Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Remember hearing a story about Cody when Cats were playing Cork at time of trouble at mill.

Apparently, he told them to "treat this as an All Ireland final" and they hammered the bejesus out of them!

Think GPA had tried to get Kilkenny players involved in some piss ant protest around that time which involved not pulling up their socks or something.

Perhaps Realt Dearg knows more about that.

Anyway no love lost, as they say.
    You pretty much have it right. As the lads were saying, Andy Comerford he regarded as an ally in GPA thing, and I believe he had time for Eddie Brennan as well, although I think Eddie was among those giving out about his performance yesterday.

That whole thing was the basis of his stepford wives comment about kk. That and his increasing frustration that the supposedly most professional team ever created with their new and sophisticated running based game plan was beaten by our lads in 2006 with no expectations going in, putting an end to what had looked like an unstoppable Juggernaut before that day.

He's not wrong about everything, it's just amazing how obviously that all still dominates his whole worldview. Shame really, he's a great ambassador for the game when he gets the chip off the shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

C__MC wrote: »
    Cusack was hurt by the 2009 league defeat
    Cork were back from another strike and kk hammered them up in nowlan park. Cusack referenced kilkenny as trampling cork into the ground like dirt on that defeat.
    There is no doubt 2006 hurt Cusack. In many peoples eyes from 2004-2006 prior to the final Corks running game and tactical use of puck outs revitalized hurling. Cork were set up to dominate off this along with a professional set up that no other county could match.
    So for kk to come back and beat cork pretty much through hard work and graft, it hurt. Kk emulated cork in 2009 by winning 4 on the spin as well. They hammered cork in 08 and 10. Cusack and cork had the hurling world at their grasp prior to 06 but cody tore it up.
    It hurt donal og and it still does.
    This was posted while I was typing, and says the same thing better than I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Speaking of refs, that reffing in the Tipp/Wex match was dodgy as hell. Clearly KK would have preferred a Wex final, I wonder was there someone from the KK board in his ear to give the close calls against Tipp, as it turns out Tipp won well even with 14 men but still somehow scraped over the line

All the same, I couldn't have any of this conspiracy theory nonsense. No way Cleere was refereeing with an agenda to do Tipp

I don't suppose you have a date? Or a link?

https://youtu.be/8Uo8uILgt_k

The GPA discussion starts around the eight minute mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

All the same, I couldn't have any of this conspiracy theory nonsense. No way Cleere was refereeing with an agenda to do Tipp

I'm not into conspiracy theories either but there is a big rivalry between KK/Tipp, even hatred in some quarters. To have a KK ref Tipp when KK are waiting in the final was just poor judgement to me. I dont know Cleere or how partisan a KK man he might be but there is such a thing also a subconscious bias where a person favours one outcome over another without necessarily intending it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,277 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Donal Og was strongly linked with Cork job in recent weeks (team who were favourites against Kilkenny) but someone on OTB said tonight that he might actually have talked himself out of that role.

Seemingly discussions were going well until Donal Og demanded that he wouldnt take the job unless the English Market in Cork was closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Seemingly discussions were going well until Donal Og demanded that he wouldnt take the job unless the English Market in Cork was closed down.

Its a ridiclous thing to have to listen on national TV. He should be stood down actually. If an English soccer pundit expressed such sentiments about Ireland he'd be sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭tibruit

C__MC wrote: »
    Cusack was hurt by the 2009 league defeat
    Cork were back from another strike and kk hammered them up in nowlan park. Cusack referenced kilkenny as trampling cork into the ground like dirt on that defeat.
    There is no doubt 2006 hurt Cusack. In many peoples eyes from 2004-2006 prior to the final Corks running game and tactical use of puck outs revitalized hurling. Cork were set up to dominate off this along with a professional set up that no other county could match.
    So for kk to come back and beat cork pretty much through hard work and graft, it hurt. Kk emulated cork in 2009 by winning 4 on the spin as well. They hammered cork in 08 and 10. Cusack and cork had the hurling world at their grasp prior to 06 but cody tore it up.
    It hurt donal og and it still does.

Yeah..all kinds of stories doing the rounds at the time about Cork players having agents and some of the big names from Waterford too. The Kilkenny guys were doing the polar opposite. I heard a number of different accounts from Wexford about Kilkenny players turning up at club functions and underage medal presentations and refusing to take money for their time at the end of the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭I says

tibruit wrote: »
    Yeah..all kinds of stories doing the rounds at the time about Cork players having agents and some of the big names from Waterford too. The Kilkenny guys were doing the polar opposite. I heard a number of different accounts from Wexford about Kilkenny players turning up at club functions and underage medal presentations and refusing to take money for their time at the end of the night.
    Yes I agree totally we got Cody to hand out medals(end of year for u12s up) and at end of night when we went to pay him for his time, he refused point blank and he said to put his fee back into the club instead.
    I’ve always thought since then, just give us some time in coaching instead would help.
    Love him or hate him he’s a winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Seadin

For a guy that won sfa with Waterford, McGrath goes on as if he was some sort of expert in the game of hurling. Himself and cusack were horrendous the last night on the TSG. Des cahill has a role to blame here too. He should have shut them town when they went off on rants and tangents. He is so bad as his job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

On Cusack's rant, he brings up Jack Charlton's long ball game as an example of teams without tactical innovation, when in fact the long ball game was developed as a novel tactic to use against a possesion based team, hitting the forwards early and winning the breaking ball in a dangerous position.

John Bull was mentioned
    Donal Og Bull

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Speaking of refs, that reffing in the Tipp/Wex match was dodgy as hell. Clearly KK would have preferred a Wex final, I wonder was there someone from the KK board in his ear to give the close calls against Tipp
    I'm not into conspiracy theories either but... I dont know Cleere or how partisan a KK man he might be but there is such a thing also a subconscious bias where a person favours one outcome over another without necessarily intending it.

That's some climbdown only twenty minutes after the most stupid post of the thread

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Sean Cleere was appointed by the Referee's Board which is chaired by Tipperary man Willie Barrett. If Barrett had any fear of Cleere being biased he would have hardly appointed him in the first place.

Limerick supporters near me on Saturday were quite content with Kelly until near the end. Had he awarded Kilkenny a dubious penalty I imagine their attitude would be different. How Kelly missed Lawlor's hurl been held is bewildering. And even more bewildering is how he and his two linesmen missed Gillane striking the ball inside the 20m line from the penalty. The same linesman being ridiculed for missing the apparent deflection by Buckley also missed the ball going off a Limerick player and incorrectly awarding the lineball to Limerick.

I'm glad so many are up in arms over officials. It's not just this weekend gone that their performances were questionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Grats wrote: »
    Sean Cleere was appointed by the Referee's Board which is chaired by Tipperary man Willie Barrett. If Barrett had any fear of Cleere being biased he would have hardly appointed him in the first place.

Limerick supporters near me on Saturday were quite content with Kelly until near the end. Had he awarded Kilkenny a dubious penalty I imagine their attitude would be different. How Kelly missed Lawlor's hurl been held is bewildering. And even more bewildering is how he and his two linesmen missed Gillane striking the ball inside the 20m line from the penalty. The same linesman being ridiculed for missing the apparent deflection by Buckley also missed the ball going off a Limerick player and incorrectly awarding the lineball to Limerick.

I'm glad so many are up in arms over officials. It's not just this weekend gone that their performances were questionable.

Or Limericks 14 other wides that they hit in the match!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭letsseehere14

I still have to re-watch the Limerick Kilkenny match. It passed with a blur and id be afraid I took a lot of it up wrong. But I said before the game I was worried about our chances. Every dog in the street could see what Kilkenny were going to bring and everyone knew Cody had timed the run. Hogan and Wally were always going to play this game.
    We knew who was going to play and how they were going to start. Hit us early, hit us hard. After 2 minutes you could see we were in trouble. We caught them up, but Kilkenny to be absolutely fair to them stayed ahead. Deserved their win. The 65 at the end, these things happen, I wasnt even sure it was our line ball first off. Kilkenny deserved their win so I have no bones about it.
    I knew we were definitely in trouble in week before the game. So many people I spoke with were so confident. Ridiculously confident. People think were so far ahead of the rest and I said why? Because of 1 game, the Munster final. Worst thing that could have happened this team was winning so easily. We had a great league, but championship last year where we scraped by a few times, and Cork, Tipp games this year should have been enough for most people to keep their feet on the ground. When I read Gillane say that the in house matches were as competitive as a championship match I knew we were in trouble. He was either over confident or talking rubbish. Either way how anyone can say an in house match was as intense or tough as Kilkenny were in that semi final or the qf against Cork is beyond me. When we all know whats required at this stage of the year. We played 6, won 3 lost 3. Lost to Tipp, Cork and Kilkenny. Cant have any complaints.
    Lots of lessons learnt this year to be fair and a league & Munster double is a great return. Pressure will be on next year. I think Cody is probably 1 year early with his bunch but they have a great chance if another AI.

On the other semi final, what an epic and all the talking points. TSG was a disgrace, poor Cummins stick in between those two waxing lyrical about absolutely nothing. For all the talk about Tipp being old and slow, only 1 side was full of running in the last 20. And you cant beat experience. Wexford brought their game plan, but this was played at such a tempo they couldnt keep it up. People said Wexford lost their way, stopped playing their way, but I think that last 20 they were dead on their feet. It was involuntary. They were bet. Tipp deserved their win.
    On the incidents:
    McGraths red, he hit the hurley not the player, definite yellow, 2 yellows off, no complaints there other than the first yellow was soft. First disallowed goal, Breen I think, goal all day, no free out. Morris goal, goal all day. Square ball goal was borderline, id give it the benefit of the doubt, Morning Ireland played a bit of Eddie Brennan and Brian Carroll, both call square ball immediately. Penalty call, think he went down easily, have seen them given, have seen them not given, balances out with the square ball call maybe. The dig was a definite second yellow, probably even a red, Tipp very lucky there.
    Inconsistency with the high tackles, Noel McGrath got a yellow, two Wexford tackles got away with it. Paudie Maher steps, 1 definite was the other wasnt and that was at a crucial stage for Wexford to get a free in. Few other instances of steps not called, think the ref made a point to ping Maher with it twice but the fact he left others go made it look biased.
    The biggest incident for me was the hawk-eye disallowed goal. 1. I did not think hawkeye was for goal line or end line calls or what ever you might call it, just trajectory. Can it tell if a ball has just crossed the endline 'plane'? I didnt think so and I think the GAA need to clarify that. All its graphics on the big screen show is trajectory also which adds to the confusion. 2. I didnt think looking at replays or pictures that it had crossed the line. Those are my issues with the call. Mainly it didnt look like it had crossed the line, so thats in my mind 3 disallowed goals for Tipp that should have stood.
    The ref was poor. Unfortunately for him he was much worse for 1 county than the other and that has amplified it. Tipp deserved the win. Wexford need a deeper squad, Tipp were able to bring in lads into the 15 then call on 5 more subs and all made an impact. I have it that Wexford started 18 and used 23 players this championship, way less than the other 3 semifinalists, Tipp I think its 21 starters, 26 used. If Davy goes, after the effort Wexford put in the last 3 years, it could all deflate very quickly. Their next manager is a very important appointment. Please dont pick Derek McGrath or Donal Og!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

I still have to re-watch the Limerick Kilkenny match. It passed with a blur and id be afraid I took a lot of it up wrong. But I said before the game I was worried about our chances. Every dog in the street could see what Kilkenny were going to bring and everyone knew Cody had timed the run. Hogan and Wally were always going to play this game.
    We knew who was going to play and how they were going to start. Hit us early, hit us hard. After 2 minutes you could see we were in trouble. We caught them up, but Kilkenny to be absolutely fair to them stayed ahead. Deserved their win. The 65 at the end, these things happen, I wasnt even sure it was our line ball first off. Kilkenny deserved their win so I have no bones about it.
    I knew we were definitely in trouble in week before the game. So many people I spoke with were so confident. Ridiculously confident. People think were so far ahead of the rest and I said why? Because of 1 game, the Munster final. Worst thing that could have happened this team was winning so easily. We had a great league, but championship last year where we scraped by a few times, and Cork, Tipp games this year should have been enough for most people to keep their feet on the ground. When I read Gillane say that the in house matches were as competitive as a championship match I knew we were in trouble. He was either over confident or talking rubbish. Either way how anyone can say an in house match was as intense or tough as Kilkenny were in that semi final or the qf against Cork is beyond me. When we all know whats required at this stage of the year. We played 6, won 3 lost 3. Lost to Tipp, Cork and Kilkenny. Cant have any complaints.
    Lots of lessons learnt this year to be fair and a league & Munster double is a great return. Pressure will be on next year. I think Cody is probably 1 year early with his bunch but they have a great chance if another AI.

