Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

phog wrote: »
    I actually like the jerseys but they're just way too similar to be released for two different clubs clubs with huge rivalry

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

110 lids too for the priviledge and its only in players fit. Adidas clearly care about what the fans want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

While delighted for Ronan O'Gara in his new head coach role at La Rochelle, one must feel that this is a huge missed opportunity for Munster rugby to accommodate ROG in this new coaching ticket that's been assembled in the Southern province.

I would have loved to have seen Munster replace JVG with Ronan as head coach. However for now, the powers that be in Munster rugby feel that JVG is a safer bet than the Munster legend. Time will tell but to me that calculation could be a huge mistake going forward. Hopefully ROG will return to coaching in Ireland at some stage.

Meanwhile any word on the latest regarding the new Munster rugby coaching ticket for next season? Are we still on course for JVG, Rowntree, Larkham and Ferriera come the opening matches in the Pro14 in late September of this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Let him cut his teeth as head coach elsewhere first. I'm sure he's in Munster's future plans and I'd imagine Munster are in his future plans. But only when the time is right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

While delighted for Ronan O'Gara in his new head coach role at La Rochelle, one must feel that this is a huge missed opportunity for Munster rugby to accommodate ROG in this new coaching ticket that's been assembled in the Southern province.

I would have loved to have seen Munster replace JVG with Ronan as head coach. However for now, the powers that be in Munster rugby feel that JVG is a safer bet than the Munster legend. Time will tell but to me that calculation could be a huge mistake going forward. Hopefully ROG will return to coaching in Ireland at some stage.

Meanwhile any word on the latest regarding the new Munster rugby coaching ticket for next season? Are we still on course for JVG, Rowntree, Larkham and Ferriera come the opening matches in the Pro14 in late September of this year?

JVG is contracted until 2022. You would just have sacked him?

Also ROG has already said that he currently has no interest in returning to Ireland, so there's been no opportunity lost or mistake made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Dave O'Callaghan's two year contract with Biarritz was confirmed by the club. I hope it works out and he can stay injury free.

James Hart also signed there on a three year deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭phog

Fake News

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Fake News

I'm sorry if posters have taken exception to my post regarding ROG and Munster rugby. I still believe though as regards to JVG that he is not the messiah that Munster need as head coach. Surely some posters can agree on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

At this stage we just need some sort of stability and consistency in a coaching ticket

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

I'm sorry if posters have taken exception to my post regarding ROG and Munster rugby. I still believe though as regards to JVG that he is not the messiah that Munster need as head coach. Surely some posters can agree on that.

4 semis in 2 years

doesn't really get much better than that without actually winning the thing.
    Its stability with room to improve.

Stability and a direction for the future is what we need and changing head coach again would not help that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭PMC83

bennyl10 wrote: »
    4 semis in 2 years

doesn't really get much better than that

It does though- getting to a final. Then winning one. Munsters issue is that last hurdle or two, and thus far JVG isn't showing us anything different in regards as to how they may get past it. Agree stability is important, but if they don't reach a final next year or at least look like they should have, then questions will need to be asked

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

PMC83 wrote: »
    It does though- getting to a final. Then winning one. Munsters issue is that last hurdle or two, and thus far JVG isn't showing us anything different in regards as to how they may get past it. Agree stability is important, but if they don't reach a final next year or at least look like they should have, then questions will need to be asked

conveniently leaving our where I said ‘other than winning it’
    He’s had one full season. One,
    Questions are far from ‘being asked’

We lost to the two best teams in Europe this year. And in the process beat the next beat team in England, and reigning French champions!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Not really. ROG doesnt look like he's anywhere near interested in coming back yet and yes he's done very well coaching so far he has no head coaching role. He will after this. Succeed there and then maybe it would be good to hire him then but not now.
    Dave O'Callaghan's two year contract with Biarritz was confirmed by the club. I hope it works out and he can stay injury free.
    Change of environment could be huge for him. Hope it does work out
    PMC83 wrote: »
    Do they? Maybe its just Munster's level. simply next tier down from the top sides.

We lost to the two best teams in Europe this year. And in the process beat the next beat team in England, and reigning French champions!

The team that beat us in the SF of the Pro14 were equally hammered by the team that hammered us in the SF of the H/Cup

We're probably not playing as good as we should be but we're certainly not as bad as some posters would have you believe.

We've two new coaches due in to the set up and if they can deliver something of an improvement of what Fla and Felix were then we're in a good place.

Munster Branch AGM
    The Munster Branch Annual General Meeting took place at Tralee RFC on Wednesday night with club representatives from around the province in attendance.
    Mike Keane was elected Munster Rugby President with more details here.

The financial accounts for year ending June 30, 2018 showed a cash-flow deficit of €920K which was in line with the figures forecasted at last year’s AGM.

The current financial projections for year ending 30th June 2019 estimate a similar cash-flow deficit of €995K for the season.

In presenting the financial update at tonight’s AGM, Munster Rugby Treasurer, Tom Kinirons, discussed the key points.

While the projected cash-flow deficit remains broadly in line with the prior year, there were some significant variances which required explaining.

Player costs increased due to an increase in the squad size and also due to player wage inflation.

As agreed with the IRFU a number of years ago, the exceptional grant support to Munster from the IRFU decreased slightly on the prior season. Tom was keen to express his thanks to the IRFU for the additional grant funding over the past number of years and their excellent on-going support.

Munster benefited from earning a home Champions Cup quarter-final in the previous two seasons so there was a reduction in income in the current season as we qualified for an away Champions Cup quarter-final.

In a huge positive, gate income increased by 12% in the current season with increases in both our Champions Cup and PRO14 ticket sales.

The Ireland U20s played both of their home 6 Nations games at Irish Independent Park and the fantastic attendances resulted in a further positive to our revenue numbers.

Munster’s Commercial revenue stream continues to exceed expectations with increased income from sponsorship and from Commercial dinners abroad. The newly-laid artificial surface in IIP has been a major success with a 200% uplift in additional revenue generated through six summer concerts and rental of the artificial pitch.

In line with the increased gate income for Champions Cup and PRO14 games, ticket sales increased to over 207,000 tickets (excluding knockouts) throughout the campaign. In total sales, this represents an increase of 2% with actual individual sales growing by approximately 12%. This was due to the impact of 10-Year Ticket sales with an additional 1,500 tickets available to sell for each game.

Attendances grew by 15% this season which was a huge increase, and reiterates the loyalty of our fantastic supporters.

There were seven sell-out fixtures at Irish Independent Park and Thomond Park during the season. All four games at Irish Independent Park sold out for the first time ever with the Ireland v France U20s 6 Nations match in Cork also at capacity. There were two sell-out attendances at Thomond Park with additional seating also installed for both games.

The province has invested in major upgrade works at Irish Independent Park which has enabled the uplift in revenue above. The installation of a modified 3G pitch surface by Tralee-based company PST Sport has proved to be a major success. As mentioned earlier, the Ireland U20s played both of their home 6 Nations games at the venue. There are six concerts taking place in June and the pitch is in constant demand from various teams across multiple sports in the local area. The new artificial pitch has allowed for a significant increase in games played on a consistent basis, assisting the province’s efforts of growing the game at grassroots level.

Additionally, Munster Rugby have been granted planning permission by Cork City Council for the construction of an indoor training facility at Irish Independent Park. See more here.

As part of the province’s continued long-term investment to promote the game among younger supporters, Munster once again allocated 5,000 reduced priced Junior tickets to every Thomond Park game over the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

The team that beat us in the SF of the Pro14 were equally hammered by the team that hammered us in the SF of the H/Cup

We're probably not playing as good as we should be but we're certainly not as bad as some posters would have you believe.

We've two new coaches due in to the set up and if they can deliver something of an improvement of what Fla and Felix were then we're in a good place.

Yeah, Leinster weren't hammered by Saracens.

Neither were Munster to be fair, just beaten well. But it's not right to say those two games are equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

troyzer wrote: »

Neither were Munster to be fair, just beaten well. But it's not right to say those two games are equivalent.

No 2 games are but I thought the reaction to Munsters loss was fairly exaggerated.

Here's an in English breakdown of the AGM form the Examiner. https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/munster-ready-to-balance-books-next-year-930537.html#.XQJKIy5VJ5M.twitter

Some of the main points.
    Munster expect to break even next season.
    They made €5.2m from 10 year ticket sales and gave half to the IRFU to bring down the stadium debt which now stands at €6.8m.
    The U20 6N games will be played in Cork again in 2020 and 2021.

Also from The Examiner
    Munster are also looking to fill a senior coach vacancy, with former Australian backs coach Stephen Larkham and current Wales attack coach Rob Howley heavily linked, while there is also a search ongoing for a skills coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

troyzer wrote: »

You're right about the results not being the same. Munster were more comprehensively beaten than Leinster for sure. Similarly Leinster beat Munster well without it being a disaster.

Munster have gotten to plenty of semi finals in the last number of years with an under performing backline. Similarly the pack have been good while playing a very limited game. There's a very good group of players there and hopefully the new coaches can add a more sophisticated game plan.

My main fear is that if the new coaches try to bring in a new plan there's going to be some teething problems to begin with. Then the fans and the journalists start claiming it's not working. We get lots of talk about "the Munster traditional style" and "the good old days".
    Then they go back to the current style for a few games and grind out some wins and people think everything is fixed.

Good news on the U20s remaining in Cork. That's a nice little earner and recognition of the attendance in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Good news on the U20s remaining in Cork. That's a nice little earner and recognition of the attendance in 2019.

Great news. Hadn't spotted that

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Two scores is a hammering eh. Fair enough so.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Eod100 wrote: »
    No 2 games are but I thought the reaction to Munsters loss was fairly exaggerated.

I imagine the overreaction was more because it seemed like a very familiar defeat. Munster have a spectacular ability to keep in games sometimes but ultimately never really looked like winning. Had that game occurred 2 years ago no one would have cared but they seem to be stuck at that level.

Munster would have won with Hayes. You know it. I know it.

Rowntree and Larkham. Great job by Munster and the IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Rowntree and Larkham. Great job by Munster and the IRFU.
    Good appointments

Wonder where fla and felix will end up?

• Advertisement

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/06/14/stephen-larkham-to-join-munster-rugby/

Confirmed on a three year contract, starting in August.

Advertisement