Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trevor Deely case - new witness

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

No gangland criminal would have known who Trevor was. So why murder him?

Chance run in

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I just hope who this new witness is,brings closure.

If he had come across something wrong with a customer's account at work then he would have told colleagues or the authorities about it quickly and so his murder would not have prevented the truth of whatever he found from emerging.

He was a junior IT worker though. He wouldn’t have even been accessing accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

If he had come across something wrong with a customer's account at work then he would have told colleagues or the authorities about it quickly and so his murder would not have prevented the truth of whatever he found from emerging.

What is it about these threads (and the gangland ones) that eventually boil down to a handful of people with a Columbo hard on, bickering with each other about their mad theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

What is it about these threads (and the gangland ones) that eventually boil down to a handful of people with a Columbo hard on, bickering about their mad theories.

the general true crime podcast explosion probably to blame for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Field east

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Oh yes, absolutely. I worked in an office on Waterloo Road in the 1990s and it was by no means unusual to see prostitutes on the street, not even particularly late, sometimes as early as six or seven in the evening. Waterloo Road/Burlington Road/Fitzwilliam Square was a red light district at night back then. I know it seems odd given it is as you say a posh area but that's what it was like.

Even as recently as 2014 still was if this article is correct:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/midnight-on-baggot-street-every-girl-in-the-sex-trade-has-a-story-but-men-never-ask-30567428.html

Fitzwilliam Place also - at least during the early seventies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Trevor's sister, Michelle will be on Newstalk this morning to talk about the ridiculous speculation regarding her brothers disappearance.

If it wasn't such a tragic subject some of the theories on this thread would be hilarious. They're just moronic.

The Garda must have a lot more info than we do. They must have some reason to believe this chance encounter actually took place.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The Garda must have a lot more info than we do.

That would be the situation 99.9% of the time in any given case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Trevor's sister, Michelle will be on Newstalk this morning to talk about the ridiculous speculation regarding her brothers disappearance.

If it wasn't such a tragic subject some of the theories on this thread would be hilarious. They're just moronic.

thanks.

She'll be on now after this break.

• Advertisement

Some of them are off the wall stuff to be fair.

I reckon mods should shut this down altogether and ban any future threads on Trevor.

It's unfortunate that due to the circumstances of TD's disappearance there will always be an element of what happened and speculation. Nothing else can be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

Mods can this thread be closed? If the interview with his sister does anything it shows the distress that these highly speculative threads have on the Deely family.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

zapper55 wrote: »
    Mods can this thread be closed? If the interview with his sister does anything it shows the distress that these highly speculative threads have on the Deely family.

It doesn’t even have to be closed, just end all the speculation.

The tide is turning…

It doesn’t even have to be closed, just end all the speculation.

I think it should be closed. There really is no thread without speculation.

Trevor's sister, Michelle will be on Newstalk this morning to talk about the ridiculous speculation regarding her brothers disappearance. ......

I didn't get the opportunity to tune in. Was it in reference to the media speculation or the speculation on forums etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

Augeo wrote: »
    I didn't get the opportunity to tune in. Was it in reference to the media speculation or the speculation on forums etc?

Both, media reports and online speculation. She also said the dig in Chapelizod had nothing at all to do with Trevor.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think it should be closed. There really is no thread without speculation.

I agree
    This thread is a constant rehash of theories about his work, criminals, people asking why did so and so not notice such and such, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Augeo wrote: »

Mainly online amateur detective speculation like this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

The Garda must have a lot more info than we do. They must have some reason to believe this chance encounter actually took place.
    :eek: i would hope so

Both, media reports and online speculation. She also said the dig in Chapelizod had nothing at all to do with Trevor.

From what I remember AGS said differently at the time.

https://www.thejournal.ie/deely-missing-not-found-3609845-Sep2017/

"Detective Inspector Paul Costello said that gardaí had begun the search as a result of new information they obtained. He said that this information was not related to the appeal in April.

“We’re at the very early stages of the search,” he said at the time. “As it develops we’ll keep an open mind about what we find and don’t find.

“We believe there are still people out there who have information that we need and we’d appreciate contact,” he said."

Lots of the speculation stems from comments from AGS, are AGS spoofing so?

• Advertisement

Mainly online amateur detective speculation like this thread.

But it seems the family perhaps have an issue with the Chapilizod events also .......... "She also said the dig in Chapelizod had nothing at all to do with Trevor"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If a theory\line of enquiry has been floated in national news - e.g. the chapelizod dig, the chance run-in with criminal, then it seems reasonable enough to me to discuss it here.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

To the best of my knowledge the Deely family have no submitted DNA to the investigation, for the obvious reason that they believe that Trevor is still alive.

There is a possibility that Trevor's body is in the grave of an unknown in Wales, but that cannot be clarified without DNA.

His sister stated that they have provided DNA and there hasn’t been any matches in the system.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

A thread like this has a small chance of jogging someone’s memory that they might have thought was irrelevant at the time

The chances are small but after 20 years and no progress (that we know off) anything is worth a shot

A man went missing in Dublin city centre under strange circumstances, annual appeals are made , why wouldn’t people discuss it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It had nothing to do with him once it was complete because they don't believe the info it was based on was factual?
    Or the dig was for some other missing person?

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/trevor-deely-s-siblings-describe-horrendous-dig-in-chapelizod-1.3314000

tuxy wrote: »
    It had nothing to do with him once it was complete because they don't believe the info it was based on was factual?

Yeah I'd imagine this is what she meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Is TD's sister interview available as a podcast?

Is TD's sister interview available as a podcast?

In a few days it will.

tuxy wrote: »
    Or the dig was for some other missing person?....

There's no doubt now after the search it had noting to do with him as nothing was found that connected TD to the site.

But pre search AGS reckoned the info was credible enough to commit to the significant endeavour that followed.

Folk are bound to speculate....... human nature dictates some folk are moronic and inconsiderate, that's unfortunate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

His sister stated that they have provided DNA and there hasn’t been any matches in the system.

That's interesting.
    I personally believed that his body could be lying in the UK unidentified this last 19 years.
    Welsh authorities are going through DNA matching for such bodies, but if the Deely family have been through such process without any match then he is unlikely to be there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement