Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justifying Your WorldView to an Impartial Onlooker.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,409 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Do I detect a hint of anger in your tone. Anger does not impress God. I suggest you repent.

So avoid what was said and insult the poster instead?

Not very christian of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Pherekydes wrote: »
    When Jesus was born, God told Joseph to sneak away to Egypt with Jesus. He abandoned the innocents to their fate. A simple message to the parents would have sufficed.

When the Nazis came to power God herself sneaked away and abandoned the Jews to their fate.

Sounds like a towering creep.

P.S. while I've been typing this, a few hundred children have starved to death in Africa.

It was Herod who had the children killed, not God. Some of the Jews were crucified by the Nazis. God did warn the Jews, "weep not for me but for your children." And of course the sins of the father will visit the sons.

The children who died in Africa did so because of sin (war, corruption, colonial legacy etc). God would have them live in paradise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Do I detect a hint of anger in your tone. Anger does not impress God. I suggest you repent.

Suggest away, but I'd suggest in turn that anger doesn't impress you god as in my own humble opinion your god is no more than a fantasy for the credulous.

That said, I honestly have no issue with what people choose to believe, only with how they behave. So for example, if you decide not to follow a given course of action because it is a sin in your belief system, that's fine by me. If you suggest that I don't follow a given course of action because it is a sin in your belief system however, we have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,409 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It was Herod who had the children killed, not God. Some of the Jews were crucified by the Nazis. God did warn the Jews, "weep not for me but for your children." And of course the sins of the father will visit the sons.

The children who died in Africa did so because of sin (war, corruption, colonial legacy etc). God would have them live in paradise.

Erm, many die from famine, famine bought on by a "god" that doesn't make it rain there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Which God?
    There are so many Gods worshipped by so many people.
    So many versions of even what is apparently the only God.

All you can say really is the version you personally believe in is not impressed by anger (or at least you believe he/she/it isn't) but perhaps the other versions are very impressed by anger.

Also, what is the point of repenting if the believers in Predestination are correct sure it's all be decided long before anyone gets angry about anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

volchitsa wrote: »
    Why would God make everyone inherently antagonistic to him?

He didn't make them. Sin made them thus. God made man perfect, man corrupted himself and that corrupted spiritual DNA rolls on down to all offspring.

Why did God allow a situation whereby man could corrupt himself? Free will. And something to chose from (otherwise the free will couldn't express)

If he wanted it to be a test or something, wouldn't it be enough just to make them inherently neutral to him?

As it happens, a perfectly functional choice-in-effect is available in the existing situation. God attempts to save man and does all the work in achieving it. Unless man wills it not. That's the only thing that can prevent salvation, you resist God's effort.

Given man isn't a neutral entity, the normal operation of choice won't work. Normally the person is neutral and is faced with two options and they will for this one or that one. Will in both direction.

Since will is antagonisic from the get go, that normal way of choosing won't work. So God steps into the breech. His will pulls the person towards salvation. The persons will pulls them to damnation.

Which FWIW is what I think people who haven't been brought up in a religion actually are, and not antagonistic.

You would say that.

Seems like wallowing in victimhood to develop a world view in which people are inherently antagonistic to the God who, you think, created and loves them.[/quote]

It's not so much developed as either the way it is or not the way it is. I hold that it is the way it is.

Especially as this is based on no evidence at all

You (a partial onlooker) would say that.

apparently, given the multiple forms in which people have actively sought, or more likely created, a notion of God or gods throughout human history. I would say that people have traditionally very much wanted there to be a God. Or several. So I wonder where this idea of antagonism comes from.

A pointed out, those gods are performance based gods. There is a good reason for creating performance-based gods (rather, created by satan and followed by people). It means the gods are attractive. I mean: so long as you adhere to this and that rule, there is a whole lot you can do that doesn't fall under the rules.

Satan is quiet happy with that. I use happy in a figure of speech way. Satan can't be happy.

Except by you and a few others because you have been "chosen" by this God, who nevertheless we are told, loves everybody - is that the idea?

See above. It's those who resist the attempt to save who aren't saved. God doesn't choose as such.

The resistence doesn't happen in the conscious arena, so it doesn't matter that someone is an atheist. Athiests can be saved just as anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭volchitsa

He didn't make them. Sin made them thus. God made man perfect, man corrupted himself and that corrupted spiritual DNA rolls on down to all offspring.

Of course he made them, or else he's not God. All powerful, omniscient etc, which means he chose to make man as he is. especially as you said we are born antagonistic to God - but babies don't choose sin do they?

So where is the baby's free will when it's born? The free will not to be antagonistic to God?
    Oh the baby doesn't get that sort of free will, right?

No, we are concerned with your worldview versus any and all others, that is the scenario of my initial question. Please stop trying to move my goalposts and strawmanning my question.

Fair enough. The impartial observer needs to be impartial to any and all worldviews. Mine and and any or all others.

I meant no impartiality of any worldview.

I'm not sure what that means. Perhaps you meant no partiality towards any worldview? That's not achievable in practice, hence your hypothetical to circumvent that practical problem

As it is an hypothetical onlooker and therefore not supposed to be real, the only failure is your failure to openly engage with thread.

"Not real" doesn't mean the hypothetical has no characteristics. They presumably have to be equipped in some way to be able to evaluate the positions.

Can they think? That's a characteristic

Can they speak the language the positions are communicated in? That's a characteristic.

Have they a base conceptual understanding of the principles of the worldview they are assessing? Have they experience in the empirical world and have they the physical senses, such as to understand, for example, the empiricists position? That's a characteristic.

Etc.

The only one claiming a non-impartial onlooker is you

The only one claiming an impartial onlooker is you and other atheists. Hardly an imprimateur.

Robindch dealt with the hypothetical "up is the same as down" by sweeping up and down from the table with his x/y 2D world. There is no such thing as up and down in a 2d world such as to make a characterless hypothetical up is the same as down possible. "Up is hypothetically the same as down" (the statement) isn't the same as saying there is no up and down.

Except I have repeatedly said I will not do that. Are you saying I'm lying?

Let's see what you have to say about the impartial onlooker's characteristics. I suspect we'll find that you grant them those that are convenient to your position, but not to mine (of two worldviews of the any number you're considering).

Even if I am lying, why would that stop you from answering the question? Surely you have answered such a question to yourself, when you arrived at your worldview instead of any other?

I had some information to go on that you can't understand. So little point. I await your impartial onlooker. Not a Christian but suitably equipped (as your non-empiricist but suitably equipped onlooker could assess your position from the information you give him). I can't think of their characteristics, but maybe you can?

I already covered this possibility a few times, that you don't believe you could convince someone if they didn't already have their eyes opened by God.

I wouldn't need to convince someone if their eyes were already opened by God.
    That's why I asked the second question of the thread, if they don't believe why do you? And before you say "because my eyes have been opened",

Because my eyes were opened, and only because of that. You can't reason or empiricize (or whatever other characteristics you might assign) someone to belief. Wrong currency.
    how do you account for people of contradictory religious worldviews making the same claims about themselves?

Why do you exclude empiricism from this? You presumably believe as you do because you are convinced by the evidence available to you. Presumably they are convinced for the same reason.

Whose right (if any right). Roll up the Impartial Onlooker suitably equipped to evaluate.

In the event the contradictions are fatal (e.g. there is no God, or the faith in question is clearly God-antagonistic) as opposed to detail (the faith follows the same principles involved in saving faith: trust in God/god, recognition of own sinfulness, repentance), then I would account for it by lost (the former)/perhaps found (the latter).

Found people can be found without knowing the mechanics of it. They need never have heard of Jesus Christ in order to have been saved through him. Abraham is a case in point

As I've said on numerous occasions: I expect people of all faiths and none to be "in heaven". Indeed, the bible appears to indicate they will be surprised, when standing before God to find out they were saved.

This just repeats what you said already. Can you answer the question:
    Does this mean all examples of such damaging effects are a direct result of God "caring"?

I outlined as least two damaging effects of sin on the believer: God's presence (or rather his withdrawal) and the normal effects on sin as they effect everyone: drink drive and you lose your licence, believer or no.

Which category are you interested in?

God caring has two elements: caring that those he loves get damaged by the natural outcome of sin (a loving caring). And cares (in the sense that it's a serious matter to him) because he is God and hates sin.

He doesn't direct the damage: sin does the damage without his intervention (drive drunk and crash into a wall).

See above. It's those who resist the attempt to save who aren't saved. God doesn't choose as such.

The resistence doesn't happen in the conscious arena, so it doesn't matter that someone is an atheist. Athiests can be saved just as anyone else.

So not by their free will then? Just luck?

So not by their free will then? Just luck?

You haven't got free will. You're born antagonistic towards God, remember. Left to your own devices you'd chose against him every time.

So he balances the pre-tipped scales by sitting on one side of it, making it an "effective free will"

There's nothing lucky about it. If you end up in hell, it's because, despite the rebalancing of the choice by him sitting on the bent scales, you still willed it not.

Will isn't luck.

• Advertisement

You haven't got free will. You're born antagonistic towards God, remember. Left to your own devices you'd chose against him every time.

So he balances the pre-tipped scales by sitting on one side of it, making it an "effective free will"

There's nothing lucky about it. If you end up in hell, it's because, despite the rebalancing of the choice by him sitting on the bent scales, you still willed it not.

Will isn't luck.
    Where does all this "theory" come from, I've never come across all this before in our religion classes or indeed anywhere?
    With all due respect, you do seem to be just making it up as you go along AFAICT.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

A hypothetical doesn't actually have to be possible to work.

Atheists, ladies and gentlemen. Frame this quote and put it on your wall, alongside your painting of Jesus Christ.

Will isn't luck.
    Where does all this "theory" come from, I've never come across all this before in our religion classes or indeed anywhere?
    With all due respect, you do seem to be just making it up as you go along AFAICT.
    Hobosan wrote: »
    A hypothetical doesn't actually have to be possible to work.

Atheists, ladies and gentlemen. Frame this quote and put it on your wall, alongside your painting of Jesus Christ.

We are to imagine a hypothetical deaf, mute, brain dead impartial observer who doesn't speak English lying in his hospital bed with myself and Mark sitting either side outlining our positions.

Above his bedstead, nailed to the wall is this framed quote.

We must therefore persevere. I think not.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

We are to imagine a hypothetical deaf, mute, brain dead impartial observer who doesn't speak English lying in his hospital bed with myself and Mark sitting either side outlining our positions.

Cause its far fetched?

You believe a man once lived that could create food from nothing, walk on water and had zombie powers. Yet the hypothetical above is far fetched? :pac:

I think the above hypothetical is far more believable to be honest. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

There are three person`s in one God. To sacrifice one`s son cannot be easy even for a mere mortal who cannot love as God loves. You also forget that Christ entered willingly into his passion and he did so for humanity. After all, a man can have no greater love than to give his life for his friends, so Christ is a friend to anyone open to receive his friendship.

So god sacrificed someone who was happy to be sacrificed, in order to show how important sacrifice in his name is? Still doesn't really answer my question. For an all powerful being, it's not really a sacrifice, is it?
    I have already addressed the second paragraph in an earlier post.

Which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

There are three person`s in one God. To sacrifice one`s son cannot be easy even for a mere mortal who cannot love as God loves.

Ahhhh the Jarvis Cocker conundrum as I call it.

In the song Common People the girl was trying to see what it was like to live like the Common People. The main narrator of the song eventually comes to the realisation that she can never truly understand their condition however.

Why?

Because she has an out. She can ring daddy at any time when things hit their lowest and get out of the situation she is in. Having that "out" means she will never truly feel as they do.

I would say the same of the god in your fantasy fairy tales. That god can never actually understand sacrifice, loss, grief, pain involved in the death of their son. Because at any point when the pain gets too much he can merely will the son back alive again. Show me any human parent who can do that?

It is a mockery of the word "sacrifice" to use it in relation to the Nazarene fable in other words. Jesus did not die. God did not "sacrifice" anything. Said son is said to be sitting in eternal bliss and dominion at his fathers right hand. That is not a sacrifice. That is an upgrade. That is not "giving us his only son" that is LENDING us one for a period of time that is not even an eye blink in eternity.

Your christian fables are a mockery and an insult to anyone who actually has lost a child and to anyone who actually has made a real sacrifice for another person, a place, or an ideal. Your god does not.... literally COULD not.... understand either.

You say "a man can have no greater love than to give his life for his friends" is 100% true. Your Christ did not do that however. The very real men and women who gave their lives with no expectation of an eternal after life or a reward of eternal bliss and dominion..... THEY experienced and demonstrated the attributes of real love.

Had the Christian narrative been one where God OFFERED eternal bliss and dominion to his son but his son chose the true death in lieu of that offer.... and god suffered that loss and grief and shock and surprise........ that would be a story and a sacrifice worth the telling of the story. One that could be told without shame or insult or mockery to the real love and the real suffering in our world.

But instead your lads opted for something more fitting a Marvel Comic book where people die but somehow never manage to stay dead all the time.

Ahhhh the Jarvis Cocker conundrum as I call it.

In the song Common People the girl was trying to see what it was like to live like the Common People. The main narrator of the song eventually comes to the realisation that she can never truly understand their condition however.

Why?

Why indeed. Also why is it that 'Common people' as sung by the captain of the Starship Enterprise seems to capture the right mix of incredulity and outright fantasy when I read this thread? Even manages to throw in a much needed face-palm on the album cover :pac:

Fair enough. The impartial observer needs to be impartial to any and all worldviews. Mine and and any or all others.

In my hypothesis, the impartial viewer is impartial.
    I'm not sure what that means. Perhaps you meant no partiality towards any worldview? That's not achievable in practice, hence your hypothetical to circumvent that practical problem

It means that you tried to strawman my hypothesis into me being the onlooker (and therefore not impartial as you don't believe my world view is impartial) and I caught you out on it. The onlooker is impartial. Our worldviews may or may not be impartial, but we cannot say so because you are unable to answer the question and describe your worldview.
    "Not real" doesn't mean the hypothetical has no characteristics. They presumably have to be equipped in some way to be able to evaluate the positions.

Can they think? That's a characteristic

Can they speak the language the positions are communicated in? That's a characteristic.

Have they a base conceptual understanding of the principles of the worldview they are assessing? Have they experience in the empirical world and have they the physical senses, such as to understand, for example, the empiricists position? That's a characteristic.

Etc.

[SNIP]

Let's see what you have to say about the impartial onlooker's characteristics. I suspect we'll find that you grant them those that are convenient to your position, but not to mine (of two worldviews of the any number you're considering).

[SNIP]

I await your impartial onlooker. Not a Christian but suitably equipped (as your non-empiricist but suitably equipped onlooker could assess your position from the information you give him). I can't think of their characteristics, but maybe you can?

All of this has been covered. They will listen (and therefore are capable of understanding),without a pre-conceived empirical or non-empirical worldview, any argument you care to make. So why don't you make one?
    The only one claiming an impartial onlooker is you and other atheists. Hardly an imprimateur.

It's my hypothetical I can claim what I like about it, as long as I am consistent (which I have been since the start). Like I said before, get your own goalposts and stop trying to move mine.
    I had some information to go on that you can't understand. So little point.

Why would stop you from explaining it? You have posted a lot in this, trying to justify your beliefs, why stop here?
    Why do you exclude empiricism from this?

Because I am asking about your religious belief as opposed to other religious beliefs.
    You presumably believe as you do because you are convinced by the evidence available to you. Presumably they are convinced for the same reason.

Whose right (if any right). Roll up the Impartial Onlooker suitably equipped to evaluate.

In the event the contradictions are fatal (e.g. there is no God, or the faith in question is clearly God-antagonistic) as opposed to detail (the faith follows the same principles involved in saving faith: trust in God/god, recognition of own sinfulness, repentance), then I would account for it by lost (the former)/perhaps found (the latter).

Found people can be found without knowing the mechanics of it. They need never have heard of Jesus Christ in order to have been saved through him. Abraham is a case in point

As I've said on numerous occasions: I expect people of all faiths and none to be "in heaven". Indeed, the bible appears to indicate they will be surprised, when standing before God to find out they were saved.

I did not ask why you think people arrive at different (mirroring but contradictory) religious beliefs to you, or what you think happens to them after they die. I asked how do you account for them when you decide that your beliefs are the right ones.
    I outlined as least two damaging effects of sin on the believer: God's presence (or rather his withdrawal) and the normal effects on sin as they effect everyone: drink drive and you lose your licence, believer or no.

Which category are you interested in?

God caring has two elements: caring that those he loves get damaged by the natural outcome of sin (a loving caring). And cares (in the sense that it's a serious matter to him) because he is God and hates sin.

He doesn't direct the damage: sin does the damage without his intervention (drive drunk and crash into a wall).

So god "cares" but doesn't actually do anything. And all of the effects of sin are indistinguishable from cause and effect - drink driving causing a crash. What about sin where nothing bad happens to you, because you get away with it?

Hobosan wrote: »

Got a problem with what I said?

As has been repeatedly explained, that is not the hypothetical that started the thread, so please stop lying about it.

• Advertisement

I think the suspension of disbelief required to imagine a person with this impartial worldview is negligible. If you look at the OP's criterion, 'a hypothetical blank slate, religious-and-empricism-wise', anyone raised on the basis of a non-religious philosophy would fit the bill nicely, e.g. someone from a closed humanist community. Whether or not they do exist, they most certainly could exist from a hypothetical standpoint. No need to be deaf, mute, brain dead or have any other disability you might inflict on them in order to attempt to ridicule the OP's argument.

If you can imagine that Christian mythology might be true it should be well within your capacity to imagine the above.

Got a problem with what I said?

Mod warning: Keep it civil please. Thanks.

So your entire argument, the reason you have avoided my question for so long is that you can't convince someone of your worldview unless they are significantly on their way to believing it?

Ahhh it was been quite a few years since I have seen, heard from, or thought about the greasy but aptly named Matt Slick. But you just made him pop right back into my head. Actually last I heard of him was when his daughter came out as atheist and.... if memory recalls..... came public about all kinds of horrible abuse she suffered at her fathers hands. Though I might be mixing him up there, so apologies if I am!

Anyway... he advocated a form of Christian Theism Apologetics which he called "Presuppositionalism" which is basically the position that he can prove to you god exists and Christianity is the one true religion.... if you would only make the small concession of accepting up front that god exists and Christianity is the one true religion.

To refuse to make that concession was in his view close minded and biased and unfair to him and almost malicious.
    The idea that this child who was brought up with no knowledge of religion thereby becomes impervious to the very idea of God seems to run counter to the whole missionary aspect of Christianity.

I think it also goes against much of evolutionary biology too. We have evolved things like the intentional stance and hyper active agency detection.

We are at the level of our very biology therefore, predisposed to the fantasy that an intentional agent is at work behind the reality around us and the things that happen there.

The idea therefore that a child brought up in an environment sterile to religious thinking would be less inclined towards religious memetic infection is for me like saying that someone brought up on an island entirely sterile of bacteria would be less inclined to catch the common cold.

In fact for both memetic and genetic infection I would say A) he would still be very much inclined to become infected and B) having never built up any immunity perhaps even MORE so.

We exist in the universe and we do not know how or why this situation has arisen. As demonstrated by the theists who post on this thread......... and forum over the years......... they have not a shred of argument, evidence, data or reasoning that suggests that whatever the explanation turns out to be..... that a non-human intelligent and intentional agent was involved.
    smacl wrote: »
    So for example, if you decide not to follow a given course of action because it is a sin in your belief system, that's fine by me.

Not to single you out here but just thinking out loud I wonder if we can push on that one a little, just for fun :)

There are parents, some of them now thankfully serving justice in jail cells, who refused to bring medical treatment to their own children..... sometimes for relatively easy to manage medical conditions..... leading to the children suffering greatly or even dying. They did this because the medical intervention was an affront to the god they worship.

So they decided not to follow a given course of action because it was a sin in their belief system.

Is that fine by us? Should it be?

Not to single you out here but just thinking out loud I wonder if we can push on that one a little, just for fun :)

There are parents, some of them now thankfully serving justice in jail cells, who refused to bring medical treatment to their own children..... sometimes for relatively easy to manage medical conditions..... leading to the children suffering greatly or even dying. They did this because the medical intervention was an affront to the god they worship.

So they decided not to follow a given course of action because it was a sin in their belief system.

Is that fine by us? Should it be?

Of course not, but then parents aren't their children are they? If as an adult, they refused the medical treatment for themselves, I'd think them dumb but happy enough to let them proceed. Denying your child medical treatment because it does not accord with your belief system is not the same and personally I'd consider it abuse. This illustrates the boundary between where the rights of a parent ends and the rights of the child begin.

Ah ok I see the distinction then which I missed before. They are refusing a course of action based on their faith FOR THEMSELVES. But refusing a course of action in general, especially where others are involved, was not what we were referring to there?

That distinction makes it clearer for me I think. Sorry if it should have been obvious to me the first time around.

Ah ok I see the distinction then which I missed before. They are refusing a course of action based on their faith FOR THEMSELVES. But refusing a course of action in general, especially where others are involved, was not what we were referring to there?

That distinction makes it clearer for me I think. Sorry if it should have been obvious to me the first time around.

For me a basic principal of secularism is that a persons religious beliefs cannot be used to excuse trampling all over the human rights of someone else, even if that someone else is that person's child. On that basis, I'm of the opinion that most Christians in this country are also secularist, and that more doctrinaire Christians are in the minority here at least.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

smacl wrote: »
    I'm of the opinion that most Christians in this country are also secularist, and that more doctrinaire Christians are in the minority here at least.

Social changes in our country and landslide YES votes would certainly back that opinion up

Erm, many die from famine, famine bought on by a "god" that doesn't make it rain there.

Erm, famines are almost always man made. War displaces people and interrupts trade routes and supply systems. Deforestation causes soil erosion and climate change. etc etc etc

Bannasidhe wrote: »

Also, what is the point of repenting if the believers in Predestination are correct sure it's all be decided long before anyone gets angry about anything?

I think they think their destiny is predetermined because they believe in pre destiny (or something like that). Sounds a bit like chasing your tail to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I think they think their destiny is predetermined because they believe in pre destiny (or something like that). Sounds a bit like chasing your tail to me.

Are you saying, just to be clear, that what a person believes determines their destiny?

Advertisement