Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I've slightly lost the run of myself with books over the past while and have spent almost €700 on Book Depository since March :o

Some day when I've a spare hour I'll go through everything I've read but I'm currently about 150 pages into Mordew by Alex Pheby. It's strange but enjoyable, definite Jack Vance meets Philip Pullman meets Neil Gaiman meets Nick Harkaway vibes off it.

In the to-be-read pile then are:

The Dispossessed, Ursula K. Le Guin
    Who Fears Death, Nnedi Okorafor
    Dark Tales, Shirley Jackson
    We Have Always Lived in the Castle, Shirley Jackson
    Women Talking, Miriam Toews
    Future Home of the Living God, Louise Erdich
    Looking Glass, Christina Henry
    The Power, Naomi Alderman
    Zombie, Joyce Carol Oates
    Invisible Women, Caroline Criado Perez
    Four Tales, Philip Pullman
    Severance, Ling Ma

If it wasn't for my pesky job, I'd fly through these!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,353 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I've slightly lost the run of myself with books over the past while and have spent almost €700 on Book Depository since March :o

Lowplex Books are great for buying entire series together. I bought the Egyptian series by Wilbur Smith off them recently enough and although I had to pay €10 shipping, it still came in at about €20/30 cheaper than Book Depository plus they had the last book in the series included while the BD book set did not include it.

Although the free shipping is what would make me buy individual books off of Book Depository.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Never heard of that site, I'll check it out. I get the serious guilts about Book Depository cause it's all just lining Bezos' pockets but they're just so cheap. I ordered two books from Kenny's in Galway at the start of lockdown just to support them but they were literally twice the price of BD and took foreverrrrrrrrrrr to arrive.

It was a complete fluke that I found Lowplex Books. Another boardsie recommended the books to me and I was all set to buy them off Book Depository but I just googled Egyptian series Wilbur Smith to get the names of all the books and up popped Lowplex.

I actually did the same as well. Ordered a few books off of Kenny's at the start of lock down but I am hoping that Book Shop reopens in Douglas Village Shopping Centre when they have finished rebuilding the car park that caught fire. They had some great bargains with some books starting from €2.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Started Robert Harris' The Second Sleep. Has me hooked so far...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Never heard of that site, I'll check it out. I get the serious guilts about Book Depository cause it's all just lining Bezos' pockets but they're just so cheap. I ordered two books from Kenny's in Galway at the start of lockdown just to support them but they were literally twice the price of BD and took foreverrrrrrrrrrr to arrive.
    It was a complete fluke that I found Lowplex Books. Another boardsie recommended the books to me and I was all set to buy them off Book Depository but I just googled Egyptian series Wilbur Smith to get the names of all the books and up popped Lowplex.

I actually did the same as well. Ordered a few books off of Kenny's at the start of lock down but I am hoping that Book Shop reopens in Douglas Village Shopping Centre when they have finished rebuilding the car park that caught fire. They had some great bargains with some books starting from €2.99.

As real life bookshops go, Chapters is my absolute favourite, the prices are always excellent, too. That's the one thing I miss the most because of Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I would really recommend Wordery.com if you’re looking for a way to avoid Amazon/Book Depository. Free worldwide delivery & their prices are generally good - many are just a couple of pence dearer than Amazon, though of course it depends on what you’re looking for. Quick dispatch and delivery. They seem to have something of a reduced selection at the moment due to the coronavirus crisis, but I’d still thoroughly recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

gutenberg wrote: »
    Started Robert Harris' The Second Sleep. Has me hooked so far...

Harris is a great man for writing historical thrillers.

The Shardlake series are also great easy reading historical whodunnits set in the era of Henry the 8th, Thomas Cromwell etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭KH25

The Shardlake series are also great easy reading historical whodunnits set in the era of Henry the 8th, Thomas Cromwell etc.

I’ve heard great things about that series and keep meaning to pick the first one up.

Currently reading the invention of sound by Chuck Pahlaniuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I enjoyed his books. The Stalin/USSR one was great. Didn't he write fatherland too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,535 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

New Home wrote: »
    As real life bookshops go, Chapters is my absolute favourite, the prices are always excellent, too. That's the one thing I miss the most because of Covid.

We have a similar spot in Limerick called O'Mahonys. Independent and family run but as slick and professional as the big retailers. How a decent delivery service and special order service too

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

breezy1985 wrote: »
    We have a similar spot in Limerick called O'Mahonys. Independent and family run but as slick and professional as the big retailers. How a decent delivery service and special order service too
    love this shop and the staff are very knowledgeable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

The Witcher series, very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I'm just starting The Witches Of Eastwick by John Updike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Reading 1984 by G.O.
    Very apt for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

I started listening to 'Leadership and Self-Deception' and I'm absolutely enthralled so far. The audiobook has such an enjoyable story telling method that I've just been listening to it at every opportunity.

