Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Niall Scannell (Dolphin/Munster) 14 caps
    Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 29 caps
    John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster) 18 caps
    Tadhg Beirne (Lansdowne/Munster) 5 caps
    Jean Kleyn (Munster) 0 caps
    Tommy O’Donnell (UL Bohemians/Munster) 12 caps
    Peter O’Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 57 caps
    CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster) 31 caps

Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 72 caps
    Joey Carbery (Clontarf/Munster) 18 caps
    Chris Farrell (Young Munster/Munster) 5 caps
    Rory Scannell (Dolphin/Munster) 3 caps
    Andrew Conway (Garryowen/Munster) 12 caps
    Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 77 caps
    Mike Haley (Munster) 0 cap

Of the 15 selected in the training squad, I'd expect one of Beirne or Kleyn, TOD, R Scannell and Haley to not make the final RWC squad, which leaves something like:

Cronin, Marshall, Archer, Kleyn/Beirne, Wycherley, JOD, TOD, Botha;
    McCarthy, Bleyendaal, Wootton*, Scannell, Goggin, Sweetnam, Haley

KOB, LOC, Scott, Holland, Coombes, Mathewson, JJH, Arnold

*TBC if he's available after surgery

There could be 6-8 games before the internationals return. That type of 23 won't be available every (if any) week. Academy players will get game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There could be 6-8 games before the internationals return. That type of 23 won't be available every (if any) week. Academy players will get game time.

True and I hope the likes of Coombes, Casey, Healy and Nash are rotated in. How Munster manage the minutes of their four available senior 9s will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Stafford is a really good 9 I'm surprised Munster picked a fading Duncan Williams over him so often, hopefully they take a leaf out of leinsters book and start bringing these guys through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

They will be playing against academy players, every other team will have majority of players at WC. The majority of the Munster team should be from the academy, with maybe 1-2 more senior players dotted in....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    They will be playing against academy players, every other team will have majority of players at WC. The majority of the Munster team should be from the academy, with maybe 1-2 more senior players dotted in....

Every other team is stretching it. The 2 South African sides will be at full strength minus 1 or 2 and the Dragons will be the same.

I believe there is a Celtic Cup in September to bring through academy players. Those who put their hands up will get opportunities in the Pro14. Munster can't afford to drop points, look how one or two defeats forced them to travel to the RDS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Every other team is stretching it. The 2 South African sides will be at full strength minus 1 or 2 and the Dragons will be the same.

I believe there is a Celtic Cup in September to bring through academy players. Those who put their hands up will get opportunities in the Pro14. Munster can't afford to drop points, look how one or two defeats forced them to travel to the RDS.

Connacht will also be in a strong position with only a few players likely to be involved so that is another to watch out for if they are in the same conference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The South African teams and Dragon? hardly World beaters are they!!!

Munster had the first team out on the pitch when they lost those games. In reality most of the home games at the start of the season was a full strength Munster team playing the kids of other teams....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Full strength is a relative statement for the Kings and Dragons though.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Full strength is a relative statement for the Kings and Dragons though.

Sure it is but it doesn't make that previous statement correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

I hope some of the U20s on display last night will get a look in for some senior action next season. The trimmed squad will rely more on academy players. I assume Hodnett will be added to the academy.

Mad to think Munster nearly let hodnett go after refusing to pick him as a br for u19s and forced him to play hooker. Fair dues to him to back himself and give them the dilemma of picking him in the br or not at all, it’s a huge gamble that’s hugely paid off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

Agreed, Hodnett stuck to his convictions and worked out. Also may highlight that some thinking in academy management should be questioned.

Thing is though, perhaps they were looking at Josser O'Sullivan at 8 ahead of him and thinking they're well stocked there? He's an absolute gun at 8 and hopefully injury doesnt curtail him delivering on his promise.

• Site Banned Posts: 25 worldcupfever

Agreed, Hodnett stuck to his convictions and worked out. Also may highlight that some thinking in academy management should be questioned.

Thing is though, perhaps they were looking at Josser O'Sullivan at 8 ahead of him and thinking they're well stocked there? He's an absolute gun at 8 and hopefully injury doesnt curtail him delivering on his promise.

Hodnett is a 7 going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jmn51927

The post CJ-POM era is already taking a brilliant shape. JOD will still be round and hopefully really kicked on, JOS will hopefully live up to the potential he showed last year and if Hodnett continues this form it will be great for the club. Than there’s Coombes who’s looked promising already aswell.

apart from those players development is being blocked by two saffers in Cloete and Botha

jmn51927 wrote: »
    The post CJ-POM era is already taking a brilliant shape. JOD will still be round and hopefully really kicked on, JOS will hopefully live up to the potential he showed last year and if Hodnett continues this form it will be great for the club. Than there’s Coombes who’s looked promising already aswell.

The years have flown! We're at the point where there is succession talk post CJ and POM. :(
    Munster can hopefully get one more RWC cycle out of them, by then they will be at retirement age/stage.

apart from those players development is being blocked by two saffers in Cloete and Botha

This time next year Cloete will be IQ and Botha will be gone.

not sure who that's relevant to those young backrows playing next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I thought Botha had signed a contract extension?

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I thought Botha had signed a contract extension?

Botha is under contract for 2019-20 only.

Those young back rowers are still academy players playing U20 rugby. Even if Cloete and Botha weren't there, they'd see little game time next season. They've plenty of time to stake a claim for a first team place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,769 ✭✭✭✭phog

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭budhabob

There seems to be growing noise online and in the media that Stephen Larkham is likely to be appointed. Both serious appointments if true.

Stafford is a really good 9 I'm surprised Munster picked a fading Duncan Williams over him so often, hopefully they take a leaf out of leinsters book and start bringing these guys through

It looks like the door might be closed for Stafford. All four senior scrumhalves are signed up until at least 2021. If next season's squad numbers are anything to go by, Munster won't be able to have five senior 9s on the books.

I know Stafford was developed in Munster (he attended Glenstal Abbey), but as a Wexford man perhaps he would be tempted by a move to Leinster? They tried to sign Casey by all accounts so there's a space for Stafford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

It looks like the door might be closed for Stafford. All four senior scrumhalves are signed up until at least 2021. If next season's squad numbers are anything to go by, Munster won't be able to have five senior 9s on the books.

I know Stafford was developed in Munster (he attended Glenstal Abbey), but as a Wexford man perhaps he would be tempted by a move to Leinster? They tried to sign Casey by all accounts so there's a space for Stafford.

Would love if Leinster nabbed Stafford, I really rate him - hope he doesnt fall through the cracks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,990 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Stephen Larkam as backs coach link here

was disappointed to see Jones and Flannery depart, but Munster at least seemed to be well prepared for it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I think Casey was more a shot at grabbing a really solid talent, whereas Stafford is a bit more of a gamble. It all depends on if Leinster would see Stafford as a better option than Hugh O'Sullivan or Patrick Patterson and also Ben Murphy who's a decent prospect who'll likely be in the sub-academy this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,769 ✭✭✭✭phog

2smiggy wrote: »
    Stephen Larkam as backs coach link here

was disappointed to see Jones and Flannery depart, but Munster at least seemed to be well prepared for it !!

Same here, my hope was if the lads did go then we'd sign as good as them if not better and it seems we've gone for better.

I wonder is there a 3rd coach to be added as originally JvG mentioned a 3rd coach while we still had Fla and Jones.

Shannon have Stafford listed as a fullback. Does he play there too or is that an error?
    https://shannonrfc.com/jack-stafford/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Larkham is an interesting appointment. He's one of the greatest players of all time and will have a lot of ideas for Munsters attack. But he wasn't a success as Australia's attack coach despite having all that talent to work with. Although that could have been down to a clash of ideals with Cheika.

It's a gamble that I hope works out.

Advertisement