Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Irish sitcoms.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Does anyone here remember Stew from approximately 16 years ago on RTE2? It was a comedy sketch show as opposed to a sitcom. It featured Pat "Eoin McLove" McDonnell.
    Some of the sketches were really hit and miss such as the farmer woman who thought her cows were leering at her and the posh guy reminiscing about pleasant past events whenever he stumbled upon vomit or dog turds on the pavement.
    I think it lasted about 2 seasons before the plug was pulled on it.

This was shocking bad.
    Also there was Your Bad Self from approx 2010, another comedy sketch show with Michael McElhatton and Domhnaill Gleeson. I remember the South African Lady sketches which made very little sense.

This I remember as being funnier - Amy Huberman starred (and I think, wrote it).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

El Tarangu wrote: »

This I remember as being funnier - Amy Huberman starred (and I think, wrote it).

I thought that this sketch was funny enough - the actor playing the driver, even though he isn't in it much, is pretty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

saabsaab wrote: »
    Anyone remember 'Nothing to it" about young employed twentysomethings living in Rathmines? Late eighties. Pauline McLynn was in it.

Wrote a piece on it and uploaded clip
    https://wheresgrandad.wordpress.com/2012/04/19/nothing-to-it/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,436 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Does anyone here remember Stew from approximately 16 years ago on RTE2? It was a comedy sketch show as opposed to a sitcom. It featured Pat "Eoin McLove" McDonnell.
    Some of the sketches were really hit and miss such as the farmer woman who thought her cows were leering at her and the posh guy reminiscing about pleasant past events whenever he stumbled upon vomit or dog turds on the pavement.
    I think it lasted about 2 seasons before the plug was pulled on it.

Also there was Your Bad Self from approx 2010, another comedy sketch show with Michael McElhatton and Domhnaill Gleeson. I remember the South African Lady sketches which made very little sense.

I remember Stew alright, an Irish take on The Fast Show, Harry Enfield and Big Train style sketch shows. Mildly amusing at times, I'd rate it above Naked Camera and Anonymous anyway that were usually on the same bill on Monday nights on Network 2.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I remember Stew alright, an Irish take on The Fast Show, Harry Enfield and Big Train style sketch shows. Mildly amusing at times, I'd rate it above Naked Camera and Anonymous anyway that were usually on the same bill on Monday nights on Network 2.

There was Bull Island before that too.

Pretty average at best from what I remember.

• Advertisement

I hated Stew but think Paul Tylak is rubbish. AKA Ashti the Kurdish refugee in Fair City.

I remember Molloy but only watched one episode. I was excited as I thought it might be connected to the Beckett novel (and Waiting For Godot was on the Leaving Cert English syllabus for us in the class of ‘89).

I endured Extra! Extra! in the run-up to Christmas 1993. Poor show,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Didn't know that any clips still existed. Edgy for RTE at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,873 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

David Kelly and Sean Hughes joined forces for the forgettable Signal Box in late 90s or early 00s(?)
    It was supposed to be "surreal" comedy, but it was actually shít comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Not a sitcom but The End (?) on a Friday and Saturday night during the mid 90s was a godsend for those of us in 2 channel land who would listen on in jealousy as our posh friends with "the channels" told us of Channel 4 shows they would watch.

Telling our Irish teacher to watch it for the Peig cartoons and almost getting a beating the following Monday after we were told it was sacrilegious was something I wont forget in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I didn't think Stew was as bad as some here are making out, hit and miss but had its moments. Funniest sketch I remember was Patrick McConnell as this paranoid tinfoil hatter type who's in the pub with his friend. Friend tells him his doctor has told him he has terminal cancer. Paranoid lad goes "if your doctor tells you you're gonna go make sure you bring the bastard with you".

• Advertisement

There was Bull Island before that too.

Pretty average at best from what I remember.

As political satire it was toothless. The only thing I found funny was when it did a pisstake of Paddy O Gorman, of O Gormans people about the way he comes onto young women he interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

As political satire it was toothless. The only thing I found funny was when it did a pisstake of Paddy O Gorman, of O Gormans people about the way he comes onto young women he interviews
    The State Of Us was a great satire. Celebs from RTE and FFG getting it in the neck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

David Kelly and Sean Hughes joined forces for the forgettable Signal Box in late 90s or early 00s(?)
    It was supposed to be "surreal" comedy, but it was actually shít comedy.

This was a remake of a 60's 'sitcom'/sketch from RTE

https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/image/0024/016.html

I had high hopes, I was disappointed:(

The Mulk wrote: »
    This was a remake of a 60's 'sitcom'/sketch from RTE

https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/image/0024/016.html

I had high hopes, I was disappointed:(
    The remake was around 1995/96. Open to correction but I think it was a scene for scene remake based on the old script. The 60s original had been wiped.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Wouldn't classify it as a sitcom but The Modest Adventures Of David O'Doherty was good.

The remake was around 1995/96. Open to correction but I think it was a scene for scene remake based on the old script. The 60s original had been wiped.

I wonder has the 95 version gone too? RTE used to wipe the tapes a lot back then to save storage cost etc.

I wonder has the 95 version gone too? RTE used to wipe the tapes a lot back then to save storage cost etc.

I think the practise of wiping was more 60s and 70s but you wouldn't know with RTE. I'd wager it's still in their archives but cant see it being repeated or getting a dvd release anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Wouldn't classify it as a sitcom but The Modest Adventures Of David O'Doherty was good.

Okay, I lasted until 1.21 - what was it about as it looks a pile of ****e?

I think the practise of wiping was more 60s and 70s but you wouldn't know with RTE. I'd wager it's still in their archives but cant see it being repeated or getting a dvd release anytime soon.

Had a chat with an RTE man some time ago who would know and he said that this was still the practice (mid 80s amyway)

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Okay, I lasted until 1.21 - what was it about as it looks a pile of ****e?

A bit harsh. Hit and miss.

• Advertisement

I remember The Roaring Twenties, seemed like it was only half-finished, might have had some potential if they spent a bit more time on it and didn't rush it out.

I missed it first time round so watched it today. Christ it was bad. Not a single actor in it appeared professional.

Story had some promise but it really did look like it was a demo tape thrown up by a few mates with an idea

Had a chat with an RTE man some time ago who would know and he said that this was still the practice (mid 80s amyway)

Depends on the type of programme. They stopped junking a lot of children's programmes quite early as they wanted to keep repeating them - build up enough for continuous syndication - e.g. Bosco.

For their 40th anniversary, there were a few documentaries which had tantalising clips of old dramas and plays - obviously still existed but RTE had zero interest in marketing or trying to release DVDs which was the optimum time to do in mid 2000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,436 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Loving your blog, thanks for the links, just watched Clash of the Ash and I'm well impressed.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Depends on the type of programme. They stopped junking a lot of children's programmes quite early as they wanted to keep repeating them - build up enough for continuous syndication - e.g. Bosco.

For their 40th anniversary, there were a few documentaries which had tantalising clips of old dramas and plays - obviously still existed but RTE had zero interest in marketing or trying to release DVDs which was the optimum time to do in mid 2000s.

Fair enough some were saved but maybe like clips of old Late Late shows that's all that's left, few complete programmes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

‘Paddywhackery’ was great, on TG4. Paddy Courtney is a lad trying to get grant money for setting up a business “as gaeilge”.

The ubiquitous Fionnula Flanagan played a, sort of, ghost of Peig Sayers.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

RTE should do a show around Foil, Arms & Hogg. Not everyone's cup of tea but they are popular. Maybe a sitcom about city slickers dropping out of their high powered lives and going green 'down the country' a kind of Fr Ted with wellies?
    Make the countryside sexy again..

Loving your blog, thanks for the links, just watched Clash of the Ash and I'm well impressed.

you're very welcome, glad you like it. Great to be able to share what's on the videotapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Not sitcoms but RTE have all sorts of interesting stuff in their archives such as "The Year of the French", "The Burke Enigma" - an early crime series; also "Making the Cut" and "D.D.U". This is a response I got a while back - it's no wonder the organisation is bankrupt between this sort of nonsense and Forbes, Duffy, Tubridy and Darcy's ridiculous fees.

Hi

Unfortunately with most drama programmes there is copyright and legal restrictions, either because it was a co-production and RTE don’t own full copyright or that contract between actors and productions were never settled on.

So unfortunately none of the below are available to purchase as once of copies.

I’m sorry I couldn’t help further.

RTE should do a show around Foil, Arms & Hogg. Not everyone's cup of tea but they are popular. Maybe a sitcom about city slickers dropping out of their high powered lives and going green 'down the country' a kind of Fr Ted with wellies?
    Make the countryside sexy again..

Obvious Green Acres ripoff.

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Not sitcoms but RTE have all sorts of interesting stuff in their archives such as "The Year of the French", "The Burke Enigma" - an early crime series; also "Making the Cut" and "D.D.U". This is a response I got a while back - it's no wonder the organisation is bankrupt between this sort of nonsense and Forbes, Duffy, Tubridy and Darcy's ridiculous fees.

Hi

Unfortunately with most drama programmes there is copyright and legal restrictions, either because it was a co-production and RTE don’t own full copyright or that contract between actors and productions were never settled on.

So unfortunately none of the below are available to purchase as once of copies.

I’m sorry I couldn’t help further.

They'll probably gather dust for a century before eventual release, that is if the tapes aren't degraded and rendered useless first. Typical RTE learned helplessness.

Advertisement