Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

rooney30 wrote: »
    I judge the possibility of snow in the coming weeks on how busy the F1 thread is . It’s dropped off considerably in the past few days so that gives me my answer

What's Formula 1 got to do with the weather?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

What's Formula 1 got to do with the weather?! :pac:

; ) be nice its christmas!
    Hopfully January will produce the goods. We Will have have to to climb on top of the snow drifts clinging on to the telephone wires to guide us to the town for supplies : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

From Met Eireann

“On Sunday evening a band of showers will cross the country from the northwest, turning increasingly to sleet and snow as they move southeasterwards. Some snow accumulations are possible even to lower levels through much of Ulster and Leinster.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Band of wintry precipitation will cross the country Sunday Night into Monday morning. It will be rain and sleet along the west and south west. Wet snow along the eastern half of the country, accumulations unlikely at lower levels. Another area of sleet and snow for Monday afternoon could bring a dusting in some areas even a low levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Meanwhile Bella is beginning her St Stephen's Day visit... Getting loud already

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

High ground does look more likely to get any accumulating snow, but i would not rule out settling snow to some lower levels further east. I thought previously we might get to see some settling snow during Sunday night into Monday, but it looks like it could well be just lovely cold rain for the western side of the country. There will be nice scenes in the Wicklow mountains over the next few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Donegal and Leitrim

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Wintry showers during Sunday with some accumulations possible. Risk of icy stretches on untreated surfaces.

Valid: 06:00 Sunday 27/12/2020 to 20:00 Sunday 27/12/2020

Issued: 14:00 Saturday 26/12/2020

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

Got out for a lovely walk + chance for us to try out new bike Santa brought.

Not too stormy yet in Dublin so we were grand once your wrapped up well.

Home now for nice dinner + christmas movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Overcast, cool and dry in South Laois. Thick high cloud earlier allowed "watery" sunshine through - and the sky was unusual in a uniform grey-yellow. Breezy, gone from 10mph avg to around 15mph now with gusting into the low 30s mph. Mild enough temperatures at 8.4c despite the breeze making it feel much cooler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

8 degrees and overcast in East Clare all day..Rain started 15 minutes ago and the wind is getting strong now.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

528 Damline over us.

21 hours time.
    Some of us are going to see snow.
    2Oy0Iyr.png

Ruj1VTs.png

7naSz3E.png
    fONC3TF.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Some nice look charts there cs . Finger crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Not showing snow where I live. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Happen to be in DCC this pm. Was dry and overcast up until about 4.15 but breezy and biting cold. It’s raining heavy since and is a thoroughly miserable evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Every month of the past 2 years seems to be the coldest/wettest on record, just a giant endless dark cloud of misery over Ireland, while much of the rest of Europe is experiencing the opposite, record-setting warming temperatures.

Covid and brexit have taken all the headlines obviously but is not newsworthy as well? Certainly plays a big part in the already deteriorating mental health being of residents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

The_Brood wrote: »
    Every month of the past 2 years seems to be the coldest/wettest on record......

Thats simply not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Every month of the past 2 years seems to be the coldest/wettest on record, just a giant endless dark cloud of misery over Ireland, while much of the rest of Europe is experiencing the opposite, record-setting warming temperatures.

Covid and brexit have taken all the headlines obviously but is not newsworthy as well? Certainly plays a big part in the already deteriorating mental health being of residents.

March to June 2020 was some of the nicest weather I have ever experienced in Ireland. It was dry for the most part and we had lovely sunny days. The whole country was out walking or cycling. A magical time for the kids too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-had-sunniest-month-on-record-in-may-with-almost-300-hours-of-sunshine-1.4269874

Dublin had sunniest month on record in May with almost 300 hours of sunshine.
    Highest number of daily sunshine hours recorded was 15.3 hours in Co Wexford

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/this-spring-has-been-driest-on-record-in-leinster-1.4265574
    This spring has been the driest on record in Leinster since digital records began around 70 years ago, the national forecaster Met Éireann has said.
    Since early March seven weather stations have experienced an “absolute drought,” which is 15 consecutive days without rain.

