Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stealing milk. MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

auspicious wrote: »
    We can digress and debate upon resources and carbon emissions, which by the way are in no way insignificant, it's obvious with today's information, but the fact remains that the mother is very much distressed and suffers as a consequence of the purchase by consumers of a litre of milk in a shop or supermarket etc. when alternatives are available and more than suffice.
    Causing unnecessary distress for an uneccessary product is not justifiable. If it is please convince me.

If you got the chance, would you drink human breast milk from a willing donor who hadn't been distressed while making the donation? Most people agree that babies should be breast-fed as it is healthier, but the idea of an adult human drinking human breast milk is repulsive, more so that drinking milk from an adult cow. That's also more social programming, even though you'd think it'd be natural that human milk would be better for humans. I googled 'human breast milk for sale' and the first hit I got was on adverts.ie where somebody in Tallaght was selling her breast milk. Would you have tried it? :D

Oat 'milk' and nut 'milk' may be nutritional but most of those nutrients are added, so you might as well get smelly-sock-milk and fortify that with vitamins and calcium! I don't drink tea or coffee but I'd imagine that these fake milks make the drink taste different. I've tasted them myself as a drink and wasn't impressed. They were just about acceptable in cereal, with the flavour from the cereals hiding the taste somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Was someone on the radio a good while back saying that she sells her breast milk to body builders or guys who work out serious, apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

A friend of mine, a dairy farmer, had his mother spend five weeks in hospital after a cow attacked and crushed his mother protecting her newborn calf.

Now that is a very stupid person.

She's a mother to a dairy farmer and did something this stupid.

Fake news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I never steal milk, I always pay for it at the checkout.

Nut "milk" is watery shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

See my post after that, it's exactly the problem, if one wanted a vegan world, we've bred and built something that isn't compatible and will result in animal suffering were that to change somehow.

Fair enough, but , it's your choice ,if you decide to become vegan or whatever , it won't change the world immediately... Even if many many started swapping it would result in a gslow radual reduction in domestic animal numbers .

I'll stick with dairy ..its not all perfect , and could definitely do better , but it's not anywhere near as bad as is portrayed ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

There is no loss of vitamins from abstaining from the cruelty of milk. Calcium is more bioavailable from other food sources.
    A friend of mine, a dairy farmer, had his mother spend five weeks in hospital after a cow attacked and crushed his mother protecting her newborn calf. The bond is strong and begins in pregnancy, as in any mammal.
    They don't deserve the distress. The milk as in any mammal is designed for the baby. No-one else.

Can you explain what the cruelty is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

But if we reach beyond human suffering, as in animal suffering, perpetrated by humans , would you not think we would be more wont to consider our differential treatment of all.
    "The measure of a civilization is how it treats its weakest members.”
    We can't countenance a fair worldview if we hold discriminatory values.

You keep rabbiting on about suffering. If a dairy animal is "suffering", there won't be any milk, they will go dry.
    Can you explain to us then, how we can get all this milk out of "suffering" cows?
    You do claim to be quite the authority on the subject, despite being told ad nauseum that only healthy, content animals will thrive and produce.

Hehe nut milk...

The resources to raise cows both water and food is insane, especially when we are exporting most of it and paying through our hole in carbon tax emissions to support it.
    The water argument doesn't cut it in Ireland maybe in the US where they are draining an aquifer, in case you haven't noticed we have an abundance of water in Ireland that is constantly recycled. As for the food, cows eat lots of grass any supplements from crops is always the by product of the crop that's fed that would otherwise go to waste. Your knowledge of livestock is very limited and all you are doing is believing vegan propaganda.

• Advertisement

s1ippy wrote: »
    Presumably the best solution then would be to grow predominantly oats instead of keeping grass for cattle, because it's possible to produce milk from oats.

Can you elaborate on this, how are you going to grow a tillage crop successfully in the majority of irish soils?

Using animals to convert grass (carbohydrate that humans can't digest) to high quality protein (that humans can digest) is the most environmentally way of providing this protein.
    Do you understand the damage done to the environment by tilling soils? ........I sincerely doubt it.

