Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunstroke 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

FNM chose to play Olympia as they liked the venue, they could have played Point and sold that out too. In my 20 years of going to gigs in Dublin, the scarcity of FNM tickets on the secondary market was something I've never seen before or since.

Exactly. Bit ridiculous to suggest they're only playing venues of that size because that's the only audience they can command. No, that's by their own choice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The line up is grand but most of those acts are playing elsewhere this summer, and what's padding it out smacks more of easy bookings than adventurous ones.

Day for day it's practically the same price as Download. Which objectively has way more going on and is next to an airport.

Not sure much Europeans travel to that either though. People on the continent tend to have world class festivals in their own backyards. Can't see anyone in the near future thinking they'd rather bin Wacken or Hellfest to go to Punchestown.

The festival in itself is adventurous bit unfair to suggest the bookings aren't either when the vast majority of the bill has in fact not once appeared at any festival here ever!

Comparing price to a well established festival elsewhere is slightly disproponate for a number of reasons.

Hellfest and Wacken were actually sold out before Sunstroke was even announced anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

The festival in itself is adventurous bit unfair to suggest the bookings aren't either when the vast majority of the bill has in fact not once appeared at any festival here ever!

Comparing price to a well established festival elsewhere is slightly disproponate for a number of reasons.

Hellfest and Wacken were actually sold out before Sunstroke was even announced anyway. :)

Im moreso hoping it slots in alongside sweden rock/bloodstock/copenhell smaller size of 20-30k sweden rock in particular get great lineups nearly every year and its hardly a cheep country to visit so Ireland wouldn't be any less attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

The points on the line up and cost were direct responses to the idea that this could be positioned as a destination for overseas festival folk, so there's nothing unfair or disproportionate in it really. We're talking about its competitiveness with similar sized festivals around Europe, which will be a tough sell but who knows. On Irish terms it's a great start to what will hopefully become a robust yearly fixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Ozzy , Reznor and Beastie boys have cancelled festival appearances..

Remember guys .. these performers will want to play the gigs no matter the cost... bwwhahahahahaha!!!!

Its only a matter of time before the first act pulls out.. But blame it all on me if it makes you feel better. ..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Burty330 wrote: »

Remember guys .. these performers will want to play the gigs no matter the cost... bwwhahahahahaha!!!!

Its only a matter of time before the first act pulls out.. But blame it all on me if it makes you feel better. ..

Id say one of the reasons they have cancelled is because its less than 2 weeks to go.

Im not ruling out the chances of the festival being cancelled but its too early to call. Tbh it sounds like your hoping the festival gets cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Id say one of the reasons they have cancelled is because its less than 2 weeks to go.

Im not ruling out the chances of the festival being cancelled but its too early to call. Tbh it sounds like your hoping the festival gets cancelled
    Well he obviously is. His only concern with the virus seems to be that Sunstroke festival gets cancelled. Why this one specific festival is beyond me though. Maybe his missus ran off with one of the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

What a bitter post

Seems you just want this to be cancelled.

Also Ozzy has a lot more problems then covid. You know like the 3 postponements and the cancellation he had

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

You're not telling the full story are you...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

You seem like the kind of fella who waits outside his son's school to get in a fight with the other kid's dad.

'At all costs' is a figure of speech relative to the context it's being used in, by the way. Anyone with a bit of linguistic imagination can gleam that. I don't expect to be honoring my Nick Cave tickets in a few weeks if his brain falls out of his arse.

It remains comfortably likely summer gigs will still go ahead.

• Advertisement

They weren't gigs. They were going to be there to talk about films. That doesn't suit your narrative though.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    They weren't gigs. They were going to be there to talk about films. That doesn't suit your narrative though.

I know you are immensely triggered by what i post but you should really put more thought into what you say cos im going to make a fool of now!!

Firstly , my only narrative is reality and common sense!!

Secondly , sxsw IS a festival.. I never said they were playing any "gigs".. I specifically said festival appearances

Thirdly , that whole festival is now cancelled. ALL of it. Done. Finito!

It doesn't take a genius to forecast cancellations of mass gatherings , but I guess you didn't name yourself PenFailed for nothin..lol!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Listening to some deftones, really enjoy their last album. They've a great ol back catalogue.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Listening to some deftones, really enjoy their last album. They've a great ol back catalogue.

Gone through Mastodons and Gojiras discography repeatedly the last few weeks. Hyped for them

I know you are immensely triggered by what i post but you should really put more thought into what you say cos im going to make a fool of now!!

Secondly , sxsw IS a festival.. I never said they were playing any "gigs".. I specifically said festival appearances

It doesn't take a genius to forecast cancellations of mass gatherings , but I guess you didn't name yourself PenFailed for nothin..lol!!!!

You're a sad individual. You have only triggered yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 21,149 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

hetuzozaho wrote: »

Everyone will always mention Around the Fur and White Pony as they're classics, but Diamond Eyes, Koi Ni Yokan and Gore are brilliant albums.

I was waiting for this post. Disappointed that it took so long. There's only one fool here...and it's not me. The festival was cancelled but the bands didn't pull out. It was out of their control.

I was wondering if 'triggered' or 'snowflake' was going to get dropped first. Irish lads bizarre adoption of overused, unimaginative, standard issue alt right American terminology might be the most woeful thing to happen to this gaf since the famine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

the irony seems to be lost on them that they're constantly the ones "triggered", or outraged about something, or giving out about the so called "snowflakes". maybe they should look in the mirror once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Ah lads, just ignore it.

Here's some Deftones with Jerry Cantrell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Poor old Burty's had a nightmare there. Bless.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Back on topic......

Why would you delete my posts but not the others? Give me an answer

For clarification - a mod has protected those who initiated personal attacks at me by deleting my responses as it was clear as day i embarrassed every one of them.

The false accusations directed at me still remain. . My defense - deleted.

Mr.S clearly thinks group pile on's are acceptable and the person subjected to them shouldn't be allowed to retaliate. That right there is a man of no integrity..

For clarification - a mod has protected those who initiated personal attacks at me by deleting my responses as it was clear as day i embarrassed every one of them.

The false accusations directed at me still remain. . My defense - deleted.

Mr.S clearly thinks group pile on's are acceptable and the person subjected to them shouldn't be allowed to retaliate. That right there is a man of no integrity..

I can still see all the posts. No embarrassment here. That's as clear as day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Mushy wrote: »
    Everyone will always mention Around the Fur and White Pony as they're classics, but Diamond Eyes, Koi Ni Yokan and Gore are brilliant albums.

Koi No Yokan might be their most consistent album. Every song is immense.
    I'm not overly sold on Gore, though. The opener is absolutely gorgeous, but I find the rest of the album quite difficult to get into. Would probably be my least favourite overall.

Anyone selling a weekend ticket need one badly as may have forgot to keep a promise. Help me out

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Burty stop being a miserable ****e in every thread you post in. Didnt realise this had sold out GA this soon. Had thought I'd pick up a ticket closer to the day.
    Hopefully I'll still make it. Here's something for us all to enjoy. Except Burty of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Koi No Yokan might be their most consistent album. Every song is immense.
    I'm not overly sold on Gore, though. The opener is absolutely gorgeous, but I find the rest of the album quite difficult to get into. Would probably be my least favourite overall.

I share the same opinion as yerself there Koi No Yokan such a cracking record Gore has some redeemable qualities for sure but would probably rank it bottom myself.

Has Gore replaced Saturday Night Wrist in terms of in general Saturday Night Wrist always seemed to be their album of question when it comes to their back catalogue, but I absolutely loved that!

The Liverpool band Loathe appearing on the same day draw massively from Deftones at least going by the two songs I heard from their latest release, potentially could be a decent watch but admittedly need to investigate further.

• Advertisement

I only have Adrenaline, Around The Fur, White Pony and Diamond Eyes in my Deftones collection. If I were to add another, what would you lot choose?

Advertisement