On the other semi final, what an epic and all the talking points. TSG was a disgrace, poor Cummins stick in between those two waxing lyrical about absolutely nothing. For all the talk about Tipp being old and slow, only 1 side was full of running in the last 20. And you cant beat experience. Wexford brought their game plan, but this was played at such a tempo they couldnt keep it up. People said Wexford lost their way, stopped playing their way, but I think that last 20 they were dead on their feet. It was involuntary. They were bet. Tipp deserved their win.
    On the incidents:
    McGraths red, he hit the hurley not the player, definite yellow, 2 yellows off, no complaints there other than the first yellow was soft. First disallowed goal, Breen I think, goal all day, no free out. Morris goal, goal all day. Square ball goal was borderline, id give it the benefit of the doubt, Morning Ireland played a bit of Eddie Brennan and Brian Carroll, both call square ball immediately. Penalty call, think he went down easily, have seen them given, have seen them not given, balances out with the square ball call maybe. The dig was a definite second yellow, probably even a red, Tipp very lucky there.
    Inconsistency with the high tackles, Noel McGrath got a yellow, two Wexford tackles got away with it. Paudie Maher steps, 1 definite was the other wasnt and that was at a crucial stage for Wexford to get a free in. Few other instances of steps not called, think the ref made a point to ping Maher with it twice but the fact he left others go made it look biased.
    The biggest incident for me was the hawk-eye disallowed goal. 1. I did not think hawkeye was for goal line or end line calls or what ever you might call it, just trajectory. Can it tell if a ball has just crossed the endline 'plane'? I didnt think so and I think the GAA need to clarify that. All its graphics on the big screen show is trajectory also which adds to the confusion. 2. I didnt think looking at replays or pictures that it had crossed the line. Those are my issues with the call. Mainly it didnt look like it had crossed the line, so thats in my mind 3 disallowed goals for Tipp that should have stood.
    The ref was poor. Unfortunately for him he was much worse for 1 county than the other and that has amplified it. Tipp deserved the win. Wexford need a deeper squad, Tipp were able to bring in lads into the 15 then call on 5 more subs and all made an impact. I have it that Wexford started 18 and used 23 players this championship, way less than the other 3 semifinalists, Tipp I think its 21 starters, 26 used. If Davy goes, after the effort Wexford put in the last 3 years, it could all deflate very quickly. Their next manager is a very important appointment. Please dont pick Derek McGrath or Donal Og!

Good analysis here.. You should be on the Sunday game. Hard to believe they didn't analyse the goals much and raise the points about hawkeye. Can it detect if the ball crossed the crossbar as the graphic showed the tragetory of the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

On the incidents:

I'd be very surprised if cleere ever gets ref tipp in big game again, the free near the end against maher with 3 lads hanging off him was as Cody would say was criminal and reeked of bias, daithi Regan seems to be only man that heard sean cleere blow whistle before morris goal, all pundits on gas hour agreed 3 tipp goals should gave stood and 2 said Wexford had square ball but that was hard to call in fairness. If you look at replay cleere didn't see heffenans punch also. Cleere seems to want to be involved in every thing, even Donal o Grady said he could have ignored Hawkeye as play had went on too far but again chose to ride tipp.

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if cleere ever gets ref tipp in big game again, the free near the end against maher with 3 lads hanging off him was as Cody would say was criminal and reeked of bias, daithi Regan seems to be only man that heard sean cleere blow whistle before morris goal, all pundits on gas hour agreed 3 tipp goals should gave stood and 2 said Wexford had square ball but that was hard to call in fairness. If you look at replay cleere didn't see heffenans punch also. Cleere seems to want to be involved in every thing, even Donal o Grady said he could have ignored Hawkeye as play had went on too far but again chose to ride tipp.

Even Donal O'Grady...

You can't be serious ?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭raindodger

Good point there about the use of hawk eye.
    cant see us going down the route of v.a.r. as i think we would lack the patience.
    also the second paudie maher free he had lost the hurley but also it may have been due to all the previous comments about his barging

• Advertisement

Even Donal O'Grady...