Apart from the sunny spring though. I it has been pretty bad the last while. June-September was almost constant rain. Last winter was extremely wet and this winter is not much different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Anyway its an horrendous evening in here in meath, driving rain and very windy, nearly 7.5mm since around 4 o'clock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Anyway its an horrendous evening in here in meath, driving rain and very windy, nearly 7.5mm since around 4 o'clock

Can safely say that was the heaviest rain here in a long time, field flooded beside the house, and was to much for the drainage pipes, lawns, and parts of the driveway around the house flooded, all gone now thankfully, finished up with 13.7mm, so 6.2mm fell in the 2 hours from above post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

This upcoming colder spell doesn't look to provide as much interest as it looked pre Christmas. Also, we may be returning to mild muck early new year. Unless something comes out of the blue, the wait for proper cold goes on into mid Jan at least. That's what it looks like, don't shoot the messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

Can someone delete my post on the daily forecast sticky thread please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

It is all going the wrong side of marginal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

https://twitter.com/TradeWpower/status/1342980073402593283?s=20

For those who want positivity regarding possible proper winter weather into January. SSW looks good this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Was there any falling snow last night around the Dublin Mountains? Coming off the M50 at Ballinteer, past Marlay, there looked like a dump of snow on the road (as if it came of a car) ... but doesn't look possible given the weather reports.

Does substantial hail qualify ? Banked against the door out here … pelting down so not about to go out and take a photo!

West Mayo offshore

A freezing cold day here, the house is icy cold. There was a shower a few minutes ago but b;ue skies currently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

dry and clear here in Meath, might get a shower or two later.

Once we get tomorrow out of the way there appears to be alot of dry weather between Tuesday and next week apart from a few coastal showers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

Nice + sunny out but Jaysus its deceptive, its baltic out there + there is a breeze that would cut you in two. Currently only 3 degrees.

Yesterday was pleasant enough for my walk but I think today is a relax at home day and try and get the place in order!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I was just looking at videos of December 2010. The word marginal was not in use back then! With this in mind hopefully that word will disappear again in January. We still have a reasonable chance of that something colder in the New Year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I was just looking at videos of December 2010. The word marginal was not in use back then! With this in mind hopefully that word will disappear again in January. We still have a reasonable chance of that something colder in the New Year.

Fingers crossed because the current cool/cold spell is a bit of a lame duck with not much happening over the next 7 to 10 days. Hopefully we will see interesting charts develop in FI over the next week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Chilly day in cork city. Heavy showers of sleet and hail at times!

I had some lovely heavy snow showers while trekking above 200m in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Sleeting currently around west Connemara.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

light rain in Dublin 5.

more light drizzle here in Meath, you had to look into puddles of water to see it.

Pressure quite low this evening ,Donegal airport is at 965hpa at 5pm

Clear skies currently. Moon is out. I would go out with my telescope but it's too cold :D.

• Advertisement

Windy in the west once again, 9pm:

Newport gusting 47 knots
    Mace head 44 knots
    Knock 40 knots
    Finner 40 knots

(Malin head 962hpa @ 9pm)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yeah a steady strong wind here near Tralee with a 10 min avg of 39 km/h

Big rise in the temperature, now at 8.0C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Not sure if there was a snow thread or not for tonight but we had full on snow showers earlier (Dundalk) and by 8:30pm the place was covered in a thick blanket but it was wet snow so as soon as it stopped it melted before midnight. Temps have risen over the last few hours. Sorry I have no pictures from earlier.

The gale is the strong feature out here. Any precipitation is being hurled against the windows and the door can barely be opened.

Bitterly cold

I am looking forward to seeing what fell where later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Genuinley some of the strongest winds I've heard in a while atm on cork city hitting the house right now and can hear it howling even when it isn't directly hitting. Don't have a wind speed yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Cork981

Genuinley some of the strongest winds I've heard in a while atm on cork city hitting the house right now and can hear it howling even when it isn't directly hitting. Don't have a wind speed yet

Agree, Northside of the city here and front of the house is really taking a battering with those gusts.

• Advertisement

No pause or respite the whole night long . A battering and a howling and sporadic rain or hail at the windows. Wearisome! But the power is holding so all is well. Looking forward to peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

A windy night and morning alright with that strong and gusty northerly. Mace Head reporting a gust of 63 knots (117 kms) in the Met Éireann 8am reports.

I went out for coal which thankfully is in the lee of the dwelling. At the back facing north, standing up is hard and the ocean just past the end of the garden is a turmoil

Utterly glorious but too cold to stay out in.

A mostly cloudy morning here in wexford. Rain shower passing over currently.

Still raining here. Extremely cold too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement