Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Summer/Autumn/Winter 2014-15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Feeling jealous reading all these posts, nothing in the north east today, its been warm and sunny all day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

iv tried to post pics but all the attachment/youtube options in the post window dont seem to be available,am i missing something

Quick make another post, recently a minimum of 50 posts and a couple of weeks posting applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭squarecircles

thunder thunder everywhere
    but i can not post anywhere.

the intense thunderstorm was about 4 miles east of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

Anyone watching Belgium v Tunisia on Setanta Ireland, game stopped due to golfball sized hail.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Wow look at the continent for Monday. LI up to -14 and CAPE off the scale, over 4,200 j/kg! :eek:

ZVSdSiB.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

thunder lightning and hailstones now (donegal town)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Fear_an_tarbh

txjpuzg.png

Over Clew Bay at about 5.15pm, saw a really cool fork when I was driving a couple of minutes before this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Thunder and torrential rain here in Achill now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Quite annoying that my home place in Donegal did significantly better that I did today considering the forecast last night! Absolutely nothing here in London, a nice active front passed north this morning though the cold front was too progressive so no chance of heating in between for some proper storms. Donegal in contrast seems to have had a decent show

Amazing storm in Belgium this evening as well, most likely a supercell. When I checked the live view on lightning maps there was about 5 strikes every second and I've read reports of downbursts and baseball sized hail

cotton buds

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Black skies rolling in over Castlebar. Looks promising!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Lenny5 wrote: »
    Black skies rolling in over Castlebar. Looks promising!

Two storms here in one day would be great :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

That reminds me of the Ukraine v France match in Donetsk during Euro 2012

7375182420_fdc1299806_o.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

England match in Maimi suspended because of a thunderstorm!

some cloudscapes in Mayo today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

met eireann has thunder over southeast for tonight. how likely is cork going to get some action tonight?

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    met eireann has thunder over southeast for tonight. how likely is cork going to get some action tonight?

None. CAPE values too low for a low risk situation until morning again.

You should have seen the radar of an approaching belt with lightning to the left of us lightning to the right of us [not much but lightning] and the well organised stream breaks in two and gives us almost clear skies, earlier on.

AND we had guaranteed high CAPE values that would have taken full advantage of even the tiniest bit of opposing volts values, but it split in two distinct clusters which gave parts of Kerry a short but good display and parts of Waterford had a strike or two and we had a gap.

Someone has the Cork shield on overdrive and if I find him, we'll both go down and put his generator out. :pac::D:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Red Nissan wrote: »
    None. CAPE values too low for a low risk situation until morning again.

You should have seen the radar of an approaching belt with lightning to the left of us lightning to the right of us [not much but lightning] and the well organised stream breaks in two and gives us almost clear skies, earlier on.

AND we had guaranteed high CAPE values that would have taken full advantage of even the tiniest bit of opposing volts values, but it split in two distinct clusters which gave parts of Kerry a short but good display and parts of Waterford had a strike or two and we had a gap.

Someone has the Cork shield on overdrive and if I find him, we'll both go down and put his generator out. :pac::D:mad:

bah, why is met eireann teasing us so with lightening right over cork for tonight?:(:(

seriously omg the entire north west got hit hard today and is still getting hit, it's not fair. i will help down the cork shield and smash it to pieces :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭lolie

Only had one storm here today but died off as it went overhead.

Plenty of rumbles but only a few very faint flashes that werent visible on video.
    Looking at Flightradar earlier 2 US bound planes took a detour around the cell of the mayo coast.

My latest has a low risk from 02:00 through to 15:00. CAPE values plus 500J/kg by 09:00. {Sunday}.

Only a slight risk overnight along southern coastal areas.

3L6AMhu.gif

By tomorrow afternoon then, widespread moderate risk with midlands and northern areas looking best.

sIIGfHd.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

some cloudscapes in Mayo today.

Great shots, the third one is like a Paul Henry picture.

No lightening here in Kerry but had one large shower late afternoon where the temperature dropped 7C from 19.3C to 12.1C, no doubt the rain which fell started out as hailstone and melted on its long journey to the ground through relatively warm air.

2014060906_201406080721_2_stormforecast.xml.png

Started to kick off.

f3HvEGB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Nice rumble in the distance there. Cavan Town

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭highdef

monsoon like downpour here. Just getting the edge of the big shower in question. OH is on a jog round the block and no more than a few spits of rain where he is and there appears to be no threat of anything there. He's no more than about 1.5km away in an easterly direction, as the crow flies.

• Advertisement

yesterdays thunderstorm activity in the West.

Advertisement