Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaiety Cinema

Options
  • 16-05-2015 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭

I heard today that the Gaiety has been taken over by a large cinema chain.
    I really hope so as anything will be an improvement on the dump that it currently is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Clear out the deadwood staff employ staff with better attitudes and clean the place up.what are there are bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

The whole place needs a makeover. I don't know whether it's down to staff or equipment but I've had a few too many instances of sound/screen problems the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,791 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The interior needs a serious makeover!

Was in Century Cinemas in Letterkenny - comfortable leather seats that slightly recline and not a broken one in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

It's a kip.
    As for the staff......
    They need to throw the whole lot in the skip, staff and all and start again. As above poster says the amount of times I've unfortunately given it one more chance only for the screen or sound to be shyte or dealt with by a "couldn't care less" staff member. I'm sure people who frequent the place would take the same two people out of a line up as the ones I'm on about. It's been left behind. It belongs in 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

I would agree to an extent about the state of the building, but I think as someone who on a regular basis attends this cinema, and obviously have dealt with various members of staff, I would have to disagree profoundly about the staff.
    I can only assume due to the nasty and untrue venom spewed at the staff that its from people who were barred from this cinema for bad bahaviour. If the language uses is anything to go by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 annmaire88

think thats a bit harsh callin staff scum, iv never had trouble when i go in with the staff,some of the staff are their a long time and are actually quite friendlytheir only doin their jobs at the end of the day! hopefully these new owners can work with the staff to make the cinema better as its one of the only soutces of enertainment in the town thats now a pub or club!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭johnire

Well said....couldn't have summed it up better myself!
    It's a kip.
    As for the staff......
    They need to throw the whole lot in the skip, staff and all and start again. As above poster says the amount of times I've unfortunately given it one more chance only for the screen or sound to be shyte or dealt with by a scum staff member. I'm sure people who frequent the place would take the same two people out of a line up as the ones I'm on about. It's been left behind. It belongs in 1995.

Well, at least we know two alleged possible people with a personal grudge against innocent staff members,
    And judging by the tiny amount of complaints, obviously the majority disagree with the opinion of the complainers.

annmaire88 wrote: »
    think thats a bit harsh callin staff scum, iv never had trouble when i go in with the staff,some of the staff are their a long time and are actually quite friendlytheir only doin their jobs at the end of the day! hopefully these new owners can work with the staff to make the cinema better as its one of the only soutces of enertainment in the town thats now a pub or club!

Some of the staff are grand, but (in my opinion, naturally) some of the staff are the reason the cinema is the way it is.

apophis wrote: »
    Well, at least we know two alleged possible people with a personal grudge against innocent staff members,
    And judging by the tiny amount of complaints, obviously the majority disagree with the opinion of the complainers.

Hahaha I'm a bit old for personal grudges and getting barred from a cinema but hey, that's your opinion, and you know mine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Thank god this place is being taken over. Hopefully they tidy it up and give it a makeover. I really have to say its a disgrace of place. Disgustingly dirty. Every time I've ever gone to sit down the seat has been broken or full of gum. Just a horrid disgusting place. My husband is an avid cinema goer and its one of the few things we can do together having 2 very young children (usually only get a babysitter till 11pm)... And I have recently started refusing to go here anymore. Rotten place altogether!

Could not disagree more on the staff issue, but as I said from the tiny amount of misleading complaints here in this thread, I think they are personal rather than objective.
    As I said earlier I am a regular cinema user and have no complaints at all. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Dirty, tired looking, unwelcoming. Hopefully this will bring a positive change to the place, and maybe increase staff morale which has been lacking in recent years, as people above have pointed out.

Nail on the head fillefatale.
    The whole place and people in it just need a jizzy up!

If the story is true it could be exactly what's needed.
    The cinema ain't a cheap day out anymore especially when you've a few with you. Bundoran is better value, nice staff, cleaner, but then the times and movie selections sometimes leave you wondering what the hell.

A lack of investment by the past owners should not reflect on the staff, you complainers only visit the place and then away home ye go, but the staff have to endure the conditions daily, and I would say on a lousy wage to boot, leave the staff out of it and hope the new owners will care enough to provide better working conditions.

Nail on the head fillefatale.
    The whole place and people in it just need a jizzy up!

If the story is true it could be exactly what's needed.
    The cinema ain't a cheap day out anymore especially when you've a few with you. Bundoran is better value, nice staff, cleaner, but then the times and movie selections sometimes leave you wondering what the hell.

I obviously prefer local business over corporate chains, but this place hasn't made any positive changes to keep up with a changing market in many years.

