that it would be at their own expense.

I may be jumping to conclusions but that might be the county board saying if you're going over for the weekend before to be involved in fundraisers/appearance fees, then it'll be at your own cost.

PARlance wrote:
    I don't think that was suggested. If they were going to go over in advance of Monday (i.e not travel with the rest of the squad) it was suggested that it would be at their own expense.

PARlance wrote:
    I may be jumping to conclusions but that might be the county board saying if you're going over for the weekend before to be involved in fundraisers/appearance fees, then it'll be at your own cost.

Yep. That's pretty much what I have heard.

Great news: the big game is expected to be televised by TG4 next Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

seligehgit wrote:
    What time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

seligehgit wrote: »

Need to find an Irish bar close to the pitch to watch it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,343 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

What time?

7.15pm throw in Irish time.

What time?

Throw in is at 14.15 East Coast time which is 5 hours behind GMT so presumably 19.15 Irish time.

https://twitter.com/hoganstandgaa/status/1122592459093995521?s=19

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

Throw in is at 14.15 East Coast time which is 5 hours behind GMT so presumably 19.15 Irish time.

Great news :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

That story has been deleted off the hogan stand website. I don’t believe this is going ahead as thought, from what I’ve read they will have highlights on the Monday and are doing a brief episode on the game and a bit on NY GAA, but I’m pretty sure there is no live broadcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Blackjack wrote: »
    That story has been deleted off the hogan stand website. I don’t believe this is going ahead as thought, from what I’ve read they will have highlights on the Monday and are doing a brief episode on the game and a bit on NY GAA, but I’m pretty sure there is no live broadcast.

it's not included on the TG4 Sunday listings on my Sky Q. Although if it was a late change to the schedule those listings might not have been altered yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Sure TG4 have no rights to live provincial or AI series games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

Is man that is not long in ireland allowed to support a team like Mayo even if they live in different part of country. I like the Mayo players skill.

Is man that is not long in ireland allowed to support a team like Mayo even if they live in different part of country. I like the Mayo players skill.

All welcome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Blackjack wrote: »
    All that has ever been shown of the NY game has been a highlights show on the Monday

So I'd be surprised if it was any different this year.

• Advertisement

Championship Squad

The Mayo championship panel is as follows:

Goalkeepers (two): David Clarke (Ballina) and Robert Hennelly (Breaffy);

Defenders (14): James McCormack (Claremorris), Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis), Colm Boyle (Davitts), Caolan Crowe (Garrymore), Lee Keegan (Westport), Donal Vaughan (Castlebar), Patrick Durcan (Castlebar), Ger Cafferkey (Ballina), Chris Barrett (Belmullet), Eoin O'Donoghue (Belmullet), Brendan Harrison (Aghamore), Stephen Coen (Hollymount), Michael Plunkett (Ballintubber) and David Drake (Ballaghaderreen).

Midfielders (three): Aidan O'Shea (Breaffy), Matthew Ruane (Breaffy) and Seamus O'Shea (Breaffy);

Forwards (16): Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber), Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen), Jason Doherty (Burrishoole), Cillian O'Connor (Ballintubber), Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore), Conor Loftus (Crossmolina), Evan Regan (Ballina), Brian Reape (Moy Davitts), Conor Diskin (Claremorris), James Carr (Ardagh), James Durcan (Castlebar), Fergal Boland (Aghamore), Darren Coen (Hollymount), Ciaran Treacy (Ballina), Fionn McDonagh (Westport) and Cian Hanley (Ballaghaderreen).

Parsons is also training with them and more than likely Murray from Ballina will be added after the NY game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Championship Squad

The Mayo championship panel is as follows:

Goalkeepers (two): David Clarke (Ballina) and Robert Hennelly (Breaffy);

Defenders (14): James McCormack (Claremorris), Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis), Colm Boyle (Davitts), Caolan Crowe (Garrymore), Lee Keegan (Westport), Donal Vaughan (Castlebar), Patrick Durcan (Castlebar), Ger Cafferkey (Ballina), Chris Barrett (Belmullet), Eoin O'Donoghue (Belmullet), Brendan Harrison (Aghamore), Stephen Coen (Hollymount), Michael Plunkett (Ballintubber) and David Drake (Ballaghaderreen).

Midfielders (three): Aidan O'Shea (Breaffy), Matthew Ruane (Breaffy) and Seamus O'Shea (Breaffy);

Forwards (16): Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber), Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen), Jason Doherty (Burrishoole), Cillian O'Connor (Ballintubber), Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore), Conor Loftus (Crossmolina), Evan Regan (Ballina), Brian Reape (Moy Davitts), Conor Diskin (Claremorris), James Carr (Ardagh), James Durcan (Castlebar), Fergal Boland (Aghamore), Darren Coen (Hollymount), Ciaran Treacy (Ballina), Fionn McDonagh (Westport) and Cian Hanley (Ballaghaderreen).

Parsons is also training with them and more than likely Murray from Ballina will be added after the NY game.

Is that off the Telegraph? I saw it on twitter last night.
    One problem I'd have with it, is just two keepers. I'd imagine there'd be 3. If either were injured in the run-in to a game, you'll need the 3rd keeper to step in to the subs bench. Also, according to Horan himself on the latest Mayo News podcast, Murray has been brought in already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Is that off the Telegraph? I saw it on twitter last night.
    One problem I'd have with it, is just two keepers. I'd imagine there'd be 3. If either were injured in the run-in to a game, you'll need the 3rd keeper to step in to the subs bench. Also, according to Horan himself on the latest Mayo News podcast, Murray has been brought in already.

Schlingerman is being kept in the development squad as far as I gather. So is Akram and a few others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Seems very short around midfield.

irishgeo wrote:
    Seems very short around midfield.

Hence why Murray is coming in full-time after the NY game. Donnie and Diarmuid can also play there as well. Indeed Diarmuid was a savage U21 midfielder.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement