Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How relevant to you is the controversy over feminism?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

Feminists have a tendency to use "misogynist" quite a lot. Here people who hold completely opposite views say the other side are misogynists!

#BanGlinner

https://twitter.com/Donna_Beeeee/status/1216266567031435264
    https://twitter.com/TERFsOutOfArt/status/1216305469209399296
    https://twitter.com/JoLippers/status/1216302863384809472

Got an invite today to like the Facebook page of this US-based organisation. Don't intend to like such a page which so narrowly defines the means of analysis that are acceptable

NOMAS - National Organization for Men Against Sexism
    Mission
    Pro-feminist
    Whatever psychological burden men have to overcome, women are still the most universal and direct victims of our patriarchy. Our organization must take a highly visible and energetic position in support of women’s struggle for equality. Our movement was born directly out of and continually nourished by feminism. etc.
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/NomasOrg/about

^^^ Good Lord.

(Quebec, Canada)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

iptba wrote: »
    (Quebec, Canada)

hahahahahah, they eventually start eating their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

(Quebec, Canada)

Well, I'm obviously taking the proverbial p1ss here but...if one looks at things with logic, it IS the obvious next step in the political line these parties and activists are pursuing. Although they probably haven't really thought it in detail :D
    Calhoun wrote: »
    hahahahahah, they eventually start eating their own.

Quite literally in this case, I'd say :D

UK universities told to protect freedom of speech
    Education Secretary Gavin Williamson raised the possibility of regulation if institutions fail to take action.

UK universities must promote “unambiguous” guidance that protects freedom of speech on campus, the Education Secretary has said.

Gavin Williamson has warned institutions that if they fail to take action on academic freedom and free speech there will be consequences, and raised the possibility of regulation.

His comments come amid mounting debate about the issue, with reports of speakers, debates, literature and organisations being opposed or criticised, often by student unions, societies or specific groups of students.

There have also been concerns raised that “no-platforming” – in which an individual or organisation is barred from speaking at a particular event – and “safe space” policies are being used to stifle discussion and shut down debate rather than confront ideas.
    Continues at: https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/uk-universities-told-to-protect-freedom-of-speech-38935247.html

So we are finally turning the corner the idealogues on the run , they need to be hounded and shown they won't be tolerant .

UK parliamentarian (who sounds very much like a feminist) who is proposing a law that misogyny be made a hate crime, objects to misandry also being made a hate crime:
    https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/08/tory-mp-ridicules-misogyny-bill-asking-hate-crime-law-men-12367617/amp/?fbclid=IwAR3p2AfCqEjqVSAMlurEJBmyINNKm4Rj49fCPqrnGAebXyprkTCHmIl-QEo&__twitter_impression=true

UK parliamentarian (who sounds very much like a feminist) who is proposing a law that misogyny be made a hate crime, objects to misandry also being made a hate crime:
    https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/08/tory-mp-ridicules-misogyny-bill-asking-hate-crime-law-men-12367617/amp/?fbclid=IwAR3p2AfCqEjqVSAMlurEJBmyINNKm4Rj49fCPqrnGAebXyprkTCHmIl-QEo&__twitter_impression=true

Thats hilarious apparently equality is ridicule. Things are going to get allot harder in the UK over the next few years, going to be interesting to see how things go when all the niceties are gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

What is very interesting about British politics are gender quotas, both the Labour Party and the Lib Dems have been taking huge strides to attain a gender balance by engaging in female only list systems over the last ten years.

Both parties have been annihilated in the most recent election, possibly the most important election in modern British history...is it because of the fact that they have been watering down their talent?

All I know is that there is a very big split about to occur in the Labour party about whether men who have penises can identify as women.

The cost to all these quota systems will manifest itself over the coming years...Identity politics is a scourge and has no place in the workplace.

The cost to all these quota systems will manifest itself over the coming years...Identity politics is a scourge and has no place in the workplace.

It has no place anywhere... It's divisive and simply reinforces a "us vs them" mentality based on identity. (gender, race, etc).

It's dangerous, and ultimately will lead to far more discrimination than any previous unfair system.

Equality cannot be achieved by projecting one group over another.

It has no place anywhere... It's divisive and simply reinforces a "us vs them" mentality based on identity. (gender, race, etc).

It's dangerous, and ultimately will lead to far more discrimination than any previous unfair system.