This is just another one of "your" threads.
    Lies and disinformation are generally the make up of them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Markcheese wrote: »
    Fair enough, but , it's your choice ,if you decide to become vegan or whatever , it won't change the world immediately... Even if many many started swapping it would result in a gslow radual reduction in domestic animal numbers .

I'll stick with dairy ..its not all perfect , and could definitely do better , but it's not anywhere near as bad as is portrayed ...

Agreed entirely, nothings perfect. Meat and dairy will continue a long time yet I think and I'll most likely be consuming it happily until I die and become plant food and so the cycle continues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Ah....help.....vegans are invading After Hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Markcheese wrote: »

Already guilty by choice of username

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ah....help.....vegans are invading After Hours!

Who knew this was anti-vegan propaganda :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

This thread brings up some lovely mammaries...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Vegans and their agenda

1-ho-ZYy-X153w53-L9oc-Az-Q.gif

I don’t like drinking milk but people like the OP make me want to start. They’ve no idea.

If only there was a dedicated forum where they could vegan **** together, oh wait...

If you got the chance, would you drink human breast milk from a willing donor who hadn't been distressed while making the donation? Most people agree that babies should be breast-fed as it is healthier, but the idea of an adult human drinking human breast milk is repulsive, more so that drinking milk from an adult cow. That's also more social programming, even though you'd think it'd be natural that human milk would be better for humans. I googled 'human breast milk for sale' and the first hit I got was on adverts.ie where somebody in Tallaght was selling her breast milk. Would you have tried it? :D

Oat 'milk' and nut 'milk' may be nutritional but most of those nutrients are added, so you might as well get smelly-sock-milk and fortify that with vitamins and calcium! I don't drink tea or coffee but I'd imagine that these fake milks make the drink taste different. I've tasted them myself as a drink and wasn't impressed. They were just about acceptable in cereal, with the flavour from the cereals hiding the taste somewhat.
    Jaysus, drinking milk from lactating women and drinking nut milk are you sure you are on the right forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Nothing wrong with cows milk unless your lactose intolerant.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,168 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Why do vegans bring out the arsehole in so many, otherwise intelligent people?

I'm neither vegan or vegetarian.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Jesus I'm neither vegetarian nor vegan but the hatred in here for that particular choice is puerile. Killing and hurting animals sucks, and if you have to hate a group of people who are uncomfortable with that to be happy with your own life choices, you should really take a look at yourself.

Maybe people take offence to propaganda and so much misinformation being pushed by the vegan side. The method of communicating of offence may not be the best, but not everyone can write like W.B. Yeats.

Maybe people take offence to propaganda and so much misinformation being pushed by the vegan side. The method of communicating of offence may not be the best, but not everyone can write like W.B. Yeats.

The extremist vegans who post on boards will never answer questions put to them asking to verify misleading information which they have just said. They will just make posts like the one above by S1ippy and then claim that they are not vegan.

They just follow the propaganda line..... So much for being able to think for oneself.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

People, in general , have no problems personally with Vegans . The problem they do have , is with small vocal minorities ( with " friends in high places " ) trying to force their agenda on the majority .

If you CHOOSE to be a vegan , no probs . It's a free world .

But why should I ( and others ) be FORCED to adhere to YOUR own PERSONAL choice ?

( P.s Horror of horrors , but I'd advise people to carry out some research on food nutrition . The top two most nutritious foods you can eat are NOT veg or fruits . Broccoli ( most nutritious veg ) , comes in third place . And , the amount you'd have to eat of it , to match the first two , in nutrition terms is a lot . I'll leave the names of the first two foods for you to figure out , but somehow , I think you already know the answer !! Hint , hint , Moo Moo !! ).

I am far, far more suspicious of the misinformation put out by the very powerful animal agricultural interests.
    Some of the made up shlte about the environmental impact of rearing animals is pretty hilarious.

I'm suspicious of "facts" trumped out by both sides but I genuinely find the vegans way more believable.

The poor guy presenting the sensationalist film looks like he could be missing a few nutrients. He doesn’t look well at all.

I am far, far more suspicious of the misinformation put out by the very powerful animal agricultural interests.
    Some of the made up shlte about the environmental impact of rearing animals is pretty hilarious.

I'm suspicious of "facts" trumped out by both sides but I genuinely find the vegans way more believable.

