Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

The Ratline by Philippe Sands.

Thats next on my list, let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

Peter Freestone's cookbook when he worked for Freddie Mercury. Lot of very traditional dishes I am eager to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

The Darkness Echoing: Exploring Ireland’s Places of Famine, Death and Rebellion by Dr Gillian O'Brien

A couple of chapters in, but enjoying it a lot. Don't think I'll be long burning through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Feeling is the Secret. N Goddard.
    It goes back a long way and is a bit heavy with the religion but it sure is an interesting read.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

The Stuff of Thought: Language as a Window into Human Nature by Stephen Pinker.

Tremendous stuff so far. Highly readable, and deals with an extremely complex topic - how language shapes our view of nature and the world - in an interesting and structured way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I've three books on the go at the moment; Mordew by Alex Pheby, Invisible Women by Caroline Criado Perez for when that gets a bit too weird even for me, and Grimms' Fairy Tales edited by Philip Pullman for when I just need a quick brain reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,863 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Good morning midnight
    By lily brooks-dalton

Absolutely loved this book, it definitely isn't for everyone it might be a little slow for many, but I loved the writing style and it tackles some huge themes.

Basic summary
    two outsiders--a lonely scientist in the Arctic and an astronaut trying to return to Earth--as they grapple with love, regret, and survival in a world transformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death, and Brain Surgery by Marsh, Henry.

This is the best book I have read in years, its one of those change your life books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I've started The Outside Boy, by Jeanine Cummins, author of American Dirt (which I also really enjoyed.) It's the story of a young traveller boy whose family decide to settle in a town for the children to go to school. It feels really authentic and well-researched. Definitely worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Monarch of The Greens

Good read about Tom Morris Jr and history of golf.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭pavb2

Just started The Informer by Liam O’ Flaherty, even at this early stage he paints a very good if somewhat grim picture of 1920’s Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I’m just starting A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Gravity by Tess Gerritsen.

I have read her crime fiction novels but this is the first time I read her sci-fi novel, so wasn't sure what to expect.

I actually really enjoyed this, it centers around an experiment going horribly wrong on the ISS and NASA's attempts to save the surviving astronauts before they all perish to this contagion. However, the catch is that this contagion threatens all of humanity back on Earth and the Air Force don't want any of the astronauts returning home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

cj maxx wrote: »
    I’m just starting A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Hope you have your towel handy, just in case.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Funnily enough, I've only recently started "Dirk Gently's holistic detective agency". :D

Also, cj maxx, this might come in handy. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1102

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

New Home wrote: »
    Funnily enough, I've only recently started "Dirk Gently's holistic detective agency". :D

Also, cj maxx, this might come in handy. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1102

The Netflix series is worth a look if you enjoy the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

"Hope and Prospects" - Noam Chomsky at his best, sorting out the facts from the fiction. A must read for anybody on the left or anybody who is not aware of the huge crimes committed by the West.

“This is a classic Chomsky work: a bonfire of myths and lies, sophistries and delusions. Noam Chomsky is an enduring inspiration all over the world to millions, I suspect, for the simple reason that he is a truth-teller on an epic scale. I salute him.” – John Pilger

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I started reading "Peig" again recently. Might take a break from in for the next few weeks and dig out the collected works of Edgar Allan Poe instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

The Secret Political Adviser: The Unredacted Files of The Man in the Room Next Door by Michael Spicer.

I love his videos' on Twitter but unfortunately it did not translate well in book format. I would advise giving this a skip to be honest, it wasn't great.

I see the milkman won another award.

The mind boggles one of worst books I have ever read!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

Witch by Finbar Hawkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I started reading "Peig" again recently. Might take a break from in for the next few weeks and dig out the collected works of Edgar Allan Poe instead.

Snap! Have that next on my pile.

Just finished a joint biography of Samuel Pepys and John Evelyn; also delved into various aspects of life in Restoration London.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

fixXxer wrote: »
    The Netflix series is worth a look if you enjoy the book.
    Only if you go in knowing that it's a very loose adaptation.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Read Champagne Football and Animal Farm recently.

Feels like I've read the same book twice :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Engage

The Fall and Rise of Matt Hampson.

Wonderful book.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The Secret Political Adviser: The Unredacted Files of The Man in the Room Next Door by Michael Spicer.

I love his videos' on Twitter but unfortunately it did not translate well in book format. I would advise giving this a skip to be honest, it wasn't great.

A neighbour of mine lent me the book as we've discussed him before. We both had the same opinion as you. He's really as much of a one trick pony as the likes of those Facebook comedians doing the rounds.
    seligehgit wrote: »
    Engage

The Fall and Rise of Matt Hampson.

Wonderful book.

I've been meaning to get this for a while, Kimmage is the author isn't he?
    It's just prompted me to pick it up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

'Keeper' by Mal Peet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

razorblunt wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine lent me the book as we've discussed him before. We both had the same opinion as you. He's really as much of a one trick pony as the likes of those Facebook comedians doing the rounds.

I've been meaning to get this for a while, Kimmage is the author isn't he?
    It's just prompted me to pick it up now.

He is.

You'll really enjoy it.

A really easy read.

400 odd pages.

Likely have it finished in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

‘Docile’ by trans author K. M. Szpara.

A tough read about “excessive” capitalism, death can’t erase debt so people basically sell themselves to rich folk to be used, and abused, as they see fit.

Too many trigger, and content, warnings to list. Not for the faint hearted.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

Just started The Ratline by Phillip Sands.

Very intriging it has me hooked.

Advertisement