Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weekend 7/12 (Joshua v Ruiz II, Charlo v Hogan, Eubank v Korobov etc)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Joshua has peaked, overhyped, Ruiz has no business in a ring with Fury or Wilder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Joshua managed to run away from a painfully limited obese fighter. I for one don't think this result is anything to brag about, certainly not as impressive as some are making it out to be. The only thing I was impressed with was the fact he didn't gas.

I wouldn't give him much hope against Wilder, he'd have a better chance against fury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Two time world champion is a strange brag when he lost to a massive (and I mean massive in every possible way, except height) underdog and then beat him in a rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

Anyone know what time Hogan ring walk is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

pkvader wrote: »
    Anyone know what time Hogan ring walk is?

I would guess around 10 est at the earliest. Anyone giving him a chance? Eubank jr v korobov on before and dave lemiuex on the card as well. Decent line up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,433 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It was no Balboa v Lang that's for sure. Joshua fought smart, aimed for 12 rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Gulf in class there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I think at some point Fury might happen alright, huge money. Battle of Britain, may even top Froch/Groves ;) Wilder, I don't think he wants any of it and will continue to duck AJ. He could surprise me but I don't see him clamouring for the fight anyway.

Do you think he could fill 80,000 seats at Wembley and then knock him out? I recall somebody doing that once but I can't recall who because nobody ever mentions it.......

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

George Forman will consider another return after seeing the level of that “fight”

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭PerryB78

Cant help thinking Joshua threw the 1st fight, unlikely to fight Wilder or Fury due to respective TV deals so not much interest or money to be made in the rest of the fighter pool. Throws fight in NY, big hype created over rematch, jabs to predictable victory while earning 50 odd million then the two of them both hugging in the ring talking about a trilogy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

A victory for boxing really. That fat turd has no place in a HW title fight. Disgraceful shape for the Heavyweight champion of the world to show up in.

Speaking of disgraceful - fúck of Guardian

Anthony Joshua sours triumph over Andy Ruiz Jr with ‘decapitate’ line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,655 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

PerryB78 wrote: »
    Cant help thinking Joshua threw the 1st fight, unlikely to fight Wilder or Fury due to respective TV deals so not much interest or money to be made in the rest of the fighter pool. Throws fight in NY, big hype created over rematch, jabs to predictable victory while earning 50 odd million then the two of them both hugging in the ring talking about a trilogy

Yeah...he decided to let a 20 stone Mexican land numerous head punches and floor him 4 times.

If he was going to throw it, he'd have stayed down on one of the earlier knockdowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,677 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Gulf in class there

Hogan way out of his depth. Had nothing to offer. Domestic level vs world level..

Too small, too weak and too feather fisted!

The Nal wrote: »
    A victory for boxing really. That fat turd has no place in a HW title fight. Disgraceful shape for the Heavyweight champion of the world to show up in.

Speaking of disgraceful - fúck of Guardian

Anthony Joshua sours triumph over Andy Ruiz Jr with ‘decapitate’ line

Agreed. Ruiz’s showing was abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Have to laugh at he anti AJ bias in here again. It’s nothing new though. Do we have to instantly hate anyone who is British?

Ruiz should be ashamed for the shape he came in but let’s not pretend he’s a fraud now. He is very awkward and has great hands for such a big man. You can see why he has struggled to get big fights.

AJ boxed well and clever. Lads moaning cause he didn’t plant his feet and stand in the pocket all night. He landed some huge shots but Ruiz has a chin on him.

Wilder would have big problems against Ruiz I think. He can’t box.

Also what’s all this talk of AJ ducking fights? It’s not him ducking anyone. He’s the one constantly trying to get the deal done. Wilder was looking for a ridiculous sum given he was the B draw.

There is a big anti AJ bias here, alright. I’ll give you that...

He’s still one of, if not D best HWs on earth...

I still believe he starches Fury....

Wilder and AJ is a simple shootout. Whomever lands hard first, wins...

Last night he just disappointed me. I wasn’t wanting him to be silly and reckless, but I thought he could have put on a far more heavy type offense on a clearly slower and clearly ineffective blob..

walshb wrote: »

Last night he just disappointed me. I wasn’t wanting him to be silly and reckless, but I thought he could have put on a far more heavy type offense on a clearly slower and clearly ineffective blob..

Last night was all about getting the win and the titles back for 2020. The only time he followed up from behind the jab he got hit on the inside so he decided to box smart - and boring - and win on points. Easy night for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭ebbsy

He didn't need to take chances I guess. Boxed a clever fight against that gob****e.

Don't think there will be a third fight. The margin was so wide that I wouldn't be as interested in it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I’m just about to watch it again to see what I missed but I’m dreading it.

BDI wrote: »
    I’m just about to watch it again to see what I missed but I’m dreading it.

36 minutes you won't get back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Round 2. Joshua telegraphs his jab regularly. I can see a fighter that’s not overweight getting around it.

The fourth he gets involved and tried to fight. After initial success Ruiz sends him back to his corner festering to his coach in an I don’t know manner.

Start of round 6 he tries to mix it and gets tagged again. Goes back to hiding behind his jab. Commentary starting to annoy me.

Round 7 gets hit abit again goes back to wrestling and crying about getting hit in the clinch.

While all this is going on he is miles ahead on points m. Ruiz has a good chin. Commentators are sickening.

Round 8 loses the head because he is getting hit in the clinch. Gets hit again and again. Looks rattled. Can’t hold the clinch Ruiz keeps pushing him away and hitting him. Looks terrified.

2 rounds of nothing heading in to the 11th round.
    Ruiz should apologise to the people of Mexico for turning up in this shape.

Round 11 Joshua actually turns and runs away when hit.

Round 12 Ruiz gets absolutely smashed halfway through. Spends the rest of the round recovering. Throws abit at the end and I thought there was a point where he could have let his hands go but hesitates. Seems happy enough when the bell rings.

A rematch will sell if Ruiz turns up ripped in the press conference. There was times Ruiz turned his body but his belly button stayed pointing in the original direction. Good money made for all.

Hugs all round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

He can impress in his next few fights

Needed to get the job done last night, would have been crazy to engage and possibly having to slug with a guy 3 stone more with fast hands

Rúiz was dangerous, if AJ got close Ruiz would have done damage, good he stayed away

AJ wasn't his usual 250lb that might have take some damage either , at 235lb his punch resistance was probably alot lower

I was impressed with him anyway, didn't think he would have the discipline and maturity to fight like that

Easiest 80 million he will ever make

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Riquelme

He probably watched Yoga Paul vs Krs one and this fight and has his mind made up I wouldn't bother

Quality!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,212 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If fury can avoid wilders right hand in February he can unify , Joshua isn’t at the same level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Dreadful stuff. AJ is no heavyweight champ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Praise was of course heaped on Joshua's 'masterclass' yesterday by Sky but in truth it was a performance of pure fear. His chin simply doesn't take the big shots and he knows Ruiz can hurt him so he spent the whole fight jabbing and running, painfully boring stuff to watch.

Can see a third match v Ruiz where it'll be more of the same, but if Joshua wants to keep his belts then he may run a mile from Wilder and Fury. Both are big hitters, both can take a punch and both are taller than Joshua so won't have reach advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

AJ did what he had to do last night, he's being criticized for fighting the boring fight yet Fury's been getting praise heaped on him for years for fighting the exact same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Praise was of course heaped on Joshua's 'masterclass' yesterday by Sky but in truth it was a performance of pure fear. His chin simply doesn't take the big shots and he knows Ruiz can hurt him so he spent the whole fight jabbing and running, painfully boring stuff to watch.

Can see a third match v Ruiz where it'll be more of the same, but if Joshua wants to keep his belts then he may run a mile from Wilder and Fury. Both are big hitters, both can take a punch and both are taller than Joshua so won't have reach advantage.

What are you mumbling about? Doesn’t take the big shots? These lads are 17 - 20 stone and most of them punch like a mule. He got up off the floor against Kiltchko when very few would have.

Fury a big hitter? I’d argue there are middleweights who hit harder than him. Wilder is technically awful. Against AJ whoever lands first wins. I’d lean towards AJ given he’s a far superior boxer. Wilder has that right hand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Wlad made a long career of protecting his chin.

Problem I have is we will now hear Hearn ****e on that AJ doesnt need Wilder/Fury.

For so long AJ didnt have a dance partner but we will now hear that Ruiz is really number 2 in the division who deserves the chance to avenge last night in a rubber (blubber more like) match.

Its all a power play. Hearn is the worst of these promoters, the ****er will always want at least 80% of the share.

Nobody gives a damn about legacy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Still Ill

BDI wrote: »

A rematch will sell if Ruiz turns up ripped in the press conference. There was times Ruiz turned his body but his belly button stayed pointing in the original direction. Good money made for all.

Hugs all round

Would he even be a heavyweight if he was ripped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Im glad Joshua won.

You dont want Ruiz as a role model. Lazy,fat & no discipline to keep food out of his mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Still Ill wrote: »
    Would he even be a heavyweight if he was ripped?

Andy Ruiz (283.7 lbs) & Anthony Joshua (237 lbs) at the pre-fight weigh in, so Ruiz could lose 3.5 stone and weigh the same as Joshua did for the fight. I agree with the sentiment here, there is no Ruiz Joshua 3 unless Ruiz actually got fit, and given he couldn't manage that defending 3 belts, there seems little hope of this ever happening. There are only 2 Joshua fights out there people want to see, Wilder or Fury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭matthewmurdock

Joshua v Wilder or Fury won't happening until late 2021. And it'll be the loser of that fight that Hearn will go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Inquitus wrote: »
    Andy Ruiz (283.7 lbs) & Anthony Joshua (237 lbs) at the pre-fight weigh in, so Ruiz could lose 3.5 stone and weigh the same as Joshua did for the fight. I agree with the sentiment here, there is no Ruiz Joshua 3 unless Ruiz actually got fit, and given he couldn't manage that defending 3 belts, there seems little hope of this ever happening. There are only 2 Joshua fights out there people want to see, Wilder or Fury.

Ruiz has got talent and tools but poor attitude and no place for that in elite sport. If he changes that then there’s a future for him. If he doesn’t then he can cause plenty of top end HWs trouble in a certain style but he won’t climb the mountain again. He actually in a way surpassed my expectations but AJ didn’t have the ambition I expected and Ruiz took shots better

What are you mumbling about? Doesn’t take the big shots? These lads are 17 - 20 stone and most of them punch like a mule. He got up off the floor against Kiltchko when very few would have.

Fury a big hitter? I’d argue there are middleweights who hit harder than him. Wilder is technically awful. Against AJ whoever lands first wins. I’d lean towards AJ given he’s a far superior boxer. Wilder has that right hand though.

Joshua's chin is average at best for a heavyweight, it's not solid like a Vitali Klitschko, it's more vulnerable like a Wlad Klitschko, that's why I think Fury or Wilder would take him.

Although I agree that Joshua is techincally speaking the best of the 3, Wilder is very scatty but has devastating power and Fury is an incredibly awkward opponent.

• Advertisement

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Wlad made a long career of protecting his chin.

Problem I have is we will now hear Hearn ****e on that AJ doesnt need Wilder/Fury.

For so long AJ didnt have a dance partner but we will now hear that Ruiz is really number 2 in the division who deserves the chance to avenge last night in a rubber (blubber more like) match.

Its all a power play. Hearn is the worst of these promoters, the ****er will always want at least 80% of the share.

Nobody gives a damn about legacy

I agree, I think Hearn will protect AJ as much as possible, I honestly think he winces every time somebody lands a shot on AJ because he knows how vulnerable that chin is.

Wlad did indeed make a long career with a dodgy chin, he was a brilliant boxer though and used his range, skill and power to wear his opponents down before delivering the KO blows as he was also blessed with power.

I honestly don't think Joshua would have beaten Wlad in his prime but to be fair AJ does also have solid KO power so he is capable of beating the best of them......provided they don't catch him first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Who won between Korobov and Eubank? I forgot it was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Who won between Korobov and Eubank? I forgot it was on.

Eubank Jr. Korobov dislocated a shoulder in round 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,206 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Dreadful stuff. AJ is no heavyweight champ.

On the contrary, he is in fact heavyweight champ. Two time heavyweight champ at that.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭ebbsy

On the contrary, he is in fact heavyweight champ. Two time heavyweight champ at that.

And also I'm glad he has the belts, Ruiz was a terrible champ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

ebbsy wrote: »
    And also I'm glad he has the belts, Ruiz was a terrible champ.

I'm no AJ fan but he's far more worthy of the belts than a man who couldn't even get in shape for one fight. I thought Ruiz was overweight in the last fight cause he was only off the couch, little did I know he'd turn up the way he did the other night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

AJ done well, done what he had to do so credit is due but it was far from master class due to the opponent,

Ruiz was a disgrace turns up to his first defence in such awful shape, He was never that good to begin with so u' d think he'd have done his best to get himself in best functional shape he could,

He will float around top 7-12 in the world for a few years then disappear,

AJ won't fight Fury or Wilder next year he just won't so best we can hope for is Usyk which is a tuff fight for him ,

I think gimme fight in March then Usyk late summer , Hearn will want to keep his cash cow rolling,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭kippy

MD1990 wrote: »
    Im glad Joshua won.

You dont want Ruiz as a role model. Lazy,fat & no discipline to keep food out of his mouth.

Christ.
    A "Role Model" - who would want ANY professional multimillionaire boxer as a role model.

kippy wrote: »
    Christ.
    A "Role Model" - who would want ANY professional multimillionaire boxer as a role model.

Why not?

Would you prefer a beat up, broke palooka?

Why not?

Would you prefer a beat up, broke palooka?
    A parent, a volunteer who gives their time for the benefit of others, or someone whose profession didn't involve getting paid to beat up people.

A parent, a volunteer who gives their time for the benefit of others, or someone whose profession didn't involve getting paid to beat up people.

Oh, so if someone happens to be wealthy from their profession, that should exclude them?

Boxing and role models isn’t just about people exchanging punches. Open your eyes a little, and try look a little deeper..

Are you anti boxing? Asking, because you seem to think that a person who “beats” others up can’t be a role model?

Oh, so if someone happens to be wealthy from their profession, that should exclude them?

Boxing and role models isn’t just about people exchanging punches. Open your eyes a little, and try look a little deeper..

Are you anti boxing? Asking, because you seem to think that a person who “beats” others up can’t be a role model?

I amn't anti boxing at all, I just don't believe that people need to look up to "stars" as their role models when there are usually people far more deserving of being called role models closer to home.

I amn't anti boxing at all, I just don't believe that people need to look up to "stars" as their role models when there are usually people far more deserving of being called role models closer to home.

Sorry, but that is not what your post implied. It flat out tried to rubbish a claim, that a wealthy boxer can be a role model.

Are you sticking by this?

Sorry, but that is not what your post implied. It flat out tried to rubbish a claim, that a wealthy boxer can be a role model.

Are you sticking by this?
    Of course they can be a role model - but not to any of my kids.

Of course they can be a role model - but not to any of my kids.

Grand.

What about a wealthy boxer who is a kind and caring and thoughtful person, who gives up his time for charity, for communities, educating children, etc....

Would the fact that he is a boxer be the excluding factor for you? In other words, he ticks all the boxes, but fails because he boxes...?

• Advertisement
Advertisement