Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Shannon have Stafford listed as a fullback. Does he play there too or is that an error?
    https://shannonrfc.com/jack-stafford/
    played/plays 10/15 but 9 is probably only position for him at higher levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I am not sure where the Larkham story is coming from. The Limerick Leader hardly a great source of information. I did mention before......

I have talked to Australia fans who live in Australia, their view is no chance Munster are getting him. He is sitting waiting for the Australia job after the World Cup. Cheika is out unless he wins WC.....

He got rid of Larkham but Rugby Australia created a job to keep Larkham on the books always with the vision to take over the Australia job.

Maybe he will move to Munster, but I will reserve judgement till a proper rugby paper in the SH reports it.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I am not sure where the Larkham story is coming from. The Limerick Leader hardly a great source of information. I did mention before......

I have talked to Australia fans who live in Australia, their view is no chance Munster are getting him. He is sitting waiting for the Australia job after the World Cup. Cheika is out unless he wins WC.....

He got rid of Larkham but Rugby Australia created a job to keep Larkham on the books always with the vision to take over the Australia job.

Maybe he will move to Munster, but I will reserve judgement till a proper rugby paper in the SH reports it.

The one really bad outcome would be another job hopper like Erasmus. I felt that did some damage to the club another instance won't help.

Lot's of reasons for Larkham to want to escape Australian rugby though - it's in very poor shape at the moment and he might not want the hotseat whilst it's a bit of a poisoned chalice.

The one really bad outcome would be another job hopper like Erasmus. I felt that did some damage to the club another instance won't help.

Lot's of reasons for Larkham to want to escape Australian rugby though - it's in very poor shape at the moment and he might not want the hotseat whilst it's a bit of a poisoned chalice.

If that was the case why would he hang around in a "job" which was made up?

I am sure he has lots of offers since he left Wallabies and I would expect French/English clubs would have bigger budgets?

No harm to Ireland, but we are not the warmest climate to move from Australia to :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

This is very close to being done, but nothing is signed yet. He's been over with his family to check out Limerick and Clare and for final discussions so i would be surprised if it doesnt happen at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Clegg wrote: »
    Larkham is an interesting appointment. He's one of the greatest players of all time and will have a lot of ideas for Munsters attack. But he wasn't a success as Australia's attack coach despite having all that talent to work with. Although that could have been down to a clash of ideals with Cheika.

It's a gamble that I hope works out.

I thought that the Australian's played some absolutely outstanding rugby in the 2015 Rugby World Cup, where Larkham was attack coach. My first thoughts when they played England four years ago and gave them an lesson, was how innovative the attack was and at the time I felt that if only Ireland could play like that, then they would have gotten much deeper in the '15 WC.

However as you said Clegg, their attack got more blunt post-2015. I don't know why, but maybe opposition teams as the old saying goes "copped on" to their patterns to their play and all that.

It's a gamble indeed. But it would have been a bigger such one if a coach as blunt as Rob Howley came in. I hope it works out. With a likely coaching ticket of JVG, Rowntree, Ferriera and Larkham for next Season, here's hoping for an much improved Munster next season and hopefully some silverware will come the Southern province's way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

There is a risk of Larkham moving on again quickly but i think its worth taking, the best are always in demand and once we have stability in our head coach we will be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 23,769 ✭✭✭✭phog

Hiring any foreign coach is a risk and more so if they turn out to be a success. While the IRFU seem to be spending the money here they do not have endless cash and English & French club can outbid anything we can offer, if a national role is offered then why wouldn't a coach move on.

The alternative is we use Irish coaches and then we get the "jobs for the boys" moan, seems like Munster can never win when there's talk of us signing coaches or players.

phog wrote: »
    Hiring any foreign coach is a risk and more so if they turn out to be a success. While the IRFU seem to be spending the money here they do not have endless cash and English & French club can outbid anything we can offer, if a national role is offered then why wouldn't a coach move on.

The alternative is we use Irish coaches and then we get the "jobs for the boys" moan, seems like Munster can never win when there's talk of us signing coaches or players.

If Munster can get him they should, he could stay 1 year or 10 years, thats the risk. But also he could be useless and Munster want rid of in 1 year. Better off just signing and see how it works out

Leinster signed Lancaster, most thought it was a bad sigining but he has turned out to be excellent and has stayed because Leinster had faith in him

Maybe if Larkham signs he might do the same, I am just saying from all the reports of Australia rugby fans that he is waiting around for the Wallabies job.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There's a risk of anyone and everyone moving on quickly for various reasons.

• Advertisement

I am just saying from all the reports of Australia rugby fans that he is waiting around for the Wallabies job.

You claim the Limerick Leader isn't a reliable source of information yet you're willing to believe Aussie Fans :rolleyes:

Leinster signed Lancaster, most thought it was a bad sigining

I don't remember this being the case to be honest, was considered a coup by anyone I spoke with but maybe I missed some of the reaction.

Larkham is a popular coach, it would be a great signing provided the hiring folks have done their due diligence on his future international options. If Cheika goes after the world cup then Larkham might end up only doing the year which may still be worth it but just not ideal.

Hopefully everyone is up front in their intentions, would love to see a Munster back line with his influence, the talent is there but the performances haven't be.

It will be huge for Carbery's development and I expect him to be taking a more central starting role beginning next six nations.

I'm totally in favour of this, I just hope it's not short term and acrimonious.
    There's a risk of anyone and everyone moving on quickly for various reasons.

There is, but he has somewhat been groomed as replacement for Cheika, and there is a fairly good chance Cheika is gone in October. It's a more obvious risk than the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭moby2101

You claim the Limerick Leader isn't a reliable source of information yet you're willing to believe Aussie Fans :rolleyes:

I’d believe the Aussie fans dog before the Limerick Leader..appallingly bad “newspaper “

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

moby2101 wrote: »
    I’d believe the Aussie fans dog before the Limerick Leader..appallingly bad “newspaper “

Cian Tracey said he was in Limerick and close to signing and Alan Quilnan said on OTB that his sources were telling him similar. So not just the Leader.

https://twitter.com/CianTracey1/status/1136899611359174657

Yeah I would, read the article. It is pure trash. Not one comments from anyone.

Its a bit of a bio of Larkham and what else exactly? At least the Wallaby fans actually know what his current job is with Wallibies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Quinlan said that Handré Pollard was nearly a done deal for Munster around 4 months ago until Montpellier outbid them. I wonder why Munster where willing to pay big money for Pollard when they have Carbery.
    I‘ve only really ever seen Pollard play 10 for the Bulls. I wonder where Munster considering moving Carbery to 15.

It Munster get Larkham they will have some coaching ticket for next year. Would have to rank as one of the top outside the international teams....

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Quinlan said that Handré Pollard was nearly a done deal for Munster around 4 months ago until Montpellier outbid them. I wonder why Munster where willing to pay big money for Pollard when they have Carbery.
    I‘ve only really ever seen Pollard play 10 for the Bulls. I wonder where Munster considering moving Carbery to 15.

He's more than big enough to play 12 and Carbery is potentially Ireland first choice 10 next season - not going to be around nearly as much.
    It Munster get Larkham they will have some coaching ticket for next year. Would have to rank as one of the top outside the international teams....

Yeah Rowntree and Larkham would be terrific, I'm not convinced yet by VanGraan however.

He's more than big enough to play 12 and Carbery is potentially Ireland first choice 10 next season - not going to be around nearly as much.

Yeah Rowntree and Larkham would be terrific, I'm not convinced yet by VanGraan however.

Would VanGrann not move up to Director type role and let the 2 lads off with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Larkham was coached by both Nucifora and Laurie Fisher. I would imagine he has had a few conversations with both of them about rugby, coaching and life in Ireland and Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Larkham was in Limerick and his kids are enrolled in a local school for next year.
    The real question is who the third coach will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Fox Sports are quoting Irish Independent about Munster. They go into the background as to what happened with Australia. They are saying that some think that he needs to get experience outside of Australia in another rugby environment before getting the top job.

From what happened with Cheika, I'd say that if Larkham comes to Munster as attack coach, he will be in full control of it. ARU wanted to keep Larkham with Australia as backs coach, but Cheika wouldn't keep him.
    In a statement released by Rugby Australia on February 3, Larkham said he and Cheika had fundamental differences in the direction the team should go.

“Ultimately Michael is responsible for the performance of the team,” Larkham said.

“We have differences in attacking strategy and overall game philosophy.

“We couldn’t agree on these key points and it is in the best interest of the team that they receive clear and consistent messages from their coaches.

“I am obviously disappointed with this outcome as I had chosen to pursue the experience of taking the Wallabies through to the World Cup, however I am pleased to be able to continue coaching and contributing to Australian Rugby in this new role.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wallabies/sacked-wallabies-assistant-coach-stephen-larkham-set-to-join-irish-heavyweights-munster/news-story/fc9f1625f4293dec52d2f3fc4ec9569b

Seemingly, he is friendly with Andy Friend and I'd be pretty sure that Laurie Fisher would have put in a good word for Munster with him.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

No more excuses for JvG now. That’s an excellent ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Pollard would have been an amazing signing but Montpellier's offer was way above what the IRFU would sanction for an overseas player. Also you'd want to be certain that Pollard would be ineligible for the Springboks as he could be unavailable for early parts of the season and/or flogged.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Pollard would have been an amazing signing but Montpellier's offer was way above what the IRFU would sanction for an overseas player. Also you'd want to be certain that Pollard would be ineligible for the Springboks as he could be unavailable for early parts of the season and/or flogged.

It would have been the highest profile signing by a province in a long time. This guy is the starting outhalf for SA and should still have his best days ahead of him. I imagine the plan would have been to play him at 12 with Rory Scannell dropping out.

I don't think they'd have been able to hang onto him during the international windows, though. That would mean seeing very little of him before December. He'd fly in for the Champions Cup opening games and fly out again, essentially.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

pretty disgraceful from addidas to be honest

Adidas have been a huge let down. Obviously much more bottom line driven than previous suppliers.

• Advertisement

I actually like the jerseys but they're just way too similar to be released for two different clubs

Advertisement