Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you taking part in any LGBTQ events for pride month?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Well then stop shoving your heterosexuality in our faces. How about we ban all straight pdas and weddings.

My Personal Desk Accessory? I love the straight lines in it design so I'll never give it up!

Mind you, I went to pick it up the other day and what was sitting on it? A gay willy...

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭hcf500

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Are you for real?

Did you read the article/watch the video??

hcf500 wrote: »
    This is disgusting. Trans actress Indya Moore was attacked by a trump supporter in New York. The video below shows the assault. This is trumps America in 2019 and it will only get worse. All this happening during Pride month too!

https://www.theroot.com/pose-actress-indya-moore-attacked-by-trump-supporter-in-1835380804

I was reading that article and this line popped up in it.
    The white man went peak white man

Ffs… gave up after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yes. Both.

1 - theft (of the sign)
    2 - destruction of property (stamping on the sign)
    3 - assault (pushing)
    4 - theft (the hat)

Yet you are happily ignoring crimes 1, 2 and 4 to focus on crime 3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I was reading that article and this line popped up in it.

Ffs… gave up after that.

White male American is nothing like white male irishman. You know this.
    Dont take it personally.

Plus he didn’t go peak American white man.
    He didn’t shoot her and everyone around him.

• Advertisement

Yes. Both.

1 - theft (of the sign)
    2 - destruction of property (stamping on the sign)
    3 - assault (pushing)
    4 - theft (the hat)

Yet you are happily ignoring crimes 1, 2 and 4 to focus on crime 3.

PS that isn't excusing the assault. But both parties are guilty and the assault was a complete overreaction.

However you are outraged by a few shoves in reaction to theft, but I don't think you passed any judgement on the earlier revelation that punching someone was a justifiable response to being called a rude name.

He probably doesn't have a problem with pride as a concept but the parade is a big no no as he's mentioned about 15 times (too sexualized, or some such nonsense).

Not at all. I just said on repeated occasions that a celebration of pride in someone's sexuality is not a place I would bring my child.
    Gheys: meh Pride: good Expressions of pride: bad Parade: Hell no

Gays: meh. Pride: meh. Expressions of pride: unnecessary Parade: unnecessary
    No, he's against pride as a concept. He says nobody should be proud of who they are.

I'm against being proud of your sexuality yes. Like being proud of your skin colour. You were born that way.

hcf500 wrote:
    This is disgusting. Trans actress Indya Moore was attacked by a trump supporter in New York. The video below shows the assault. This is trumps America in 2019 and it will only get worse. All this happening during Pride month too!

I know. When Obama was in power, there was no black violence and trans people were treated with absolute respect...

Trump did all this.

PS that isn't excusing the assault. But both parties are guilty and the assault was a complete overreaction.

However you are outraged by a few shoves in reaction to theft, but I don't think you passed any judgement on the earlier revelation that punching someone was a justifiable response to being called a rude name.

I could only watch on mute in work but there's a pair of them in it as far as I can see. Does the audio offer any context?

Plus he didn’t go peak American white man. He didn’t shoot her and everyone around him.

Funny how generalising, stereotyping and insulting a group based on the actions of a few is acceptable when done by certain people.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'm against being proud of your sexuality yes. Like being proud of your skin colour. You were born that way.

In an ideal world, yes.

The original concept of pride was to counteract the deep sense of shame that a lot of people grew up with, and which originated from a hostile society.

It's great that things have changed, but this hostility still exists. Things can easily slip back.

Funny how generalising, stereotyping and insulting a group based on the actions of a few is acceptable when done by certain people.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

The point sailed over your head at a great height it seems.

You’re literally defending the guy in the article. And trump. Somehow?

I could only watch on mute in work but there's a pair of them in it as far as I can see. Does the audio offer any context?

Not really. The Trump supporter was shouting "F off" and "get off my sh*t" I think. Couldn't hear much else in the commotion.

This is the kind of nonsense reporting that gets on my nerves. And it's on both sides.

The liberal media will report the horrendous assault on an actress:
    *ignoring the theft that provoked (but didn't justify) the assault.
    *making out like it was a severe beating, rather than a shove (he did shove hard in fairness, but a shove nonetheless). No punches or kicks were thrown.

And on the flip side the right wing sites will probably announce that a trans actor assaulted an innocent man and he was forced to defend his life which was under threat!

