Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

...and yet in reality they are a colossal step up. It's actually hard to think of a model change of pretty much any car when the following model was so radically different in terms of looks, interior design, transmissions and engines, options, technical prowess and engineering. I still love the E38, no question. But having owned both for over 10 years, I wouldn't even class them in the same segment they're that different. The E38 is a bit more driver focused, less refined, lower, stiffer, handles a bit better. The E65 feels waftier, more opulent, powerful and elegant with more presence; its like stepping back in time sitting back in an E38, each car from a different millennium. Depends what you want for your money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

Worth buying and enjoying for the tax alone. Unreal looking car the e65 is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I checked and Autoline will cover that 735 on a classic policy for €360

Someone buy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

...and yet in reality they are a colossal step up. It's actually hard to think of a model change of pretty much any car when the following model was so radically different in terms of looks, interior design, transmissions and engines, options, technical prowess and engineering. I still love the E38, no question. But having owned both for over 10 years, I wouldn't even class them in the same segment they're that different. The E38 is a bit more driver focused, less refined, lower, stiffer, handles a bit better. The E65 feels waftier, more opulent, powerful and elegant with more presence; its like stepping back in time sitting back in an E38, each car from a different millennium. Depends what you want for your money.
    Sorry, maybe I should have been a bit clearer on what I meant by a step down.
    I meant, I preferred the looks of the e38 to the e65.
    And I still do.
    But the e65 is growing on me, and if I had the space I'd love a nice one to have on a "classic" policy.
    I'd still prefer an e38 750i though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

KevRossi wrote: »
    FWIW BMW advertise a lot of their upper level cars in Germany as having 'Buffalo Leather' (or Bison as we know it). It's always from the male as females get stretch marks when in calf.

Rolls and Bentley oddly enough take their leather from Alpine cattle, again always from the male due to stretch marks, but as Alpine pastures have almost no barbed wire or thorny ditches it is preferred as there is less chance of the leather being from an animal with scars.

I remember watching a documentary on Bentley where they said the reason for using alpine cattle was that there are no mosquitoes above a certain altitude, so no bite marks on the hide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,480 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I checked and Autoline will cover that 735 on a classic policy for €360

Someone buy it!

Interesting, never heard of them, presume this is them...

https://www.autoline.co.uk/car/classic-vehicle/

Is it 15 years for them to classify it as a classic? Can it be your main car or does it have to be a 2nd car, any mileage restrictions?

Interesting, never heard of them, presume this is them...

https://www.autoline.co.uk/car/classic-vehicle/

Is it 15 years for them to classify it as a classic? Can it be your main car or does it have to be a 2nd car, any mileage restrictions?

They will insure certain cars at 15 years old; BMW, Audi, Merc mostly. You need a main policy, and mileage limits can be negotiated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,024 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But thats a UK company, will they insure a RoI resident on an Irish car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

NIMAN wrote: »

Yes, but will it be valid after Brexit???

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Truckermal wrote: »

Lovely car. 1300 tax will mean few takers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Doesn't that S80 belong to someone on here? Supergurrier?

mickdw wrote: »
    Lovely car. 1300 tax will mean few takers though.

It's better than my €1545....:pac:

bazz26 wrote: »
    Doesn't that S80 belong to someone on here? Supergurrier?

Aye he bought a little Renault think it's a 1.5 DCI that's dickied up with sporty bits!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

A CL500AMG - 5ltr just under €4K

Make :Mercedes-Benz
    Model :CL-Class
    Year :2005
    Mileage :106,000 mi
    Fuel Type :Petrol
    Body Type :Coupe
    Engine Size : 5.0 litre
    Road Tax : €1,809
    NCT Expiry : Jun 2019
    Previous Owners : 6

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/cl-500-amg/20719148

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

A CL500AMG - 5ltr just under €4K

Make :Mercedes-Benz
    Model :CL-Class
    Year :2005
    Mileage :106,000 mi
    Fuel Type :Petrol
    Body Type :Coupe
    Engine Size : 5.0 litre
    Road Tax : €1,809
    NCT Expiry : Jun 2019
    Previous Owners : 6

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/cl-500-amg/20719148

Has some interesting options. Linguatronic voice control. Staggered 19" alloys. AMG kit. Keyless go. Not the car to buy if you're looking for a sports car, it's more of a cruiser. Start engine and listen for any noise from the AC compressor or ABC suspension pump, both often problem areas. Raise the suspension to its maximum height and check each shock for leakage, they're over €1400 + VAT each. The soft close will most likely be broken on one or other door. The PSE pumps are made of chocolate. De lamination of the double glazed windows is normal. It's a very cheap car considering that it's €195,000 new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,249 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the amount of these i have seen with collapsed air suspension....abandoned in drive ways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Cyrus wrote: »
    the amount of these i have seen with collapsed air suspension....abandoned in drive ways

There’s surely a coil spring conversion kit available for these. I’ve seen them for other high end Mercs so I’m sure there’s something for these too. Save on the 1400+vat a corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

There’s surely a coil spring conversion kit available for these. I’ve seen them for other high end Mercs so I’m sure there’s something for these too. Save on the 1400+vat a corner.

