Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justifying Your WorldView to an Impartial Onlooker.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

volchitsa wrote: »
    Nothing on the point of using the example of the NVA example. There was a point. Nothing.

You don't seem to have gotten the point about uninvolved outsiders (of which there are none) either. This in the context of Mark's agenda.

You don't do toe to toe very well. Deal with the problems presented you. Don't evade.

Well this is ironic.

When you give a straight answer to any of the questions you've been asked, then you can berate random passers-by in the thread for not replying.

Although maybe you'll even find that if you do reply, then so will they. :)

Ask a straight question then. Or are you still beating Marks crooked drum for him.

If you dinnae think its crooked then raise an argument regarding its straigtness.

Last chance at the bleating saloon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

An athiest is in the same position as a believer: he is convinced that nothing he does will result in his eternal damnation.

Logically (your logic that is) atheists must necessarily become like LVF pastors on the basis of this get out of jail free card.

this isnt what i asked you.

How does a Christian believing themselves to be saved, allow them to go murdering people with God's blessing, or at the very least without any judgement from him ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Ask a straight question then. Or are you still beating Marks crooked drum for him.

If you dinnae think its crooked then raise an argument regarding its straigtness.

Mod warning: Be civil, address the post and not the poster please. Further posts of this nature will be deleted and result in a card. Thanks for your attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Ask a straight question then.
    I did. At least twice. Summed up here for instance
    My interest was in reading how a practising Christian would explain the basis of their world view to an uninvolved outsider, ie someone with no antipathy to religion but no particular knowledge of it either.
    You've ignored it in favour of dishing out personal abuse.
    There is no reason why you can't reply to that question, if you wished to.
    Or are you still beating Marks crooked drum for him.

You should probably think about what that post of yours is really saying.

You should probably think about what that post of yours says about you.

Mod: As above, please avoid personal comments. Thanking you.

• Advertisement

Nobelium wrote: »
    this isnt what i asked you.

How does a Christian believing themselves to be saved, allow them to go murdering people with God's blessing, or at the very least without any judgement from him ?

Firstly, we don't know if he's a Christian. I read an Irish census result a few years back that saw 90% (or some such figure) identify as Christian (RC in the main in that case, I suppose).

The problem is that a self declaration doesn't tell us whether the person is a Christian (ie: born again of God) or a cultural Christian (who isn't born again of God but simply adopts the practices and identity of (a version of) Christianity.

Secondly, born again Christians have murdered - Moses springs to mind.

I referred earlier to John Newton (writer of Amazing Grace) who continued as a slave captain (in which the death rate of slaves during voyages was such as to amount to murder).

God takes the person as they are and attempts to steer them in the direction he wants them to go in (which isn't to murder, whatever about the person believing he does condone it).

He doesn't perform a personality change. Nor does he wipe out the life experience, emotional damage, selfishness (sin and the effect of sin i.o.w.) present in a person before they are saved. They were and remain sinners. They remain affected by the product of sin.

Change can and does occur - John Newton later became an abolishionist, for example.

Every believer will remain in a tension between the path they (their born again self) wants to follow and the sin disease within which draws them down another path. It will stay that way until they die, to greater or lesser degree.

Murder is an extreme sin but it is but sin. A very damaged, twisted individual becomes a believer? The damage and twistedness don't necessarily disappear.

I did. At least twice. Summed up here for instance
    You've ignored it in favour of dishing out personal abuse.
    There is no reason why you can't reply to that question, if you wished to.

You should probably think about what that post of yours is really saying.

Your entered a thread with a particular set up: judgment of two world views by impartial onlooker.

Your first post took exception to the problem I raised with constructing this impartial onlooker.

(You might confirm or otherwise that an impartial onlooker is central to this threads aim being realised?)

You are now deemed, by me, on the basis of your lack of interest in the necessity for an impartial onlooker, as sharing the agenda of the OP.

If, along the way, you've genuinely come to want to know how a Christian would make his case to a (in your eyes, neutral/in the Christians eyes antagonistic by default) person) then head to the Christianity forum and open a thread to that effect.

This thread is about something else: an empiricists agenda struggling for purchase.

The problem is that a self declaration doesn't tell us whether the person is a Christian (ie born again of God) or a cultural Christian (who isn't born again of God but simply adopts the practices and identity of (a version of Christianity).

And again we see the No true Scotsman fallacy coming out. If a person declares themselves to be a Christian for whatever reason, you're hardly in a position to categorically state otherwise. That they do not conform to your understanding of Christianity is simply your opinion. It is entirely possible that you similarly do not conform to theirs. Your point above amounts to no more than sectarianism.

You are now deemed, by me, on the basis of your lack of interest in the necessity for an impartial onlooker, as sharing the agenda of the OP.

Mod: And you are now deemed by me to have continued to play the man rather than the ball after being warned not to and have been carded for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

robindch wrote: »
    So far as I can understand antiskeptic's tortured prose, (s)he is claiming that the idea that one can curry favour with some deity by helping your fellow humans is so evil that it could only ever have issued from the poisonous, fetid folds of Satan's sphincter.It's a standard, though hardline, protestant interpretation of christianity in which the idea of "good works" - itself not unrelated to the Ancient Egyptian idea of Maat - is not believed necessary to eternal life in the company of the deity. The hardline protestant view is that eternal life can be purchased from the deity at the low, low cost of simply convincing oneself that the deity offered it in the first place. The bible, predictably, supports both positions depending on which bit one believes and which bit one ignores.

Protestantism = belief that "saving" exists, plus acceptance of this belief
    Catholicism = belief that "saving" exists, plus acceptance of this belief; plus "good works"; veneration of Mary; Vatican + priests are channel to god; transubstantiation; and so on.

I am familiar with the theological ideas I think Antiskeptic is expressing due to years of studying the various interpretations of Christianity that were floating around during the Reformation. It's not a million miles from Knox [snipped to to misinterpretation on my part]
    The most common view of "good works" expressed by those of a Calvinist bent were that they matter not a jot when it came to salvation due to predestination : a person was 'saved' or they were not 'saved' - nothing could change this. Not good works, not baptism, nothing. It was decided by God before you were born and you wouldn't find out until after you die. But... someone who was saved was likely to perform good works due to they being saved.
    At least that was what John Calvin himself had to say on the matter.

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    And again we see the No true Scotsman fallacy coming out. If a person declares themselves to be a Christian for whatever reason, you're hardly in a position to categorically state otherwise.

You'd have to point out where I 'categorically stated otherwise'. A bit to quick on the fallacy draw there smacl?

I did raise a problem: just because someone says they are something doesn't make them something.

NTS would say something like 'no true Christian would murder'. Whereas I said true Christians have and do murder.

You'd have to point out where I 'categorically stated otherwise'. A bit to quick on the fallacy draw there smacl?

I did raise a problem: just because someone says they are something doesn't make them something.

NTS would say something like 'no true Christian would murder'. Whereas I said true Christians have and do murder.

So by that logic, from my perspective as an atheist, what suggests to me that you are a Christian and someone else who considers themselves a Christian is not? For example, once a Catholic has been baptized they have been "born again of water and the Spirit" as far as they're concerned. By your own argument, there's no need for 'good work' beyond this, so your cultural Catholic is clearly every bit as Christian as any other Christian.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I am familiar with the theological ideas I think Antiskeptic is expressing due to years of studying the various interpretations of Christianity that were floating around during the Reformation. It's not a million miles from Knox, but even he stopped short at stating that doing good works was doing Satan's work. Or perhaps he (Knox) hadn't gotten around to that being too busy foaming at the mouth at the amount of female rulers he found himself surrounded by.
    The most common view of "good works" expressed by those of a Calvinist bent were that they matter not a jot when it came to salvation due to predestination : a person was 'saved' or they were not 'saved' - nothingcould change this. Not good works, not baptism, nothing. It was decided by God before you were born and you wouldn't find out until after you die. But... someone who was saved was likely to perform good works due to they being saved.
    At least that was what John Calvin himself had to say on the matter.

You'd have to point out where I said doing good works was necessarily doing satan's work.

Good works mattering not a jot to your salvation isn't just a Calvinist idea.

Good works mattering not a jot to your salvation isn't just a Calvinist idea.

I never said it was, I merely said that I am familiar with that belief due to reading Calvin who laid out his entire thought process with his usual lawyerly precision. Calvin was one of the first to clearly express and successfully promulgate these ideas - in 1536 he published the first edition of Institutes of the Christian Religion and his ideas differed in many important areas from the likes of Luther.

That's the thing isn't it - many different interpretations of the same texts which claim very different things are truly Christian. How on Earth is in impartial onlooker supposed to know which, if any, is correct?

The concept of Predestination also rules out repentance as a path to salvation. Do you agree with Calvin on this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

It's not a million miles from Knox, but even he stopped short at stating that doing good works was doing Satan's work.
    Antiskeptic's tortured, creaking prose doesn't quite say that.

(S)he does say that in order to sit forever at god's high table, a necessary and sufficient condition is to believe genuinely that a seat is being offered. And that all the kindness in the world won't help you - it's a very basic binary choice - genuinely believe and you sit there, don't genuinely believe and you won't. And if you believe that kindness can help you in some way (say, gain a better seat, or make up for some lack of genuinness of belief), well, that wrong-headed belief itself satanic - not the doing good works bit.

You'd have to point out where I said doing good works was necessarily doing satan's work.

Good works mattering not a

Mea Culpa.
    I will amend my post.
    Apologies to Antiskeptic for misinterpretation on my part.

Firstly, we don't know if he's a Christian. I read an Irish census result a few years back that saw 90% (or some such figure) identify as Christian (RC in the main in that case, I suppose).

The problem is that a self declaration doesn't tell us whether the person is a Christian (ie: born again of God) or a cultural Christian (who isn't born again of God but simply adopts the practices and identity of (a version of) Christianity.

Secondly, born again Christians have murdered - Moses springs to mind.

I referred earlier to John Newton (writer of Amazing Grace) who continued as a slave captain (in which the death rate of slaves during voyages was such as to amount to murder).

God takes the person as they are and attempts to steer them in the direction he wants them to go in (which isn't to murder, whatever about the person believing he does condone it).

He doesn't perform a personality change. Nor does he wipe out the life experience, emotional damage, selfishness (sin and the effect of sin i.o.w.) present in a person before they are saved. They were and remain sinners. They remain affected by the product of sin.

Change can and does occur - John Newton later became an abolishionist, for example.

Every believer will remain in a tension between the path they (their born again self) wants to follow and the sin disease within which draws them down another path. It will stay that way until they die, to greater or lesser degree.

Murder is an extreme sin but it is but sin. A very damaged, twisted individual becomes a believer? The damage and twistedness don't necessarily disappear.

Sounds exactly like Pastor Billy Wright's LVF sermons, once you are saved you can then go out and rape rob murder and pillage innocent people all you like, safe the in the knowledge God is on your side (all your doctrine is missing now is the Muslim terrorist's 72 virgins sopt prize), you can keep your twisted version of Christianity / westboro baptist church thanks.

(S)he does say that in order to sit forever at god's high table, a necessary and sufficient condition is to believe genuinely that a seat is being offered.

You would have to quote where I said/inferred that.

I did say this to smacl

"I didn't believe in God, heaven or hell before I was saved and for a time afterwards. So that part of your piece doesn't work very well. I prayed to an unbelieved in God because there was no one else to turn to."

Since I was saved (a.k.a. obtained a forever seat at God's high table) before having any evidence for God's existence, I couldn't have fulfilled the criteria you say I say is necessary.

And that all the kindness in the world won't help you

I had something to say on this the last time you said it (30th May). It can help (genuine kindness by the lost) - but not in the direct, 'works swing the scales to salvation' sense.

Sounds exactly like Pastor Billy Wright's LVF sermons, once you are saved you can then go out and rape rob murder and pillage innocent people all you like, safe the in the knowledge God is on your side (all your doctrine is missing now is the Muslim terrorist's 72 virgins sopt prize), you can keep your twisted version of Christianity / westboro baptist church thanks.

Your failure to deal with the problems you face (not least, is this pastor a Christian?) is noted.

Your failure to deal with the problems you face (not least, is this pastor a Christian?) is noted.

What a surprise, another non answer from antiskeptic when the rubbish is exposed.

• Advertisement

I never said it was, I merely said that I am familiar with that belief due to reading Calvin who laid out his entire thought process with his usual lawyerly precision. Calvin was one of the first to clearly express and successfully promulgate these ideas - in 1536 he published the first edition of Institutes of the Christian Religion and his ideas differed in many important areas from the likes of Luther.

That's the thing isn't it - many different interpretations of the same texts which claim very different things are truly Christian. How on Earth is in impartial onlooker supposed to know which, if any, is correct?

You know my stance on impartial onlookers.

But lets take the case of genuine believers who differ. For they do (that is, folk who I recognize as genuine believers differ - particularily virulently in the case of Calvinist vs Arminians)

What does it matter ultimately? Each individual believer has his own preexisting influences, faults, strengths, motivations.

Each is responsible for himself before God. If someone ploughs an inaccurate furrow, if he encourages others to do same (with them responsible in turn for themselves) then thats an issue between him and God. God will know to what extent the inaccuracy was damaging, wilful, due to influences outside the persons control, etc.

Nobody will be lost because of someone elses faulty theology. Salvation is a God > individual matter. The mechanism of salvation transcends religion, education, intelligence etc.

The concept of Predestination also rules out repentance as a path to salvation. Do you agree with Calvin on this?

No I don't. There are only a few verses which mention predestination. They are verses addressed at believers aka those in Christ aka the saved.

It is said, for example, that "God predestined us to x,y,z."

"Us" is the believer/those in Christ/the saved. Thus what is predestined is that which is to occur to the saved. The saved shall have this and that applied to them.

They are not predestined to be saved in the first place.

I find Calvinism a rather mangled view. Take TULIP's U (for unconditional election). Its holds that there is no condition (or involvement) of man. Salvation is applied by God's sovereign choice (with the criteria for his choosing this one and not that one undefined. It's simply a mystery).

Now you can find biblical support for excluding certain conditions (a man working, for example) but you can't find support for excluding all possible conditions, since that would require that:

a) all possible conditions are known

b) the bible excludes them all.

The bible would have to be a lot thicker (in the Y axis sense) to achieve that.

So I don't understand the basis whereby the U is installed in TULIP.

What a surprise, another non answer from antiskeptic when the rubbish is exposed.

Is pastor billy a Christian? If he is not then what?

He thought he was. He became a born again Christian in 1983. Who gets to say if he was wrong? You? How would you tell?

Also, you said you were saved but didn't yet believe in God. So what was the evidence that you had already been saved?

(Not that I expect a straight answer to this, but I'm just pointing out a couple of the more glaring problems with what you say.)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I did say this to smacl

"I didn't believe in God, heaven or hell before I was saved and for a time afterwards. So that part of your piece doesn't work very well. I prayed to an unbelieved in God because there was no one else to turn to."

Since I was saved (a.k.a. obtained a forever seat at God's high table) before having any evidence for God's existence, I couldn't have fulfilled the criteria you say I say is necessary.

I had something to say on this the last time you said it (30th May). It can help (genuine kindness by the lost) - but not in the direct, 'works swing the scales to salvation' sense.

What evidence do you possess now? How would you present this evidence to a person who knew nothing about your (or any other) god?

I did say this to smacl

What evidence do you possess now? How would you present this evidence to a person who knew nothing about your (or any other) god?

For the purposes of this thread everbody knows something of my (and their) God. The knowledge isn't empirical, but no matter.

I'm afraid I'm sticking to topic on the matter of justifying my position (which has stalled on the matter of the impartial observer it would seem).

The Christianity forum is probably the place to go for your more general question.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

For the purposes of this thread everbody knows something of my (and their) God. The knowledge isn't empirical, but no matter.

I'm afraid I'm sticking to topic on the matter of justifying my position (which has stalled on the matter of the impartial observer it would seem).

The Christianity forum is probably the place to go for your more general question.

So you would rather not answer my question? Strange stance to take but that's your choice i suppose.

He thought he was. He became a born again Christian in 1983. Who gets to say if he was wrong? You? How would you tell?

Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. If he isn't then he's a lost sinner at the further end of the sin spectrum.

If he's a found sinner then he's at the same end of the sin spectrum.

All found sinners fall somewhere along the sin spectrum. Would he be worse if not a Christian (assuming he is one)? Has he 'backslidden' (a phenomenon whereby a Christian slides backwards down the spectrum?

So many questions. How would I know? I suppose by talking to him. Say he acknowledged his sin as sin but found himself entrapped in hatred. I'd understand that: knowing what its like to know how I should live but finding I can't.

Also, you said you were saved but didn't yet believe in God. So what was the evidence that you had already been saved?

I could look back when I had more understanding and see, in retrospect, the point at which I was saved. I didn't know it at the time though
    (Not that I expect a straight answer to this, but I'm just pointing out a couple of the more glaring problems with what you say.)

Hopefully straightforward enough?

Like yourself, LVF commander Pastor Billy Wright certainly claimed he was, and like yourself claimed he could murder all he liked because he was already saved.

So you would rather not answer my question? Strange stance to take but that's your choice i suppose.

I would have thought it would be obvious rather than strange.

Let's say I start giving reasons for my certainty (to folk who aren't impartial). Those same folk, who have found their worldview higher ground isn't anyway as high as they thought, will leap thankfully on the opportunity offered by thread recalibration (the disappearance of the need for an impartial onlooker).

They will, sure as night follows day, start challenging on the basis of their worldview (as if that established higher ground). "No empirical evidence"

You might as well open the stable door..

• Advertisement

Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. If he isn't then he's a lost sinner at the further end of the sin spectrum.

If he's a found sinner then he's at the same end of the sin spectrum.

All found sinners fall somewhere along the sin spectrum. Would he be worse if not a Christian (assuming he is one)? Has he 'backslidden' (a phenomenon whereby a Christian slides backwards down the spectrum?

So many questions. How would I know? I suppose by talking to him. Say he acknowledged his sin as sin but found himself entrapped in hatred. I'd understand that: knowing what its like to know how I should live but finding I can't?
    Why do you need to talk to him to know? Why not just take his word for it?

You seem to be saying that you can be the judge of whether or not he's saved - as I say, he always considered that he was, after his "born again" experience. So why do you need to talk to him to find out whether he's right or not, and what makes you a better judge than him?
    I could look back when I had more understanding and see, in retrospect, the point at which I was saved. I didn't know it at the time though
    This really is the question that interests me : how did you know, in retrospect?

And why are you somewhat reluctant to to take Billy Wright at his word about himself when you believe that you are capable of judging for yourself?
    Hopefully straightforward enough?
    Still seems a bit inconsistent TBH. For the reasons I've pointed out above.
    But if you can explain what it was that told you, even in hindsight, that you were saved, then quite possibly yes.

Advertisement