Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

What's the woke angle?

There isn't any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's just looking for something to be upset over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Cordell wrote: »
    Unless I'm missing something, that's the decent thing to do and not woke in the slightest.

It is.

But it would worry me more that the club has to come out and govern their supporters over what they say and do? I have not read the comments but if they were about how crap the level of play was it would not surprise me. Women's soccer is appalling, however I am not that appalled or bothered to go online and share my discontent.

However, if they were commenting on the size of the left back's knockers we are crossing into levels of crassness which only a soccer fan could understand? I have been to Upton Park, I have heard what those animals chant.

What was said exactly and why do the Hoops feel the need to micromanage their fans?

I interpreted the article as saying " oh look, something bad happened and people said bad things and then ShamRovs came out and said that was bad" ... I mean how phucking dull can you get? It is woke insofar as the article is saying something wrong happened but it is not saying what?

But eitherway I am not surprised that u17 females soccer is getting bad press, it is probably shight for starters.

Is there a link to the tweets, I fancy reading them for a giggle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Nothing is sacred anymore

santa-gay-tweet.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

46 Long wrote: »
    Nothing is sacred anymore

santa-gay-tweet.jpg

It's funny, because:

1/ The tweet is from 2017
    2/ It fails to highlight it's actually a fiction book by Daniel Kibblesmith, taking a slight jab at the often sold and told stories of Mr and Mrs Claus going on summer holiday and stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It is.

But it would worry me more that the club has to come out and govern their supporters over what they say and do? I have not read the comments but if they were about how crap the level of play was it would not surprise me. Women's soccer is appalling, however I am not that appalled or bothered to go online and share my discontent.

However, if they were commenting on the size of the left back's knockers we are crossing into levels of crassness which only a soccer fan could understand? I have been to Upton Park, I have heard what those animals chant.

What was said exactly and why do the Hoops feel the need to micromanage their fans?

I interpreted the article as saying " oh look, something bad happened and people said bad things and then ShamRovs came out and said that was bad" ... I mean how phucking dull can you get? It is woke insofar as the article is saying something wrong happened but it is not saying what?

But eitherway I am not surprised that u17 females soccer is getting bad press, it is probably shight for starters.

There was a page full of tweets in the article when I opened it and it was mostly comments on the player's bodies.

There was a page full of tweets in the article when I opened it and it was mostly comments on the player's bodies.

Yeah, I probably won't bother looking at them now ,the comments that is, I am quite confident that I could arrested for hanging around a soccer pitch leering at 17 year old girls making a wholly show of themselves as well if I was bothered.

It is sad that women's soccer gets online notoriety for the talent on the pitch as opposed to the actual talent being displayed.

Read into that what you will, it certainly want stop me watching Wimbledon either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

Aye, it was disgusting tbh.

I'll generally mock anyone objectifying male of female athletes (in a faux outrage tone), but these are kids, not fully formed adults.

Zero defense imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Tony EH wrote: »
    you and others go around seeking out this rubbish and then spreading it

The outrage industrial complex, very little of this shit affects the broflakes in their real lives.

The outrage industrial complex, very little of this shit affects the broflakes in their real lives.

brokflakes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Rothko wrote: »
    brokflakes?

Surprised you don’t know this one, R.

From UrbanDictionary:

A commonly seen stereotype of the quintessentially conservative, heterosexual, white male, who despite all his privileges and advantages in life, is easily sensitive to any criticism or mockery.
    Unable to see outside of his own perspective, and takes everything personally, even when it's not about him specifically. Fragile like a snowflake, but with the mentality of a "bro."
    Usually denies or ignores reality and the very real struggles of other genders, races, sexual identities, etc.
    Represents those afflicted with the "fragile male ego" and is the opposite of "woke."

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

From UrbanDictionary:

A commonly seen stereotype of the quintessentially conservative, heterosexual, white male, who despite all his privileges and advantages in life, is easily sensitive to any criticism or mockery.
    Unable to see outside of his own perspective, and takes everything personally, even when it's not about him specifically. Fragile like a snowflake, but with the mentality of a "bro."
    Usually denies or ignores reality and the very real struggles of other genders, races, sexual identities, etc.
    Represents those afflicted with the "fragile male ego" and is the opposite of "woke."

Ah yes the old privileged white male shtick - very woke indeed ...

Also from the UrbanDictionary
    Privilege

The belief that members of particular groups, sexualities, genders, sexes, races, etc. are afforded advantages in society for being a member of said group.

The term was popularized by the regressive left and is generally used as an easy button to shut down discussions/arguments and blame others for one's own shortcomings. Achievements earned by others through hard work are dismissed as just further evidence of their privilege...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I can't speak to this particular occasion.

But i know there was a link to soccer and thuggery in the UK for a very long time. Facist riots anytime the UK played on the continent. It was embarrassing.

It was due to the fact that such attitudes were left to dwell. They hardened and certain violent groups were formed with links to even more dangerous groups.

So that might be why.

You let it fester ...you end up with groups of violent skinheads rioting at every match....because it is where they feel accepted.

That is what happened with soccer in many countries. Sadly.

British soccer fans even rioted in landsdown road once i seem to recall. Something like smash the ira etc etc. It was then reported they had connections to several facist groups the in the UK and in NI.

The fear is if you tolerate racism it snowballs and then you have skinheads on your lawn. Its why you avoid racists they bring the skinheads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭99nsr125

I can't speak to this particular occasion.

But i know there was a link to soccer and thuggery in the UK for a very long time. Facist riots anytime the UK played on the continent. It was embarrassing.

It was due to the fact that such attitudes were left to dwell. They hardened and certain violent groups were formed with links to even more dangerous groups.

So that might be why.

You let it fester ...you end up with groups of violent skinheads rioting at every match....because it is where they feel accepted.

That is what happened with soccer in many countries. Sadly.

British soccer fans even rioted in landsdown road once i seem to recall. Something like smash the ira etc etc. It was then reported they had connections to several facist groups the in the UK and in NI.

The fear is if you tolerate racism it snowballs and then you have skinheads on your lawn. Its why you avoid racists they bring the skinheads.

Jesus, how did you get to

Racist, fascists ripping up a stadium

From something akin to
    Nice kegs on number 9 and this game is şhitê

Seriously context like.

The game was a pile of stinkkng diarrhea so the commentary turns to everything else.

Instead of acknowledging the crapness of the game, apologising, saying it's not fit for broadcast it's been decided to play the man (commentary) and not the ball (quality of play)

Players are commented on all the time but if they are playing well that's all that anyone notices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Jesus, how did you get to

Racist, fascists ripping up a stadium

From something akin to
    Nice kegs on number 9 and this game is şhitê

Seriously context like.

The game was a pile of stinkkng diarrhea so the commentary turns to everything else.

Instead of acknowledging the crapness of the game, apologising, saying it's not fit for broadcast it's been decided to play the man (commentary) and not the ball (quality of play)

Players are commented on all the time but if they are playing well that's all that anyone notices.
    I don't know why you are hysterical.

All I am saying is you can't have racists or sexists as neighbors. You will end up with skinheads on the lawn.

Every sport that has tolerated mild level racist behavior ...ends up with harder style content down the line.

That is why they now like to get tough with it.

Its bad for the image. And image is money.

The game is crap ??? So ....nobody cares.

People don't owe an apology to anyone.

There is lots of ****e on TV. No one ever apologizes. No one is entitled to an apology. Come on!

Football clubs don't want to be associated with this.

It ruins sponsorship.

I am sorry women's soccer is ****e. I am sorry you were forced to watch it. There happy? lol

Its not like i care if it is on tv or not??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It is.

https://twitter.com/JessStapleton_/status/1341878669241925632?s=20

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

From UrbanDictionary:

woke people and their love for inventing new terms LOL

This one in particular is rooted in racism against white people and hate for hetero men, and it contradicts itself by patronizing white/hetero/male and then accusing them of ignore the reality of other races/genders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Sir Oxman wrote: »

Spot the white male kid in that snapshot from the Cartoon Network.
    This woke world is very odd.

I thought as much.

Locker room talk and in fairness I did the exact same thing watching hockey when I was 17. True Story and I am not a bad person, the only difference was we had no phones and the girls wore mini skirts - much sexier than shorts.

The Hoops were worse for commenting and all Jessie Stapleton ( any relation to Frank ? ) has done is published private wassap messages to a public forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

“My pronouns are....”

