Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/alfa-sud-project-1983/20609537

NGIzYjI1MzFkZTU1YWQ4MmY5OTQ5ZWI4ZjNiZDExZWWwLgf_TPr5PGrQxb4PLfygaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTYxMTEzNDV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice project here for someone, though it isn't (IMO) particularly cheap. Not as pretty as a chrome bumper model, but still and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,869 ✭✭✭✭unkel

unfit2006 wrote: »
    Same chap has a nice 996 for sale at a very keen price and a Campervan.
    Interesting collection.

996 still ridiculously cheap for what they are. Around the bottom of the curve right now, will go up, and up in years to come.

Look at this!

Engine looks familiar :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

That 996 is certainly priced to sell. Probably ridiculous amount of VRT to pay on it.

• Advertisement

unfit2006 wrote: »
    That 996 is certainly priced to sell.

Steady on. It's an auction. Current bid GBP5.5k but surely it wil go up a good bit higher :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/alfa-sud-project-1983/20609537

NGIzYjI1MzFkZTU1YWQ4MmY5OTQ5ZWI4ZjNiZDExZWWwLgf_TPr5PGrQxb4PLfygaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTYxMTEzNDV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice project here for someone, though it isn't (IMO) particularly cheap. Not as pretty as a chrome bumper model, but still and all!

Beware the words "easy project" - I have yet to find such a mythical creature!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Gravelly wrote: »
    Beware the words "easy project" - I have yet to find such a mythical creature!

Especially with anything Italian of that era.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

unkel wrote: »
    996 still ridiculously cheap for what they are. Around the bottom of the curve right now, will go up, and up in years to come.
    LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Shame you take a gamble with the engines in the 996 (unless you get a nice Turbo one).

You need one where the engine has been done and certified properly as having been done.

If this one checks out it's a bargain at £8,500

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201901103812717?sort=sponsored&price-to=8500&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&model=911&make=PORSCHE&radius=1500&postcode=tw74qw&price-from=8000&page=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Ryano87

Pity about the K-series.

What's the issue with K-Series? I thought these were supposed to be decent engines and with uprated head gaskets pretty decent engines?

I think that would be an extremely fun little car, circa 160bhp in a little mg!

I see the seller also has another Midget up which is standard but also looks spotless.

P.S. I was tempted to go test at the one with the k - series hence my question. I looked at it in cars and coffee this month before I saw it for sale and it looks mint

Ryano87 wrote: »
    What's the issue with K-Series? I thought these were supposed to be decent engines and with uprated head gaskets pretty decent engines?

I think that would be an extremely fun little car, circa 160bhp in a little mg!

I see the seller also has another Midget up which is standard but also looks spotless

I suppose my issue would mainly be with a modern engine, I'd just prefer an original engine (or at least a period-correct engine), preferably one that was uprated.

Secondly, despite popular opinion, the K-series is almost never reliable, uprated gaskets (and bolts) or not. On paper it is a great engine, but it is unreliable no matter what you do. I know of K-series engines that were uprated in the UK at a large cost, and still failed. They have a design flaw that makes them prone to overheating, and the length of the head bolts means even slight overheating invariably leads to hg failure, regardless of the gasket fitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I suppose my issue would mainly be with a modern engine, I'd just prefer an original engine (or at least a period-correct engine), preferably one that was uprated.

Secondly, despite popular opinion, the K-series is almost never reliable, uprated gaskets (and bolts) or not. On paper it is a great engine, but it is unreliable no matter what you do. I know of K-series engines that were uprated in the UK at a large cost, and still failed. They have a design flaw that makes them prone to overheating, and the length of the head bolts means even slight overheating invariably leads to hg failure, regardless of the gasket fitted.
    Fitting steel locating dowels instead of the crappy plastic standard ones helps a lot on those engines.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Fitting steel locating dowels instead of the crappy plastic standard ones helps a lot on those engines.

Yup the plastic locating dowels were a joke, but replacing them does nothing to address the fundamental design flaws in the engine.

"HERE'S SOMETHING YOU DON'T SEE EVERY DAY"

Yeah, there's a reason for that.

+1

Had the K-series in my MG-F. Drove it very hard, redlining (7k rpm) the engine morning noon and night. Not a bother on it. Also had it in my Rover 75 which I also picked up dirt cheap when it was 5 years old. Kept it for 5 years, never any engine trouble on that K-series either (or anything else really except a coolant temp sensor that I replaced myself for €15)

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I have a soft spot for the old K-Series. With some uprated parts they are great. Our race school cars have had them in them for years and take awful abuse with no real complaints.
    +1

Had the K-series in my MG-F. Drove it very hard, redlining (7k rpm) the engine morning noon and night. Not a bother on it. Also had it in my Rover 75 which I also picked up dirt cheap when it was 5 years old. Kept it for 5 years, never any engine trouble on that K-series either (or anything else really except a coolant temp sensor that I replaced myself for €15)

Like I said earlier, a great engine in many ways, but with fundamental design flaws. When running well, it had superb power-to-weight ratio and low centre of gravity (thus why it was used in so many race and track conversions) and it was a sweet-running unit - I owned a Rover 75, an MG ZT, and an MG F with that engine, and loved them all, but it was always prone to overheating at the slightest excuse (especially in the F where the engine was enclosed) and combined with poor factory rads in many of the cars it was fitted to, it was always borderline for reliability. Despite what most people think, the biggest problem with it was the length of the head bolts, as they were prone to stretching, which meant that it didn't matter what head gasket you fitted, it would fail (no matter what some clever UK marketing departments said!). I've heard of lots of people that got away with no trouble, but sooner or later every single one of them will fail in my experience. I know that Rover did an insane amount of testing to find a way around the problem, but they never could. High tensile bolts, steel spigots, and a multilayer gasket postponed the inevitable, but couldn't solve the fundamental problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I know it's only January 15th but that is going to be hard to beat for the oddest classic ad of the year award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Someone go and look at this!

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-190e-w201/20795426

Full spec UK Merc 190e on Irish plates - it has everything a 190e can have short of a winter pack. A/C, leather, leccy windows, mirrors, even an electric antenna! No Motorola admittedly.

• Advertisement

Full spec UK Merc 190e on Irish plates - it has everything a 190e can have short of a winter pack. A/C, leather, leccy windows, mirrors, even an electric antenna! No Motorola admittedly.

Nicest one I've seen in a while. Tempted.

I don't think it has ABS. Also another year, maybe almost two at €710 motor tax. Don't like the spoiler or the wheels. But I guess it could be a decent buy if you got a decent chunk of money off that

Sold my own today, the new owner drove it all the way from Dublin to south Kerry and he's delighted with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

NCT to May 2nd. Front left wing looks off colour?

Nice spec alright, a good wash and polish would help, probably no more than 18 months on the full rate of tax (thinking Aug 2020 at the latest)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I did wonder about ABS, it has the symbol on the strip under the clocks but I'm not sure if that means it actually has anti-locking.

Be nice if you were looking for a fairly major project - the good thing about those is that you can get pretty much everything for them. You'd want to like welding though.

That looks like a wreck tbh, Duke.

The 6.9 badge doesn't inspire confidence about the car having a decent history either :rolleyes:

The 6.9 badge doesn't inspire confidence about the car having a decent history either :rolleyes:

Complete strip and rebuild would be the only job I'd say.

Probably cheaper to start with a better car than this one :)

• Advertisement

Probably..

Test exempt though, you know as well as I do that theres more than a few out there who'd be happy to fill it up with isopon and drive it on!!

Advertisement