Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I did some detailing...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Claying doesn't help at all actually. I clayed that E60 thoroughly and it made not a blind bit of difference. What worked and always works is the D/A and cutting polish.

A few more pics:

This was polishing the windows with cerium oxide (CarPro Ceriglass):

30607191207_8d446f0590_c.jpg

More fingerprints:

31675778438_1b84031f52_c.jpg

Done:

45548217391_3c41d3f25f_c.jpg

30607191167_9d3d230aa4_c.jpg

31675778318_628bbf8668_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Looking good Dave,
    Great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭booooonzo

Hi all,
    not sure if this is the right place for this or to start a new thread but I'll put here for now.
    I have 1 large van camper conversion (single stage paint, Renault blue)
    and two cars to detail. (Saab 93 , 07 Civic both black)

I have just got a new dual action polisher das6 pro plus with orange and blue hex pads.
    Also have Maguire's compound and AG SRP and McGuire's gold class wash

I know I need to stock up on products but im at a loss where to start!

Both cars will need decontaminating & 2 stage polishs.
    Neither has had much love.

The van is so big and single stage paint so I was hoping one pass with the maguire ultimate compound would be enough and then sealed somehow?

If you guys were doing these 3 on a relative small budget what products would you stock up on?
    Clay bars/mats? How many/best value would be needed
    IPA
    Compound / polish - pad combos - no idea here
    Microfibers/mitts
    Waxes sealants, do I need a different one for van vs cars?

Any advice and links to a shop that does it all would be great

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

I decided to make use of some of the Christmas detailing gifts I received and gave the arches of the car a proper clean and decontamination.

I started by pressure washing down the arches to get rid of any loose debris, followed by:

Bilt-Hamber Auto foam for a pre soak, left to dwell for 5-10 minutes.
    Bilt-Hamber Sufex APC diluted 1:4 and agitated with various different detailing and wheel brushes
    Bilt-Hamber Korrosol
    Glimmermann Tartruct to deal with all the tar deposits from last Summer

Finished off with Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber on the arch liners, and then coated all metal parts of arches and accessible parts of the underside with Bilt Hamber Atom-Mac

Unfortunately I forgot to take any before pics, but its safe to say they are in better shape than they were. Not the worst I have seen, but I'd say the car never had a proper wheels off clean.

KHlt6ve.jpg?1

KGQYV8n.jpg?1

XD0XLxz.jpg?1

Bilt-Hamber Atom-Mac claims to be a "Migratory Corrosion Inhibitor". It supposedly helps prevent against rust and corrosion. Hard to quantify the effect it will have but I thought it was worth a go since old Nissans are prone to rusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

After buying the GTi almost 4 years ago, I washed it religiously every 2 weeks and always kept it in tip-top condition and shining by applying the latest wax/sealant. However, the last year has been exceptionally busy with a house purchase then re-build/extension, wedding, busy job and a lot of travel. All of this meant that sadly the car was neglected and was not washed in almost a full year

With things easing off towards the end of the year, I got my ar*e in gear and finally had the shed finished (floored, electric'd and plumbed). This meant I could at long last take my detailing gear from my parents' shed and wash the car!

I started first on the interior. It wasn't too bad, a good hover and then a once over with ODK Cabin had it looking (and smelling) great again.

Next I got to work on the exterior. It was a sorry sight being absolutely caked in crap. I used Koch Chemie together with a dash of IPA and foamed the car with it. It removed a large amount of the dirt and softened the remainder. I then give it a 2BM wash using CarPro Reset, I like how slick it is and find it has great cleaning power.

I had foamed, pressure washed and then hand washed the wheels - they came up very nicely as I coated them with DLUX about 18 months ago and it's still very much alive. I then hit them with Korrosol and it was amazing how much fallout had built up, the fronts in particular lit up! (I didn't have time for a pic as I was racing the light).

Next job was to decontaminate the paint. First with Korrosol, then with Tar-X. Thereafter, I went to work with a G3 clay mitt. I'm a big fan of clay mitts, I've found them very effective at removing contaminants, very safe and much quicker to cover an entire car than traditional clay. Even though I had only driven about 6,000klms in the last year, the amount of contamination on the paint was surprising. Every panel needed work. Once the paint was nice and glassy, I rinsed her off and dried her down.

I had a few options in terms of an LSP, but I came back to my old reliable - Soft 99 Fusso. It met the brief in that it's easy to apply and remove, has good (but not amazing) gloss and would easily see the car through the rest of the winter.

I finished up just as dusk was coming in, so please excuse the poor quality of pics, but it was wonderful to see her shine again and it felt deeply satisfying to get back in the saddle so to speak.

Before:

MzLbfCjh.jpg

vwPXYAuh.jpg

ohzqDOEh.jpg

LKOhhejh.jpg

57ygieAh.jpg

After:

ofAqNSUh.jpg

02YhNNeh.jpg

EV3lp8th.jpg

5mkkNtch.jpg

I was greeted by this bead-mobile the next morning. I had forgotten just how good Fusso is, the beading and sheeting is fantastic:

j7LFrHph.jpg

wOmpdGCh.jpg

ONeZerth.jpg

DA5HyNNh.jpg

The final job was the engine bay. It was about as grubby as one would expect. I covered up the alternator and sprayed down the bay with a 30% solution of Surfex. I then went to work with a detailing brush. I then wiped it down with a damp microfibre. Once finished and dried off, I gave the plastics a coating of DLUX and I think it turned out well.