And I’m out.

Omackeral wrote: »
    “My pronouns are....”

And I’m out.

Don't be such a Broflake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"cArToOnS HaVe aLwAyS BeEn pOlItIcAl"

I love watching old cartoons, they're damn funny but these days they're a reminder that what was until recently normal seems shocking and transgressive in an era when entertainment is run by weirdos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Don't be such a Broflake.

Remember to be nice to everyone and respect their views and opinions. Unless its people you dont deem "progressive" enough. Say what ever you like to them

Wokeism is brain damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Daragh1980

Remember to be nice to everyone and respect their views and opinions. Unless its people you dont deem "progressive" enough. Say what ever you like to them

Wokeism is brain damage

IAMAMORON, Spiceland and Joey The Parrot are three of the most right-on people here

Daragh1980 wrote: »
    IAMAMORON, Spiceland and Joey The Parrot are three of the most right-on people here

Such esteemed company, thank you.

But didn’t you call me a “libtard” in the ‘Etiquette’ thread yesterday? Very “uncivil”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Daragh1980

Such esteemed company, thank you.

But didn’t you call me a “libtard” in the ‘Etiquette’ thread yesterday? Very “uncivil”.

Probably “handicapped b*stard” would have been better?

just throw a fáda on the a, it looks better.

bástard - see much easier.

or just bazza works just as well.

Do you think they should ban the streaming of teenagers playing soccer online - or should they ban people commenting on them - or should they just ban them playing altogether - ??

Or should they be forced to play in mini skirts like Tennis players and Hockey players do?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

“My pronouns are....”

And I’m out.
    "I feel seen". Wut?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

While, certainly, being incorrect it would, most definitely, still fall under “personal abuse” and a disgusting example of such.

I’d “recommend” that you change your tact, both in content and in language, if you don’t want to suffer any “attention” from the moderators.

Although, this thread seems to get a “blind eye” turned to it so maybe if you kept it “as is” in here as well as over in CA you could be alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Maybe it has already been mentioned but the UN have this tweet and image a day or two ago for a Utopian vision for a place they call Equiterra. Among all the positive street names they have a building called Toxic Masculinity Recycling Centre. I find that very insulting on behalf of my lovely sons and their friends and all the men I know who are really good people doing good things. What a kick in the balls. If a global NGO had a campaign that centred Female Bitch Recycling I would feel horrified on behalf of my daughters and all the good women I know If it is really Equiterra and everything is equal and there must be a toxic masculinity centre than have a Toxic Feminity Recycling Centre too. I really find this casual, pervasive and NGO approved misandry to be disgusting.

https://twitter.com/UN_Women/status/1343294346590904322?s=19

^^Women shur.. bloody typical..

But seriously, what is more worrying that anything about this sort of craic is how stupid it is, and that it's becoming so pervasive..

Infantilisation..

^^Women shur.. bloody typical..

But seriously, what is more worrying that anything about this sort of craic is how stupid it is, and that it's becoming so pervasive..

Infantilisation..

I do not believe it is typical of women. Or maybe I have self selected a circle of women who are not nasty. But it has certainly become pervasive in the media or activism or whatever this astro turfed atnosphere qualifies as being. I would hate my lads to see that image. Although they are tough and would rip the p1ss out of it. Though at this stage in a kind of jaded cynical way that has its own poignancy. It is embarrassing.

Gruffalux wrote: »
    I do not believe it is typical of women. Or maybe I have self selected a circle of women who are not nasty.

It's not typical of women. It's typical of the men and women who champion women's rights, and need men to be the enemy. A lot of people have been conditioned to believe these things, or have chosen to believe them. Thank you, America.
    But it has certainly become pervasive in the media or activism or whatever this astro turfed atnosphere qualifies as being. I would hate my lads to see that image. Although they are tough and would rip the p1ss out of it. Though at this stage in a kind of jaded cynical way that has its own poignancy. It is embarrassing.

It's dangerous, because it's becoming accepted in organisations who have the ability to teach/promote it to others, including the uneducated in many countries. Imagine if the UN decided to teach the belief in Toxic Masculinity, as considered by feminists, in all their educational/support facilities worldwide? We'll help develop your community, provide food and medicine, but you should accept what we say is true....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Just had to listen to a colleague ranting about how it's a man's world, based on her reading a story about a woman escaping an abusive husband and then the husband only getting a 4 year sentence.

