Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Irish sitcoms.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

What a totally depressing list of horsesh1t, for a country with a great sense of humor, you would have to wonder how this crap gets commissioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Wasnt a comedy.

I don't know... I watched it recently and there's a bit where Scobie Donohue dives into a canal to save an old lady in the big climax. And lands, in about 2 foot of water. I laughed a lot.

"Ya risked yur life dihhhvin into da waaher to save me mah Scobes"
    Heroic face "Ah shur stoppit, anyone wouldda done it"

I recall liking Sarah and Steve, though someone will probably tell me how terrible it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

What a totally depressing list of horsesh1t, for a country with a great sense of humor, you would have to wonder how this crap gets commissioned?

It's something I've often wondered myself. How we just (mostly) never seem to master tv comedy in comparison to Britain. I think a lot of it had to do with the rigid censorship and Church control that was in place till recent decades. Any genuinely innovative comics had to go abroad, Dave Allen for example. The Btitish have a long tradition of satire. I think maybe our stringent libel laws might have a part in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭George White

mloc123 wrote: »
    I kinda want to see this now

Wrote notes in a daze of shock and surprise.
    It begins with Ruth McCabe singing, " you ate all pies, you ate all the pies, you fat bastard, you ate all the pies."

They live in a freezing cold house with no electricity.
    There is a mix of Northern and South accents.
    Begins with mother's sixtieth birthday
    "hailstones - french bastards - testing stuff in the sea, burning sheep"
    Broangh Gallagher - too good for this. She was in Pulp fiction, you know.
    winter fuel is actually burning wooden furniture,
    A poor painting of the queen, "no happy queen but a glum virgin""the crying virgin"
    clash of acting styles - d'unbelievables don't do well in the background
    "Van morrison" is "grumpy bitch"
    The exteriors look older than 2000 - father ted-style cuts to burning sheep
    mother falling through the roof - Ruth McCabe proves herself extremely capable, despite given Mrs. Doyle schtick

Mother practices being dead, McCabe relishing her material too far, oversexed, too much gravitas, buried in chelsea home kit, away strip, keep the blue flag flying.
    Characters singing Ken Dodd's Tears- while virgin cries
    "in the end, i typed up on the screen - sent it electronically"
    warwick davis as undertaker, Basil Hodge
    Damien Kearney as postman
    deirdre o'kane
    alistair mcgowan as john motson
    Set in Tully McFadden.
    rita haill
    "asta sighvats"
    Bobby a schoolteacher - Deirdre o'Kane his mad ex

Illiterate Jon Kenny- "I never see the word bargain in the oxfam shop".
    pick up rocks, sulk the milk out
    "thousands starving in kilburn"

st. mungo's school for derelicts - "dear rita, been in love with the back of you head"
    Kennedy the gay son cries, "my vocal cords were black" - Billy Carter proves he is better - Jeffrey Holland quality
    "young man who grinds the poridge", "hair reminds of hairy boiling water, suffering from alopecia "

Deirdre O'Kane as a random assasin/spurned lover.
    "what's the use in being queer if nobody knows about it"
    Lost son, Nevan Finnegan as ludovic Kennedy- ludovic - mick hucknall's frigigng love bastard ("I thought he looked like Charlie Drake")
    hamish Mccoll and Sean Foley as the soldiers.

Damien Fitzgerald - the unseen 7th member, a footballer for Chelsea - "Damien's chelsea custards"
    "Oliver Mannion as mick maccattackney"
    "john brobbey as tennessee" - the black soldier.
    Jon Kenny's character John F started work wiping sweat off a blacksmith age six - they took the Janet and John books off the curriculm- there were no lesbians in them so they became outdated, so they have to go to Dublin to find a book in the series to educate John F.
    a dealer in dublin to get the book
    Eddie Nestor from the Real McCoy as an African, Naquila Mambembo
    Cast include Max Clifford-groomed Anglo-Irish pop teenybopper Declan Galbraith, Billy mulligan. Martin mulligan, Ciaran Owen, Liam Donaghy, Anthony O'Reilley
    leaving the sois cake -"can't bear putting on weight after i die"
    Shipping news is seen as a load of craic
    Fair City's Vivienne, Helen Norton as lollipop lady

It begins with Ruth McCabe singing, " you ate all pies, you ate all the pies, you fat bastard, you ate all the pies."

A poor painting of the queen, "no happy queen but a glum virgin""the crying virgin"
    mother falling through the roof - Ruth McCabe proves herself extremely capable, despite given Mrs. Doyle schtick

Mother practices being dead, McCabe relishing her material too far, oversexed, too much gravitas, buried in chelsea home kit, away strip, keep the blue flag flying.
    deirdre o'kane
    Set in Tully McFadden.
    rita haill
    "asta sighvats"

st. mungo's school for derelicts - "dear rita, been in love with the back of you head"
    Kennedy the gay son cries, "my vocal cords were black" - Billy Carter proves he is better - Jeffrey Holland quality
    "young man who grinds the poridge", "hair reminds of hairy boiling water, suffering from alopecia "

Lost son, Nevan Finnegan as ludovic Kennedy- ludovic - mick hucknall's frigigng love bastard ("I thought he looked like Charlie Drake")

Damien Fitzgerald - the unseen 7th member, a footballer for Chelsea - "Damien's chelsea custards"
    Jon Kenny's character John F started work wiping sweat off a blacksmith age six - they took the Janet and John books off the curriculm- there were no lesbians in them so they became outdated, so they have to go to Dublin to find a book in the series to educate John F.
    Cast include Max Clifford-groomed Anglo-Irish pop teenybopper Declan Galbraith, Billy mulligan. Martin mulligan, Ciaran Owen, Liam Donaghy, Anthony O'Reilley

I'd managed to forget most of that in the twenty years since I'd seen it , thanks for the bad memories lol. Didn't the gay son get off with the black soldier while both dressed in animal costumes?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

There was a comedy on RTE in the 90s called Finbar's Class (or something like that). Think it might have even got a second season. It was pretty dreadful though.

Friend of mine was in that (despite being in his mid twenties played some sort of 'cool schoolkid' guy who drove around in a convertible,) we still slag him off over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Cienciano wrote: »
    Whoever in RTE commissioned that and let it go out on air is a legend. I can't imagine the description would pass the test in an RTE boardroom nowadays

It may have been one of the accountants as there was little to no production costs. Sure stick it on pure late be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭George White

I'd managed to forget most of that in the twenty years since I'd seen it , thanks for the bad memories lol. Didn't the gay son get off with the black soldier while both dressed in animal costumes?
    Yeah.
    Sorry for the misspellings. I watched it in a state of WTF.

The Mulk wrote: »
    David Pearse?
    His bio has him down as 'Strokes' in Spin the Bottle, so you're probably right.

Turns out Aisling Bea was in Trivia too, I can't remember her in it

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1720019/
    He was in Vikings as well , he gets a lot of work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

El Tarangu wrote: »
    There was a sitcom 10 years' ago about a load of people living in a houseshare in Rathmines or something called 'The Roaring Twenties' - apparently it wasn't very good. Anyway, there was some online discussion (on Boards, maybe?) that was generally slating it; one of the producers jumped in and got involved in loads of name-calling with the other posters - very unedifying.

Unlike so much awful RTE output of yesteryear, this one has been preserved for public consumption by Youtube.

• Advertisement

The worst of it was I somehow mixed the Hardy Bucks up with it and avoided watching that for years , which was a crime as HB is a brilliant show.

Ah man , he switched back to camera work by the looks of it , hope things worked out for him .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Unlike so much awful RTE output of yesteryear, this one has been preserved for public consumption by Youtube.

I've never seen it before. Christ that is bad. Peepshow wannabe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I've never seen it before. Christ that is bad. Peepshow wannabe.

What has me flabbergasted isn't how horrendous it is. It's that someone actually commissioned this garbage and is probably still employed by RTE

Remember when RTE commisioned a series of comedy pilots circa 2008 which were supposed to be developed as potential series? Only saw the one by Dead Cat Bounce, something about businessmen playing golf. Forced surrealism and unexplained mixture of Irish, English and American accents. One of the characters seemed to be a carbon copy of Swiss Tony, down to the hair and moustache.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

ShyMets wrote: »
    What has me flabbergasted isn't how horrendous it is. It's that someone actually commissioned this garbage and is probably still employed by RTE
    RTE is a closed shop they say. You won't get in without good connections but once in, you have an easy, high paying job for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Morgans

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Friend of mine was in that (despite being in his mid twenties played some sort of 'cool schoolkid' guy who drove around in a convertible,) we still slag him off over it.

You are doing God's work.

Finbars Class mentioned a few times, dont think I saw it at the time.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KillianM2/status/1326529282869403648

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's something I've often wondered myself. How we just (mostly) never seem to master tv comedy in comparison to Britain. I think a lot of it had to do with the rigid censorship and Church control that was in place till recent decades. Any genuinely innovative comics had to go abroad, Dave Allen for example. The Btitish have a long tradition of satire. I think maybe our stringent libel laws might have a part in it too.

I think it's to do with larger population, more of a pool of talent rather than same tired old faces and usual favouritism/nepotism.

A selection of tv channels willing to take a punt on newcomers instead of just one, as was the case for many years.

Universities are a big help in getting like minded people together, more of an emphasis on am dram and such societies there. More comedy clubs so people can hone their talent (comedy clubs were unheard of here until relatively recently), places like Blackpool which have no Irish equivalent...whether that's a good or bad thing is moot.

To be fair, British tv comedy has more than it's fair share of lame duck shows, but that's inevitable.

Funding and money. Most everything in RTE apart from "stars" take home pay done on the cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Surprised nobody has mentioned This Is Nightlive. It, like a few things RTE has produced was a poor mans version of a funny UK show The Day Today.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Is_Nightlive

It was baaaaaad. Like the recent turd that is Finding Joy every joke fall flat as a pancake.

• Advertisement

This thread sparked a long forgotten memory about Molloy. There was a dream sequence where Jim Nortons character is being whipped by his mother in law who I think was played by Pat Leavy from Fair City, she was dressed in dominatrix gear and stockings. I swear I'm not making this up. I had a vague recollection of this scene up to now but thought it might have been Anna Manahan in Leave It To Mrs O Brien but now I know for sure what it's from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Anyone remember 'Nothing to it" about young employed twentysomethings living in Rathmines? Late eighties. Pauline McLynn was in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

This thread sparked a long forgotten memory about Molloy. There was a dream sequence where Jim Nortons character is being whipped by his mother in law who I think was played by Pat Leavy from Fair City, she was dressed in dominatrix gear and stockings. I swear I'm not making this up. I had a vague recollection of this scene up to now but thought it might have been Anna Manahan in Leave It To Mrs O Brien but now I know for sure what it's from.

Careful now, H. You’re “revealing” a lot there, what if it turns out that there was no such scene? Best keep that one to yourself.

I know a lad who obsessed with an episode of, what he calls, “forced transvestism” perpetrated on Stephen in Glenroe. You know the lad who looked like a Scottish Terrier?

He claims 2 young ladies “accost” him in a car and put make up on him. I think he said something about a feather boa around him too. There may well have been some moustache “play” involved.

The whole thing smacked of deranged fantasy, the way he’d go on. Would never just let it go. Don’t see the guy too much anymore but from speaking to others that know him he still brings it up. Just between us, I think the whole thing brings “him” up. If you know what I mean.

So be careful, do your research and try not to get too “sucked in” by this BDSM sequence. Good luck and stay safe.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

deirdre o'kane
    Set in Tully McFadden.
    rita haill
    "asta sighvats"

I am now looking online to buy a copy of this :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

Soupy Norman.
    A Polish soap opera overdubbed by Mario Rosenstock.
    Gas craic it was.

Soupy Norman was great, but was it not created by the Apres Match guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Real Life wrote: »
    Soupy Norman was great, but was it not created by the Apres Match guys?

Yes, one of them, Barry Murphy.... along with writer and former stand-up, Mark Doherty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Zeek12 wrote: »
    I don't but I really should. I was a kid living in two-channel land in 1989!

Loved Jim Norton/Bishop Brennan in Fr. Ted. He's my favourite character in it.

His best turn was in Deception though, Ireland's greatest unintentional sitcom courtesy of TV3.

https://img2.thejournal.ie/inline/774075/original/?width=630&version=774075

saabsaab wrote: »
    Anyone remember 'Nothing to it" about young employed twentysomethings living in Rathmines? Late eighties. Pauline McLynn was in it.

Yes, it was technically a series offering advice to unemployed young people but shot in sitcom fromat. It was way funnier than any of the conventional comedy RTE was serving up at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Does anyone here remember Stew from approximately 16 years ago on RTE2? It was a comedy sketch show as opposed to a sitcom. It featured Pat "Eoin McLove" McDonnell.
    Some of the sketches were really hit and miss such as the farmer woman who thought her cows were leering at her and the posh guy reminiscing about pleasant past events whenever he stumbled upon vomit or dog turds on the pavement.
    I think it lasted about 2 seasons before the plug was pulled on it.

Also there was Your Bad Self from approx 2010, another comedy sketch show with Michael McElhatton and Domhnaill Gleeson. I remember the South African Lady sketches which made very little sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Does anyone here remember Stew from approximately 10 years ago on RTE2? It was a comedy sketch show as opposed to a sitcom. It featured Michael McElhatton and Patrick "Eoin McLove" McDonnell.
    Some of the sketches were really hit and miss such as the farmer woman who thought her cows were leering at her, the posh guy reminiscing about pleasant past events whenever he stumbled upon vomit or dog turds on the pavement, and the South African Lady sketches which made very little sense.
    I think it lasted about 2 seasons before the plug was pulled on it.

I dont say this lightly because I watch a lot of crap tv, but this was the absolute worst pile of shi.t that has even been made

Advertisement