Certainly not my usual go-to genre but thoroughly enjoying it all the same.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

O'Mahony's is a lovely bookshop. If I ever need to kill some time when visiting Limerick that's where I'll go.

I'm between Cork and Kilkenny. Cork doesn't really have great book shops, not the bigger type of outfits anyway. There are a few good second hand retailers though. The Book Centre in Kilkenny is lovely as is the the Book Centre in Waterford. It has a lovely cafe set amongst the books and its a fantastic place to unwind for an hour. Cork could do with something like that.

if I'm ever abroad as well I'll always visit a few of the local bookshops. There are some wonderful bookshops out there with great ambience. I find a visit to a bookshop can be a very calming experience sometimes.

O'Mahony's is a lovely bookshop. If I ever need to kill some time when visiting Limerick that's where I'll go.

I'm between Cork and Kilkenny. Cork doesn't really have great book shops, not the bigger type of outfits anyway. There are a few good second hand retailers though. The Book Centre in Kilkenny is lovely as is the the Book Centre in Waterford. It has a lovely cafe set amongst the books and its a fantastic place to unwind for an hour. Cork could do with something like that.

if I'm ever abroad as well I'll always visit a few of the local bookshops. There are some wonderful bookshops out there with great ambience.

I know it's a chain but the Regent Street Waterstones was my go to for years in London. Absolutely huge spot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Champagne Football.

Go on the john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I know it's a chain but the Regent Street Waterstones was my go to for years in London. Absolutely huge spot

I'd be in O'Mahoneys in Limerick more often but I love a trip down to Waterstones in Cork. Their History, Sport and Science sections are usually holding a few absolute gems just waiting for me to arrive.

• Advertisement

I'd be in O'Mahoneys in Limerick more often but I love a trip down to Waterstones in Cork. Their History, Sport and Science sections are usually holding a few absolute gems just waiting for me to arrive.

Was only in Waterstones Cork today, I never really need to ask questions as I know what I'm looking for etc. But their staff are both knowledgeable. Same for O'Mahony's in Limerick but prefer the building for waterstones.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Jeffery Archer - Nothing Ventured

Very enjoyable

Never knew they had Irish branches. Will check it out when I eventaully get to Cork again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just finished Donal Ryan new book ' Strange Flowers'

I really enjoy his books but found this one a bit meeh.

Started great + enjoyed end but middle bit was a bit well strange. Tried to be a bit too artistic. Didnt work for me.

He should have just stuck to what he is good at.

Onto Hamnet now + really enjoying it do far. A very interesting read.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mars Bar wrote: »
    An easy read. Not taxing. Not mind blowing either.

A third of the way through Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. I like it so far even though I'm finding it hard to picture the environment or surroundings.

I enjoyed it and will continue through the series. It's my sisters favourite book of all time but then she hasn't read the Assassin's Apprentice Trilogy and that entire collection of books so I think she's missing out!

Currently on Notes From A Small Island - Bill Bryson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭population

I recently finished Hidden Valley Road. I really enjoyed it. Fascinating study of an American family.

Currently reading 'The Uninhabitable Earth'. Sobering and thought provoking but I am also learning alot and it is prompting me to research and learn about many things so half way through and I recommend.

Reading it now. Utterly terrifying. We are in deep trouble.

The Reckoning by John Grisham.

Set in the 1940s in the US, one prominent farmer kills the local pastor. The book centers around the motive of the murder as you know right from the outset that he committed the crime and is sentenced appropriately. Very interesting as normally I would read who dunnits so this was a refreshing change to the usual crime fiction novels I read.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Reading "The Barchester Chronicles" by Anthony Trollope, on the 5th book, "The Small house at Allington". I think the whole series is great and doesn't get the credit it deserves.

Recently read Le Carre "Tinker Taylor", good but complicated and also "The Constant Gardener", it was excellent as was the subsequent movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

The Ratline by Philippe Sands.

• Advertisement

A Pocket Guide to Irish Castles: The Story of Ireland's Amazing Heritage by Fiona Briggs.

A fascinating brief overview of some of the great castles and manor houses on the island of Ireland. It's such a pity that so many are little more than crumbling ruins now and some of those restored are held in private hands and not open to the public.

Advertisement