Yeah they do exist....

• Advertisement

It's a real nightmare to replace all the hydraulic (not air) suspension on these with standards shocks. They will all sit down if left for a couple of days. Rebuilt shocks are available for about €800 from Germany but very few are prepared to fit them. Standard shocks will destroy the ride and as they only need to be replaced once in the cars life I'd just swallow the cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭MarkN

Something cool though if you got the right one eh?

MarkN wrote: »
    Something cool though if you got the right one eh?

Amazing cars to drive, smooth and economical (relatively speaking) I love mine despite it being more demanding than a wife

Bargain bucket luxo barge!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-607-3-litre-v6/20885278

MmZjMmYyY2Y0ZDI4ZjIzNGE5YTBhYTk2YWU2OTRkNmFFp-rjIPLgFYtDHdMXD7-waHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTcxMDE4Njh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

607 V6, NCT to 2020, tax to 4/19, €1500

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

That's a beauty. I ran a 2 litre diesel version for couple of years. Couldn't fault it.
    A very much underrated car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Nice plate, but very hard to spend €1500 taxing a Peugeot.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

BMW 735i is there any things to look out for on these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

DonalK1981 wrote: »
    BMW 735i is there any things to look out for on these?

ho ho ho... where to start....
    Bring a torch for the engine bay, an OBD and drive the wheels off it before you buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

pah wrote: »

at that mileage it can go roll into the sea behind it hah. thats a 2 grand car all day long. with half that mileage it would be just about 4k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

That plate is brilliant too. But for €3900 I’d expect 12 months tax on it it.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

That plate is brilliant too. But for €3900 I’d expect 12 months tax on it it.

The NCT is out since 10th January.

Is it my imagination of did an 18 year old Lexus used to sell for €1,800 with an NCT during the recession ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,480 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

homer90 wrote: »

Crazily priced, a couple years ago same year was going for less than half this. Perhaps the collapse in the price of petrol has made them more appealing :D

It was €7k when I posted it here last year!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106469435

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

jelutong wrote: »
    That's a beauty. I ran a 2 litre diesel version for couple of years. Couldn't fault it.
    A very much underrated car.

Beauty it is, I bought a 2.2l diesel auto on 2017. The biggest pile of sh1t I ever owned. After a 1989 Fiat Tipo in student years. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

About €2k more than what I would pay for them.
    That's me though. The current cost of ownership just devalues them too much for me.

• Advertisement

I also wouldn't bother with the 320. It's underpowered for the size of the car. Smooth V8 in those is the M119, an engine which would last forever

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a8/20961603

N2ZjYzIwZjc3ZDJhMTEyZDZjNjJiOTExZmQ1OGZlZDfutLQh6czgQYL-oIkc2RDhaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTc2ODQ5MTN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

NCT till October, €1950

I would!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I would too.But it just has the looks of a car that was towed there!!!

I will have an 06 730d coming up for sale soon. Years test, three months tax. Brand new tyres (Nankang somethings, they were on it when I got it, not at all too bad)

Good spec on it; sunroof, comfort seats with active function, adaptive cruise, soft close doors with keyless entry/lock, auto boot close, cd changer, rear blinds all round etc etc

Am I miles off the mark asking €5k? It’s a really nice example, 244k kms, blue with beige leather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭slipperyox

I will have an 06 730d coming up for sale soon. Years test, three months tax. Brand new tyres (Nankang somethings, they were on it when I got it, not at all too bad)

Good spec on it; sunroof, comfort seats with active function, adaptive cruise, soft close doors with keyless entry/lock, auto boot close, cd changer, rear blinds all round etc etc

Am I miles off the mark asking €5k? It’s a really nice example, 244k kms, blue with beige leather

No

if it costs that to bring in from the UK, then your not far off the mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-bmw-730d-nct-5-20/19605814

3,750 - from a dealer
    16 months NCT
    No tax
    213kms

It’s for sale near enough a year now and is very poorly speced. Does look clean though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

http://www.adverts.ie/17270440

I know a GS300 isn't really a barge....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭beertons

jharr100 wrote: »
    http://www.adverts.ie/17270440

I know a GS300 isn't really a barge....

Would that mileage be right?

Truckermal posted that GS a few pages back afaik.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement