Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pumps.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Hogzy wrote: »
    Oil prices have been going up the last 5-6 weeks. OPEC hasnt increased production in line with economies opening up so its putting a squeeze on barrell prices.

and maybe the suez canal holdup a few months back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

fryup wrote: »
    and maybe the suez canal holdup a few months back?

How long can the use that excuse for everything?, Someones lining there pockets here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭deezell

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    How long can the use that excuse for everything?, Someones lining there pockets here.

The last sting of the dying wasp. Within 10 years there will be so many electric cars powered by roof PV panels that fossil sales will collapse. In 25 years OPEC will not be able to give away crude oil. We'll all be driving electric, they'll be driving camels, and Elon Musk will own Man City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

deezell wrote: »
    The last sting of the dying wasp. Within 10 years there will be so many electric cars powered by roof PV panels that fossil sales will collapse. In 25 years OPEC will not be able to give away crude oil. We'll all be driving electric, they'll be driving camels, and Elon Musk will own Man City.

Oil is used for a lot more than cars and people have been calling peak oil for a long time, it's nowhere near yet.

By the time oil is no longer used for the majority of vehicles no one will be driving, it'll be level 5 autonomous vehicles for all and neither are anywhere near.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Oil is used for a lot more than cars and people have been calling peak oil for a long time, it's nowhere near yet.

By the time oil is no longer used for the majority of vehicles no one will be driving, it'll be level 5 autonomous vehicles for all and neither are anywhere near.

Have you read of Musk's autonomous electric car pool plan? You can own one, drive to work. Park. A rental user can take from there, or it will autonomously drive to his location. After a busy day, it will return to you in work, or in the pub, and bring you home, plastered across the back seats. Sounds a bit like a rural family car in the 70s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,317 ✭✭✭CoBo55

A lotta Doc Brown and Marty McFly going on here:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Created this thread 4 months ago and got a bit of stick in it tbh

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116288508

The Maxol mentioned is 152.5 now - Other stations in Ennis around 149-151 too.

Where is the line eventually drawn. Just as long as oil prices go up stations do the same? Surely there's a gap in the market for a station to break-even on fuel and charge even 139.9 or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭EarWig

€1.55 for petrol at my local - highest i ever seen it:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭mikeecho

€1.55 for petrol at my local - highest i ever seen it:(

Back when oil was $100+ I remember it being €1.649, maybe a little more.

I filled the car and it came to €100.

Gone be the days when you could go from empty to full, hand in a 50, and expect notes in change.

• Advertisement

mikeecho wrote: »

and when was that?

and when was that?

Heres a link to the AA listing average prices over the years.

https://www.theaa.ie/~/media/Historical-fuel-prices/FuelpricesHistory_Apr-20.ashx?la=en

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

mikeecho wrote: »

I filled the car and it came to €100.

Gone be the days when you could go from empty to full, hand in a 50, and expect notes in change.

Yeah I paid 161.9 cent back in April 2012, however I did pay 168.9 cent in Dec 2011 for diesel, but that was in Lisburn so I'll not going to count that fill ;)

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186612-i487-k5485490-Killarney_County_Kerry.html

A TripAdvisor review/report complaining of high petrol prices in 2012. €1.68/l

Now on top of expensive fuel, used car prices have rocketed. And BTW, Colm McCarthy, who is always on the money, stated today that as soon as electric vehicles gain market dominance, with fossil fuel cars penalised beyond affordability and availability, all EV subsidies will vanish, and normal extortionate tax will apply. Expect €50K for a f*****g Nissan leaf. And 50% VAT on your charger bill. Government have to replace the cash cow somehow, like for like. You didn't really think you could drive 200 EV miles in the future without revenue trousering at least €16-20 off you?

well i filled to the brim at applegreen today @129 petrol - so that's me happy for the week

before i go back to extortionate prices🙄

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I passed a petrol station yesterday and saw the price for petrol as 127c and assumed they meant 157c and so did not call in, but as I passed realised it was an Apple station, so called back later to fill the car for €50 odd. Well pleased. (It was 24.7 cents off the current price).

Must have been someone's birthday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭beachhead

Lucky you.That was a one day Birthday celebration by Applegreen.Round here it was cheap car wash and ice cream only

They had the reduced fuel (reduced by 24.7¢) for 2hrs 47min. ... Sometime around lunchtime.

I was hoping for 99¢ or 24.7¢ fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Do other petrol station chains do similar 'flash' sales ??

Applegreen do a sale every 24th July.

In some towns/ villages other stations might price match the promo.

2yrs ago AG sold fuel for 99.9c , for most of the day, the local circle k , price matched.

Generally stations don't do flash sales., Unless it's for an official opening etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There was a sale like that near Stillorgan a few years ago . It caused chaos, and a massive traffic jam. Gardai were trying unsuccessful to control it. They should have stopped the sale as it was so bad.

the guards were probably filling up themselves☺️

No, they were being driven demented by all the drivers trying to get into the filling station, stopping (illegally) in the bus lane, trying to barge into the line of cars blocking the bus lanes, and drivers generally acting the maggot.

The Gardai should have issued FPNs for the bus lanes and removed any advantage of the cut price fuel.

i swear there's a petrol pump at my local that not calibrated correctly, cause i seem to be getting more than i should😋 going to keep stumm until they get wise to it

• Advertisement

I got a fill from an uncalibrated pump years ago, it magically put in 4 litres more than my tank would normally hold. I dropped an email to the Legal Metrology office, (weights and measures, not the weatherman's solicitors), and they paid the place a visit. Who would even notice a pump filling short by 3-5%, unless you were in the habit of filling full from in the red.

^^^^^^^^^^^

😶 but why report a pump thats giving too much?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Say guy has a 50 litre tank, and fills up. Charged for 54 litres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You know this is a mad coincidence but I have been thinking over the past week that I came across a badly calibrated pump(I'm thinking on purpose too) as I was empty and the tank filled up way more than it should and I filled up in another place a while back at the same empty mark and it took at least 8 litres less.

Maximum permissable error is +- 0.5%, that's a quarter litre on a 50l fill. An 8 litre fill error is outrageous, even allowing that your tank was a bit emptier the second time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That why I have suspicions and have been thinking about it the past week and then above was posted which made me even more suspicious. You are right 8 litres is not an error in my tank it is a badly calibrated pump. No tank holds 8 litres below empty.

If your car has a refuel or low fuel warning it usually will ping at 100-140km range. The actual fuel gauge warning light that comes on and stays on would be about 10% fuel capacity depending on model, but 5-7 litres is average, so there is a bit of room for the volume of refill depending on how much you drive after the little yellow pump lights up. I've multiple warnings on mine, the refuel notification, which offers to turn on sat navigation to the nearest pumps. Then the yellow pump permanently at about 100km range, then later the red area of the gauge lights up. Finally, the range will stall at maybe 20km, then depending on driving, cruising or in slow urban, it will just go to zero. At that point I estimate I've under 2 litres left, squeaky bum time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Punishment for allowing the tank to get completely empty 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Do you know the actual capacity of your tank compared to how much you filled it by, and at what point your car starts warning you on low fuel? On my Prius there are still 9 litres left (out of a 45 litre tank) when the fuel gauge starts flashing on the last bar (with an initial beep/message on startup). I typically drive another 80 km or so before starting to worry about refuelling, and there's usually at least 5 litres still in the tank by then.

That's probably an extreme example but it varies greatly between brands.

Similar for me too on more litres going in than usual.

Thing usually clicks at 410 miles but on my last fill I got it to 440 without it clicking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Strange one that.

Going by my manual, and just looking now on the net, my car takes 55 litres.

This morning My dash was telling me i had 80km left. It does average 5l per 100Km give or take. I figured the car would take 52 or 53 litres at most. The needle was still a mm from rock bottom.

It took "55litres" and I could probably have squeezed another 250ml in.

It would be difficult to be certain that a higher than normal fill was due to a pump giving short measure or your tank was extra far into its reserve. You can only estimate the amount based on how far you have driven after the permanent fuel light shows, but after a good number of fills, you'll get a feel for whats right, and a big deviation from this will ring alarm bells.

Sometimes dodgy stations with lower prices are not the best idea. There was a time there a few years ago that a West of Ireland local paper reported that people were driving into Galway City for fuel, such was the risk of washed diesel, diluted fuel and other scams which had reached epidemic proportions in the more western areas. At least an incorrectly metered pump won't harm your engine, just a minor dent in your pocket.

Price of the barrel has dropped

but as always the forecourts drag their heels to do same at the pumps🤨

I think that's because they wait to empty their tanks filled at the higher wholesale price, otherwise their margin is affected. Tbh, fuel is a very low margin business, compared to a pint in a pub at €5, or the €4 rump steak served with chips for €29 that I seen on a menu last night on my first return to a restaurant in over a year. Service stations make their money on coffees, toffees and jumbo breakfast rolls. Did coffee prices drop when the vat dropped? Did it hell, but went up when the vat rate was restored, but that's a discussion for a different angry thread!

Come on. The second there’s a sniff of rises, forecourts raise their prices. They don’t wait till their next fill etc.

Curious to see if prices even will come down any bit.

• Advertisement

Reread last two comments. They referred to the Tardiness of forecourts in dropping their prices, not raising them. Of course they will raise them while they have a full tank at the pre increase wholesale price, but it depends on all the other stations doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

The rise in the barrell of oil is never ending...are we looking at €2.00lt before the end of the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

simple answer - no.

The barrel of oil only represents about 50c (41c + vat) of the 1.60 you are paying.

Oil would need to go to $120+ for €2/L and that won't happen as the taps would be turned on well before that.

If oil was free, you'd still be paying almost €1.10/litre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

survey after survey has been done on this and it has been proven (including by CCPC) the rises and falls happen much within the same timeframe as each other.

However the human mind will notice something that negatively affects them more often than something that does not negatively affect them. Hence it seems prices rise faster because you notice that more than a price drop

Why is it though that stations in some towns have such higher prices than in other towns. That’s more what I would complain about. Hardly just a simple case of supply and demand. That’s what really gets me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭9935452

If oil was free i think it would be closer to the euro a litre.

I got fills last year at a euro a litre

^^ where?

Filled up in 2020 for €1.13 at one stage, but it took a month to use it, couldn't go anywhere. More seriously, I filled my heating tank for €504 last October, refill this March was €655, next refill around October is €850 and rising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I use Waze to get the latest prices for fuel. But its not updated that often.

I always try to update it even when i am a passenger passing a garage, but you have to stopped at the garage to be able to update the prices in the app now. So no wonder nobody updates it anymore.

Pumps.ie used to be fantastic. It saved me a fortune over the years. Gone to sh!t now though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Waste of time unfortunately.

They have to advise them in advance of which pump they are coming to inspect. I sh1t you not. Used to anyway.

Went through the same thing 15 years ago, got 65l into a 55l car tank. Owner did cartwheels trying to show me how everything was in order....

I worked in oil distribution for years and wasn't listening to his crap. Weights and measures were worse than useless, as above.

Advertisement