You can't be serious ?

His point is valid whether you lime him or not, cleere did not have to acknowledge Hawkeye, its at the refs discretion, if that's all you disagree with from my post then great we agree on the rest.

raindodger wrote: »
    cant see us going down the route of v.a.r. as i think we would lack the patience.
    also the second paudie maher free he had lost the hurley but also it may have been due to all the previous comments about his barging

No its not barging, chin barged with his head down and got a free in, Colin fennelly took 12 steps according to lads on the gAA hour, that's what you call barging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

His point is valid whether you lime him or not, cleere did not have to acknowledge Hawkeye, its at the refs discretion, if that's all you disagree with from my post then great we agree on the rest.

A lot of the conversation on radio yesterday was how the referees need more technology to be used.

You can imagine the furore if it emerged a ref ignored Hawkeye instructing him it was a point.

Even camera angles didn't prove Hawkeye was wrong.

A lot of the conversation on radio yesterday was how the referees need more technology to be used.

You can imagine the furore if it emerged a ref ignored Hawkeye instructing him it was a point.

Even camera angles didn't prove Hawkeye was wrong.

Even camera angles didn't prove it was a point so you can't give it, cleere had the choice to ignore but didn't, not a hope it would have been mentioned had he ignored because nobody thought it was a point, how can Hawkeye distinguish between sliotar and knuckles of hogan? Hawkeye should not have intervened and cleere should have ignored it.

Even camera angles didn't prove it was a point so you can't give it, cleere had the choice to ignore but didn't, not a hope it would have been mentioned had he ignored because nobody thought it was a point, how can Hawkeye distinguish between sliotar and knuckles of hogan? Hawkeye should not have intervened and cleere should have ignored it.

Cleere wasnt to know the particulars of the Hawkeye decision only that it determined it was a point.

I'm not disagreeing with his point, I'm just amused that you think he's the last word on the matter.

What I actually disagree with is the rest your post, which is just persecution complex stuff.

• Advertisement

Cleere wasnt to know the particulars of the Hawkeye decision only that it determined it was a point.

He could have ignored it as play had gone on with a free and a goal in the meantime, it was his discretion. But he chose no another chance to be centre of attention. And to ride tipp.

I'm not disagreeing with his point, I'm just amused that you think he's the last word on the matter.

What I actually disagree with is the rest your post, which is just persecution complex stuff.

Where did I say he was the last word on the matter? Well most intercounty hurlers I have heard since have the same perception as me, even known tipp hater Eddie Brennan was saying in Twitter the ref had lost the plot and had voiced concerns pre game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

The biggest incident for me was the hawk-eye disallowed goal. 1. I did not think hawkeye was for goal line or end line calls or what ever you might call it, just trajectory. Can it tell if a ball has just crossed the endline 'plane'? I didnt think so and I think the GAA need to clarify that. All its graphics on the big screen show is trajectory also which adds to the confusion. 2. I didnt think looking at replays or pictures that it had crossed the line. Those are my issues with the call. Mainly it didnt look like it had crossed the line,

From the Hawkeye webpage:

"Hawk-Eye has developed an innovative ball tracking system for the sport of hurling. The Point Detection System is a camera based system that assists officials when awarding points scored between the posts, via an audio signal relayed to the referee within seconds of the sliotar crossing the line. Hawk-Eye provides real-time imagery on the stadium's big screen of a ball's trajectory over the posts to remove any ambiguity over whether a point was scored or missed"

Reads like it can detect once the ball has crossed the line even though that's not it's main purpose and I don't know if it were to cross the line into the goal could it detect this. I assume the ref would know it this if he called back play and awarded the point. Tipp goal should have stood though after the ball was cleared, a free awarded and a goal scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

There was a camera in the Hill 16 goal, surely it would have a pretty good view of the Hogan catch.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    From the Hawkeye webpage:

"Hawk-Eye has developed an innovative ball tracking system for the sport of hurling. The Point Detection System is a camera based system that assists officials when awarding points scored between the posts, via an audio signal relayed to the referee within seconds of the sliotar crossing the line. Hawk-Eye provides real-time imagery on the stadium's big screen of a ball's trajectory over the posts to remove any ambiguity over whether a point was scored or missed"

Reads like it can detect once the ball has crossed the line even though that's not it's main purpose and I don't know if it were to cross the line into the goal could it detect this. I assume the ref would know it this if he called back play and awarded it. Tipp goal should have stood though after the ball was cleared, a free awarded and a goal scored.

Reads to me like it tracks ball trajectory so therefore where the ball is travelling not where it has travelled. I'd like clarification on this, nobody's sure.

• Advertisement

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    There was a camera in the Hill 16 goal, surely it would have a pretty good view of the Hogan catch.

If it wasn't a point do you really think they will come out and show it now? GAA trying to bury cleeres performance.

I've done a little more reading on this, because it came to my mind about the 2013 minor semi-final between Limerick and Galway.

Part of Limerick's case at the subsequent hearing was as follows...
    It argues that once the Hawkeye system had been utilised and a direction given or a decision made, that the referee was thereafter bound to accept that direction or decision.

Now, of course Galway saw it their own way...
    The Respondents further argue that at all times the referee remained the
    ultimate arbiter of fact in relation to matters which arose during the course of
    the game. The Respondents refer to Riall 1.1 of Part 2 of the Official Guide. It
    is argued that nothing in the protocol governing the use of the Hawkeye
    technology usurped that function and that the decision to award or not to
    award the score remained at all times with the referee.

The only reference to Hawkeye in the findings of the tribunal are...
    It is unclear from this e-mail whether Mr Horgan believed he had power/discretion to overrule Hawkeye/Review Official.

So that ambiguity was certainly there in 2013, and I think it'd be beneficial to hear from you the factual basis for Donal O'Grady's subsequent certainty ?

I've done a little more reading on this, because it came to my mind about the 2013 minor semi-final between Limerick and Galway.

Part of Limerick's case at the subsequent hearing was as follows...

Now, of course Galway saw it their own way...

The only reference to Hawkeye in the findings of the tribunal are...

So that ambiguity was certainly there in 2013, and I think it'd be beneficial to hear from you the factual basis for Donal O'Grady's subsequent certainty ?

So that proves what, it doesn't say whether ref has discretion or not, how can I provide factual basis for Donal o Grady, I merely posted what he said, how am I meant to know where he got his info. So are you saying he was wrong and ref doesn't have discretion to ignore Hawkeye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He could have ignored it as play had gone on with a free and a goal in the meantime, it was his discretion. But he chose no another chance to be centre of attention. And to ride tipp.

He was told it was a score on the last play. At that point he had little choice but to call back play and allow the score and restart play with a puck out.

Imagine it came out afterwards that he was told it was a score and he ignored it and allowed play go on. There would be war.

Reads to me like it tracks ball trajectory so therefore where the ball is travelling not where it has travelled. I'd like clarification on this, nobody's sure.

Surely it can only know where the ball is going if it knows where it's coming from?

It was less than the accepted time for HE to return a result.

If a ref ignored Hawkeye to allow q goal for opposing teams, there'd be uproar.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

I'm going to throw in my 2 cent here.
    Really enjoy the games at the weekend from a natural point of view. 160 (minors as well) Players putting their body on the line for even ball.
    Really Championship hurling.

The Officials was the only thing that let the game down. Both Minor and Senior. To list out the mistake would take 10 pages.

Now the Idea that Sean Cleere would give Wexford calls is crazy and comes from a people that haven't seen Cleere referee before.
    Sean is incapable of think that far ahead to do something like this.
    The Other Referee are trying to be consonant, While still letting the game flow. Which lead to them walking a line that is impossible.
    Cleere is different. It's like he has short term memory loss and he forget the rules apply to both sides from play to play. Cleere is so inconsonant with his calls it drive me crazy.

The thing around Ref missing the ball coming off the Kilkenny player at the end and the square ball. They don't annoy me that much. Mainly cause there mistakes. They shouldn't happen but they do.
    All I want from Referees is to be consonant in his calls. I don't want perfection.

Looking forward to the Final. I had a feeling that Kilkenny would win all year but with Richie Hogan so far off the pace, I'm begining to turn. I'm going for Tipp in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭golfball37

raindodger wrote: »

It’s only a free if you drop hurley deliberately. I don’t like Maher and his antics contributed to his targeting but that was an outrageous free against him in the last minute.

