Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Wibbs wrote: »
    Christ the UK folks are really getting hit. :(

Nearly 70 million population and 5500 have died so far. I wouldn’t describe that as too bad really.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

splinter65 wrote: »
    Nearly 70 million population and 5500 have died so far. I wouldn’t describe that as too bad really.

I doubt those 5500 families care too much what the population of the country is right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

threeball wrote: »
    Hopefully his day comes soon. Now that is a hateful bastard.

Hopefully his behaviour during Covid-19 is enough to make some of those who chanced a vote for him last time to realise what an absolute bastard he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I suppose it may depend on what your expectations or fears have been. But leaving aside the fact that the true figures are very likely much worse than we're seeing, the deaths per million will be slipping into 3 figures over the next couple of days. I'd find it very hard to draw comfort from that tbh. New cases down today, that may be a very small ray of hope, but hard to be certain.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Daily briefing from the UK confirms they do not include deaths outside of hospitals in their numbers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Raab is terrible at the media conference, speaking like a true politician, not answering any questions at all really, constantly repeating the same lines without really saying much. No real leadership at all.

Of course we've always seem an element of that in the past, but I remember a week ago the government were under a lot of pressure because people felt the communications became rather shabby, and it feels like things are heading back to that again after improving for a little bit.

Very poor choice for a leader to step in to Boris' shoes, constantly saying if a decision needs to be made in Boris absence that Boris has given them guidelines then the cabinet have responsibility and when asked what happens if the disagree or cannot make a decision, pretty much the same. There needs to be leadership at a time of national crisis and if he is acting leader he needs to be providing it.

I hope Boris recovers as soon as possible but it does feel like his absence may result in the complete paralysis of government and you have to worry about the functionality of it. Johnson is intensive care and during a pandemic that cannot be allowed to become a major distraction for discharging government duties and it seems to be.

They also still seem to be floating about the idea that Johnson will be recovered soon and back on the front line. The idea that someone who has been in intensive care with coronavirus will get discharged then immediately be able to be back on the front line is highly unrealistic.

I don't like Gove, but he's vastly better at this.

Stheno wrote: »
    Daily briefing from the UK confirms they do not include deaths outside of hospitals in their numbers

That's been known for weeks to be fair.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

devnull wrote: »
    That's been known for weeks to be fair.

Ah just heard it there

The big news i learned today is they dont appear to be including all deaths IN hospitals either.

The big news i learned today is they dont appear to be including all deaths IN hospitals either.

How do they calculate them?

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    How do they calculate them?

I'm not intimately aware of the proedures tbh. But as reported today, the Office of National statistics upgraded the covid-19 related fatalities up to March 27 and the total in hospital had nearly doubled from what the department had reported.

Some honesty from Chris Whitty here
    https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1247560957502664705

devnull wrote: »

Yeah fair play to him for that intervention. It will be a lesson to them for when the next pandemic or comparable crisis comes around. Work with the germans every chance you get!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,114 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I see . You want to cower in your house until some one tells you it’s safe to come out and if some people with long term illnesses gotta suffer and die in the meantime then so be it. If you get covid there’d better be a bed and a ventilator for Trump even if he doesn’t need it. 500,000 people can live indefinitely on the dole as long as your 97 year old granny with endless health issues doesn’t ( shock horror) DIE!!!!!
    Got it.
    And here we see a perfect specimen of the lesser spotted full-time-mad-bastard, coming out to enlighten us all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Wibbs wrote: »
    Christ the UK folks are really getting hit. :(

It's going to be particularly brutal this week as the UK hits the peak.

It'll be important to see if the measures that we're following have an impact in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭threeball

[/B]

I don't think you were saying that it wasn't too bad when 700 a day were dying in Italy. Similar population, similar numbers. I can't remember a single person who thought, hmm thats not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Interesting that there is conversation in Europe about lockdown exit strategies. The EU are saying that member states should keep with these arrangements for a few more weeks, but Austria, the Czech Republic and Denmark are publishing loosening the measures.

Apparently Austria will open non-essential shops from April 14th and will open shopping centres from May 1st. Schools will be closed until mid May. Denmark are going to open day care and elementary schools from the 15th of April.

These moves are interesting at this stage. The Guardian also published an article about a study that says that school closures have little impact on the spread of coronavirus.

It's still too early from my standpoint to loosen restrictions.

Interesting that there is conversation in Europe about lockdown exit strategies. The EU are saying that member states should keep with these arrangements for a few more weeks, but Austria, the Czech Republic and Denmark are publishing loosening the measures.

Apparently Austria will open non-essential shops from April 14th and will open shopping centres from May 1st. Schools will be closed until mid May. Denmark are going to open day care and elementary schools from the 15th of April.

These moves are interesting at this stage. The Guardian also published an article about a study that says that school closures have little impact on the spread of coronavirus.

I doubt people would send their kids back to school here even if they did open. The wise thing is to sit back and watch how these countries are affected when they exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

These are stark predictions for the UK. From the report:

Deaths in the UK are forecast to peak the third week of April, with an estimated 2,932 deaths on April 17. The model shows that the UK will not have enough beds and ICU beds to meet demand, with the shortage peaking at 23,745 ICU beds on April 17, and predicts 66,314 total deaths in the country by August 4.

By comparison, the model predicts 19,029 deaths in Spain by August 4th.

Deaths in the UK are forecast to peak the third week of April, with an estimated 2,932 deaths on April 17. The model shows that the UK will not have enough beds and ICU beds to meet demand, with the shortage peaking at 23,745 ICU beds on April 17, and predicts 66,314 total deaths in the country by August 4.

That model does not have ventilator data for the UK and also presumes there are 799 icu beds, which is clearly incorrect.

I would consider that to be two major flaws in their modeling.

• Advertisement

I find those numbers very hard to believe. Maybe if they introduced no restrictive measures. I still expect about 15000 deaths but 66000 seems extreme. Thats roughly where the US will end up I'd imagine.

threeball wrote: »
    I find those numbers very hard to believe. Maybe if they introduced no restrictive measures. I still expect about 15000 deaths but 66000 seems extreme. Thats roughly where the US will end up I'd imagine.

They reckon 81,000 deaths for the US. It does seem very high for the UK but the institute is highly respected in the field of health data analysis. The late containment measures were cited as a factor for the UK as are the lack of hospital beds, ICU beds and ventilators.

Aegir wrote: »
    That model does not have ventilator data for the UK and also presumes there are 799 icu beds, which is clearly incorrect.

I would consider that to be two major flaws in their modeling.

Indeed. Imperial College also disputes their findings. But you would wonder why they project such a massive death rate for the UK when they project about 20,000 for Italy and Spain and about 15,000 for France.

They reckon 81,000 deaths for the US. It does seem very high for the UK but the institute is highly respected in the field of health data analysis. The late containment measures were cited as a factor for the UK as are the lack of hospital beds, ICU beds and ventilators.

The data for which they have wrong, hence my belief that their model is flawed.

The data for which they have wrong, hence my belief that their model is flawed.

How flawed is the question though. Hopefully, very flawed. But it's not like they don't know how to analyse data or have a hidden agenda against the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Michael Osterholm , the guy who knows the most about this virus I have heard or read , suggested closing schools has little impact, in that many health care workers rely on schools as a means of Child care , and thus can work when schools are open - also he suggests opening essential services to keep society and life functioning , and lessen the impact of other illness , particularly mental health , if the lockdown continues into months I believe many young healthy adults will be severly impacted - Cocoon the elderly and immuno suppressed , practice social distancing be careful , avoid or ban crowded groupings such as concerts - cause we are going to have to live with this virus for at least 12 months - but we must also live and protect others in society too.

How flawed is the question though. Hopefully, very flawed. But it's not like they don't know how to analyse data or have a hidden agenda against the UK.

They have no data for ventilators, so their model probably presumes zero.

I can’t believe that the UK will have four times more fatalities than France. My money would be on the two countries being fairly equally affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

You’ve no argument to counter what I’ve said so we will all just take it that I’ve pretty much summed up your position Trump.
    Own it at least.

They have no data for ventilators, so their model probably presumes zero.

I can’t believe that the UK will have four times more fatalities than France. My money would be on the two countries being fairly equally affected.

They predict that at the peak, in ten days' time, the UK will need 21,000 ventilators. The government itself predicted they might need 30,000. Presently, the UK has about 8,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Those countries are in different stages of pandemic than Ireland or UK. They went stricter at the beginning and a lot of them have manageable numbers sick and numbers not increasing much anymore. It will be very gentle easing anyway.

It seems central European and some nordic countries dealt with Corona better than the rest of Europe. For now at least.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement