Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did some detailing...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Parapara2017

53731929_2209556435768776_5016013170225971200_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=d10abbb9c2524d5c790de1fcf489f6a5&oe=5D1F35CC
    53717354_2209556685768751_8908769079741906944_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=a69fdaad825116859a496136a0fd7635&oe=5D14BD26

53183061_2209556509102102_8826779880638119936_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=ea13b427cd83d068691d3a91d8291eac&oe=5D2508E6

In for some ceramic coating done by Brian at Spirit Detailing, great work.

More pics over at his Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/802702693120831

First proper wash (by me) and took the opportunity to throw some coats of bilt hamber hydra wax. Looks great.

Two bucket with sonax wash which I got recently decided to give it a try, happy enough with it. Snow foam was bilt hamber.

Didn't clay, although some spots do need it as I discovered when waxing, just some stubborn dirt but didnt go and fix it as I was too far in and couldn't be bothered :P Next time!

Didn't get the wheel wells either which is disappointing but very hard to access on it and also need to invest in some more cloths etc for wheels and waxing.

Also threw some wax on the alloys, looks great discovered some weird scuffy marks on them in places in the corners may be stubborn dirt looks like it or someone took some bad washing gear to them before will try clay on them next time. I'm sure the wax on them wont last very long but it looks great on the gloss black

Happy with the overall results Im sure it will lash rain tonight now!

6GxQq4G.jpg
    P4GHNos.jpg
    HmOy0Rj.jpg
    LljthPZ.jpg
    sTS2MKi.jpg
    Sn8wsAK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Does look great, however, why have you waxed over your recently applied ceramic coating. You've immediately negated some of the properties that such a coating would offer. Mainly the hydrophobic properties meaning it wont stay as clean for as long, nor will it be quite as easy to clean in a few weeks.

Nice machine...say it's a great drive!!

Curran wrote: »
    Does look great, however, why have you waxed over your recently applied ceramic coating. You've immediately negated some of the properties that such a coating would offer. Mainly the hydrophobic properties meaning it wont stay as clean for as long, nor will it be quite as easy to clean in a few weeks.

Nice machine...say it's a great drive!!

I was under the impression / told you can wax over the ceramic coating without issue, just adds a bit of shine too it ceramic coating is still intact

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Well you can. But it negates certain aspects. It wont affect the coating. It will remain intact but water wont react in the same way as it would on just the ceramic. Water will now be interacting with the wax as opposed to the coating. The protection the ceramic offers wont be comprised.

Also forgot to mention in the previous post; there should be no need to clay the car for at least 6 months. There wont be any bonded contamination build up to remove so soon after a full decontamination, polish and protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Get some carpro Dlux for the wheels as well, makes life so much easier.
    If the wheel wells/inner arches are hard plastic, then prepare those as well and coat them with the Dlux.
    Lovely car.

No major spots just some stubborn black dirt / marks not coming off it was never fully polished / decon I think. Bought it used had 2700miles before I got it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

vectra wrote: »
    If the wheel wells/inner arches are hard plastic, then prepare those as well and coat them with the Dlux.
    Lovely car.

I'd imagine that's a full days work is it vectra? What do you use to clean the wheels? I've used tar x on mine but there's still black spots on them that won't clear up.

Wailin wrote: »
    I'd imagine that's a full days work is it vectra? What do you use to clean the wheels? I've used tar x on mine but there's still black spots on them that won't clear up.

IronX
    Bilt hamber Auto wheel.
    As far as memory serves me I did mine in about 5 hours on the passat,
    Granted they were new, but same prep was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

vectra wrote: »
    Lovely car.

Would this be a good product for brand new wheels?
    Getting a new car in the next few weeks and want to get some protection on them straight away, spending far too long trying to get baked on brake dust off atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

ChuckLarry wrote: »
    Getting a new car in the next few weeks and want to get some protection on them straight away, spending far too long trying to get baked on brake dust off atm

Yes, also recommend not let the dealer clean the car or better still leave plastic wrap on if possible and get a proper paint protection on it.

Yes, also recommend not let the dealer clean the car or better still leave plastic wrap on if possible and get a proper paint protection on it.

Cheers thanks,
    I’m relatively new to the whole detailing thing but I’ve been studying (youtube) and buying some products testing them out on the current car, so far I’ve got Auto fineness Iron Out, clay bar and glide, Car pro eraser
    Still need to pick up some car pro hydro 2 lite and reload as well too
    Would that be a decent start protection wise for a newbie? I’m thinking I shouldn’t need to polish a new car?

Absolutely.
    It makes life so much easier.

Cheers thanks,
    I’m relatively new to the whole detailing thing but I’ve been studying (youtube) and buying some products testing them out on the current car, so far I’ve got Auto fineness Iron Out, clay bar and glide, Car pro eraser
    Still need to pick up some car pro hydro 2 lite and reload as well too
    Would that be a decent start protection wise for a newbie? I’m thinking I shouldn’t need to polish a new car?

What is it?

If it's something you want to stay looking good for longer then a full decontamination would be needed even from new and never driven as it will have all sorts of crap bonded to it from parked up to transportation.

I would suggest going a ceramic coating also as it's so much less work and once done right and treated right the car will look so well.

Detailers provide this service imo well worth the money as it will protect from swirls and light scratch etc....

It’s a golf.

And yes the plan was,

1. Full wash, snow foam, 2 bucket method etc.
    2. Decontamination using Iron Out and clay bar
    3. IPA wipe down using car pro eraser
    4. Ceramic using car pro hydro2 lite
    5. Extra protection/ quick detail using car pro reload.

I’m opting for a spray on spray off DIY ceramic coating as i don’t know if I have the experience to go for the real thing.

Was planning to do it myself rather than leave it in somewhere as I’m actually enjoying the process of doing it as a hobby and also the funds will be a bit lower after buying the car

Was thinking I would do the above once or twice and get a few months protecting then see about leaving it in to somewhere like spirit detailing for a spruce up and professional ceramic etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Tried the autosmart clay towel the weekend.. makes claying so easy..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I started into another big bloody job of work, a new Burstner motorhome. This is it just after delivery.

Motorhome-1.jpg?dl=1

First job was to feck off for a weekend or three to get to know it.

Then, yesterday I started into it. It started with a snowfoam wash with Bilt Hamber Auto-Foam, 2BM wash with Bilt Hamber Auto-Wash, dried and shoved into the garage. Wheels were washed with Bilt Hamber Auto-Wheel, an application of Korrisol and dried before shoving into the Garage.

Now tonight I went over the wheels with CarPro Eraser, wiped down and left to flash off (Grand cuppa was had!). Then the wheels got a coat of Gtechniq C5 wheel guard (I went shopping in DnD detailing) as I hate the way the brake dust dulls the gloss black wheels. The Ducato can produce a lot of brake dust. I know I cheated by not taking the wheels off but it's a fat ba$tard to jack up......

Wheel-1.jpg?dl=1

CarPro PERL 1:3 in water was then put on external plastics and I called it a night.

The saga continues tomorrow night.......

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭AutoMan79

Does anybody know if Detailing Shed still working?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

ianobrien wrote: »
    I started into another big bloody job of work, a new Burstner motorhome. This is it just after delivery.

Now tonight I went over the wheels with CarPro Eraser, wiped down and left to flash off (Grand cuppa was had!). Then the wheels got a coat of Gtechniq C5 wheel guard (I went shopping in DnD detailing) as I hate the way the brake dust dulls the gloss black wheels. The Ducato can produce a lot of brake dust. I know I cheated by not taking the wheels off but it's a fat ba$tard to jack up.....

The saga continues tomorrow night.......

Ah so it was yourself I was talking to about the C5 :D

AutoMan79 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if Detailing Shed still working?

I believe so but Curran isn't running it anymore and who is is very slow at sending stuff out and isnt re stocking it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭AutoMan79

Thanks for that!
    Any advice where to order Car pro products from ?

AutoMan79 wrote: »
    Thanks for that!
    Any advice where to order Car pro products from ?

Reflect autocare in ballycoolin stock a decent range of Car Pro stuff

Not everything they have is displayed on their website so dropping in may be better if your living in Dublin, although if you rang and asked what they have I’m sure they’d sort you out they’re decent chaps

Ah so it was yourself I was talking to about the C5 :D

Yep it was. Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Doing my Lexus this panel by panel every evening! I clayed and deterred at the weekend so all I need is the machine polisher...

I am using Menzerna medium cut polish with the blue pad which is excellent! The paint has no swirling to start with only a few scratches but the difference is amazing!

Truckermal wrote: »
    Doing my Lexus this panel by panel every evening! I clayed and deterred at the weekend so all I need is the machine polisher...

I am using Menzerna medium cut polish with the blue pad which is excellent! The paint has no swirling to start with only a few scratches but the difference is amazing!

Pics or it didn't happen :D

I sent you a WhatsApp I can't upload any recently taken pics...:(

I sent you a WhatsApp I can't upload any recently taken pics...:(

Looks good.
    True that she's no Mondeo though :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I felle like I'll have to do my car panel by panel. If I do the whole car, I'll rush it, and I don't have the time either work/kids/sleep/etc.
    Might start of on the boot lid first, as it probably has the least amount of scratches(or so you would think).

ianobrien wrote: »

Loads of words, mostly random in nature....

We'll, I'm making progress. I got one coat of CarPro Reload on half the machine last night!

I gave it a light claying with DnD medium clay and/or CarPro clay cloth (I can't think of the name) with CarPro Immolube. It was wiped down with CarPro Eraser. That was one night. Then the Reload was applied. I've got a small list of jobs left on it (finish the Reload, glass, windows, etc).

Next on the hit list is another motorhome but there's a small problem. It's a fraction (1metre) too long to fit into the Garage and I'm almost out of Reload.

@FN, I may call Saturday Morning for an alternative to the Reload. That van also has some sun bleached plastics I want to bring back. Months in the Spanish Sun doesn't help.

• Advertisement

476651.jpg

One side almost done except for waxing but I'm delighted as I put the job on the long finger for so long! A job made so easy thanks to fantastic products from D&D Detailing in Cork..

Advertisement