He was told it was a score on the last play. At that point he had little choice but to call back play and allow the score and restart play with a puck out.

Imagine it came out afterwards that he was told it was a score and he ignored it and allowed play go on. There would be war.

How long do you let the game run for though until you bring it back?
    Just for arguments sake had it taken two minutes to get confirmation of the point could you still bring play back then and award the point and a puck out?

Where did I say he was the last word on the matter? Well most intercounty hurlers I have heard since have the same perception as me, even known tipp hater Eddie Brennan was saying in Twitter the ref had lost the plot and had voiced concerns pre game.

:D

Love conquers all though, eh ?

• Advertisement

I'm going to throw in my 2 cent here.
    Really enjoy the games at the weekend from a natural point of view. 160 (minors as well) Players putting their body on the line for even ball.
    Really Championship hurling.

The Officials was the only thing that let the game down. Both Minor and Senior. To list out the mistake would take 10 pages.

Now the Idea that Sean Cleere would give Wexford calls is crazy and comes from a people that haven't seen Cleere referee before.
    Sean is incapable of think that far ahead to do something like this.
    The Other Referee are trying to be consonant, While still letting the game flow. Which lead to them walking a line that is impossible.
    Cleere is different. It's like he has short term memory loss and he forget the rules apply to both sides from play to play. Cleere is so inconsonant with his calls it drive me crazy.

The thing around Ref missing the ball coming off the Kilkenny player at the end and the square ball. They don't annoy me that much. Mainly cause there mistakes. They shouldn't happen but they do.
    All I want from Referees is to be consonant in his calls. I don't want perfection.

Looking forward to the Final. I had a feeling that Kilkenny would win all year but with Richie Hogan so far off the pace, I'm begining to turn. I'm going for Tipp in the final.

You're very consonant in your use of consonant anyway!

Surely it can only know where the ball is going if it knows where it's coming from?

Cameras either side of the goal so yes you can see where its coming from but I don't think it takes into account a goalie jumping high to catch the sliotar, needs to be looked at or clarified.

I would love to know how many people here, some of whom are actually character-assassinating match officials, have ever put their hands up to volunteer for this ever-thankless task.

Why would anyone put themselves through it ?

:D

Love conquers all though, eh ?

Nah not in my world, if you deny he dislikes tipp its all the matter.

Cameras either side of the goal so yes you can see where its coming from but I don't think it takes into account a goalie jumping high to catch the sliotar, needs to be looked at or clarified.

Hawkeye says that once the ball crosses the line it alerts the ref so apart from the trajectory of being in or outside the post it also has a a way of detecting once the ball is past the cross bar.

Hawkeye says that once the ball crosses the line it alerts the ref so apart from the trajectory of being in or outside the post it also has a a way of detecting once the ball is past the cross bar.

Yeah I seen that but think thats just poorly worded, would hogans hand be considered a point if he puts his hand behind crossbar?

Nah not in my world, if you deny he dislikes tipp its all the matter.

I was referring to the fact that he is married to a lady from Portroe.

:confused:

I was referring to the fact that he is married to a lady from Portroe.

:confused:

Oh sorry I knew he was but missed your point in a haze of anger ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

As I posted earlier, Sean Cleere was appointed by the referee's committee, chaired by Tipperary man Willie Barrett. He clearly had no issue with potential bias. However. Cleere shoukd never have been put in the awkward position.

It's amusing how much is being focused on his mistakes when Alan Kelly and his officials made mistakes too. Very few want to acknowledge Gillane holding onto Lawlor's hurl in the penalty incident and Gillane crossing the line before striking the ball. Technology wasn't the issue there, but either incompetence by the officials or bias. Likewise with the last line ball incorrectly awarded to Limerick.

Mr Cusack even "missed" those obvious incidents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Cleere was right to bring the game back and give the point. He had no option. He was told by the Hawkeye officials it was a point. He was in no position to disregard that information.

It did look like Hawkeye was employed incorrectly. It tracks the trajectory and not final position of the ball. The goalkeepers hand is a factor that could not be factored in. The actual footage certainly looked like it was grabbed above the bar with maybe a hint of knuckle in line with the bar but very little of his hand behind and certainly not all of the ball. A freak situation but perhaps one that needs to be looked at in a bit more detail.

Advertisement