Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

What a backward kip this country is. Up to Newry with me now maybe twice a year to stock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gadgiemagoo

Agreed - my price on wine would only have been 5p less. Just a bargain is all!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gadgiemagoo

I'm from Dublin but lived in Scotland from 2003 to 2013. Then moved to Enniskillen. Love it. But its worth our while to ferry to France to buy box loads of booze. Cheap as fcuk

• Registered Users Posts: 24,478 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

According to the irish times the plan is to bring in MUP at the same time as its brought in in Northern Ireland so that border shop owners dont suffer an exodus of shoppers heading north. For Stormont to bring in MUP means Stormont needs to be functioning. Currently its not.

Can't see that happening before Christmas.

But but but, peoples health. Why would they care about border shop owners if the goal was to improve overall health:confused:

That's yet another open admission it's about revenue and pub protection only.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I spent e12.50 on five bottles of middlingly fancy beer in a bar here in Malta, and while drinking was given five different complementary snacks - crackers with cheese, bread with pesto, fried potatoes, chicken wings, and something else I'm not quote remembering (damn beer!)

If bars at home were doing the same I'd never leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,478 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

TPD wrote: »
    I spent e12.50 on five bottles of middlingly fancy beer in a bar here in Malta, and while drinking was given five different complementary snacks - crackers with cheese, bread with pesto, fried potatoes, chicken wings, and something else I'm not quote remembering (damn beer!).
    I remember the same in southern Spain many years ago, great experience
    TPD wrote: »
    If bars at home were doing the same I'd never leave.
    Fat chance, that would cost money. Sure the beers are already 3 times the price that Malta / Spain would serve them at and they still whine there's no money to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Ireland's drink culture is overstated.
    We're drink about average by European standards. We're in the same ballpark as the Brits, Germans, French, Spanish, Belgians, Poles and a few others. A bit less than some of them, a bit more than others. Some other countries drink a good bit more. Others a good bit less.
    I'm not tried to pretend that a lot of us don't drink to much. Some of us do. Me included.
    But, as a country, we are not the outliers that the media seem to love to portray us as.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Funny thing is I think very few would have had an objection if bulk buy discounts of alcohol had been banned here - I don't like the €1.80 a can, 7 for €10 pricing model at all as it encourages people to buy more than originally intended. It would still have led to small price increases as well as making life more difficult for off-licenses, but a much more acceptable way imo.

€1.80 a can, 7 for €10 etc. are NOT discounted. Have you ever visited supermarkets in European cities? (and I even include expensive cities like Paris). Decent 5%+ stronger volume beer hovering below or slightly above the €1 mark per can. If you have then you know this 'cheap alcohol' assertion repeatedly peddled by FG, the Vinters and the Health Industry nazis is nothing but outright propaganda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

I’m not much of a drinker and I rarely drink at home. However it’s clear what this is about. Binge drinking? If Ireland has a problem its a pub based binge drinking problem - look at court reports. It’s not people buying a few jars to watch the x-factor.

The sanctimonious nonsense the minister comes out with would literally boil your piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The sanctimonious nonsense the minister comes out with would literally boil your piss.

The Dail Bar needs to go alcohol-free - you wouldn't have say the captain of a ferry pissed up these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    I’m not much of a drinker and I rarely drink at home. However it’s clear what this is about. Binge drinking? If Ireland has a problem its a pub based binge drinking problem - look at court reports. It’s not people buying a few jars to watch the x-factor.

Thats the biggest load of bollix ive ever heard! Nobody binge drinks in a pub - They buy cheap alcohol drink that at home then head out, head to a nightclub where they are locked after buying nothing in the place!

What utter nonesense the above post is and shows a complete lack of understanding what the whole thing is about!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Ipso wrote: »
    Start home brewing, it's not difficult and you won't poison yourself.

Distilling is illegal in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

ardinn wrote: »
    Thats the biggest load of bollix ive ever heard! Nobody binge drinks in a pub - They buy cheap alcohol drink that at home then head out, head to a nightclub where they are locked after buying nothing in the place!

What utter nonesense the above post is and shows a complete lack of understanding what the whole thing is about!!

I'd ask for a link/source to back that claim up, but I reckon it wouldn't be forthcoming anytime soon.

If you are off the belief that no one binges on alcohol in bars, who am I to shatter your gullibility.

Anyway.

I see according to the Indo that this is to be delayed until (at least) until their is a cross border price in place, to prevent mass exodus to offsales in either jurisdiction.
    But there was immediate concern that the shift in pricing would send shoppers north of the Border in their droves

Which is odd. Since I thought they were concerned about health, not revenue streams. Lol.

Also according to the indo, the north would be hampered from ever introducing it there until whatever legal challenges Scotland's facing in the courts for trying to get this introduced gets resolved.
    A spokesman for the UK Home Office told the Irish Independent yesterday: "The minimum price of alcohol is under review pending the outcome of the legal case between the Scottish government and the Scotch Whisky Association, and any subsequent introduction in Scotland."

Meanwhile my local FG TD just updated his Facebook page, that he would be in attendance of his usual clinic's over the next week.

3 of the 5 clinic's are in pubs.

2 of the 3 pubs he will be holding clinic's in are his pubs.