I know what you mean. Went to the cinema in London at the weekend with a friend, 2 tickets, 2 glasses of wine and a bag of nuts came to £37!!!

Wow!
    Over €50 is probably pushing it, no matter the surroundings! Jesus, add in popcorn and the kids and I'd have my mortgage payment!

Case in point - the list of films currently showing doesn't even work - http://www.gaietysligo.com/films-out-now/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

^ They're using gaietysligo.ie rather than .com now, new site but took me a good while to realise that!

Other case in point if you get the RIGHT app and use it, it is a very comprehensive and informative app.

Gaiety cinema group on the android play store in my case, don't just rely on one potential source of info, my god, use your brains.

• Advertisement

This is so true. I stopped going there and now travel to Carrick. The cinema there is gorgeous as are the staff. The whole place has an air of professionalism that Sligo lacks.
    The last time I was there I recognised 8 people I know from Sligo and I actually heard one of them say to his partner that he'd never set foot in Sligo cinema again unless it was cleaned up and staff replaced.

Dirty, tired looking, unwelcoming. Hopefully this will bring a positive change to the place, and maybe increase staff morale which has been lacking in recent years, as people above have pointed out.

How convient, on your last visit you saw eight people you know and listened in one one conversation that just happens to suit your argument, haha.

Thats funny you know though, last time I went to gaiety sligo I saw about 25 people I knew, and the majority said they would be back again, its odd how different people experience gaiety sligo. is it not. :cool:

It's a valid argument.
    Why are people like myself willing to travel from Sligo to Carrick to use a facility that's already on our doorstep?
    There had to be a reason and from the various posts here it's obvious there are very good and reasonable reasons.
    Nobody could seriously say that the cinema in Sligo is anyway comparable to for instance the one in Carrick??

How convient, on your last visit you saw eight people you know and listened in one one conversation that just happens to suit your argument, haha.

Thats funny you know though, last time I went to gaiety sligo I saw about 25 people I knew, and the majority said they would be back again, its odd how different people experience gaiety sligo. is it not. :cool:

Ya I know, jeez after all you 'overheard' two people saying that, :rolleyes:

And by the way 'various posts' from only four people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cyah

i heard its sold, but as for comments about the staff i think its unfair, my wife and i have been going for years and they were always polite and helpful most of the complaints i read here is from people who just dont like sligo in general you are the same names that complain about every single thing in sligo from the hospital to the pubs you dont like....**** off and get a life you pissed off people...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cyah

johnire wrote: »
    It's a valid argument.
    Why are people like myself willing to travel from Sligo to Carrick to use a facility that's already on our doorstep?
    There had to be a reason and from the various posts here it's obvious there are very good and reasonable reasons.
    Nobody could seriously say that the cinema in Sligo is anyway comparable to for instance the one in Carrick??

i was in carrick cinema it is nice but very small.....

We're talking about the Gaiety in a forum, so obviously we will refer to the feedback of other posters unlike these "25 people" you "know" whose opinion we've not been made privy to.
    cyah wrote: »
    i heard its sold, but as for comments about the staff i think its unfair, my wife and i have been going for years and they were always polite and helpful most of the complaints i read here is from people who just dont like sligo in general you are the same names that complain about every single thing in sligo from the hospital to the pubs you dont like....**** off and get a life you pissed off people...

Registered this month and only 2 posts defending the Gaiety, hmmmm :rolleyes: I have issued you with a warning for being uncivil. Read the forum rules.

Wow, a moderator getting an itchy trigger finger towards positive posters about the gaiety cinema, I think that says it all.

Seems we people who are happy with the gaiety and have a right to express that view, have fallen in to a negative only allowed comment thread.

Wow, a moderator getting an itchy trigger finger towards positive posters about the gaiety cinema, I think that says it all.

Seems we people who are happy with the gaiety and have a right to express that view, have fallen in to a negative only allowed comment thread.

Everyone is entitled to their view, you however, were criticising other posters and calling their opinion false as if your opinion is the only valid one. Seems you are in the minority here...

• Advertisement

Below is a section taken from your forum rules, pay particular attention to the part about naming and shaming businesses, now go and warn the negative posters if indeed you are an impartial mod, as you should be.
    But alas one of your earlier posts would suggest impartiality is not your first priority as a moderator.

Libel/Defamation:

Do not post anything that can be considered as being libellous. This includes naming and shaming businesses, or any attacks on persons in the community or public eye. All such comments could lead to court proceedings against boards.ie and thus will not be tolerated.

Advertisement