Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Justifying Your WorldView to an Impartial Onlooker.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

The question in the OP involves an impartial onlooker. Its not Mark doing to judging, his view and mine are to be judged. By this impartial onlooker.

If the impartial onlooker can't exist then the question is voided, given its reliance on an impartial onlooker.

I would have thought Mark would be as interested in there being an impartial onlooker as I am - if we are to assume he actually is interested in his question being answered.

You evidently are not interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭volchitsa

The question in the OP involves an impartial onlooker. Its not Mark doing to judging, his view and mine are to be judged. By this impartial onlooker.

If the impartial onlooker can't exist then the question is voided, given its reliance on an impartial onlooker.

I would have thought Mark would be as interested in there being an impartial onlooker as I am - if we are to assume he actually is interested in his question being answered.

Except you aren't trying to answer the question. In fact you said there isn't such an observer, and therefore you can't answer the question. That's a dodge, and a pathetic one at that.

Telling other people they aren't interested (in a thread they have chosen to take part in!) is just you being offensive on top of that.

Not a great ad for Christianity, TBF.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

The basic premise is I asked antiskeptic (a theist) how they would convince an impartial onlooker (a hypotethical blank slate, religious-and-empricism-wise) that their worldview (Christianity) is true.

A Christian`s belief is based on faith, not proof. However we can hypothesize on whether or not there is a God who sacrificed his son for us. If it is true, we owe God and that debt needs to be repaid by being self sacrificing ourselves, in other words by loving God and each other.

Sure you can say we don`t know for certain that God exists because we don`t have empirical evidence but that is not a valid excuse if God`s sacrifice did happen. I mean suppose a building collapsed following an earthquake and the rescuers were not sure if there was anyone buried beneath the rubble, they would/should check just in case. If the rescuers don`t bother going to all the trouble of looking because there might be nobody there, that is not something they would be thanked for, especially not by anyone buried in the rubble.

Also, I think there are definite snippets of wisdom in the bible. After all, trust (faith) is better than mistrust and love is better than hate.

That understanding of faith isn't the Christian understanding. At not the Christians I know.

"Faith, the substance of things hoped for (i.e. a hope based on something of substance as opposed to a blind hope), the evidence of things not seen (i.e. the non-empirical realm a.k.a. the spiritual realm) "... is the bibles way of putting it.

There's no 'on the off chance its true' element in there.

volchitsa wrote: »

Except you aren't trying to answer the question. In fact you said there isn't such an observer, and therefore you can't answer the question. That's a dodge, and a pathetic one at that.

Telling other people they aren't interested (in a thread they have chosen to take part in!) is just you being offensive on top of that.

Not a great ad for Christianity, TBF.

Mark Hamill has an agenda. He wants a toe to toe, his worldview vs my worldview ... presented to this impartial onlooker according to the norms of Marks empirical/rational worldview.

When it is queried how such an onlooker can be impartial when measured against my worldview instead of his worldview then its me whose dodging.

The Yanks wanted the same in Vietnam - a WWII style battlefield toe to toe with the NVA. The NVA didn't oblige. And why should they?

Its right to dodge traps. Its not as if Mark should be unaware of the Christian position on mans default view of God.

Talk to him about a poorly framed idea if you like.

-

Mere post writing isn't in itself partaking. Some partake to throw peanuts from the peanut gallery for example. In your case, you don't seem to have an interest in there being an actual impartial onlooker. You just want the question answered despite half the question being void.

Not a great advertisement tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

I'm agnostic myself and someone once told me that nothing can happen without an observer.

Think about that for a second, nothing happens without observation.

The guy who told me this is an Atheist, he doesn't believe in a God, he's doing a lot of soul searching as he's quite a thinker.

He's interested in quantum physics and working with electronics and an electrician for year's.

His thinking is very outside the box that's for sure.

He was explaining to me about quark's atom's and electrons and how they need an observer to do what they do.

My mind cannot comprehend what he's suggesting but it sounds like there's powers at play which we haven't and probably never understand.

When learning to garden one should know the first step is to dig a hole.....and that hole lead's to the potential to your very own paradise :D

Mark Hamill has an agenda. He wants a toe to toe, his worldview vs my worldview ... presented to this impartial onlooker according to the norms of Marks empirical/rational worldview.

When it is queried how such an onlooker can be impartial when measured against my worldview instead of his worldview then its me whose dodging.

The Yanks wanted the same in Vietnam - a WWII style battlefield toe to toe with the NVA. The NVA didn't oblige. And why should they?

Its right to dodge traps. Its not as if Mark should be unaware of the Christian position on mans default view of God.

Talk to him about a poorly framed idea if you like.

-

Mere post writing isn't in itself partaking. Some partake to throw peanuts from the peanut gallery for example. In your case, you don't seem to have an interest in there being an actual impartial onlooker. You just want the question answered despite half the question being void.

Not a great advertisement tbf

The Viet Cong no less. Just wow. I suppose we should be grateful you didn't go the whole hog and Godwin the thread.

My interest was in reading how a practising Christian would explain the basis of their world view to an uninvolved outsider, ie someone with no antipathy to religion but no particular knowledge of it either.

Instead I see this offensive nonsense.

I'm out, but your card is marked as far as I'm concerned. And you're a Christian you say?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Nothing on the point of using the example of the NVA example. There was a point. Nothing.

You don't seem to have gotten the point about uninvolved outsiders (of which there are none) either. This in the context of Mark's agenda.

You don't do toe to toe very well. Deal with the problems presented you. Don't evade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

When are you going to address your LVF pastor style logic though ?

Nothing on the point of using the example of the NVA example. There was a point. Nothing.

You don't seem to have gotten the point about uninvolved outsiders (of which there are none) either. This in the context of Mark's agenda.

You don't do toe to toe very well. Deal with the problems presented you. Don't evade.

Well this is ironic.

When you give a straight answer to any of the questions you've been asked, then you can berate random passers-by in the thread for not replying.

Although maybe you'll even find that if you do reply, then so will they. :)

• Advertisement

Nobelium wrote: »
    When are you going to address your LVF pastor style logic though ?

An athiest is in the same position as a believer: he is convinced that nothing he does will result in his eternal damnation.

Logically (your logic that is) atheists must necessarily become like LVF pastors on the basis of this get out of jail free card.

Well this is ironic.

When you give a straight answer to any of the questions you've been asked, then you can berate random passers-by in the thread for not replying.

Although maybe you'll even find that if you do reply, then so will they. :)

Ask a straight question then. Or are you still beating Marks crooked drum for him.

If you dinnae think its crooked then raise an argument regarding its straigtness.

Last chance at the bleating saloon.

An athiest is in the same position as a believer: he is convinced that nothing he does will result in his eternal damnation.

Logically (your logic that is) atheists must necessarily become like LVF pastors on the basis of this get out of jail free card.

this isnt what i asked you.

How does a Christian believing themselves to be saved, allow them to go murdering people with God's blessing, or at the very least without any judgement from him ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Ask a straight question then. Or are you still beating Marks crooked drum for him.

If you dinnae think its crooked then raise an argument regarding its straigtness.

Mod warning: Be civil, address the post and not the poster please. Further posts of this nature will be deleted and result in a card. Thanks for your attention.

Ask a straight question then.
    I did. At least twice. Summed up here for instance
    My interest was in reading how a practising Christian would explain the basis of their world view to an uninvolved outsider, ie someone with no antipathy to religion but no particular knowledge of it either.
    You've ignored it in favour of dishing out personal abuse.
    There is no reason why you can't reply to that question, if you wished to.
    Or are you still beating Marks crooked drum for him.

You should probably think about what that post of yours is really saying.

You should probably think about what that post of yours says about you.

Mod: As above, please avoid personal comments. Thanking you.

• Advertisement

this isnt what i asked you.

How does a Christian believing themselves to be saved, allow them to go murdering people with God's blessing, or at the very least without any judgement from him ?

Firstly, we don't know if he's a Christian. I read an Irish census result a few years back that saw 90% (or some such figure) identify as Christian (RC in the main in that case, I suppose).

The problem is that a self declaration doesn't tell us whether the person is a Christian (ie: born again of God) or a cultural Christian (who isn't born again of God but simply adopts the practices and identity of (a version of) Christianity.

Secondly, born again Christians have murdered - Moses springs to mind.

I referred earlier to John Newton (writer of Amazing Grace) who continued as a slave captain (in which the death rate of slaves during voyages was such as to amount to murder).

God takes the person as they are and attempts to steer them in the direction he wants them to go in (which isn't to murder, whatever about the person believing he does condone it).

He doesn't perform a personality change. Nor does he wipe out the life experience, emotional damage, selfishness (sin and the effect of sin i.o.w.) present in a person before they are saved. They were and remain sinners. They remain affected by the product of sin.

Change can and does occur - John Newton later became an abolishionist, for example.

Every believer will remain in a tension between the path they (their born again self) wants to follow and the sin disease within which draws them down another path. It will stay that way until they die, to greater or lesser degree.

Murder is an extreme sin but it is but sin. A very damaged, twisted individual becomes a believer? The damage and twistedness don't necessarily disappear.

I did. At least twice. Summed up here for instance
    You've ignored it in favour of dishing out personal abuse.
    There is no reason why you can't reply to that question, if you wished to.

You should probably think about what that post of yours is really saying.

Your entered a thread with a particular set up: judgment of two world views by impartial onlooker.

Your first post took exception to the problem I raised with constructing this impartial onlooker.

(You might confirm or otherwise that an impartial onlooker is central to this threads aim being realised?)

You are now deemed, by me, on the basis of your lack of interest in the necessity for an impartial onlooker, as sharing the agenda of the OP.

If, along the way, you've genuinely come to want to know how a Christian would make his case to a (in your eyes, neutral/in the Christians eyes antagonistic by default) person) then head to the Christianity forum and open a thread to that effect.

This thread is about something else: an empiricists agenda struggling for purchase.

The problem is that a self declaration doesn't tell us whether the person is a Christian (ie born again of God) or a cultural Christian (who isn't born again of God but simply adopts the practices and identity of (a version of Christianity).

And again we see the No true Scotsman fallacy coming out. If a person declares themselves to be a Christian for whatever reason, you're hardly in a position to categorically state otherwise. That they do not conform to your understanding of Christianity is simply your opinion. It is entirely possible that you similarly do not conform to theirs. Your point above amounts to no more than sectarianism.

You are now deemed, by me, on the basis of your lack of interest in the necessity for an impartial onlooker, as sharing the agenda of the OP.

