Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭elperello

VinLieger wrote: »
    Wetherspoons have no reason to do anything.

We have to wait and see if the Scottish Supreme court appeal comes of anything to see if the EU can help out.

And even if the Scottish court gives the thumbs up there's scope for it to be appealed here due to how the EUCJ worded their judgement

So our government would have to make a case to EUCJ.

Just imagine it. Their submission might read like this-

"We already have higher taxes on drink than nearly every other country in the EU but our people are still drinking themselves to death. Please let us fix the market and make them pay even more so we can save them"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    The vast majority of people saying there isn't a drinking problem in Ireland is incredible IMHO.

If you took 10,000 people from all over the world and described the drinking culture in Ireland to them, I'd say 99% would say we had a serious issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

FutureGuy wrote: »
    The vast majority of people saying there isn't a drinking problem in Ireland is incredible IMHO.

If you took 10,000 people from all over the world and described the drinking culture in Ireland to them, I'd say 99% would say we had a serious issue.

should it not be someone's choice if they choose to get drunk whenever they like?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

85% of statistics are completely made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Well it's the wording of the question really, and whether this is a solution. Yes, there are people with drinking problems in Ireland, and unhealthy associations with alcohol, perhaps disproportionately.

Will minimum pricing do anything to tackle any of that - No
    Will it boost profits of the ones that benefit from whatever drinking problems exist in Ireland - Yes
    Will it affect consumers who don't have a problem with alcohol - Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,495 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

should it not be someone's choice if they choose to get drunk whenever they like?

Well yes. But that argument falls down a bit when their drunkedness causes issue for the health service, courts, garda and other people.

Its like the smoking ban. Should people be allowed to smoke even after they have been informed of all the facts? YEs. Should they be allowed to impact on those you don't want to?

No.

Do I want to walk down the street avoiding sick on the streets? Have to avoid A&E on weekend nights because it is full of drunks. To have to share Garda resources with going around dealing with issues caused by alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I dunno about you, but the opinion of 10'000 random fictitious people from around the world's assumptions aren't what I would like to base legislation on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭votecounts

Pardon my ignorance but this bill has been very quiet, nothing on the daily news about it. When do ye expect this bill to be passed and come in to force.
    Should I rush out from work and and grab 12 cans of Galahad?
    On another note, who says the pubs provide a duty of care as I see many pubs serve any old drunk once they can pay and these fellas never go near an offie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Get people into pubs for a drink is a load of BS, I tell ya I'd have much preferred growing up if my Dad had a few cans at home than never seen him because he was in the pub.

The widespread culture of going to pub straight after work now is gone and rightfully too. I've never got pissed from drinking at home, where as there is an extremely high chance I will if I go to the pub.

IVF are fuelling this bill, it all about protecting their trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Well yes. But that argument falls down a bit when their drunkedness causes issue for the health service, courts, garda and other people.

Its like the smoking ban. Should people be allowed to smoke even after they have been informed of all the facts? YEs. Should they be allowed to impact on those you don't want to?

No.

Do I want to walk down the street avoiding sick on the streets? Have to avoid A&E on weekend nights because it is full of drunks. To have to share Garda resources with going around dealing with issues caused by alcohol
    Banning drinking in pubs, as per the smoking ban, would do more to address those issues than minimum pricing.

Minimum pricing isn't going to impact on those that are lining up the jager bomb's (or whatever) and get themselves in a mess/ fight.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

No.

drunks falling around the streets and getting sick on the streets at night are coming out of pubs and bars. Why don't they up the prices of booze in pubs and bars then?

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Banning drinking in pubs, as per the smoking ban, would do more to address those issues than minimum pricing.

Minimum pricing isn't going to impact on those that are lining up the jager bomb's (or whatever) and get themselves in a mess/ fight.
    drunks falling around the streets and getting sick on the streets at night are coming out of pubs and bars. Why don't they up the prices of booze in pubs and bars then?

Totally agree on both. I was responding to the post that said

The pub wasn't mentioned in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying all the top brands like Guinness Heineken Budweiser ect will remain the same price but their cheaper competitors will
    almost double in price?
    That's some coup for the big boys!They must be on their knees laughing!

They'll have to increase their prices to keep their status as "premium" brands

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    But they have now shifted their position back to revenue streams away from health (sniggers).

They've expressed they don't want to introduce this bill until they get cross border price fixing.

With the Dupers and SF unable to agree the time of day up North, and the Westminster regime hanging in there by a thread, this bills introduction is no further forward now than it ever was.

Worth remembering that Scots law and Northern Irish law are entirely different systems so the Scottish decision may not affect the NI laws

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption_per_capita

Ireland is 12th of 33 OECD countries, and rates drop every year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭my poor tortured hands

Current situation with beer.
    Budget brands, yellow pack etc, .80 to 1.00
    Standard cans, Canadian Mols etc are 1.00 to 1.25
    Premium cans, Guinness, Carlsberg etc, 1.25 to 1.70 but often less than 1.30.
    Craft beer > 2.00

Under Minimum Pricing.
    Budget brands, yellow pack etc, GONE
    Standard cans, Canadian Mols etc are GONE
    Premium cans, Guinness etc, 2.00.
    Craft beer > 2.00, UNCHANGED

Shops can't sell Guinness at artifically high prices because other shops would undercut them.
    Current profit on Guinness.
    price = 1.25
    Excise + VAT = 0.75
    Profit for manufacturer and retailer =.50

Super profits after minimum pricing.
    price = 2.00
    Excise + VAT = 0.95
    Profit for manufacturer and retailer = 1.05

Extra profit of approx 50 cents per can after minimum pricing. That's double the profit.

If some shops are stupid enough to charge more than the minimum price than they won't sell much and others will make the super normal profits.

Budget brands go out of business. That's unfair and that's what the court cases are about.

Spirits are basically the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Under Minimum Pricing. Budget brands, yellow pack etc, GONE Standard cans, Canadian Mols etc are GONE Premium cans, Guinness etc, 2.00. Craft beer > 2.00, UNCHANGED

Would there not be a market for cheap/standard beer sold at mup?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

goose2005 wrote: »
    Worth remembering that Scots law and Northern Irish law are entirely different systems so the Scottish decision may not affect the NI laws

This is being challenged in the UK Supreme Court not the Scottish courts, so therefore the ruling will have implications for Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Does anyone think that if the price of heroin went up 20% tomorrow that junkies would knock their habit on the head?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

If you asked 10,000 imaginary people " do the video games cause the mass shootings " - 99% would say yes

meanwhile back in reality :

ObDa7DH.png

• Advertisement

There would be some market for standard cans in the future but a much smaller market.

Imagine today if they introduced the minimum price but they didn't change the prices on the shelves. People would get to the till with the 6 cans for 6 euro and be told that they must pay 2 euro a can, so 12 euro. Customers would almost certanly ditch the cheaper cans and buy more expensive brands.

It'd be interesting to see what'd happen after 5 years say... would the cheaper brands survive and would a price differential open up above the minimum price?
    I'm convinced at the start that all brands will sell at the minimum price.

This will be very unpopular. Loads of people expect to get cans for 1.25 or less. I'd say that over half the sales of most off-licences are below 1.30 per can. So all of those people would be hugely affected. They might not know now but they will when they hit the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

There would be some market for standard cans in the future but a much smaller market.

Imagine today if they introduced the minimum price but they didn't change the prices on the shelves. People would get to the till with the 6 cans for 6 euro and be told that they must pay 2 euro a can, so 12 euro. Customers would almost certanly ditch the cheaper cans and buy more expensive brands.

It'd be interesting to see what'd happen after 5 years say... would the cheaper brands survive and would a price differential open up above the minimum price?
    I'm convinced at the start that all brands will sell at the minimum price.

This will be very unpopular. Loads of people expect to get cans for 1.25 or less. I'd say that over half the sales of most off-licences are below 1.30 per can. So all of those people would be hugely affected. They might not know now but they will when they hit the till.

There will be a huge increase in the black market for alcohol for sure. Ferry to France and filling the boot would be a nice little earner.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The vinters are miserable so and so's.

They want everyone to go to the pub and drink overpriced everything with TVs at every turn showing the most boring stuff in history. I refuse to sit anywhere near a TV on the rare occasions I grace a pub these days.

If they even threw a bag of crisps/peanuts down with every round or something like the tapas equivalent in other European countries well, maybe I'd have a bit of sympathy for them.

But I have none. They come across as miserable whiny bstards, giving out about everything, but do nothing to entice the customers in at all. Ever. I'm talking about local pubs here. Town is different, I know that. But even there they are the same.

How could supplying a pack of crisps or nuts make them bankrupt FGS. Sorry they are just moany oul yokes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

When is the price increase expected to come in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

When is the price increase expected to come in ?

When it takes effect in Norn Iron, the 25th of not anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

When it takes effect in Norn Iron, the 25th of not anytime soon.

(beer) can kicked down the road now. Long may the Assembly up North just keep the infighting going. We are saved!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally Posted by B.A._Baracus View Post
    So what does this mean for the likes of Lidl beer. I enjoy perlenbacher myself at 7.29. So it'll be at least 10 euro now?
    500ml x 4.9% x 6 bottles x 0.79* x 10 cent = €11.61

*One ml of ethanol weighs 0.79 grams.
    Don't forget this price increase will also apply to Galahad which is currently € 8.79 for 12 cans €1.47 a litre

at the new price it would be 500ml x 4% x 12 bottles x 0.79* x 10 cent = €18.96 €3.16 a litre

And, excluding the VAT, Aldi would be forced to pocket all of the difference as it would be illegal for them to do otherwise.

And, excluding the VAT, Aldi would be forced to pocket all of the difference as it would be illegal for them to do otherwise.

Is this really the case? I'm not sure it is. They have to charge a MUP but what can they do with that? Can they give FOC snacks? Give bonus points on loyalty cards? Tesco could give petrol vouchers etc

Unless the retailer has to send the MUP to the revenue I can't see how they can legislate against that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,187 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Is this really the case? I'm not sure it is. They have to charge a MUP but what can they do with that? Can they give FOC snacks? Give bonus points on loyalty cards? Tesco could give petrol vouchers etc

Unless the retailer has to send the MUP to the revenue I can't see how they can legislate against that.

all of the above would be seen as an attempt to circumvent MUP and outlawed.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 does raise an interesting point.

At first it seems obvious, retailers can't give something of value to the customers to offset the minimum price as that would break the minimum price rules.

Then I thought of free bars, and thought they'd be illegal. But they'd be ok as long as someone was paying the minimum price.

But then I was thinking, what stops Tesco from also paying for drinks for it's friends, like it's customers?
    The only difference is that Tesco would be both the benefactor and the retailer but so what eh?, So what?
    Stick it to the man. Ouch.

edit.
    Another difference is that free bars provide drinks for immediate consumption in glasses whereas retailers sell closed drinks.

Advertisement