Equality cannot be achieved by projecting one group over another.

It's the economic cost I meant...if you have changed the culture with how you promote talent and embraced this "equality" agenda it is dangerous...

Can anyone say the BBC is booming as a result of embracing this, because it is an obvious example of a company we can all see....and it is starting to pay the price...when you consider that in the private sector you don't have any state support to help you with poor decision making, a good ould recession should see some chickens come home to roost!!!

I just listened to the second half of the Late Debate on RTÉ Radio 1.

For the rest of the part of the programme that I heard, as usual, the presenter challenged the panellists about statements they made.

Then it moved on to a discussion about women and power, with an all-female panel so no gender balance there. She prefaced it by asking do people think it would be better if more women were in power. This whole section had a different tone where she didn't challenge people except for the one woman who said she didn't think gender made a difference, who she kept probing to see could she say that because women are the biggest group who are carers, they would be more sympathetic to carers issues. She let the other panellists rant away about things like the gender pay gap and a lack of female CEOs with no challenges.

Not the first time I've seen RTÉ deal with these sorts of issues in this way. Hard to imagine a male presenter with an all-male panel would be allowed have a similar discussion about men.

I just listened to the second half of the Late Debate on RTÉ Radio 1.

For the rest of the part of the programme that I heard, as usual, the presenter challenged the panellists about statements they made.

Then it moved on to a discussion about women and power, with an all-female panel so no gender balance there. She prefaced it by asking do people think it would be better if more women were in power. This whole section had a different tone where she didn't challenge people except for the one woman who said she didn't think gender made a difference, who she kept probing to see could she say that because women are the biggest group who are carers, they would be more sympathetic to carers issues. She let the other panellists rant away about things like the gender pay gap and a lack of female CEOs with no challenges.

Not the first time I've seen RTÉ deal with these sorts of issues in this way. Hard to imagine a male presenter with an all-male panel would be allowed have a similar discussion about men.

Are you really surprised its RTE, they have been supping the kool-aid for a long time.

One of the main joys a SF government might bring is the destruction of it as an institution.

I would point out though its the late panel, and more than likely thats why it was debated then because most listeners would not be tuned in. Its like when they put global village on news talk in its horrible slot.

A screenshot of this with a thumbs up was recently posted to the neighborhood WhatsApp group which hithertofore was reserved for light posts and practical info
    https://www.linkedin.com/posts/thefemalelead_jacinda-ardern-activity-6658979020786540544-nNc4

Pleased to see some pushback on LinkedIn e.g.

Hmm. Who exactly should sit down, shut up? Men in general? I prefer to assess a person’s contribution and talent by what they do, not what their sex is and what they do. Arden may be inspirational, but lets also be clear when comparing actions of one country’s leader to another. New Zealand has a population of 4.8m, less than Ireland at 4.9m and no comparison to 65m in the UK. To The Female Lead, would you add the same ‘let the woman get on w/the job’ headline to May’s leadership?
    —-

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/coronavirus-when-this-is-over-let-us-not-forget-the-women-1.4239130
    Coronavirus: When this is over, let us not forget the women
    Frontline heroes of Covid-19 crisis, our women deserve better pay and protection
    about 19 hours ago
    Frances Fitzgerald
    Those almost 80 per cent of healthcare workers that are female, like women everywhere who earn less than men, need the European Parliament to swiftly adopt legislation to close the gender pay gap.
    There is already equal pay for equal work legislation. But she wants to go further.

Those almost 80 per cent of healthcare workers that are female, like women everywhere who earn less than men, need the European Parliament to swiftly adopt legislation to close the gender pay gap.

What about Gardai, Firemen, etc who are mostly male? Hell, the bin men are still at work, collecting contaminated waste from houses.

I swear we really need to start kneecapping the people who keep pushing these kind of gender bias.

This disease is adversely affecting women. (regarding childcare responsibilities)

Women are on the front line (as above)...as per the jobs they chose.

The countries with female leaders are responding better than the countries who arent.

All complete b####ox of course.

They are like demented teenage girls....

Does every feminist abandon reason and self awareness first or is it they they never had any?

• Advertisement

(Not that important, probably)
    "New film When Women Won chronicles the #Together4Yes campaign

May 25th marks the second anniversary of the vote to repeal the 8th amendment. This moving film captures that incredible journey"
    I just heard a bit of an interview on this on the Pat Kenny radio show.