She went on to moan about how it's always men abusing women and not the other way, no matter what people say. (That was a dig at me as I've given her stats before about how men are approaching 40% in terms of victims of reported domestic abuse).

Also 4 years was far too lenient (probably true) and the light sentence was because he was a man. I could have pointed out that statistically men are both more likely to be convicted and also receive a higher sentence than a woman convicted of the same crime. But why bother, its in one ear and out the other (as there's damn all in between) and I'd only end up being reported for being a misogynistic bastard.

It's a man's world after all. Even though men make up the majority of workplace deaths, suicides and the homeless population. If its a man's world we seem to be doing it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Not enough trans disabled sex workers

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/28/us/andre-hill-adam-coy-fired/index.html

“Adam Coy, the Columbus, Ohio, police officer who shot and killed Andre Hill, was fired Monday, according to a statement from Public Safety Director Ned Pettus Jr.

Coy's termination follows a disciplinary hearing held earlier in the day. The local chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police represented him at the hearing.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

Where's the "woke" in that article, Emmet?

Morathi wrote: »
    Where's the "woke" in that article, Emmet?

Sorry, M, I should have copied in more of the article. The cop who was fired shot, and killed, a man of colour who was holding a mobile phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭gw80

Sorry, M, I should have copied in more of the article. The cop who was fired shot, and killed, a man of colour who was holding a mobile phone.
    Where's the woke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In my job my department hired both men and women who lets say, didn’t work out.

The job we are talking about is about 60% - 70% behind a PC, 30-40% manual physical work.

Female #1... , hard worker, did her share of everything, never complained, no issues, a can do lady.

Female #2... 5’0... so slight you’d be worried the wind would blow her over... a tryer certainly, no lack of application and a good person full of effort but didn’t have the physicality for the work, struggling majorly... which in fairness was predicted...

The manager confided that is was simply a tick box hiring as he needed to be seen to be hiring females into a department that was historically 100% male dominated due to probably the physical nature of some of the work, forklifting driving, use of pallet trucks in addition to the office etc.... his solution...she ended up just being given the office work all day, every day, while the rest of just had to do her share of physical and labour intensive work.. going home on a Friday cream crackered... when it was queried..we were told that he was playing to her strengths as was a legitimate option, this despite the fact she was on the mobile every 5 minutes to one of us looking to help with A, B and C...she didn’t have strengths, just lesser weaknesses.

She lasted about a year, a suitable candidate was hired to replace her.

Our manager apologized, he’d taken a wrong tact... one he didn’t repeat, lesson learned..hire the best, forget the rest, regardless of age, race, gender or any other woke tick box bôllocks... all male team ? all female team ? As long as they are the best team, go right ahead.

Seems to be only the emoyers disciplinary aspect. Criminal charges pending?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,133 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Tragic. Given how armed and violent American society is, it's incredible that so few innocents are shot each year by police.

gw80 wrote: »
    Where's the woke?

There isn't any.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/28/us/andre-hill-adam-coy-fired/index.html

“Adam Coy, the Columbus, Ohio, police officer who shot and killed Andre Hill, was fired Monday, according to a statement from Public Safety Director Ned Pettus Jr.

Coy's termination follows a disciplinary hearing held earlier in the day. The local chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police represented him at the hearing.”

You're trying too hard.

:pac:

They spelt "representation" wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

#StayWoke

Tony EH wrote: »
    :pac:

They spelt "representation" wrong.

Two possible reasons -
    1) They know in their heart they are taking the p-
    2) The spell-checker was too busy making sure each coupling was suitably diverse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I see Frankie Boyle is giving out to Ricky Gervais for his lack of respect towards trans people. This is the same Frankie Boyle who spent so much time making fun of a child with special needs, even incorporating incestual rape into it.

I see Frankie Boyle is giving out to Ricky Gervais for his lack of respect towards trans people. This is the same Frankie Boyle who spent so much time making fun of a child with special needs, even incorporating incestual rape into it.

''Venus Williams has brought something different to the women’s game – male genitalia.'' ~ Frankie Boyle.

The internet never forgets.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement