Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaiety Cinema

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I never really had a problem with the Gailty my self, yeah its a bit old and dated compared to newer cinemas, but surely you would expect that from an older facility. Personally have never had a problem with the staff either.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi mint sauce, I agree, and i posted earlier the same point myself, building could and probably will be renovated under the new management, but the staff can only work with what they have, and for earlier posters to call them scum and not get warned by a moderator in accordance with 'forum rules', tends to point to an agenda on the negative side against the staff and the business itself.

apophis wrote: »
    Hi mint sauce, I agree, and i posted earlier the same point myself, building could and probably will be renovated under the new management, but the staff can only work with what they have, and for earlier posters to call them scum and not get warned by a moderator in accordance with 'forum rules', tends to point to an agenda on the negative side against the staff and the business itself.

Well in defence of the Mods, if someone did not report the post, he or she may not have seen it.

Agreed mint sauce, but when one of the contributers to the thread is a mod, he or she should be doing their job, which is enforcing forum policy across the board.
    Sadly that did not take place here, at least not on an impartial footing.

Last side comments before I get done for backseat nodding, but this really is a conversation for the feedback forum or between yourself and the mod. However, a mod should be allowed to contribute to a thread as long as its within forum guidelines, without being expected to review the rest of the thread first, they are end if the day, unpaid forum members keeping the place tidy, and that comes from a former mod.

Getting back to the Gialty, it just needs a good tidy up, and refurbishment. The main foyer and corridors look fine to me for a building its age, but agreed with some of the other posts, the auditoriums do need some work, considering the cost to view a movie, along with refreshments, it's quite costly considering decor and comfort level of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

In fairness, Carrick cinema was completely redone about three or four years ago after it was destroyed by the Shannon.

I think whoever buys it will soon realise it will be a worthwhile investment as long as they do just that. Invest in the technology foremost, the fittings and the staff and it will do a bomb.

** Also edited my first post on this thread there, not my intention to cause offence. The word I originally used to describe a couple of the staff members may be perceived a bit harsh when I don't go on to give an explanation why. Sorry. I'm not going give full reviews of my numerous experiences with the place though. Will PM anyone who wants the details!
    I don't think I've ever complained about any other Sligo premises :( not since 19th May anyway :D

Ya I think it will be a goldmine when refurbished, then the existing staff who are friendly and accomadating will have better working conditions, and everyone wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

In the interest of balance there's one young guy in there that's an absolute gent. Credit where credits due

Agree, also from my own experience with any of the staff, any reasonable request is dealt with promptly and professionally. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

In the interest of balance there's one young guy in there that's an absolute gent. Credit where credits due

If we're thinking of the same guy (new enough - in the past year or two I think) he's absolutely lovely. Always says to enjoy the film, very friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I've never had a problem with the staff tbh. The place itself is still the kip of all kips tho...

Same here, no problem with the staff but the cinema is filthy. Pity as it was built brand new back in 1998 do you would think it would be fairly modern!

It's not that bad for an 17 to 18 year old cinema that multible thousands of people have used, including kids birthday party's catered for, just needs a make over, definatly not a kip considering its age and customer numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭overshoot

A kip is a kip, regardless of age. Bundoran is a newer cinema and has upgraded screens and seats since it opened.
    They didn't put money into maintenance, simple! Its a basic of owning a building never mind a business!

From my experiences, never had an issue with staff tho as others have said.

It's not that bad for an 17 to 18 year old cinema that multible thousands of people have used, including kids birthday party's catered for, just needs a make over, definatly not a kip considering its age and customer numbers.

Imo it most definitely is a kip. You pay full whack to go and view a movie then have trouble finding a seat that isn't filthy or broken. Floor always sticky... Need I go on... These are all things that could be fixed easily if the owners could be bothered to do the odd but of maintenance. These are also long standing problems. I wouldn't come complaining here if it was just a once or twice off...

Also to note, I'm a fairly laid back person... No grand notions or anything like that... But it is a kip.. General concensus here seems to agree with this...

Sorry, can't agree overshoot, the age and usage of a public facility has to be factored in somewhere, like I posted earlier new management may and hopefully will refurbish, time will tell.

Sorry, can't agree overshoot, the age and usage of a public facility has to be factored in somewhere, like I posted earlier new management may and hopefully will refurbish, time will tell.

So how come a smaller cinema in a smaller town is in better shape technology and comfort wise than when it opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭north_star_33

NEVER had in issue with staff ...im going to watch a movie ..not engage in chat.

i go quite a fair bit and i do agree with the cleaning comments ..it does need a good scrub and a lick of paint...

my.main gripe is that its very expensive if your buying food

@ overshoot, simple really, smaller cinema less customers, bigger multiscreen cinema way, way more customers hense more usage, basic logic really.

@ overshoot, simple really, smaller cinema less customers, bigger multiscreen cinema way, way more customers hense more usage, basic logic really.

That's contradictory surely? a smaller cinema was able to upgrade their screens and seats more frequently than a bigger one, I'm talking years, not frequency of use. Surely with more customers and therefore more financial clout the gaiety would be better placed and have a bigger requirement to upgrade? Basic logic no?

• Advertisement

Smaller cinema can refurbish quicker and more often if needed because its SMALL. Much larger cinema will not have that luxury as they are busier with many, many more customers to cater for.
    Its basic logic really.

Smaller cinema can refurbish quicker and more often if needed because its SMALL. Much larger cinema will not have that luxury as they are busier with many, many more customers to cater for.
    Its basic logic really.

I wouldve thought 17 years would be ample time. Also with many many more customers as you say they should then also have the finds to do same...

Agree somewhat you might be surprised, but that's only if the existing owners are willing to spend, hopefully the new owners will refurbish and more importantly maintain the cinema.
    I have stated this throughout this thread.
    Its basic logic really.

P.S, I think you meant 'funds' to do same...

Yes funds... Obvious typo

Its basic logic really.

But we are talking basic stuff like seats! You dont have to shut the entire cinema, do it theatre by theatre. There is little difference in the size of them. The customers in Sligo are spread over 12 not 6 so tbh I think ur SMALL point is irrelevant. Its similiar numbers per screen.

And tbh I played up on bundoran being small because it suited my argument, Sligo may have double the screens but I remember counting 32 seats (including the broken ones) in one screen! Smallest iv ever seen!

You may well turn out to be right, but as I said earlier only if investment is forthcoming will this cinema improve, so no point is irrelevant, maybe not even your's,
    And another person used a point to suit their argument in this thread, well!! I am shocked.

Its basic logic really.

I have no issue with the prices in the cinema,after all the movies probably cost the cinema a lot to hire from the distributors,but the place should be fresh and clean.I sat down there once and ended up with chewing gum stuck to my clothes,why would anyone put gum on a seat or even break seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭johnire

I agree with what you're saying about the state of the place. It's filthy and rundown. The place has staff who are employed to keep it clean and presentable so they're obviously not doing their jobs. Why is it that I can go to other cinemas and they don't have the issues that Sligo does?
    As regards the staff apart from the fact that they are obviously not doing their jobs they are actually allowing the law to be broken as they allow under age kids into films they shouldn't be at. I've mentioned this to the staff on duty and the response was a shrug of the shoulders and was told to basically mind my own business.
    In the past I had to leave the film to find an usher to ask a group of teenagers to keep quiet as they were ruining it for everyone. Nothing was done.
    They are my experiences of a visit to the cinema in Sligo and that's why I've stopped going.
    I notice with interest that the defenders of the Sligo setup always gloss over the valid points people are making here.

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I have no issue with the prices in the cinema,after all the movies probably cost the cinema a lot to hire from the distributors,but the place should be fresh and clean.I sat down there once and ended up with chewing gum stuck to my clothes,why would anyone put gum on a seat or even break seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I don't go to cinema on a regular basis, this is mostly due to price and poor ethicate(?) of other attendees. Constant chatter and glare from phone screens drive me mad. I went to see a movie a couple of years ago in Sligo and the picture quality, sound and seating were horrific when compared to other cinemas.

Bundoran was better, however the film we were watching there was a fairly quiet one. Sound proofing was so bad that everyone could here all the action music coming from the theatre next door.

• Advertisement

As I said many times earlier, I also attention often, never had any trouble with other customers, NEVER had gum stuck to my clothes ( must be lucky ), and have always been well looked after by the staff.

Advertisement