Men's role in pushing for the change seems to be have written out at a time when people are clambering to write women into past events, this doesn't seem to be reciprocated here.

Moreover, around half the people who were against the referendum proposal were women.

Double Standards for Men No 253: Lynn Ruane v Paul Mescal
    As the actor jogged topless around London, Lidl asked the Senator to rethink her outfit

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/double-standards-for-men-no-253-lynn-ruane-v-paul-mescal-1.4268692
    Doesn't seem like an exact comparison

Some people seem to be exercised by it: this tweet got 75 likes!

https://twitter.com/Clarke3Anne/status/1267445487520620550

Um... I'm pretty sure any man walking topless into a shop would be asked to cover himself. It's certainly not a common thing to see... I can't ever recall seeing it happen. Actually, yesterday, I saw a guy walking outside on the road (residential area) without his top and was surprised. Again, generally not common in public.

The gas thing is that if she could go around topless, she would be complaining about men staring or any comments thrown her way. :rolleyes:

Neither misogyny nor patriarchy. Love the way they just throw that out for something they're thinking... I seem to remember it was my mother who taught us what was polite or not in public, especially in regards to personal dress/undress.

Um... I'm pretty sure any man walking topless into a shop would be asked to cover himself. It's certainly not a common thing to see... I can't ever recall seeing it happen. Actually, yesterday, I saw a guy walking outside on the road (residential area) without his top and was surprised. Again, generally not common in public.

The gas thing is that if she could go around topless, she would be complaining about men staring or any comments thrown her way. :rolleyes:

Neither misogyny nor patriarchy. Love the way they just throw that out for something they're thinking... I seem to remember it was my mother who taught us what was polite or not in public, especially in regards to personal dress/undress.

She likes staying relevant, hasn't had allot of air time since her rant about how she is a second class citizen in Ireland because she is from Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

When I worked in an office I spent many a hot summers day in a suit while my female coworkers wore little tank tops and light skirts with no remark from management. When I suggested tailored shorts and polo shirts for the men (non customer facing job in Finance) I was laughed at. Double standards cut both ways and I‘d say if we were keeping score women would do quite well overall.

I was just thinking about this a bit more: photos of women showing their breasts in newspapers were previously fought against by feminists. Also in this case, a photo of a young male in good physical condition/attractive was published in the Irish Times while I don’t recall them publishing similar (i.e. topless) photos of women. Suddenly I imagine they are not the same thing.

Anyway, I probably shouldn’t try to spend too much energy on feminist logic.

I was just thinking about this a bit more: photos of women showing their breasts in newspapers were previously fought against by feminists. Also in this case, a photo of a young male in good physical condition/attractive was published in the Irish Times while I don’t recall them publishing similar (i.e. topless) photos of women. Suddenly I imagine they are not the same thing.

Anyway, I probably shouldn’t try to spend too much energy on feminist logic.

There is no such thing...arguing with a third wave feminist is like arguing with a spoilt child...best just walkaway...it's no wonder older feminists are embarrassed by the current lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4AJQBT52rk

There is no such thing...arguing with a third wave feminist is like arguing with a spoilt child...best just walkaway...it's no wonder older feminists are embarrassed by the current lot.

Thing is... I don't really see these women as feminists. They're simply people looking to stir up **** by making ignorant remarks. They're not pushing for women's rights or an improvement in the lot for women in society.

Twitter addicts looking for approval.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

You know what I find interesting is that when it comes to gender politics, the vast majority of people I meet (even young ones my age, 20-25) have no interest in this type of stuff.

Though I support body rights, I always found it odd that transgender rights were being advocated for when statistics have shown that they compromise 0.6% of the US population. That is an INCREDIBLY small amount yet we're legislating bathroom laws around them.

David Icke (yea I know he's a cook but some stuff he says is correct) is probablyt right that transgenderism is more likely to do with the transhumanist agenda being pushed on the public.

• Advertisement

Opinion
    Cancellation might feel good, but it's not activism
    Suzanne Moore

While denouncing someone can get you high, it ignores human complexity, and is no substitute for the hard work of persuasion

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/03/cancellation-activism-persuasion-cancel-culture-twitter

Many feminists have been involved in “cancel culture” but don’t like it applied to them. It will be interesting to see how things develop.

Advertisement