Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting Maps

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

buried wrote: »
    That map showing the sunken land parts of NW Europe is very cool. Makes you wonder was there settlements along the shorelines there, settlements inland a bit that were ultimately drowned into the sea. That's where most settlements set up, along the shorelines. Is this where the ancient folk stories of floods and cities lost underwater come from?

_74567722_map.gif

A prehistoric "Atlantis" in the North Sea may have been abandoned after being hit by a 5m tsunami 8,200 years ago.
    The Storegga slide involved the collapse of some 3,000 cubic km of sediment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭Poochie05

The USA from an Alaskan perspective

6EObEvb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭Poochie05

As we were talking about the catchments map, I came across this of watersheds in the USA. Not sure if it’s been posted already

517926.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Anyone familiar with the New England region of the US will know that there is no shortage of names which are more familiar to many Irish people because of their place in either the UK or indeed Ireland.

Two of these names in particular made me laugh when I first heard about them.
    One is named London Derry, and the other Derry in the state of New Hampshire. (See bottom right hand corner of the map) And they are separated by the Interstate I93 passing between them

Originally Derry was part of Londonderry until it was incorporated as it's own town in 1827. I wonder what the conversation was like when selecting the name of the new town and was there much or any resistance from the Londonderry residents towards the new name.

I have spoken to people living in the towns now and they had no awareness of the significance of the town names back in Ireland (where many ascendants of the town originated from). I kinda hoped they'd have a Springfield - Shelbyville or Pawnee - Eagleton type of relationship between them.

map-of-new-hampshire-cities.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

video-final-1000-1534430872.gif
    Evolving social network of Officer Raymond Piwnicki.

From a 2018 article mapping complaints against cops

About 1,300 out of 30,000 of Chicago’s cops fall into clusters of linked police officers
    Because complaints can list multiple officers at once, it’s possible to determine that more than one cop was present at the scene at the same time.
    The illustration above visualizes such a social network. Dots represent officers, linked by lines of complaints. Most officers register few complaints and sit on the outside of the network. But a small portion of officers at the center of network behave differently than those on the outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

518550.jpeg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

Anyone familiar with the New England region of the US will know that there is no shortage of names which are more familiar to many Irish people because of their place in either the UK or indeed Ireland.

Two of these names in particular made me laugh when I first heard about them.
    One is named London Derry, and the other Derry in the state of New Hampshire. (See bottom right hand corner of the map) And they are separated by the Interstate I93 passing between them

Originally Derry was part of Londonderry until it was incorporated as it's own town in 1827. I wonder what the conversation was like when selecting the name of the new town and was there much or any resistance from the Londonderry residents towards the new name.

I have spoken to people living in the towns now and they had no awareness of the significance of the town names back in Ireland (where many ascendants of the town originated from). I kinda hoped they'd have a Springfield - Shelbyville or Pawnee - Eagleton type of relationship between them.

map-of-new-hampshire-cities.gif
    Seeing the two towns side by side still brings a smile to my Face.
    Thanks for the research you did, I never looked up the towns history’s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Hoop66

It's great for hair too.

Selenium sulphide - Selsun - shampoo is what keeps my dermatitis at bay. The feckers have stopped making it! I'm eking out the last of two bottles the chemist ordered in from Spain at enormous expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Hoop66 wrote: »
    Selenium sulphide - Selsun - shampoo is what keeps my dermatitis at bay. The feckers have stopped making it! I'm eking out the last of two bottles the chemist ordered in from Spain at enormous expense.

Might I suggest ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Those lads in Cork have great hair, mad for the selenium! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

retalivity wrote: »
    It seems in poor taste to refer to a man-made famine that some estimates say killed 40,000,000 people in such a light-hearted way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

retalivity wrote: »

Still, he opened a good restaurant in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

CorkMap.jpg A Corkonian map of the world.

BZYQkNp.jpg

GMC0dH8.png

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The geographical evolution of the word for “ginger.”

11417_54380447_a2976a1a-11e5-4322-b333-57cfdadd1023.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The geographical evolution of the word for “ginger.”
    Interesting to me on several counts; maps, words, languages, useful plants. (And I think it really would take a thousand words to say what this picture does!).

Fogmatic wrote: »
    Interesting to me on several counts; maps, words, languages, useful plants. (And I think it really would take a thousand words to say what this picture does!).
    At first I thought it was about redheads. :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

At first I thought it was about redheads. :o
    A very plausible interpretation! (Though I've never quite understood the connection between redheads and the colour of any ginger I've seen).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Locations in the world prone to tornadoes (in orange shading)

11417_82586810_705b81db-65da-4681-9edc-98aeaeac4e51.jpeg

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1280123795811041287

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Hoop66

A very plausible interpretation! (Though I've never quite understood the connection between redheads and the colour of any ginger I've seen).

A bugbear of mine as an ex-ginger - now a "gringer". Redheads have red hair, gingers have hair the colour of ginger!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Then you've got your strawberry blondes...

New Home wrote: »
    Then you've got your strawberry blondes...
    I don't know where that originated (maybe in the same way the fashion industry has new name for brown every autumn?), but always thought it a bit odd. (Would have thought for instance rose blonde as in rose gold would have been a better description).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I don't know where that originated (maybe in the same way the fashion industry has new name for brown every autumn?), but always thought it a bit odd. (Would have thought for instance rose blonde as in rose gold would have been a better description).

Apparently the use of strawberry in relation to hair colour originated with reference to horses.

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/280065/where-did-the-term-strawberry-blonde-come-from/280147

I really have too much time on my hands!

Hoop66 wrote: »
    A bugbear of mine as an ex-ginger - now a "gringer". Redheads have red hair, gingers have hair the colour of ginger!

Ginger is tan yellow, possibly greenish, there isn't hint of orange or redishness to it unless some exotic mold has taken hold. It is closest to straw blond in colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Map according to the Proclaimers

map-meme-about-the-im-gonna-be-500-miles-song

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Bonobo+and+chimpanzee+locations.gif

the species diverged about 850,000 years when some ancestral chimps crossed south of the Congo, one of the deepest rivers in the world, probably during a particulary dry spell,

Chimps share territory with Gorillas to the east and west, but seldom interact with them

31513553674_aa0992120a_b.jpg

31979154210_a7aed65584_b.jpg

great-apes.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,627 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ We win! :rolleyes:

Mk II (sorry, got my pixels in a twist the first time!).

I'll add the source (if known) if/when I can find my notes, but this is one of the souvenirs (in the form of black & white A4 photocopies) of a happy afternoon 25 years ago in the old British Museum's reading room for maps, a wonderful place (naturally!). It's the Glencolmcille peninsular area, a fraction of a huge map tinted in beautiful, perfectly preserved colours (people came over to get an eyeful when it was opened out).

A local history FAS scheme/course I joined was a chance to speed up research for a book I had in mind on the uses of plants. We could work anywhere most of the time, so I carried on through a holiday in London. I had a pretext for experiencing the map room (decoding the place names in old books on the subject), but it was open to all (unlike the Round Reading Room, which I never managed to wangle a ticket for despite being a Londoner). I assume the maps are now in the new British Library (a great place to spend some time in).
    519267.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

31513553674_aa0992120a_b.jpg

31979154210_a7aed65584_b.jpg

Went to see mountain gorillas in Uganda a few years ago. I knew there are very few left in the wild but this map really gets that across.

^ We win! :rolleyes:

land_mammals_2x.png

The wild animals are in green
    https://xkcd.com/1338/

https://explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/1338:_Land_Mammals - discussion

Have you got a map with the total weight of ants, too?

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    Have you got a map with the total weight of ants, too?

the hover text was "Bacteria still outweigh us thousands to one--and that's not even counting the several pounds of them in your body."

Subterranean bacteria and microbes are thought to outweigh humans by between 245 and 385 times. Humans probably make up less than 1% of life on Earth by carbon weight.

Not quite a map

5614_d47f_960.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the hover text was "Bacteria still outweigh us thousands to one--and that's not even counting the several pounds of them in your body."

well that is my excuse for putting on weight sorted out.

That's heartbreaking.

An 1837 traffic survey, one of 16 historical document copies in a folder (Ireland from Maps) that I found in the mid 90s in a visitor/interpretive/heritage centre shop. National Library of Ireland publication (1980), ISBN 0 907328 00 8.
    519319.jpg
    (Could easily post cropped bits of it if anyone wanted to zoom in somewhere).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

well that is my excuse for putting on weight sorted out.

I'm not fat, just riddled with bacteria :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

united_states_of_apathy.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

language_map_of_europe.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The Electoral College system would account for a lot of that rather than apathy tbh, most states are locked in so a lot of citizens in them wont bother voting for a foregone conclusion and its all down to the swing states. If they switched to a straight popular vote system a lot of those supposedly apathetic people would be straight down to the voting booth.
    Gaspode wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

Gaspode wrote: »

So does that mean I'm the President?

• Advertisement
Advertisement