Before:

8iCfArkh.jpg

After:

kg7ggeWh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Excellent work!!

(What year is the GTi outta curiosity?)

Thanks. She's a 2011.

Excellent work Ronnie.
    I still am a big fan of Fusso,
    It really is mighty stuff,
    Recently I have topped mine with a coat of Soft99 Water block.

vectra wrote: »
    Excellent work Ronnie.
    I still am a big fan of Fusso,
    It really is mighty stuff,
    Recently I have topped mine with a coat of Soft99 Water block.

For the price, easy of application, protection and water action, I think it's unbeatable.

I applied a ceramic coating (C Quartz) soon after getting the car. The prep and application were a complete pain in the balls and it didn't even last two years. Fusso will easily last 9 months and is a breeze to apply.

I got a tin of King of Gloss free when I got the Fusso as there was an offer on at the time. Might top it with that, see how it looks.

• Advertisement

First wash of 2019
    Car was kind of manky after 1k kms.
    Foamed with KKD Blizzard.
    Washed with Insta finish supa foam shampoo
    Never got to dry it as it was too late.

qot0dx.jpg

2u70dpg.jpg

2upd9is.jpg

4l1tuf.jpg

Much better :cool:

8yc2gg.jpg

Nice job Ronnie! You need to scrub your tyre walls, they're a bit brown looking

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    For the price, easy of application, protection and water action, I think it's unbeatable.

I applied a ceramic coating (C Quartz) soon after getting the car. The prep and application were a complete pain in the balls and it didn't even last two years. Fusso will easily last 9 months and is a breeze to apply.

I got a tin of King of Gloss free when I got the Fusso as there was an offer on at the time. Might top it with that, see how it looks.

KOG is excellent on top of Fusso
    I actually remember you putting CQUK on
    Like you, never again, had it on my passat

Nice job Ronnie! You need to scrub your tyre walls, they're a bit brown looking

Aye, left my tyre scrubbing brush in my folks' shed. Have it now so will be attacking them this weekend!
    vectra wrote: »
    KOG is excellent on top of Fusso

Does it change the water behavior much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Got the Auto Finesse ceramic windscreen wipes in Halfords before Christmas as I knew I'd be doing a load of road over Christmas..

Put it on.. great job..

But after 3 days of road.. useless. Reduced to a smeary windscreen. Never again.

"Ceramic" wipes?...in a pack? Good lord

Does it change the water behavior much?

Not as good as fusso
    Still decent enough though.

"Ceramic" wipes?...in a pack? Good lord

Ya use once throw away job.. like a johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Was wondering about those AF ceramics, is the paint and wheel version wipes aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

keano25 wrote: »
    Ya use once throw away job.. like a johnny

But it isn't how a ceramic coating works. A lot of prep work to do before just wiping......

• Advertisement

But it isn't how a ceramic coating works. A lot of prep work to do before just wiping......

Oh ya there's cleaner etc in the set too. Like I said when it first when on was brilliant.. but didn't have any durability.

"Ceramic" has become a buzz word in the valeting and car cleaning industry even for stuff like those wipes which are no more ceramic than a paper bag.

I'd just use Gyeon Cancoat or Gtechniq C2 not waste time or money on ceramic wipes

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

After buying the GTi almost 4 years ago, I washed it religiously every 2 weeks and always kept it in tip-top condition and shining by applying the latest wax/sealant. However, the last year has been exceptionally busy with a house purchase then re-build/extension, wedding, busy job and a lot of travel. All of this meant that sadly the car was neglected and was not washed in almost a full year

Looking at the pics, I hope you didn't extend and block the car in!? House one end, hedge/shed the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Great work Ronnie!!

I've neglected to look after my car of late. Just can't seem to find the time to look after it and my when I do I seem to be missing MF cloths and products. All I can do is a snow foam, wash and apply Kleen Freaks Rinse and Seal (only lasts for about 4 weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Both cars were looking a little the worse for wear so decided to get them sorted.

929-E076-B-FE0-D-451-F-AE33-E306332-F0-DB5.jpg

Pre-wash, gtechniq citrus wash as foam and shampoo, rinse, de-tar and iron x, rinse, C2v3 as a drying aid and another coat when it was dry.

IMG-20190119-150205.jpg

Repeated on hers.

IMG-20190119-165608.jpg

7-D98616-E-78-C3-4365-9-BD2-3-C2-CE6666-E4-F.jpg

Too much tar remover for one day though, can feel it in my chest!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Snap....
    Same car and same ****e....

This was taken after I washed the car. Loads of tar. Tar x and iron x used to bring it back.
    IMG-20190119-145141.jpg

IMG-20190119-145512.jpg

IMG-20190119-155836.jpg

IMG-20190119-155847.jpg

IMG-20190119-155906.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Just got a white car. Guess I may buy shares in tar-x

What wax do you guys use on the white?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

heroics wrote: »
    Just got a white car. Guess I may buy shares in tar-x

What wax do you guys use on the white?

White isn’t that bad bar tar spots. It hides a lot of minor chips and all that.

Fusso works well, if you wash regularly Gtechniq C2V3 is easy to apply and top up and gives a good glossy shine.

• Advertisement

I swapped tar-x for Reflect Auto Care tar remover, a litre is only 12 quid

Advertisement