Mod: And you are now deemed by me to have continued to play the man rather than the ball after being warned not to and have been carded for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

robindch wrote: »
    So far as I can understand antiskeptic's tortured prose, (s)he is claiming that the idea that one can curry favour with some deity by helping your fellow humans is so evil that it could only ever have issued from the poisonous, fetid folds of Satan's sphincter.It's a standard, though hardline, protestant interpretation of christianity in which the idea of "good works" - itself not unrelated to the Ancient Egyptian idea of Maat - is not believed necessary to eternal life in the company of the deity. The hardline protestant view is that eternal life can be purchased from the deity at the low, low cost of simply convincing oneself that the deity offered it in the first place. The bible, predictably, supports both positions depending on which bit one believes and which bit one ignores.

Protestantism = belief that "saving" exists, plus acceptance of this belief
    Catholicism = belief that "saving" exists, plus acceptance of this belief; plus "good works"; veneration of Mary; Vatican + priests are channel to god; transubstantiation; and so on.

I am familiar with the theological ideas I think Antiskeptic is expressing due to years of studying the various interpretations of Christianity that were floating around during the Reformation. It's not a million miles from Knox [snipped to to misinterpretation on my part]
    The most common view of "good works" expressed by those of a Calvinist bent were that they matter not a jot when it came to salvation due to predestination : a person was 'saved' or they were not 'saved' - nothing could change this. Not good works, not baptism, nothing. It was decided by God before you were born and you wouldn't find out until after you die. But... someone who was saved was likely to perform good works due to they being saved.
    At least that was what John Calvin himself had to say on the matter.

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    And again we see the No true Scotsman fallacy coming out. If a person declares themselves to be a Christian for whatever reason, you're hardly in a position to categorically state otherwise.

You'd have to point out where I 'categorically stated otherwise'. A bit to quick on the fallacy draw there smacl?

I did raise a problem: just because someone says they are something doesn't make them something.

NTS would say something like 'no true Christian would murder'. Whereas I said true Christians have and do murder.

You'd have to point out where I 'categorically stated otherwise'. A bit to quick on the fallacy draw there smacl?

I did raise a problem: just because someone says they are something doesn't make them something.

NTS would say something like 'no true Christian would murder'. Whereas I said true Christians have and do murder.

So by that logic, from my perspective as an atheist, what suggests to me that you are a Christian and someone else who considers themselves a Christian is not? For example, once a Catholic has been baptized they have been "born again of water and the Spirit" as far as they're concerned. By your own argument, there's no need for 'good work' beyond this, so your cultural Catholic is clearly every bit as Christian as any other Christian.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I am familiar with the theological ideas I think Antiskeptic is expressing due to years of studying the various interpretations of Christianity that were floating around during the Reformation. It's not a million miles from Knox, but even he stopped short at stating that doing good works was doing Satan's work. Or perhaps he (Knox) hadn't gotten around to that being too busy foaming at the mouth at the amount of female rulers he found himself surrounded by.
    The most common view of "good works" expressed by those of a Calvinist bent were that they matter not a jot when it came to salvation due to predestination : a person was 'saved' or they were not 'saved' - nothingcould change this. Not good works, not baptism, nothing. It was decided by God before you were born and you wouldn't find out until after you die. But... someone who was saved was likely to perform good works due to they being saved.
    At least that was what John Calvin himself had to say on the matter.

You'd have to point out where I said doing good works was necessarily doing satan's work.

Good works mattering not a jot to your salvation isn't just a Calvinist idea.

Good works mattering not a jot to your salvation isn't just a Calvinist idea.

I never said it was, I merely said that I am familiar with that belief due to reading Calvin who laid out his entire thought process with his usual lawyerly precision. Calvin was one of the first to clearly express and successfully promulgate these ideas - in 1536 he published the first edition of Institutes of the Christian Religion and his ideas differed in many important areas from the likes of Luther.

That's the thing isn't it - many different interpretations of the same texts which claim very different things are truly Christian. How on Earth is in impartial onlooker supposed to know which, if any, is correct?

The concept of Predestination also rules out repentance as a path to salvation. Do you agree with Calvin on this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

It's not a million miles from Knox, but even he stopped short at stating that doing good works was doing Satan's work.
    Antiskeptic's tortured, creaking prose doesn't quite say that.

(S)he does say that in order to sit forever at god's high table, a necessary and sufficient condition is to believe genuinely that a seat is being offered. And that all the kindness in the world won't help you - it's a very basic binary choice - genuinely believe and you sit there, don't genuinely believe and you won't. And if you believe that kindness can help you in some way (say, gain a better seat, or make up for some lack of genuinness of belief), well, that wrong-headed belief itself satanic - not the doing good works bit.

You'd have to point out where I said doing good works was necessarily doing satan's work.

Good works mattering not a

Mea Culpa.
    I will amend my post.
    Apologies to Antiskeptic for misinterpretation on my part.

Firstly, we don't know if he's a Christian. I read an Irish census result a few years back that saw 90% (or some such figure) identify as Christian (RC in the main in that case, I suppose).

The problem is that a self declaration doesn't tell us whether the person is a Christian (ie: born again of God) or a cultural Christian (who isn't born again of God but simply adopts the practices and identity of (a version of) Christianity.

Secondly, born again Christians have murdered - Moses springs to mind.