Viability. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

511 wrote: »

But brewing isn't. Two completely different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I have often binged drank in pubs, in fact I'd say most of the binge drinking I do these days is in pubs.
    I like to have one or two beers or home but save my binging for the licensed premises. Most people I know are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

511 wrote: »

Brewing wine and beer is not distilling

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The whole thing as proven by FG's own 2011 manifesto is about propping up the Vintners, anyone who argues against that must simply be unable to read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Nobody drinks 3+ pints in a pub?? Sorry but that is the biggest load of bollix I’ve heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,243 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Nobody drinks 3+ pints in a pub?? Sorry but that is the biggest load of bollix I’ve heard.

maybe it is millenials they are thinking of? they tend to do a lot more predrinking than older people like me.

Found the publican,

• Advertisement

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/editorial/minister-bottles-drink-measure-long-overdue-36306583.html
    A nice sanctimonious editorial which seems to indicate that the writing is on the wall for MUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Just about everyone I know who binge drinks, including myself, does so in a pub 9 times out of 10. I'll buy 4 or 6 cans if watching a match, if I finish them all thats me. I dont always.

If I go to a pub and Im enjoying myself, I generally wont leave until i) the pub closes, or ii) I have to for transport reasons. Occasionally iii), Ill run out of money and wont be coherent enough to move money from the savings account via mobile banking. A handy limiter.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,243 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/editorial/minister-bottles-drink-measure-long-overdue-36306583.html
    A nice sanctimonious editorial which seems to indicate that the writing is on the wall for MUP.

any chance of a synopsis? no intention of giving that rag my email address.

any chance of a synopsis? no intention of giving that rag my email address.
    From the Irish Independent 10/11/17
    One of the critical reasons why the currency of politics is so devalued in the public mind is that what is right is too often being sacrificed for what is convenient.
    The flip-flopping by Health Minister Simon Harris on the issue of introducing a new law to outlaw cheap drink is just the latest cynical side-step to avoid doing something that is responsible, but unpopular.

We have become used to governments kicking the can down the road metaphorically; now it has done so literally as the much-heralded introduction of minimum pricing on tins and bottles of beer is put on hold indefinitely.
    The new prices were supposed to ban the selling in leading supermarkets of beer for less than €1.

Apparently Mr Harris wants to synchronise the move with price hikes in the North to avoid a rush of sales over the Border.

All one can say is good luck with that, minister. Not only is there no government in Belfast, the one in London is hanging on by a slender thread.

The idea that there is time or appetite to introduce the kind of increases to bridge the disparity between alcohol prices here and in the UK, is as hard to swallow as cheap lager.

This will not happen any time soon, and it is difficult not to conclude that the minister has simply bottled it.

This is totally unacceptable. Alcohol causes twice as many deaths as all other drugs combined in this country.

Some argue that we make our choices, but in the end it is our choices that make us.

Avoiding tackling the problem of excessive drinking here has to be confronted sooner or later. It is hugely disappointing that Mr Harris has all too predictably opted for later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Do these people not realise we all die of something??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Hard to argue with the overall thrust of the editorial. Time and again the government have 'bottled it' when attempting to deal with any aspect of the issue with alcohol.

Alcohol has, and continues to have, serious detrimental effects across all sectors of society. It costs the health service, the Garda and the courts significant amounts of both time and money to deal with the outcomes. Time and money that could be better utilised in other areas.

It comes out a high social cost as well. To those unaffected it seems little more than a laugh, but to those individuals and families that struggle with the effects it is very real and very costly. In terms of the money spend, the lives wasted, the abuse, the effects on children. These are all real and documented costs of alcohol when abused.

You then have the silent sufferers. The 'normal' people that slip quietly into alcohol dependence. The glass of wine after a hard day of work, turns into a bottle, then a bottle every other day and on and on it goes.

Where I disagree is that the minister bottled it by not pushing this through. He bottled it by not coming up with a plan that actually tackled the problem, rather than try to demonise one part of the problem (off licence) whilst lording the other (pubs).

This was the laziest attempt, clearly born out of an attempt to subsidise the pub trade, to try to effect change. There are so many ways that we can tackle this significant problem in our society. We have shown ourselves capable of significant change in attitudes and outcomes over the years. The smoking ban, plastic bag levy, seatbelts etc. Put together a coherent case, explain the rationale and bring everyone (or the majority) with you. Be prepared to debate against those that disagree, but have the facts. Simply saying that "something must be done" is not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So what does this mean for the likes of Lidl beer. I enjoy perlenbacher myself at 7.29. So it'll be at least 10 euro now?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,487 ✭✭✭✭elperello

So what does this mean for the likes of Lidl beer. I enjoy perlenbacher myself at 7.29. So it'll be at least 10 euro now?

That beer is fairly strong (and nice!) so I guess you are right.
    BTW it's 3.59 in Portugal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

elperello wrote: »
    That beer is fairly strong (and nice!) so I guess you are right.
    BTW it's 3.59 in Portugal.

I've gotten 8 for 2.79 in France on special

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

500ml x 4.9% x 6 bottles x 0.79* x 10 cent = €11.61

*One ml of ethanol weighs 0.79 grams.

Advertisement