Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events & gig buddies

Options
  • 02-11-2010 8:18pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭

One of the ongoing appeals of London is that there's almost always something on. This thread is for sharing the love (ie event listings) and also finding other people who want to go to events.

If you're looking for stuff to do, check out the listings at Timeout or Spoonfed.

Please try and follow this template for any events you're posting, to make sure we've got as much info as possible:
    What?
    When?
    Where?
    How much?
    Link for more info:

If you're looking for folks to go to a gig/event with you, say so in your post. Anyone interested in joining you should either PM you or reply in-thread.

If you do arrange to meet up with a gig buddy, you're strongly encouraged to take sensible anti-pedobear steps, like:
    • arrange to meet in a well-lit public place (eg a pub, the foyer of a cinema)
    • if possible, bring a friend along with you
    • let someone know where you're going and when you'll be home
    • don't give out a whole load of personal information like where you live and work
    • make sure you know where you're going and how you'll get to and from the venue

FYI - this is not a thread for selling, swapping or requesting tickets. If you wish to sell, swap or request tickets, please use adverts.ie.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've moved all the stuff from last year to the What's on (archive) thread, so that we can keep this thread reasonably current. I'll make some time over the weekend to review stuff that's on at the minute, but in the meantime if you're looking for folks to go to gigs, theatre outings, or anything else that's on, post up the details here.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I haven't had time to pull together a roundup of upcoming events, but if anyone's around this evening, the latest Alternative Drinks organised by my friend Tim are on:

When: Wednesday 6th February, from 7.30pm
    Where: The College Arms, downstairs function room (Google Map)
    What: So we’ll be at the lovely College Arms in the Tottenham Court Rd area, barely 4 mins from TCR tube station and less from Goodge St, in their downstairs function room. I’ve got access to their sound system (and their plasma screen, but that’s another story!) so it’ll be the usual awesome mix of 60’s-00’s alternative crowdpleasers over a good few drinks with some lovely folk... As always the remit is pretty wide (Music, SF, Film, Comics, etc) but entirely for everyone who enjoys a drink and a laugh.

I should/i] be along (depending on whether this bloody cold gets any worse), but they're a friendly bunch anyway so if you fancy meeting some new faces you can just turn up. (Feel free to text/PM me if you'd prefer to have at least one familiar face around when you get there).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

While I think of it.

Picked up a ticket for the Postal Service this morning in the Brixton Academy on 20th May. If anyone is going sure give me a shout

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

http://www.craftbeerrising.co.uk/

For those of you who enjoy craft beers, this might be of interest to you this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

This is pretty late notice but I've just seen that Carmen is finishing at the Royal Albert Hall this coming Sunday. The cheapest tickets available are at £39 but this ticks a big box on my 'Cultural Things Wot Must Be Done' list. Anyone interested?

• Advertisement

Camera Obscura at Heaven Thurs 6th June if anyone fancies. I just grabbed a ticket

Will be at Beach House at Shepard's Bush Empire on 26th March also if anyone is around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Reekwind wrote: »
    This is pretty late notice but I've just seen that Carmen is finishing at the Royal Albert Hall this coming Sunday. The cheapest tickets available are at £39 but this ticks a big box on my 'Cultural Things Wot Must Be Done' list. Anyone interested?

Hey just seeing this now and would really like to head to it if you're still going? I love the songs from Carmen, but have never actually seen it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Finding the buying process for concert tickets in London a bit confusing.

In Ireland, Ticketmaster is the only dog in town and you wouldn't usually buy off any other website but Ticketmaster. When I've tried to buy tickets for gigs in London, there is a range of different websites selling them. For example, some tickets show up as sold out on Ticketmaster UK but are available on other websites? Are these other websites legit and official?

They're grand. I'm sure I've used most of them in the past. Crowd Surge, Live nation, Ticket web, Stargreen, Eventime all spring to mind

I go through songkick for most stuff though I've not used any of the resellers for tickets above face value

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Comedy night at the NLT Thursday night if anyone's interested, I'm going to book a table tomorrow and will report back with a link when on a pc rather than my phone :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Comedy night at the NLT Thursday night if anyone's interested, I'm going to book a table tomorrow and will report back with a link when on a pc rather than my phone :-)

Me and the OH are in. Can't find the lads' FB page though

Me and the OH are in. Can't find the lads' FB page though

The NLT are FB'd here. There's nothing there yet for the comedy night (though it has informed me that Gareth's Timeline photo is a screenshot from Rocky, which I really should have expected...)

I've tweeted the NLT to see if they can give me a link but I might just ring this afternoon and book us in, saying we're regular quizzers and were told we're on the guest list.

(apologies for the giant pic of the poster)

BDOfahYCEAAj02g.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ahtfulal84

Put me down for a quiz night silvervixen if ye need numbers. I'm new in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

I'm at another event in Kensington beforehand, but I might make it up depending when that finishes.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

If you're going to come along to the comedy night, be sure to like this page on facebook first for free entry!

I probably won't be there until 7.30 or so

UPDATE: Just called the NLT to book a table for tonight and was told it's been cancelled.

:mad::mad::mad:

Just as well I was detained at work then...
    blondie83 wrote:
    Hey just seeing this now and would really like to head to it if you're still going? I love the songs from Carmen, but have never actually seen it!
    Oops, didn't see this. No, I didn't end up going. Slightly gutted to have missed it but hopefully it will come round again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

right, i know it's late notice, but have ended up with at spare ticket for sigur ros in brixton academy this evening. hope to be there about 7.30. pm me if interested please.

Modest Mouse @ Koko Thurs 11th July. Tickets on sale Fri at 9am. Will try and get one

[edit]Got one![/edit]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Has anyone been or have any interest in going to the Once musical?

Link

I'm in the middle of a West End binge at the moment and wouldn't mind fitting this one in.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

Hey, I went during the week and would recommend it. Was really enjoyable :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

BRICK (w/ Rian Johnson Q&A) & LOOPER @ The Prince Charles.

I love Brick and Rian Johnson seems to be the type of director who'd be excellent to see at a Q&A. He's usually very honest and open about his movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 spacelucy

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right thread. I've just found out the David Bowie exhibition is sold out online completely, until August, which is MENTAL. I wish I had checked sooner.

Has anyone any experience of going to the V&A and getting tickets on the day? Is this easy enough to do? I'd be gutted if I missed it :(

Camden Beach is opening again later this month at the Roundhouse. I passed by there last year and there was a massive queue, but it's supposed to be a brilliant way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Hopefully will get there this year!

http://www.roundhouse.org.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Here's one slightly from the left-field.
    But Harrods are hosting a lunch on Sunday 28th April from 1 to 5pm.
    Its a lunch made by top Italian chefs with 13 Michelin stars between them.
    http://www.identitagolose.it/sito/en/congresso_articoli.php?id_cat=52&id_art=5721

It's £150/head which includes food and drinks. (7 course lunch with wine pairings)

I snagged 2 tickets but could imagine its now sold out - though maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Woden wrote: »
    Modest Mouse @ Koko Thurs 11th July. Tickets on sale Fri at 9am. Will try and get one

[edit]Got one![/edit]

Thanks just saw that, got two!!

London Wonderground will be starting soon and runs over the summer at South Bank.

https://www.londonwonderground.co.uk/

I won free tickets for it last year and thought it was brilliant. They have a few side shows (I went to the freak show), together with fire-breathers and other quirky performers wandering around the grounds. The show I attended (Cantina) was a comedy/acrobatic/burlesque show, which took place inside a temporary cabaret venue inside a circus tent!

Well worth going to.

Princess Bride Quote-Along @ The PCC, Saturday 27th April.

If you either:
    a) don't appreciate the magnificent accomplishment in filmmaking that is The Princess Bride,
    b) don't know or appreciate the special awesomeness that is the Prince Charles

Then consider this a great opportunity to remedy these appalling character defects. It's for your own good. Heck, it's practically medicinal.

• Advertisement

Medicinal? I do not think that means what you think it means

But yes, I'm always in favour of seeing the most quotable movie ever (TM)

Advertisement