Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Irish sitcoms.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

There was one that aired in the mid 90's. A "comedy" about three priests living on an island. Think Pat Short appeared in it. Dreadful. How anyone thought it would work I do not know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

There was one that aired in the mid 90's. A "comedy" about three priests living on an island. Think Pat Short appeared in it. Dreadful. How anyone thought it would work I do not know.

tenor.gif?itemid=14811482

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Rhythmics

Fergus's Wedding
    Roose Bolton and his fiancee preparing for their wedding with the local priest, while trying to hide the fact that they're swingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Had an overqualified cast.

The kid from 'The Butcher Boy' started in it also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

.anon. wrote: »
    tenor.gif?itemid=14811482

That guy, Maurice O'Donoghue, was my english teacher for 3 years of secondary school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

This is a UK one, so doesn't count, strictly speaking but has an Irish main character: Tommy Tiernan, years ago, had his own sitcom called 'Small Potatoes'. It featured him and the British-Indian comic (who was 'Goodness Gracious Me' and lots of other stuff) as two lads working in a video shop. In the first episode he goes back to his hometown to visit his school or something - strange show. On late at night on BBC 2. I think that they produced one season and that was it. I'm not sure Tiernan did many other acting gigs between this show and Derry Girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

El Tarangu wrote: »
    This is a UK one, so doesn't count, strictly speaking but has an Irish main character: Tommy Tiernan, years ago, had his own sitcom called 'Small Potatoes'. It featured him and the British-Indian comic (who was 'Goodness Gracious Me' and lots of other stuff) as two lads working in a video shop. In the first episode he goes back to his hometown to visit his school or something - strange show. On late at night on BBC 2. I think that they produced one season and that was it. I'm not sure Tiernan did many other acting gigs between this show and Derry Girls.

I remember that..Think I just saw the first episode, a mad guy coming into the shop claiming vampires were under his bed (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

El Tarangu wrote: »
    This is a UK one, so doesn't count, strictly speaking but has an Irish main character: .....

Aha! I get an in. I give you:
    "Never Mind the Quality, Feel the Width".

Only quote I can remember from it is :"ah holy St Susan of Sallynoggin".

Featured Joe Lynch, long before he started putting sh!te on eggs and selling them as free range in Glenroe. It was on BBC or ITV in the 60's .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I remember The Roaring Twenties, seemed like it was only half-finished, might have had some potential if they spent a bit more time on it and didn't rush it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Soupy Norman.
    A Polish soap opera overdubbed by Mario Rosenstock.
    Gas craic it was.

Whoever in RTE commissioned that and let it go out on air is a legend. I can't imagine the description would pass the test in an RTE boardroom nowadays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭George White

Yes, it was weird to see stalwarts like Eamon Morrrissey in it.. I seem to remember Jon Kenny singing a song about Tom And Nora (of the schoolbooks).
    Janet and John, actually

Warwick Davis was in it as the undertaker.
    Sean McGinley!
    Maria Doyle Kennedy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭George White

Aha! I get an in. I give you:
    "Never Mind the Quality, Feel the Width".

Only quote I can remember from it is :"ah holy St Susan of Sallynoggin".

Featured Joe Lynch, long before he started putting sh!te on eggs and selling them as free range in Glenroe. It was on BBC or ITV in the 60's .

ITV.
    Featured the great John Bluthal, later Frank in Vicar of Dibley, but one of the greatest comic actors ever. Worked with Milligan a lot, on Q. Also in Superman 3 as pisa vendor, the 5th Element and Hail, Caesar! Had a long, globetrotting career.

Lynch seemed to constantly ref Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown in his stuff. In the special of Chorlton and the Wheelies, he mentions Doon Layoragh for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

There was a comedy on RTE in the 90s called Finbar's Class (or something like that). Think it might have even got a second season. It was pretty dreadful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Morgans

There was a good mockumentary that was on setanta about 12 years ago maybe. Main character was a simple lad in his twenties who supported/volunteered for what looked like a Leinster senior League side. He had the Brent delusions of grandeur thing going for it. Had several decent episodes before running out of steam. One series. Cannot remember the name of it but the Irish comedy that made me laugh the most in the last 20 years. Must try internet for help on the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The same makers were behind both. Paths To Freedon was one of the funniest things RTE have done. Fergus Wedding came afterwards, I was a bit underwhelmed by it at the time, maybe was expecting to much after PTF.

pretty sure Fergus,S Wedding came first , both starred michael mcElhatton

Morgans wrote: »
    There was a good mockumentary that was on setanta about 12 years ago maybe. Main character was a simple lad in his twenties who supported/volunteered for what looked like a Leinster senior League side. He had the Brent delusions of grandeur thing going for it. Had several decent episodes before running out of steam. One series. Cannot remember the name of it but the Irish comedy that made me laugh the most in the last 20 years. Must try internet for help on the details.

Twas called Fran

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭All in all

Trivia - about a quiz team.

Aoibhinn McGinnitty was in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

TG4 did C-U Burn which of you dont mind subtitles is really funny. There was just one series made but it's often been repeated.

They also showed a Mr Bean type silent comedy called Fear An Phoist which was just awful.
    They did a good one called Barney Bunion as well. About a private eye in Connemara.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    pretty sure Fergus,S Wedding came first , both starred michael mcElhatton

No Paths to Freedom was first. There was hype for Fergus's Wedding as a result. Late late chat show promo etc. After week 2, all hype was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

No Paths to Freedom was first. There was hype for Fergus's Wedding as a result. Late late chat show promo etc. After week 2, all hype was gone.
    PTF had a full length film as well.
    I think I remember it doing quite well at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

The Roaring Twenties. I have never seen worse television.

Like Hillsborough and 9/11 had a child

• Registered Users Posts: 28,089 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

All in all wrote: »

I enjoyed that one. Wasnt a pure sitcom as such more of a funny slice of life.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Would Podge & Rodge: A Scare At Bedtime count as a sitcom? It wasn't in the usual format of a sitcom but I used to find it hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

All in all wrote: »

I remember seeing a few minutes of that. The company that do a lot of the mass broadcasts were involved, so a lot of it was filmed in Maynooth where they're based. One of the character's houses was the showhouse in our estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

That was Fran, there were two series of it

Shown on Setanta and then repeated on TV3

I liked it a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I remember seeing a few minutes of that. The company that do a lot of the mass broadcasts were involved, so a lot of it was filmed in Maynooth where they're based. One of the character's houses was the showhouse in our estate.

I enjoyed that, the pub where the quiz was held was the Celbridge Manor bar(while it was closed for renovations).There were a few scenes filmed around the Main St. too. It was light enough, and the characters were good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The Mulk wrote: »
    I enjoyed that, the pub where the quiz was held was the Celbridge Manor bar(while it was closed for renovations).There were a few scenes filmed around the Main St. too. It was light enough, and the characters were good

The main guy, with the distinctive face. I seem to remember him having a cameo in Paths To Freedom as prisioner who has an altercation with Rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

The main guy, with the distinctive face. I seem to remember him having a cameo in Paths To Freedom as prisioner who has an altercation with Rats.

David Pearse?
    His bio has him down as 'Strokes' in Spin the Bottle, so you're probably right.

Turns out Aisling Bea was in Trivia too, I can't remember her in it

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1720019/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Had an overqualified cast.
    I managed to get the series on bootleg DVD over the lockdown, and god it is strange.
    The gay son in it is obsessed with blacking up as famed singers - a running joke they drop after two eps - he does Bassey and Ella Fitzgerald. There's non-diagetic musical numbers, at one point Jon Kenny performs There Once Was a Man from the Pyjama Game.
    The youngest daughter hs no character, and then basically turns into Lisa Simpson towards the end.
    A lot of it seeped into Mrs. Brown. Bronagh Gallagher's character had a different job every ep, like Dermot Brown. But the difference is Gallagher is a funny-bones performer. And even in bad material, she still managed to make the most of it.

It did the opposite to what Linehan and Matthews wanted, which is the theme song is this very Oirish Sharon Shannon-performed trad thing, while with Ted, they wanted something that wasn't trad, and very sitcom.

I kinda want to see this now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Wasnt a comedy.

Wasn't anything TBF.

Advertisement