Neither version is true. But both will attempt to twist it rather than just admitting that both parties were assholes and were out of order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

She stole his banner by force, he "attacked" her as in he tried to get it back.

But don;t let facts interfere with your victim narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

OP Not me personally, I am not into that scene.

But for those who are, and are fitness nuts they could do worse than go to the Markievicz leisure centre.
    They have all sorts of pride stuff during the month.

For example:

https://allevents.in/dublin/ride4pride/200017398682418

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

You’re literally defending the guy in the article. And trump. Somehow?

Bizarre and wholly incorrect use of the word "literally".

I didn't defend anybody.

I just pointed out that the stereotyping of a "peak white man" as a murderous gun nut is disgusting and hypocritical considering the same people would be up in arms if generalisations were levelled at any other group/ethnicity

He should have used restraint defending his property. He went too far. The force he used against a woman was not reasonable. He was fully to blame for what happened. He went out wearing a maga hat. That is just asking for trouble and that is what he wants. Those hats should be banned. They only serve to divide!

Bizarre and wholly incorrect use of the word "literally".

I didn't defend anybody.

I just pointed out that the stereotyping of a "peak white man" as a murderous gun nut is disgusting and hypocritical considering the same people would be up in arms if generalisations were levelled at any other group/ethnicity

Those poor fragile straight white males...wherever they may be..oh. They’re everywhere.

So persecuted. It has to stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

He was fully to blame for what happened. He went out wearing a maga hat. That is just asking for trouble and that is what he wants. Those hats should be banned. They only serve to divide!

Nah, thats not fair

Those poor fragile straight white males...wherever they may be..oh. They’re everywhere.

It would help your argument if you weren't so racist and sexist.

• Advertisement

He should have used restraint defending his property. He went too far. The force he used against a woman was not reasonable. He was fully to blame for what happened. He went out wearing a maga hat. That is just asking for trouble and that is what he wants. Those hats should be banned. They only serve to divide!

How was he fully to blame when he didn't start it?

You are seriously saying that free speech (the hat) should be banned?

Is the initial theft not an issue?

You didn't answer my question about punching people for rude words. Who is to blame in that scenario?

I'm still not sure if you're serious or not.

I think Trump is a twat and I'd have no time for his supporters but I can't agree with anything that you say there at all.

It would help your argument if you weren't so racist and sexist.

I have no words.
    White males aren’t a race. And If their sexuality is so easily rattled as to be upset by a remark like that?
    Try being gay and walk down the street with their boyfriends hand in theirs.

They wouldn’t last a minute by your (rather bizarre. No. Stupid) logic

hcf500 wrote:
    He was fully to blame for what happened. He went out wearing a maga hat. Those hats should be banned. They only serve to divide!

I'm assuming you are joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Yes it was. You're not the tough, hard man you think you are.

Hug it out guys.

I have no words. White males aren’t a race. And If their sexuality is so easily rattled as to be upset by a remark like that? Try being gay and walk down the street with their boyfriends hand in theirs.

White people are a race - racist
    Men are a sex - sexist

Calling every American white man a murderous gun nut is pretty crappy. I'm not offended. I just think it shows a lot about your character and doesn't help your argument.

I don't want to try being gay thanks. It's not victimhood Olympics. I'm sure you would get a gold if it was.

I just find any kind of racism or sexism to be abhorrent. Even if it is against the horrible whites. It's an ignorant way to behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

You didn't answer my question about punching people for rude words. Who is to blame in that scenario?

Trump and his supporters have taken and are trying to take away the civil rights of LGBT people. You know this and play the victim card.

The hat is not free speech, it is hate speech. I honestly believe that the name trump should be censored because of all the damage it has caused. People will die as a result of trump! He has set progression back years!

You couldn't really class that as theft! She was provoked into her actions and should not be held responsible when she is under duress from an agressive trump supporter.

I don't know what you are talking about re punching people for rude words! Could you point me to a post number?

Hmmm, I'm a straight white male... am I lumped in with everyone else here in terms of being the bad guy with fragile ego?

• Advertisement

klaaaz wrote:
    Trump and his supporters have taken and are trying to take away the civil rights of LGBT people. You know this and play the victim card.

No they haven't. And no they are not. Don't be ridiculous.
    hcf500 wrote:
    The hat is not free speech, it is hate speech. I honestly believe that the name trump should be censored because of all the damage it has caused. People will die as a result of trump! He has set progression back years!

You believe the president of the United States name should be censored? Excellent.

He has set progression back years? Also great.
    hcf500 wrote:
    You couldn't really class that as theft! She was provoked into her actions and should not be held responsible when she is under duress from an agressive trump supporter.

Don't hold anyone responsible if they hate someone else's message. Gotcha.

You sir/madam are a genius

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

when will de p join de illustrious ranks?? hmm?

No they haven't. And no they are not. Don't be ridiculous.

Yes they have, you're not really up to date since Trump came to power are you?

Rights have been taken away from LGBT people including the right to sack someone from a job for being LGBT, the right to refuse service to a person from the LGBT based on "religious conscience" and the famous military ban to name a few.
    So excuse me if a Trump supporter in that stupid hat gets offended in the scale of things, he hasn't lost any civil rights and supports the loss of civil rights to the LGBT community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

klaaaz wrote: »

How has he done that? What exactly has he done to take away the civil rights of LGBT people?

I don't know what you are talking about re punching people for rude words! Could you point me to a post number?
    if you called me a queer to my face i would punch you. so no, its not acceptable.

As for the rest of your post, it is sensationalist nonsense.

White people are a race - racist
    Men are a sex - sexist

Calling every American white man a murderous gun nut is pretty crappy. I'm not offended. I just think it shows a lot about your character and doesn't help your argument.

I don't want to try being gay thanks. It's not victimhood Olympics. I'm sure you would get a gold if it was.

I just find any kind of racism or sexism to be abhorrent. Even if it is against the horrible whites. It's an ignorant way to behave.

You don’t even have the courage to homophobic. I’d at least give you that much.
    You abhor the gays and pride and given your post history, anything outside your front door that doesn’t agree with you or your pinpoint myopic view.

I’ll ask you again. Read slowly.

If you were walking down the street with your girlfriend or boyfriend and holding hands someone shouted abuse at her/him or worse came up and hit her/him

What would you do?

Generally speaking it rarely happens to straight couples.
    If you’re gay you avoid even that small kind of contact with your other half in public so as to avoid it because it’s not just likely, it’s very probably going to happen.
    And if you asked the asshole, he’d probably echo a lot of what’s being said here
    ‘Yis got your marriage equality rights. No need to be shoving it in our faces’.

I’ve had this happen three different times.

What would you do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,527 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

How has he done that? What exactly has he done to take away the civil rights of LGBT people?

you can start here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_policy_of_Donald_Trump#LGBT_anti-discrimination_laws

it is all sourced so dont bother with the "its just a wiki page".

As for the rest of your post, it is sensationalist nonsense.

Calling me a queer is not rude, it is well beyond that. What we have seen on this is continual efforts to downplay and dismiss homophobia. I could have sworn that the first post says that there was to be no homophobia on this thread but the mods seem to have forgotten that it exists.

klaaaz wrote:
    Rights have been taken away from LGBT people including the right to sack someone from a job for being LGBT, the right to refuse service to a person from the LGBT based on "religious conscience" and the famous military ban to name a few. So excuse me if a Trump supporter in that stupid hat gets offended in the scale of things, he hasn't lost any civil rights and supports the loss of civil rights to the LGBT community.

I'm reading up about that now. I'll get back to you on that. From what I see so far, it doesn't seem so cut and dry.

As for the trump supporter, the right to wear a hat and/or to support their head of state seems to have been lost. I wouldn't trivialise that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hmmm, I'm a straight white male... am I lumped in with everyone else here in terms of being the bad guy with fragile ego?
    Yeah, potentially.

Introspection is important.

It's pretty obvious that the vast majority of the conservative right, and especially the far-right nazis, are aging straight white males and their spouses.

Relatively very few, gay, Black, Asian, young people or single women in their ranks.

That says something, that you and I as aging, straight, white, males should listen to so that we can try and help change whatever cultural defects cause it.

I wasn’t addressing you. Nor offering any critique or opinion of you or your status.

You are free to take whatever you want from my post. Or not.

• Advertisement

As for the trump supporter, the right to wear a hat and/or to support their head of state seems to have been lost. I wouldn't trivialise that.

Ah, here... what are you on about.

If you were walking down the street with your girlfriend or boyfriend and holding hands someone shouted abuse at her/him or worse came up and hit her/him

What would you do?

I would defend her.
    Generally speaking it rarely happens to straight couples. If you’re gay you avoid even that small kind of contact with your other half in public so as to avoid it because it’s not just likely, it’s very probably going to happen. And if you asked the asshole, he’d probably echo a lot of what’s being said here ‘Yis got your marriage equality rights. No need to be shoving it in our faces’.

Sorry that that happens to you.
    I’ve had this happen three different times.

That's terrible. I've been attacked lots of times too. Sometimes for the way I was dressed, sometimes because I was holding hands with a black girl and sometimes because I just looked vulnerable. It's horrible. Some people will use any excuse to attack people. Horrible people.
    What would you do?

Defend myself to the best of my ability. It's all you can do really. There will always be abusive thugs unfortunately.

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, potentially.

Introspection is important.

It's pretty obvious that the vast majority of the conservative right, and especially the far-right nazis, are aging straight white males and their spouses.

Relatively very few, gay, Black, Asian, young people or single women in their ranks.

That says something, that you and I as aging, straight, white, males should listen to so that we can try and help change whatever cultural defects cause it.

The problem is there's no distinction made based on moral, philosophical or political outlook, it's just lumping straight, white males into one group. You know... sort of like lumping any ethnic or gender group and assigning the worst qualities to them. You get where I'm coming from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

klaaaz wrote: »
    You got all that backwards, there is no discrimination against straight people in Pride. Straight people have participated in Pride since it started years ago!

What article about Trans?

I was paraphrasing something someone else early on in the thread said about it being good for straight people being a minority at a major parade in Ireland and how they could take the back seat for the day.

The trans article was in one of the 8th threads.

You don’t even have the courage to homophobic. I’d at least give you that much. You abhor the gays and pride and given your post history, anything outside your front door that doesn’t agree with you or your pinpoint myopic view.

Absolute horse manure.

I abhor identity politics. I don't have a myopic view. I just don't agree with so called liberals that certain sexualities or certain races should be celebrated. Do what you want guys. I'll treat you the same as I treat anyone else. No special exceptions because of any mistreatment in the past that I was no part of.

The courage to be homophobic.... Give it a rest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

The proposed ban on trans people serving in the army for one, as well as their proposal from a few months back to to roll back Obama-era civil rights safeguards that banned discrimination against transgender people as medical patients and health insurance customers.

I havn't really been keeping abreast of things so don't know how they're getting on with enacting these proposals tbh but it shows that the desire is there.

RWCNT wrote: »
    The proposed ban on trans people serving in the army for one, as well as their proposal from a few months back to to roll back Obama-era civil rights safeguards that banned discrimination against transgender people as medical patients and health insurance customers.

I havn't really been keeping abreast of things so don't know how they're getting on with enacting these proposals tbh but it shows that the desire is there.

what else would you expect with Mike Pence as VP.

I would defend her.

Sorry that that happens to you.

That's terrible. I've been attacked lots of times too. Sometimes for the way I was dressed, sometimes because I was holding hands with a black girl and sometimes because I just looked vulnerable. It's horrible. Some people will use any excuse to attack people. Horrible people.

Defend myself to the best of my ability. It's all you can do really. There will always be abusive thugs unfortunately.

Sorry to hear it. There are arseholes out there. On balance though and this isn’t victim anything, it happens to gay people and couples particularly more than straight people and couples.

One of the missions of pride is to give people some courage and reassurance that it’s ok to be who they are and not have to walk in fear. Alone or with their significant other.

This isn’t hard to grasp. Or shouldn’t be. Especially as you have had similar horrible experiences.

Calhoun wrote: »
    I was paraphrasing something someone else early on in the thread said about it being good for straight people being a minority at a major parade in Ireland and how they could take the back seat for the day.

The trans article was in one of the 8th threads.

Straight people are always welcome at Pride :)

Regarding the 8th, that legislation(and/or said articles) was nothing about mtf trans as you had stated but with ftm trans.

Calling me a queer is not rude, it is well beyond that. What we have seen on this is continual efforts to downplay and dismiss homophobia. I could have sworn that the first post says that there was to be no homophobia on this thread but the mods seem to have forgotten that it exists.

Fair enough, it is beyond rude. If meant as an insult (as opposed to someone being thick and not realising that it is not OK) it is offensive, disgusting, derogatory and unacceptable.

To say that a punch in the face in return is unacceptable does not downplay homophobia. Its simply stating a fact.

• Advertisement
Advertisement