I referred earlier to John Newton (writer of Amazing Grace) who continued as a slave captain (in which the death rate of slaves during voyages was such as to amount to murder).

God takes the person as they are and attempts to steer them in the direction he wants them to go in (which isn't to murder, whatever about the person believing he does condone it).

He doesn't perform a personality change. Nor does he wipe out the life experience, emotional damage, selfishness (sin and the effect of sin i.o.w.) present in a person before they are saved. They were and remain sinners. They remain affected by the product of sin.

Change can and does occur - John Newton later became an abolishionist, for example.

Every believer will remain in a tension between the path they (their born again self) wants to follow and the sin disease within which draws them down another path. It will stay that way until they die, to greater or lesser degree.

Murder is an extreme sin but it is but sin. A very damaged, twisted individual becomes a believer? The damage and twistedness don't necessarily disappear.

Sounds exactly like Pastor Billy Wright's LVF sermons, once you are saved you can then go out and rape rob murder and pillage innocent people all you like, safe the in the knowledge God is on your side (all your doctrine is missing now is the Muslim terrorist's 72 virgins sopt prize), you can keep your twisted version of Christianity / westboro baptist church thanks.

(S)he does say that in order to sit forever at god's high table, a necessary and sufficient condition is to believe genuinely that a seat is being offered.

You would have to quote where I said/inferred that.

I did say this to smacl

"I didn't believe in God, heaven or hell before I was saved and for a time afterwards. So that part of your piece doesn't work very well. I prayed to an unbelieved in God because there was no one else to turn to."

Since I was saved (a.k.a. obtained a forever seat at God's high table) before having any evidence for God's existence, I couldn't have fulfilled the criteria you say I say is necessary.

And that all the kindness in the world won't help you

I had something to say on this the last time you said it (30th May). It can help (genuine kindness by the lost) - but not in the direct, 'works swing the scales to salvation' sense.

Sounds exactly like Pastor Billy Wright's LVF sermons, once you are saved you can then go out and rape rob murder and pillage innocent people all you like, safe the in the knowledge God is on your side (all your doctrine is missing now is the Muslim terrorist's 72 virgins sopt prize), you can keep your twisted version of Christianity / westboro baptist church thanks.

Your failure to deal with the problems you face (not least, is this pastor a Christian?) is noted.

Your failure to deal with the problems you face (not least, is this pastor a Christian?) is noted.

What a surprise, another non answer from antiskeptic when the rubbish is exposed.

• Advertisement

I never said it was, I merely said that I am familiar with that belief due to reading Calvin who laid out his entire thought process with his usual lawyerly precision. Calvin was one of the first to clearly express and successfully promulgate these ideas - in 1536 he published the first edition of Institutes of the Christian Religion and his ideas differed in many important areas from the likes of Luther.

That's the thing isn't it - many different interpretations of the same texts which claim very different things are truly Christian. How on Earth is in impartial onlooker supposed to know which, if any, is correct?

You know my stance on impartial onlookers.

But lets take the case of genuine believers who differ. For they do (that is, folk who I recognize as genuine believers differ - particularily virulently in the case of Calvinist vs Arminians)

What does it matter ultimately? Each individual believer has his own preexisting influences, faults, strengths, motivations.

Each is responsible for himself before God. If someone ploughs an inaccurate furrow, if he encourages others to do same (with them responsible in turn for themselves) then thats an issue between him and God. God will know to what extent the inaccuracy was damaging, wilful, due to influences outside the persons control, etc.

Nobody will be lost because of someone elses faulty theology. Salvation is a God > individual matter. The mechanism of salvation transcends religion, education, intelligence etc.

The concept of Predestination also rules out repentance as a path to salvation. Do you agree with Calvin on this?

No I don't. There are only a few verses which mention predestination. They are verses addressed at believers aka those in Christ aka the saved.

It is said, for example, that "God predestined us to x,y,z."

"Us" is the believer/those in Christ/the saved. Thus what is predestined is that which is to occur to the saved. The saved shall have this and that applied to them.

They are not predestined to be saved in the first place.

I find Calvinism a rather mangled view. Take TULIP's U (for unconditional election). Its holds that there is no condition (or involvement) of man. Salvation is applied by God's sovereign choice (with the criteria for his choosing this one and not that one undefined. It's simply a mystery).

Now you can find biblical support for excluding certain conditions (a man working, for example) but you can't find support for excluding all possible conditions, since that would require that:

a) all possible conditions are known

b) the bible excludes them all.

The bible would have to be a lot thicker (in the Y axis sense) to achieve that.

So I don't understand the basis whereby the U is installed in TULIP.

What a surprise, another non answer from antiskeptic when the rubbish is exposed.

Is pastor billy a Christian? If he is not then what?

He thought he was. He became a born again Christian in 1983. Who gets to say if he was wrong? You? How would you tell?

Also, you said you were saved but didn't yet believe in God. So what was the evidence that you had already been saved?

(Not that I expect a straight answer to this, but I'm just pointing out a couple of the more glaring problems with what you say.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,653 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I did say this to smacl

"I didn't believe in God, heaven or hell before I was saved and for a time afterwards. So that part of your piece doesn't work very well. I prayed to an unbelieved in God because there was no one else to turn to."

Since I was saved (a.k.a. obtained a forever seat at God's high table) before having any evidence for God's existence, I couldn't have fulfilled the criteria you say I say is necessary.

I had something to say on this the last time you said it (30th May). It can help (genuine kindness by the lost) - but not in the direct, 'works swing the scales to salvation' sense.

What evidence do you possess now? How would you present this evidence to a person who knew nothing about your (or any other) god?

I did say this to smacl

What evidence do you possess now? How would you present this evidence to a person who knew nothing about your (or any other) god?

For the purposes of this thread everbody knows something of my (and their) God. The knowledge isn't empirical, but no matter.

I'm afraid I'm sticking to topic on the matter of justifying my position (which has stalled on the matter of the impartial observer it would seem).

The Christianity forum is probably the place to go for your more general question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,653 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

For the purposes of this thread everbody knows something of my (and their) God. The knowledge isn't empirical, but no matter.

I'm afraid I'm sticking to topic on the matter of justifying my position (which has stalled on the matter of the impartial observer it would seem).

The Christianity forum is probably the place to go for your more general question.

So you would rather not answer my question? Strange stance to take but that's your choice i suppose.

He thought he was. He became a born again Christian in 1983. Who gets to say if he was wrong? You? How would you tell?

Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. If he isn't then he's a lost sinner at the further end of the sin spectrum.

If he's a found sinner then he's at the same end of the sin spectrum.

All found sinners fall somewhere along the sin spectrum. Would he be worse if not a Christian (assuming he is one)? Has he 'backslidden' (a phenomenon whereby a Christian slides backwards down the spectrum?

So many questions. How would I know? I suppose by talking to him. Say he acknowledged his sin as sin but found himself entrapped in hatred. I'd understand that: knowing what its like to know how I should live but finding I can't.

Also, you said you were saved but didn't yet believe in God. So what was the evidence that you had already been saved?

I could look back when I had more understanding and see, in retrospect, the point at which I was saved. I didn't know it at the time though
    (Not that I expect a straight answer to this, but I'm just pointing out a couple of the more glaring problems with what you say.)

Hopefully straightforward enough?

Like yourself, LVF commander Pastor Billy Wright certainly claimed he was, and like yourself claimed he could murder all he liked because he was already saved.

So you would rather not answer my question? Strange stance to take but that's your choice i suppose.

I would have thought it would be obvious rather than strange.

Let's say I start giving reasons for my certainty (to folk who aren't impartial). Those same folk, who have found their worldview higher ground isn't anyway as high as they thought, will leap thankfully on the opportunity offered by thread recalibration (the disappearance of the need for an impartial onlooker).

They will, sure as night follows day, start challenging on the basis of their worldview (as if that established higher ground). "No empirical evidence"

You might as well open the stable door..

• Advertisement

Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. If he isn't then he's a lost sinner at the further end of the sin spectrum.

All found sinners fall somewhere along the sin spectrum. Would he be worse if not a Christian (assuming he is one)? Has he 'backslidden' (a phenomenon whereby a Christian slides backwards down the spectrum?

So many questions. How would I know? I suppose by talking to him. Say he acknowledged his sin as sin but found himself entrapped in hatred. I'd understand that: knowing what its like to know how I should live but finding I can't?
    Why do you need to talk to him to know? Why not just take his word for it?

You seem to be saying that you can be the judge of whether or not he's saved - as I say, he always considered that he was, after his "born again" experience. So why do you need to talk to him to find out whether he's right or not, and what makes you a better judge than him?
    I could look back when I had more understanding and see, in retrospect, the point at which I was saved. I didn't know it at the time though
    This really is the question that interests me : how did you know, in retrospect?

And why are you somewhat reluctant to to take Billy Wright at his word about himself when you believe that you are capable of judging for yourself?
    Still seems a bit inconsistent TBH. For the reasons I've pointed out above.
    But if you can explain what it was that told you, even in hindsight, that you were saved, then quite possibly yes.

Like yourself, LVF commander Pastor Billy Wright certainly claimed he was, and like yourself claimed he could murder all he liked because he was already saved.

I think I said he could murder and he wouldn't lose his salvation. Which is slightly different. The way you phrase suggests someone who isn't a murderer becomes on merely because they are saved.

Certainly a person can take this freedom from the possibility of damnation and consider it a licence to sin as they feel (if they feel murder a sin as opposed to carrying out God's will, as some hold).

Whichever, there are consequences, just not damnation. The believing murderer, whether knowingly sinning or believing he is doing God's will is opposing God.

God will not be mocked. A sinner, believer or no, reaps what he sows. A believing murderer will suffer the same torment or death of self which a non believing murderer suffers.

And there is nothing halting God's discipline- unto taking you out if the game of life altogether

Being a believer doesn't necessarily protect you from God's general oversight.

I think I said he could murder and he wouldn't lose his salvation. Which is slightly different. The way you phrase suggests someone who isn't a murderer becomes on merely because they are saved.

Certainly a person can take this freedom from the possibility of damnation and consider it a licence to sin as they feel (if they feel murder a sin as opposed to carrying out God's will, as some hold).

Whichever, there are consequences, just not damnation. The believing murderer, whether knowingly sinning or believing he is doing God's will is opposing God.

God will not be mocked. A sinner, believer or no, reaps what he sows. A believing murderer will suffer the same torment or death of self which a non believing murderer suffers.

And there is nothing halting God's discipline- unto taking you out if the game of life altogether

But he's been saved. How does that mean anything if it doesn't mean that his sins - including murder - will automatically be forgiven? in what way is he different from someone who isn't saved if he commits murder and gets the usual (eternal?) punishment for murder?

Or are we meant to think that because he's saved, he'll only get a minor punishment for murder, whereas someone who wasn't saved but tries to live a good life will go to hell anyway?

So many questions. How would I know? I suppose by talking to him. Say he acknowledged his sin as sin but found himself entrapped in hatred. I'd understand that: knowing what its like to know how I should live but finding I can't?
    Why do you need to talk to him to know? Why not just take his word for it?

You seem to be saying that you can be the judge of whether or not he's saved - as I say, he always considered that he was, after his "born again" experience. So why do you need to talk to him to find out whether he's right or not, and what makes you a better judge than him?
    This really is the question that interests me : how did you know, in retrospect?

And why are you somewhat reluctant to to take Billy Wright at his word about himself when you believe that you are capable of judging for yourself?
    Still seems a bit inconsistent TBH. For the reasons I've pointed out above.
    But if you can explain what it was that told you, even in hindsight, that you were saved, then quite possibly yes.

As I've pointed out a number of times in this thread, it would be fruitless, and somewhat self defeating to dispense with the OP's impartial onlooker.

The stumbling block of the impossible impartial onlooker serves my purpose. This thread will go the way of the dodo - the impartial onlooker never produced. When (as will surely occur) folk get back to demanding evidence which conforms to their partial worldview I will remind them of our time together here.

As for Billy? Well I'm far more in position to judge all that happened me than judge what another said happened to them. Thats simple enough.

Additionally and generally, one would expect something as transformative as coming face to face (as it were) with utter good to produce change towards good. Hence I have some doubt.

Nevertheless, having seen the lack of transformation in my own life, if operating in a somewhat lower league of sin than murder, I'm prepared to accept that a Billy or slave ship operator can occur side by side with having been saved.

Like I have said, Hitler could have been saved. The extent of God's willingness to reach down into the depths to haul someone to salvation is limitless.

The only thing that will prevent a persons salvation, it would seem, is that they will it not to the very end.

Reiterating re: your last point. Everything we consider ourselves as knowing finds its ultimate root in that which satisfies oneself, whether a philosophy, whether a method, whether the fact that others too find the method satisfactory.

What convinced me won't in any way convince you. Or convince you that had you been in my shoes you would have been convinced. There are too many subtlities, too many details involved in building the picture as to why it all fit, for me, such as to make it even begin to fit for you.

Suffice to say perhaps is that the drumbeat message of the bible (in relation to the condition of a man who arrives at the point of falling to his knees is desparation. Nowhere else to go. Abraham, thief on a cross, man lowered through a hole dug by his friends in the roof above Jesus' head, the ruler centurion deigning SS officer-like before a Jew, to appeal to Jesus concerning his dying child.

I think the only way you will be convinced is when or if you find yourself with no one to turn to. But needing someone to turn to.

It's ironic that Christianity is caricatured as a person needing a crutch. The caricature couldn't be more spot on.

The gospel is, as they say, good news for people who know they are shagged. And bad news to people who think they are sorted.

As I've pointed out a number of times in this thread, it would be fruitless, and somewhat self defeating to dispense with the OP's impartial onlooker.

The stumbling block of the impossible impartial onlooker serves my purpose. This thread will go the way of the dodo - the impartial onlooker never produced. When (as will surely occur) folk get back to demanding evidence which conforms to their partial worldview I will remind them of our time together here

Well at least you've now admitted that you need to cling to something to avoid engaging with the discussion.

But then there's this:
    As for Billy? Well I'm far more in position to judge all that happened me than judge what another said happened to them. Thats simple enough.

Ah no. That won't do. You said you could judge BW by talking to him. Surely he's in a better position to say what his situation is than you are?

Or if not, then nor can you tell anyone else about yourself, and someone would need to talk to you to evaluate your position - which of course is exactly what you're doing your very best to avoid. Presumably because you know that you can't - and yet you implied that BW could when you said you could work it out by talking to him.

Additionally and generally, one would expect something as transformative as coming face to face (as it were) with utter good to produce change towards good. Hence I have some doubt.

Nevertheless, having seen the lack of transformation in my own life, if operating in a somewhat lower league of sin than murder, I'm prepared to accept that a Billy or slave ship operator can occur side by side with having been saved.

Like I have said, Hitler could have been saved. The extent of God's willingness to reach down into the depths to haul someone to salvation is limitless.

The only thing that will prevent a persons salvation, it would seem, is that they will it not to the very end.

Reiterating re: your last point. Everything we consider ourselves as knowing finds its ultimate root in that which satisfies oneself, whether a philosophy, whether a method, whether the fact that others too find the method satisfactory.

What convinced me won't in any way convince you. Or convince you that had you been in my shoes you would have been convinced. There are too many subtlities, too many details involved in building the picture as to why it all fit, for me, such as to make it even begin to fit for you.

Suffice to say perhaps is that the drumbeat message of the bible (in relation to the condition of a man who arrives at the point of falling to his knees is desparation. Nowhere else to go. Abraham, thief on a cross, man lowered through a hole dug by his friends in the roof above Jesus' head, the ruler centurion deigning SS officer-like before a Jew, to appeal to Jesus concerning his dying child.

I think the only way you will be convinced is when or if you find yourself with no one to turn to. But needing someone to turn to.

It's ironic that Christianity is caricatured as a person needing a crutch. The caricature couldn't be more spot on.

The gospel is, as they say, good news for people who know they are shagged. And bad news to people who think they are sorted.
    I still can't see why you won't say what proved to you that you had been saved.

Seems strangely unforthcoming given how much you're able to post about other people, but hey.

But he's been saved. How does that mean anything if it doesn't mean that his sins - including murder - will automatically be forgiven? in what way is he different from someone who isn't saved if he commits murder and gets the usual (eternal?) punishment for murder?

Or are we meant to think that because he's saved, he'll only get a minor punishment for murder, whereas someone who wasn't saved but tries to live a good life will go to hell anyway?

Its a bit technical I'm afraid.

A person (assume the Christian position for the moment) is made up of spirit/mind/body and operates as a cascade: spirit on top

Sin infests the spirit and the infestation rolls down: mind thinks crookedly, body dies, etc. The spirit informs the mind, the mind concieves of the sin and instructs the body to execute the sin.

Salvation results in the crucifixion and resurrection of the spirit. Born again.

Pisser is, the mind and the body, the two mortal elements, don't undergo this process (not until they die and are too resurrected and rejoined to the born again spirit).

The sin-disinfected mind and body aren't mortal anymore, since it is sin that kills.

The Christian is legally different. They, by permitting their being put to death via repentance (surrender) and to their surprise, being reborn, aren't held accountable for subsequent sin in the same way that someone who refuses the 'offer'

They are accountable: they will suffer the effects of their sin whilst they live and, it appears, will be positioned in the newly recreated earth (it too being redeemed from the infestation of sin: storms, decay, eaethquakes, disease) according to the degree to which they walked in alignment with God (i.e. fought sin within their mortal minds and bodies)

The unbeliever, in refusing salvation is held to a different account. They, in effect, chose not to align with God by way of surrender. And go to a destination where God's isn't present but where all that God stands against is present. That place is called Hell.

It's not so much punishment as being placed where they choose to be placed. Yes, they will have nothing to do for all eternity but to experience such an awful environment. But ultimately, God's grants their will be done in a two option choice.

You might see then, that it's not the sin or the comparative severity of it that matters. What matters is your overall status: whether you've resisted being being brought to the point of surrender in the battle God fights for your spirit. Resisting being brought to surrender is, in effect, refusal of salvation. Since surrender saves.

The 'good' person isn't good at root - for their ultimate alignment is with that which opposes God. They might live a better life.
    But the ultimate credit for that goes to the giver of conscience which enables good.

I would expect that just as 'in Heaven' there will, in Hell, be degrees of position, depending on what was done whilst 'in the body'. So far as what you do counts it will count in that way.

But the global situation: whether in God's (goods) presence or the opposite place, the currency is bigger than your individual acts good and bad.

It's total surrender of that most key part of you that changes everything - you can give no more than your total self. Not your mortal body, not your mortal mind. But your immortal spirit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

That understanding of faith isn't the Christian understanding. At not the Christians I know.

"Faith, the substance of things hoped for (i.e. a hope based on something of substance as opposed to a blind hope), the evidence of things not seen (i.e. the non-empirical realm a.k.a. the spiritual realm) "... is the bibles way of putting it.

There's no 'on the off chance its true' element in there.

Not all believers believe for the same reasons. In fact, there are probably as many reasons as there are believers. In the movie Blood Diamond, there is a scene where the school teacher says to Danny Archer (Leonardo di Caprio): "Non of us know which path will lead us to God." I agree with this.

It is true there is no `on the off chance` (not my words) but as I say, faith is believing in possibility, without evidence. Faith is in fact required to be a believer.

The stumbling block of the impossible impartial onlooker serves my purpose. This thread will go the way of the dodo - the impartial onlooker never produced. When (as will surely occur) folk get back to demanding evidence which conforms to their partial worldview I will remind them of our time together here

Well at least you've now admitted that you need to cling to something to avoid engaging with the discussion.

But then there's this:

Ah no. That won't do. You said you could judge BW by talking to him. Surely he's in a better position to say what his situation is than you are?

Or if not, then nor can you tell anyone else about yourself, and someone would need to talk to you to evaluate your position - which of course is exactly what you're doing your very best to avoid. Presumably because you know that you can't - and yet you implied that BW could when you said you could work it out by talking to him.

I still can't see why you won't say what proved to you that you had been saved.

Seems strangely unforthcoming given how much you're able to post about other people, but hey.

Having the thread flounder has utility. It underlines the partiality of those who regularily suppose themselves impartial (a.k.a. empiricism is a neutral/best assessment method for how we know things).

I'm in a position to form a judgment on whether BW has undergone what I've undergone. When asked to comment on him I would need to form a better judgment than the one I have: a statement by a randomer on the web.

A carpenter taking on a new employee is in a position, by way of conversation, to assess whether the guy he's considering taking on is a carpenter too. It's not a proof, the guy could still turn out cral. Its a judgment, a better informed one.

Or should we just take what prospective employees say on face value?

That a carpenter can't, by way of conversation, convince someone who knows nothing about carpentry that he's indeed a carpenter, isn't necessarily the carpenters lack.

Blindness on the part of the person he's talking to is the problem.

Having the thread flounder has utility. It underlines the partiality of those who regularily suppose themselves impartial (a.k.a. empiricism is a neutral/best assessment method for how we know things).

I'm in a position to form a judgment on whether BW has undergone what I've undergone. When asked to comment on him I would need to form a better judgment than the one I have: a statement by a randomer on the web.

A carpenter taking on a new employee is in a position, by way of conversation, to assess whether the guy he's considering taking on is a carpenter too. It's not a proof, the guy could still turn out cral. Its a judgment, a better informed one.

Or should we just take what prospective employees say on face value?

That a carpenter can't, by way of conversation, convince someone who knows nothing about carpentry that he's indeed a carpenter, isn't necessarily the carpenters lack.

Blindness on the part of the person he's talking to is the problem.

You seem to be assuming that what you have undergone is the only way and this give you authority to judge the validity of other's experiences. Yet, it could be what they have undergone that is, in fact, authentic.

As for carpenters - firstly wood is something we can all see so the working with wood is hardly some unknowable needing faith. Secondly, people across the globe have developed many different ways and techniques of working with wood each of them equally valid. A carpenter in Ireland used to Irish wood and techniques is not necessarily the best judge of the skills of a carpenter from Mozambique. Good carpenters recognize that they can learn from other carpenters not judge them because they make have different ways of doing things.

As for convincing someone who knows nothing about carpentry that one is a carpenter - happens all the time - there are even whole TV shows dedicated to exposing dodgy carpenters (and builders, mechanics, electricians, etc etc). How does the impartial observer know that you are what you claim? After all, to the reader you are just some randomer on the internet..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Works can be defined as ' following, by act of a persons own will, the the prescribed/ believed to be prescribed ordinances of a system (or their own interpretation of a system) in order to obtain the reward associated with having followed them'.

Yet, you can have not 'worked' a jot in your life and be saved in a second. An athiest up to the point of salvation can't have worked, can they?

God works. He works by utilising the effects of your sin in your life. Sin brings pain (the stick unbelievers no nothing about). Pain's function is always to tell you that something is up.

He also, on the positive side (the carrot unbelievers know nothing about) works on the longing within you (if you long) for things to be as they ought to be: fair, equitable, joyous, worry free...

(If you've ever looked at all the locks we employ: our cars, our houses, our wheelie bins (a burglar once used them to scale our garden wall), our lock-ers, our bicycles, our smartphones, our bank accounts .. and yearned for a place where locks weren't required. Well, He works with that.)

If the pain becomes too great. If the longing becomes too unbearable. Then what?

You have described the way in which you think God works, but you have not explained why Gods choice to "work on" someone (a particular someone) isn't arbitrary.

On God's caring about a (now) child self/others harm?

You're probably more interested in the effect on the believing sinner than the effect on God. Right?

1. The first effect is the ordinary effect. Sin causes trouble. I, a believer, rob a bank I go to jail. I sleep with someone other than my wife I feel guilt and shame .. and if she finds out she might leave me. I drink to excess, I get fat or get cirrhosis of the liver. Normal, everyday stuff.

I say 'guilt, shame' above. I'd feel the same guilt and shame for cheating on my wife as an unbeliever who feels guilt and shame for cheating on his wife.

But I'd have an additional problem: my father. I'd have cheated on him as well.

(You'll know, if you watch football, the chagrin of a defender hoofing a dangerous crossed ball into his own net?

A believer sinning is like a defender, knowingly, willingly, hoofing a ball into their own net.)

When saved you realise there are two distinct and separate sides: good and evil. And that somehow, you've been transferred to the side of good.

A believer sinning is, effectively, taking a bribe from the other side to score an own goal.

Then again, I'm a sinner. That drug still flows through my veins. God knows this too .. and doesn't condemn

We might, for instance, know Nike scores zero on the scale of corporate responsibility. We nevertheless fall for the ad-men manipulation, the bribe referred to above, parking the inconvenient wider, ugly truth for the desire of the present.

As Robin Williams noted: we don't want Ms. Right. We want Ms. Right Now.

Tension thus:

- no condemnation from God. Just a father distraught at the self harm/harm to others.

-no peace when I rush headlong down the path of sin.

So Gods caring is the simple cause and effect of doing damaging things, either on a biological system (e.g. illness from drinking or eating to excess) or psychological system (e.g. guilt, shame etc. from doing something you later regret).
    Does this mean all examples of such damaging effects are a direct result of God "caring"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

A Christian`s belief is based on faith, not proof. However we can hypothesize on whether or not there is a God who sacrificed his son for us. If it is true, we owe God and that debt needs to be repaid by being self sacrificing ourselves, in other words by loving God and each other.

Sure you can say we don`t know for certain that God exists because we don`t have empirical evidence but that is not a valid excuse if God`s sacrifice did happen. I mean suppose a building collapsed following an earthquake and the rescuers were not sure if there was anyone buried beneath the rubble, they would/should check just in case. If the rescuers don`t bother going to all the trouble of looking because there might be nobody there, that is not something they would be thanked for, especially not by anyone buried in the rubble.

Also, I think there are definite snippets of wisdom in the bible. After all, trust (faith) is better than mistrust and love is better than hate.

But there are others putting their worldviews forward too, worldviews that inherently contradict yours (be they other religions, philosophies or empirical worldviews). What do you think would make your worldview stand out to an impartial onlooker? Why does it stand out to you over any other?

• Advertisement
Advertisement