Without meat, humans wouldn’t have evoked as we did. We can’t turn back time. Getting rid of farm animals, Producing enough nutrients to sustain the current world population would probably be impossible.

Everyone has their right to their views, but sensationalism and misinformation is not the way to go. Neither is forcing beliefs upon others. That is what extremist vegans do. It is a religion to them. They are welcome to it, but religion is a personal matter and shouldn’t be forced upon anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Any milk alternatives i've tried have been ghastly, really awful.

Without meat, humans wouldn’t have evoked as we did. We can’t turn back time. Getting rid of farm animals, Producing enough nutrients to sustain the current world population would probably be impossible..

Here's a good example of stuff that I just don't believe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

5ccfFkU.gif

Here's a good example of stuff that I just don't believe.

No one is forcing you to believe anything. Some people still believe the earth is flat too.

No one is forcing you to believe anything. Some people still believe the earth is flat too.

Difference being that there is a world of evidence to indicate that the world is not flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭2x4

There had been State sponsored marketing of dairy products for at least fifty years. This marketing is largely directed at children. The objective is to sell more dairy products thereby benefiting the producers i.e farmers/landowners/ dairy conglomerates.
    Thanks to farming organisations lobbying the EU, non dairy milk cannot legally be called milk. This is why it’s marketed as oat/soya/almond/rice drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I thought this thread would be about stealing cartons of milk left outside someone's door by a milkman. Am disappointed

Why do vegans bring out the arsehole in so many, otherwise intelligent people?

I'm neither vegan or vegetarian.

Vegans are clueless about livestock farming so I doubt trying to educate them is being san arsehole.

So in your mind vegans who more than likely wouldn't know one end of a cow from the other are more believable than livestock producers? Go back to sleep.

I thought this thread would be about stealing cartons of milk left outside someone's door by a milkman. Am disappointed

Vegan clickbait

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    So in your mind vegans who more than likely wouldn't know one end of a cow from the other are more believable than livestock producers? Go back to sleep.

100%, every time.
    I tend to distrust information from financially vested interests.

• Advertisement

100%, every time.
    I tend to distrust information from financially vested interests.

And vegan food promoters and producers have no financially vested interests of course.

And vegan food promoters and producers have no financially vested interests of course.

Now now, there’s no money to be made in the vegan industry at all :D

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Vegans are clueless about livestock farming so I doubt trying to educate them is being san arsehole.

To be fair, you haven't been an arsehole in this thread yet.

Your average vegan is neither a food promoter or producer.
    Your average farmer is, well... a farmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

After the apocalypse they'll eat the grass-fed vegans first.

Your average vegan is neither a food promoter or producer.
    Your average farmer is, well... a farmer.

Is your average omnivore a food promoter or producer?

• Advertisement

Is your average omnivore a food promoter or producer?

No.
    I'm talking about the "facts" from the farming sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I was deciding what I was going to have for the dinner today. This thread provided a moment of inspiration. It’s going to be an enormous plate of bacon, cabbage, floury spuds, butter, mustard with a pint of ice-cold milk. The dinner of absolute champions.

I was deciding what I was going to have for the dinner today. This thread provided a moment of inspiration. It’s going to be an enormous plate of bacon, cabbage, floury spuds, butter, mustard with a pint of ice-cold milk. The dinner of absolute champions.

I'll look forward to your report on how "it went down" tomorrow!

No.
    I'm talking about the "facts" from the farming sector.

The vegan side also supports "facts".

In the end, I don't listen to either. I'll eat whatever the fcuk I want without being preached to by a holier than thou shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Why the need for Vegan's to proselytize and point the finger at those who don't partake in their gastro-economic world view?

We are approaching a point where lab grown meat substitute and some other animal product substitutes are actually becoming viable and a half decent substitute.

That doesn't mean such a change in global markets, economy and industry "must" be enforced.
    The entire point of free market economics is that demand drives supply.
    Preaching at people who enjoy a glass of milk, a cut of beef or a slice of bacon?
    Is the aim criminalisation of animal products?
    Provoking a change by changing societal mores by being the annoying prick inspecting the fridge at a party?
    How do aggressively vegan folk think that's going to play out?

I think it really speaks more to the preacher and a need to be "right" than it ever will the choir.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement